Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what was your first record or CD?

Guitarzan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe My first record I bought was Steve Martin's

"a Wild and Crazy Guy" stand up show when I was about 8 or 9 years old

Musicwise, I believe it was The Heavy Metal Motion Picture Soundtrack

My listening has just accumalated.

I don't listen to comics as much, and I don't really listen to too many songs w/lyrics unless they are really saying something

Originally posted by KPB:

The best I can remember, I think my first album was Kiss Alive II. In fact, I think I bought it on 8-track.

Wow! Mine was Kiss Alive. I think I was in 2nd grade when my parents bought that for me :D

My first CD was Metallica's Garage Days in '87.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

The first record I ever bought for myself was "Riders On The Storm" by The Doors. I think I also bought "The House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals at the same time. These were vinyl 45s. I didn't have anything that would play an 8-track or an lp at the time (circa 1969 I think -- I was 11).

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck:

There is no freakin way that my brain can travel back that far.

The only reason I can remember it is because we went to see the movie when it first came out and I really wanted that album. I was maybe 12 or so? Then my mom got this huge console HiFi record player monstrosity that took up half the living room wall. Then a couple of months later when Christmas rolled around, that album was under the tree for me. I think she really bought it more for herself, though...

I don't recall having any records before that. After that, though...let's see (in no particular order):

1. Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs

2. The Beatles I Wanna Hold Your Hand (single 45)

3. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Young Girl

4. Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Woman (Have you got cheating on your mind)

5. The Box Tops, The Letter

6. (I can't remember the artist), Gloria

7. The McCoys, Hang on Sloopy

8. The Young Rascals, Groovin'

9. The Young Rascals, Good Lovin'

10. The Beach Boys

11. The Ventures

That's what I can remember up until about 1966 or 1967....from there there's no way I can remember...I bought tons of albums and records after that because I had my own disposable income then.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by LPCustom:

The first record I ever bought for myself was "Riders On The Storm" by The Doors. I think I also bought "The House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals at the same time. These were vinyl 45s. I didn't have anything that would play an 8-track or an lp at the time (circa 1969 I think -- I was 11).

Oh, yeah! I forgot about House of the Rising Sun! That was one of my first, too. And one of the first Rock and Roll songs I ever learned on the guitar.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

As a young kid I remember going up the avenue to the local record shop to buy singles... Pop stuff like "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" maybe "The Night Chicago Died." I was a big KISS fan when I "got into" rock. It most likely was KISS Alive or Destroyer. Or Deep Purple Made in Japan may be one of the first also.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Beet the Meatles, or perhaps "Something New".

Before that, though, I had the single "Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should Have Known Better".

My first records were a stack of 45s my Aunt Marian gave me...stuff like "Swinging Shepherd Blues" by Moe Kaufman, "To Know Him Is To Love Him" by the Teddy Bears (a gal DooWop group)...and the one I really remember from that collection..."Heartbreak Hotel".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I was heavily discouraged from buying rock records but I was allowed to buy jazz and blues. So the first things I remember were the Misa Luba (a school prize), and LPs by Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly and Bix Beiderbecke.

My first rock thing was a casette of "Sounds Of Silence" which I found in the garbage. I still like that album. Then I pestered my olds until they bought me "Let It Bleed" by the Stones. I still listen to that too. And then I also bought the singles to Dr. Hook's "Walk Right In" and "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty. I haven't even thought about Dr. Hook for a good twnty years.

"Meet the Beatles", soon to be followed by more Beatles and just about all of the first albums of the British Invasion bands...the Stones, the Kinks, the Who (and also Herman's Hermits, Freddy and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Dave Clark Five...yeesh!)
John

I don't remember where this happened, but I went to a cousin's bar or bat mitzvah when I was 5 or 6 and we stayed at a neat, high-rise hotel with long, curved hallways. I distinctly remember my grandmother and my older brother exiting the elevator, he with a brand new record in his hands. I was very upset they'd bought him a record and hadn't bought one for me.

Grandma, mom and I went back down to the shop in the lobby of our hotel and they looked through everything for something appropriate. The only thing they found was "Free To Be You And Me", which must've been a new release at the time. I was beaming as we left the shop, and damn if that album doesn't hold up 30+ years later. Of course, it ain't rock and roll, but anything with the talents of Marla Thomas, Mel Brooks, Mean Joe Green, Carol Channing had to be great! :thu:

I've never replaced the record with a CD, but I play songs from it from time to time on piano or guitar.

About the same time I remember listening to the red and blue Beatles albums, Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and others. One of my own first rock albums was The Beach Boys - Endless Summer.

My parents also let me get Steve Martin's Wild & Crazy Guy album. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

I know this is lame, but:

It was either Jackson Browne running on empty or something by Electric Light Orchestra.

I don't think either is lame at all. I dig Jackson Browne...great stuff. ELO was a great band, until Jeff Lynne decided to try to add disco elements to commercialize the sound. But they had some phenomenal tunage.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Wornneck: we must be from the same era as those where two of my early albums, along with Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Baby and George Carlin's 7 Words. I think the very first album my brother got, as a gift, was an Elvis Presley album. I remember it had "Yellow Rose of Texas".
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

The first, I think, was Kiss' Destroyer. Shortly after that was Aerosmith's Rocks. That was a long time agao and I was pretty young then, but I still regard both of those albums to be in my top 5 rock albums.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

My older brother gave me one of The Turtle's albums when I was in the 1st grade in 1972. I really liked the album as a kid and he knew that, so when he moved out of the house with his girlfriend he gave me this album. Popular songs on the album were "Happy Together" and "It Ain't You Babe." Also, a neighbor gave me all of the Monkees albums. The first album I purchased on my own was when I was in the 5th grade and I bought the Beatle's White Album.

Archived