Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what was your first record or CD?

Guitarzan

First would of been a 45, Tears of a Clown...Smokey or Jackson 5 or the Beatles,one of those.Album was Hendrix in the west,cass Hendrix

Soundtrack,Cd can't remember.First Guitar was

a red epi dot

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

closely followed by 'Telstar', The Tornados

:confused: I've never heard Telstar... were The Tornados a sort of "front" band for Joe Meeks?
Joe Meek certainly created and produced The Tornados. I think they were more of a challenge to The Shadows at the time.

They certainly did a few decent tracks and created a very unique sound for its time.

Meek's 'special friend', the bass player, Heinz, went on to have a short solo career before Meek comitted suicide.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I can't disclose what the first album (yes, vinyl) was that I owned; but lets just say that 1) it was given to me; and 2) it was from someone who's brother was in the Partridge Family. I have not replaced this with a cd nor MP3; nor have I looked for it or thought about it until you brought this topic up. Thanks, 'Zan!

First "real" album given to me: The Beatles: Rock'N'Roll Music. First bought by me: The White Album. Hey, I liked the Beatles alot.. in the late '70's.

First CD's: Chick Corea Elektric Band (1st) and John Scofield: Loud Jazz, both given to me with my cd player at Christmas ('87?). Sometimes I still listen to these; more likely to pull the Sco out. Then I went out and bought several cd's, including: Dregs: Unsung Heroes; Marillion: Clutching At Straws; GTR; Yes: Close To The Edge; and Crack The Sky: From The Greenhouse. These still get some rotation.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

when i was probably 7 or 8 i bought a cd at the local county fair from the band "catalepsy." I had no idea who they were (still dont), but at the time i bought it I thought it had a cool album cover. Yeah I know, pretty lame story :)

I really got in to Herb Alpert when I was 8. I still dig the music he was playing back in the 60's. They had great arrangements and a good sound. Kind of a mix of pop with rock beats. My dad had several of their records.

The first record I bought was Elton John's "Crocodile Rock". I still can listen to early-mid 70's Elton and like it. Great songwriting and Elton had a great voice. The lyrics were cheesy in my opinion, but the overall sound was nice.

I still can listen to this stuff now and enjoy it, as well as Led Zeppelin who kind of took over when I was 15.

Originally posted by Tedster Lombardo:

e...stuff like "Swinging Shepherd Blues" by Moe Kaufman

Aw yeah! No one can claim to have really been primed for rock n roll if they haven't heard that tune! I heard it on the radio when I was about five, and I used to whistle it all time.

Before that, My grandma gave us a bunch of 78s and a little red record player when I was about 4, and I spent a LOT of time listening to Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" on it., There were other records too, including the little yellow kids records I had, but that one is what stands out in my memory. 12 or 13 years later, Johnny Winter & Rick Derringer did Great Balls of Fire on the Live Johnny Winter And album, and I was in heaven.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The earliest one I remember was this jazz collection LP, with two songs by Django, "Nuages" and "Melodie au Crepuscule", and Big Bill Broonzy doing "Evil Hearted Me" and a great jazz vocal version of "Loch Lomand" - you take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll get to Scotland before ye..." I was about 10,and already hitting record shops and bookstores.. I think that was the day I went and saw King Kong fighting Godzilla, but maybe not..

Of course, I bought lots of rock records later, but always liked jazz and classical, too, 'cause my parents turned me on to it.

And now, 42 years later, I still go to bookstores and music stores and libraries...

PS: re King Kong vs. Godzilla, I forget who won. Maybe the current King Kong movie will update me!

Okay.... I can answer this honestly and not feel like a complete idiot.. (I think)

It was one of those K-Tel record compilations with Derick and the Dominos playing Layla, Sammy Davis Jr. did Candy Man and there might have been a little funk from somebody and Sonny & Cher doing something regretable as well.

Several years later I aquired the understanding that Layla was the only song on the record so I carved a groove from the edge to that song and then off to the centre. I could put it on the changer (yes stacked on a record changer!) and it would go straight to Layla and then off.

My God it was a terrible noise in those grooves I carved!

Yikes!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

The earliest one I remember was this jazz collection LP, with two songs by Django, "Nuages" and "Melodie au Crepuscule", and Big Bill Broonzy doing "Evil Hearted Me" and a great jazz vocal version of "Loch Lomand" - you take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll get to Scotland before ye..." I was about 10,and already hitting record shops and bookstores.. I think that was the day I went and saw King Kong fighting Godzilla, but maybe not..

WOW!!! I used to have that one!!! Well, my old man did. Ours was called something like "Jazz Digest", but they keep repackaging those things. It was a fantastic complilation and funnily enough, I've been wanting to get a copy of it.

It wasn't Big Bill Broonzy doing "Evil Hearted Me" though, it was a guy called Josh White. Broonzy did "Baby Please Don't Go". :D:D:thu:

EDIT: Actually, they've re released it in 2005, I'm DEFINITELY getting a copy! :D

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=jazz+digest+josh+white&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

For me and Vince to both have had that album seems more than coincidental somehow, but I haven't yet figured out how transcendental it is!

I don't think it means we knew each in other life or anything.... and my wife is my soulmate, and is jealous of the fact.

And Picker and me both liked "Swinging Shepherd Blues" as kids..

Does it mean "great minds think alike?" My soulmate doesn't think I have such a great mind, or at least she often thinks I am wrong... hard to imagine, I know....

Can't recall the 1st record (45) but the first album I ever owned was the Beetles Hey Jude Album (which wasn't really an album was it LOL). I recall at the time debating between it and Abby Road. For some reason chose the one I did. BTW, when I was a kid, I recall going into K-mart and buying any 45 that had a Apple label on it. That's why I can't remember the first record, but you can be pretty sure it was a Beetles song.

BTW, eneded up with a Badfinger record using my buying strategy LOL. Remember this song?

Come And Get It Lyrics By Badfinger

If you want it, here it is

Come and get it

MMM Make your mind up fast.

If you want it, anytime

I can get it

But you better hurry cause it may not last.

Did I hear you say

That there must be a catch?

Will you walk away

From a fool and his money?

Come and get it

But you better hurry 'cause it's goinn' fast.

Come and get it

MMM Make your mind up fast.

If you want it, anytime

I can get it

But you better hurry 'cause it may not last.

Did I hear you say

That there must be a catch?

Will you walk away

From a fool and his money?

Sonny...

Come and get it

But you'd better hurry 'cause it may not last

You'd better hurry 'cause it may not last.

OOOO..fool and his money

Sonny..

Come and get it

But you'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast

You'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast

You'd better hurry 'cause it'd goin' fast.

http://www.lyricz.net/B/Badfinger/92654

"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

For me and Vince to both have had that album seems more than coincidental somehow, but I haven't yet figured out how transcendental it is!

Speaking of coincidences, did you have an album called "Louis And The Good Book" as well? I'm glad they've reissued the Jazz Digest album. I was sort of in the process of buying the individual albums, but that wasn't entirely satisfactory.

Does it mean "great minds think alike?" My soulmate doesn't think I have such a great mind, or at least she often thinks I am wrong... hard to imagine, I know....

Mine thinks I have a really good mind. On the other hand, she's always pointing out that I'm completely crap at everyday, practical things such as spotting the tube of toothpaste that's on the bathroom shelf right in front of me.

Reminding me of an old drawing I saw of Albert Einstein in a grocery store shopping, completely oblivious to the world around him, writing equations on the shopping bag.. probably bought nothing that was on his list, assuming he HAD a list...

Oh, and I remember reading about how Albert was taking a violin lesson and his teacher was giving him a hard time.. "What's the matter, Albert, can't you count?? One, two, three, four...."

And most of us normal mortals have enough trouble with E = E and F# = F#, and the E = mc2 stuff we can't figure out how to apply to our music!

I guess great minds come in all colors...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

Alien Ant Farm's "truANT" back in like 2000--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really? God, how old are you? Man, I feel ancient...

Which Bill Cosby one - "Why is there air?" or the one with the routine with God and Noah?

And then Cheech and Chong were very popular in the '70s.

Do they still make comedy albums?? (INTENTIONAL comedy albums I mean!)

The one with the God and Noah skit. I think the album was called "Bill Cosby Is A Very Funny Fellow - RIGHT!(as in the voice of God). :cool:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

As a kid in the 60's I listened to several LPs that my late grandma owned, mainly ones by Tom Jones, and also both volumes of "The Best of Bill Cosby" (volume 1 included his famous skit with God and Noah). The first album that I bought on my own, around 1971 or so, was "E Pluribus Funk" by Grand Funk Railroad, and after that it was several Motown records (Diana Ross, The Supremes, Undisputed Truth) as I listened to a lot of soul/R&B as a teenager.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Archived