Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No one wants my money (Guitar tech search)

zeronyne

I cannot believe that, in the third most populous city in the US, it is this hard to find a super high end electric guitar tech who has a waiting list of less that 3 months.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with Chicago area techs?

Thanks

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zeronyne:

OK, how about an out of state recommendation? Anyone have a tech so good that they would blindly trust?

Yes and not too far away from you. I would blindly trust Denny Rauen with my most precious guitars. In fact I have on several occasions and he is well worth every dime.

Thanks, Ross. That place is an incredible ripoff. Good call.

OK, how about an out of state recommendation? Anyone have a tech so good that they would blindly trust?

No prob. When I lived in St. Charles I used to go there. The "tech" completely buggered up my Kramer flying V (Yeah, I know. It was the '80s).

If you're looking for the best, Mike Lull is the guy for you. He's here in Bellevue, WA. He's worked with Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Queensryche... pretty much all of the Seattle bands, with gold albums on his wall to prove it. He makes very highly regarded custom basses as well. I trust him with everything, from my $100 Oscar Schmidt to my $2k PRS. Hell of a nice guy, too!

www.MikeLull.com

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Have you checked out Music Gallery in Highland Park, Zero? They've had the same two techs for most of the past 30 years and have always provided quality service. My old buddy George only works on store stock, but Chip is the man to see for customer repairs and other service. But as I've been in Nashville for the past 12 1/2 years, I haven't seen their work in a while. (They are still there, however.)

In Nashville there are quite a few highly regarded techs. I'm most familiar with John LeVan, whose 17th Ave. shop is just off Music Row. He began his life as a guitar tech in LA, working on many of the 80's metal rockers' guitars, including Mark Slaughter. (Mark lives in Nashville now and John still does work for him.) His walls, as with Mike Lull's, are covered with recordings of the artists he techs for, now mostly country artists, session players. He installed my L.R. Baggs ribbon in the Blueridge (which he procured for me) and set it up sweet. And was very fair with pricing. His rates have probably gone up a bit as this was right when he opened the shop, after teching for several local guitar retailers. I highly recommend him, but you may find his backlog to be prohibitive.

Tony Nagy at Rok Blok is a wizard, too. (And at his own shop.) Former master luthier at Gibson.

When she's in town, his luthier parter for most of the past 5 years, Lauren Ellis, is very good, as well. (She's good friends with Seymour Duncan, if that means anything.) She hasn't worked on any of my instruments, but I've examined the work she's done on her own instruments;

• http://www.tonepros.com/lauren-ellis.jpg
    a gorgeous Baker guitar, flamed maple top in trans-blue with Tone Pros' P-90's
  • an off the shelf, Jay Turser thin body resonator (you'd never know the guitar cost less than $300!)
  • http://www.laurenellis.com/art/lauren2b.jpg
    her round-neck dobro
  • a beautiful Carvin the company sent her.

All were amazing, some because of how they were built and the high quality materials, but all were great instruments due to her setup and customizing work.

Apparently Carvin has a high opinion of both of them, too. Check out the Carvin instruction page here. I have to mention they haven't updated Tony's picture in a while. I've never seen him with long hair in the 5 or 6 years I've known him. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

You know, I've been going to my luthier for years and he is really hard to get a date with. I would bevery upset to find out that he piushed me back to accomodate you.

Guess what? He is so in demand because he is not only great, but he treats us all as if we were equal. I have to wait, you have to wait. And guess what else? The guys you have to wait for are likely the guys that you want to have working on your guitars.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

thanks guys. And I am very familiar with Mike Lull...just assumed he had a huge waiting list for repairs.

I haven't had to wait very long for repairs, mods, and set ups'n stuff from Mike.

My impression is that he does good job, does plenty o' work on guitars for the stars, and is priced acordingly.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

That's weird... I must've glanced at the "Jan 03" and missed the year after it! Oops! :o

See what happens when you stare at Lauren and try to read dates at the same time NEIL!! you badboy guitarslinger you!!! :eek::D:wave:
Nawww!!! Not Lauren. She appears to be permanently attached, if not married, to a wonderful guy who owned a Music Row studio. He remixed here second album and they added a surround version of the tracks on a DVD. When she handed me a copy it was the re-mixed version, but the video was still a year off. I just found it at that Media Play close out but didn't buy it. I'd really like to though. Have to check and see if they're still in business tomorrow. Since hardly anybody knows what a talent she is, it's likely still there.

While I'm not particularly attracted to her, I'm absolutely enamored of her guitar chops, songwriting skills, and guitar repair expertise. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived