Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB cable question:

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a dumb question.

Are you gonna plug the mike right into a usb port?

Doesn't the mike need a preamp?

I always thought it would be preferable to plug a mic into a preamp or mixing board then rout to a audio interface through the usb.

Does the mic have a pre-amp? I guess that sounds sorta cool though.

My take on your question. It should not matter since it is a digital signal. There should be neglible noise, no matter how long the cable, but each component or plug-in added to the chain will add more distortion. How long it the cable that came with the mic? I think it would be hard to find a usb cable longer that 6 feet.

It does come with a USB cable according to the websites.

Sorry about misunderstanding. I thought you'd gone for the Snowball.

As for the length, that's a computer question, not an audio question. USB systems have limits on length, though I'm not familiar with them.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

posted 12-25-2005 12:58 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hey, Lee, you need to buy the $79 Samson C01, direct to USB mic.

It's plug and play for recording. That and even the most simple recording software (Heck, you could use sound recorder that comes with Windows!) and you're in business with a lot better quality than your infinitely more difficult method.

Learn more here!

MORE INFO: The C01U USB Studio Condenser Mic is the first affordable studio condenser mic with a direct USB output.

For the first time ever, musicians who record music on computers have a simple, affordable way to capture high-quality vocal and acoustic instrument performances. Seamless integration was the idea, and it was obtained by creating a studio condenser microphone that can be plugged into any computer with no in/out boxes, no expensive computer pre-amps, just a USB cable.

The C01U condenser microphone is based on Samson's wildly successful C01. It features a 19mm internal shock mounted diaphragm with a cardioid pick up pattern ensuring pristine studio quality recordings.

The C01U works perfectly on any computer, Mac or PC, and with any DAW software program. It immediately solves a huge problem for users of many laptops, many of which have no other input method for audio devices.

Features:

Industrys first affordable USB studio condenser mic

Plugs in directly to any computer with a USB input

Cardioid pickup pattern

Large 19mm diaphragm

Heavy gauge mesh grill

Smooth, flat frequency response

USB connection cable included

--------------------

hay thanks Neil...will give it a read ..well it's 3:00 it should be here any minute!! :D:thu: ALSO.. I PM'ed Neil earlier in the week about buying TWO of these mic's and my question was if I plugged one into each usb port would the software SEE both mic's and do the distribution or assignment to each stereo channel....we where kicking that question around a bit....wanna kick it more here? because we are not sure ..but we think it might work that way?????

Here\'s some info from MOTU regarding USB as it pertains to their products, but it appears to be a general statement.

And here\'s some USB extenders that claim to extend devices to 150' of cable. :eek:

This 4 port powered USB extender looks like a handy piece of kit, BUT, where are you going to get a *really long* USB CABLE to use with it - unless the same company can supply them?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Grandad Geoff:

Here\'s some info from MOTU regarding USB as it pertains to their products, but it appears to be a general statement.

And here\'s some USB extenders that claim to extend devices to 150' of cable. :eek:

This 4 port powered USB extender looks like a handy piece of kit, BUT, where are you going to get a *really long* USB CABLE to use with it - unless the same company can supply them?

Geoff

could we make one??? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/359.gif or would that be a no-no?

Originally posted by ellwood:

hay thanks Neil...will give it a read ..well it's 3:00 it should be here any minute!! :D:thu: ALSO.. I PM'ed Neil earlier in the week about buying TWO of these mic's and my question was if I plugged one into each usb port would the software SEE both mic's and do the distribution or assignment to each stereo channel....we where kicking that question around a bit....wanna kick it more here? because we are not sure ..but we think it might work that way?????

If you plug the mikes into the USB ports on the PC, then it should see two different mikes, and if the software allows, you ought to be able to configure the independently.

If you plug them into that 4 port powered, though, it'll only see one device.

To get independence, you'd need to go for 2 of the single boosters, and there's still the question of a long USB cable to connect.

I stand corrected, I see from the ad that the connection is made via CAT5 network cable.

That'll work.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

If the mike draws power from the USB, then you'd *need* the powered extender.

I'm not sure if the software would see to separate mikes through that - it should.

G.

Sorry I've had to work. ;)

BTW - I've tried editing that URL every which way, to no avail. I'll edit it out in a minute.

I still think it will see two mics, as Geoff agreed. How does it appear in the recording software? What name appears? I assume it will add a "1" or "A" to the second one.

The mic definitely draws power from the USB port, Geoff. It requires 48v phantom power and, according to the website, draws it from the USB connection. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sorry I've had to work. ;)

BTW - I've tried editing that URL every which way, to no avail. I'll edit it out in a minute.

I still think it will see two mics, as Geoff agreed. How does it appear in the recording software? What name appears? I assume it will add a "1" or "A" to the second one.

The mic definitely draws power from the USB port, Geoff. It requires 48v phantom power and, according to the website, draws it from the USB connection. ;)

Hay NEIL! doesn't your boss know we have serious Forum ..mic stuff to discuss here!!! :D:rolleyes::eek: Tell them they will have to just wait!

• 5 months later...
Hey Lee. What was the result? Are you using two C01's or one? If two, does it see them as separate devices, a la two identical USB flash memory devices? Can you use two or more into your computer at once, provided your software can assign them as separate inputs? Could you conceivably still use the analog, 1/8" jack input on Soundblaster compatable sound cards as another two channels?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived