Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for Latin music set

skipclone 1

Hey Guys-

First, happy new year to everyone.

Second, the guys in our band have mentioned a hotel gig in late January. They had originally asked me about finding a female singer who can do Latin music, well apparently they have found someone but would like me to play and sing on a few songs. This is more my brother`s thing-I`m basically limited to La Bamba, Girl from Ipanema and Mas Que Nada (but I can sing it in Portugese, at least). Any ideas for some other songs, preferably those that don`t require a year of language lessons?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Starcaster:

Oye Como Va. Haha. Anyways, Latin music is a very broad area; much like American music is. I happen to know many, having grown up listening to it when my parents played it. So, is there a specific area of Latin music or just any old tune in Spanish?

Personally I`m not much into Cuban-style salsa-seems to me more brass band music, not really guitar related. Aside from that I don`t know what they`re looking for. At this point it`s open.

I don't know what genre of music you want to play. But I'm pretty fond of several Brasilian (not a typo) bands.

A few of my favorites are Detonauta Roque Clube, Barao Vermelho (Red Baron), and Jota Quest. Jota is how Brasilians pronounce the letter 'J'. And the J in J Quest stands for Jonny. But they couldn't name their band Jonny Quest.

Now these are rock bands. What the Brasilians call "pop rock nacional" (basically Brasilian Pop/Rock).

The Jota Quest album MTV Ao Vivo (MTV Live) is a very good album. It's a live performance and has a number of good songs both uptempo and fairly slow. Even if you don't want to play it, the CD is good to listen to.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I don't know what genre of music you want to play. But I'm pretty fond of several Brasilian (not a typo) bands.

A few of my favorites are Detonauta Roque Clube, Barao Vermelho (Red Baron), and Jota Quest. Jota is how Brasilians pronounce the letter 'J'. And the J in J Quest stands for Jonny. But they couldn't name their band Jonny Quest.

Now these are rock bands. What the Brasilians call "pop rock nacional" (basically Brasilian Pop/Rock).

The Jota Quest album MTV Ao Vivo (MTV Live) is a very good album. It's a live performance and has a number of good songs both uptempo and fairly slow. Even if you don't want to play it, the CD is good to listen to.

I have to find out more about what the hotel wants but that`s some good references.

Yeah about that alphabet-that`s about the only thing I remember from three years of Spainish. I always wonder if the 'Zeta' in Catherine Zeta Jones`s name is just an initial (Z) for her actual middle name.

IF you can find anystuff by Tito Puente or Ponco Sanchez, it ought to work. They both have a lot of horns and stuff, but you should be able to arrange around that. Sanchez had the late great Celia Cruz as his female vocalist, and she really cooked right up till she died. Good stuff, Maynard...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived