Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Since we're talking about ancient bands...

Eric Iverson

An offshot of the Doors thread.

I don't think about '60s bands too much, although I am from that era and remember wishing I could be a hippie when I was 14.

I liked the San Francisco bands a lot. Some albums from that era, when I checked them at a local record store not long ago, really disappointed me:

1. Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead

2. After Bathing At Baxters - Jefferson Airplane

But I did recently buy Country Joe's first album, Electric Music For the Mind and Body, and I still like it for some reason. Not that I plan to run out and buy anything else by them!

Hendrix and the Beatles still sound great, and lots of Motown and other soul stuff. And the first two Quicksilver albums had some great stuff!

What I like about that era was the Wild West attitude of creativity and mixing idioms.. the musicians were not necessarily on a high level of technical or harmonic sophistication, but it wasn't canned.. they weren't afraid to TRY things. They weren't encased in a bunch or rigid rules.

I wish there was more of that attitude today - yes I know there are plenty of creative guys out there - you just don't hear too much of it on the radio!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well see I HAVE to be involved in Classic or ancient material cuz that's what we do, on some of it I have to play down for the guitar parts to be right. Quick Silver material is some great stuff and alot of covering these tunes has to do with having allot of peddle board effects or combination of effects. If you have too you can get pretty darn close these groups studio sounds. Yea Beatles,Stones,Animals,QS,Bay City Rollers ( :rolleyes: ) Blind Faith,Traffic etc.

I'm sick of the bloody sixties. Countless late nite TV ads tell me what a wonderful decade it was and, well... I suppose it must have been, but I can't FEEL it. It's like somebody wrote about seeing old newsreels of Jessie Owens. You can tell that he's fast and you see him win and so on but it's not the same as watching a modern day race.

Oh, and through most of the sixties, guys had horrible puddingbowl haircuts and wore shit that these days, people wouldn't even wear on a bet. That certainly doesn't help my appreciation of that erstwhile decade.

ADDED: It's not the MUSIC I'm sick of, it's just those horrible late night commercials that try to get me all nostalgic for a time I never really knew, in the hope of selling me a box set of whatever. A lot of the music I can take or leave. I think the best part of the sixties happened in the early seventies, if you get my drift. Same bands, (except for the Beatles) and better music.

Yes a valid point Vince it is impossiable to put yourself into the past because it was a different kind of world then...war in a ongoing state of depression for all ages. What gets me back there if only for a few hours is the opportunity to play that material at near concert levels, you as a musician do feel it for awhile, sometimes it feels very strange.

Originally posted by ellwood:

What gets me back there if only for a few hours is the opportunity to play that material at near concert levels, you as a musician do feel it for awhile, sometimes it feels very strange.

PLAYING the music is a very different kettle of fish, you are making it come alive and all that. YOu add to it and re arrange it and mix and match it and all that.

It's very different to the baby boomer nostalgia trip. Yours is proactive.

Nostalgia is fun on occasion, but quickly gets boring! We're not out to pasture yet, "old rocking chair's got me... silver threads among the gold.. yesterday when I was young...."

Re: late night TV stuff - well, for that audience, a) they really do like the music, and b) like remembering their teenage years. They're not thinking in creative terms - the musician's mentality is far different from theirs.

Local educational TV has all those nostalgia shows featuring acts from back in the day. The problem is, some of these people can no longer sing or play very well (if they could in the first place). But if you loved a song in the old days, why would you want to hear it butchered 35 years later? It's embarrassing!

Of course we COULD go out and buy some love beads and stick flowers in the barrels of soldiers' guns.... start a counterculture or something...

I generally don't listen to much rock music from the 60s. I love blues and rock and roll from the 50s and most of my remaining playlist is from '75 to the present (with the majority of that from between '80 and '90). There are exceptions - I periodically have Booker T, Hendrix or Beatles jags when I listen to pretty much nothing else for a couple of weeks. However, most of it either I never liked (e.g., the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe) or I've been burned out on it (e.g., the Stones, the Doors, Janis Joplin).

Bay City Rollers? Sixties?

Tut Tut!!!

I'm afraid they turned into a bad joke over here, and that's coming from another Scot.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/359.gif

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Grandad Geoff:

Bay City Rollers? Sixties?

Tut Tut!!!

I'm afraid they turned into a bad joke over here, and that's coming from another Scot.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/359.gif

Geoff

Yea I know Geoff! that's why I put it in the list!! they did the same thing here too. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/359.gif

I think we all feel a bond to the music we grew up on. For me it is the stuff from 1956-70. Beatles, Stones, Brit Invasion, Motown, Four Seasons, all the Top 40 from those years, The San Francisco Hippie scene, etc.

I have a great Jefferson Airplane story...

August 15th, 1971, 2 friends and I (all 15 yrs old) hitchhike to the Jersey Shore to see the Airplane. We camp out in the woods, go the the show the next day in the blistering heat. After the show we just walk backstage, hang out with Jorma, Jack and Papa John Creach. We shared a pipe with them. I hand it it to Papa John and it goes out. He looks at me in in that old grumpy voice says "Boy, you can't keep yer home fires burnin'!". We saw Grace Slikck and paul Kantner, but they had nothing to do with us. We left and hitched to the Asbury Patk boardwalk. It's now late and we have no money, no food and no way to get home. Then we ran into a priest from my church who gave us a ride home!

Originally posted by Picker:

A year or two ago, I bought a copy of MC5's first album. Wow, were they always so out of tune with each other? Either my ear has improved or the recording has degraded...

You mean "Kick Out The Jams"? I think it's such an adrenalin rush of an album that things such as whether they are in tune with each other sort of lose relevance. :) Complaining about that is just carping or churlish or something.

Just my 2c worth...

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Carping and churlish? If you can't carp and churl once in a while, what's the point?

Yeah, I know. If you can't say stuff on the Internet, what's the Internet for?

But it's just that... to say that (gulp!) "Kick Out The Jams" is not a good album. Well, shit, you may as well say the Sun revolves around the Earth: interesting concept, but completely unthinkable. At least to me. ;)

A year or two ago, I bought a copy of MC5's first album. Wow, were they always so out of tune with each other? Either my ear has improved or the recording has degraded...

Yea they where pretty much all the time, it made the pigs in the street freak out, there is nothing wrong with the condition of your record.

Ranting and Raving... sounds like a law firm, doesn't it?? I wonder what MC5 did after they grew up - did they become attorneys, maybe, or politicians??

Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish DID become an attorney, come to think of it!

I once read a book about what some famous rock artists of the '70s did in later life .. an interesting read!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

[qb]You mean "Kick Out The Jams"? I think it's such an adrenalin rush of an album that things such as whether they are in tune with each other sort of lose relevance. :) Complaining about that is just carping or churlish or something.

Just my 2c worth...

Well, at 16 it was an adrenaline rush. At 52, I think "why didn't I notice before?". I guess becoming a carping churl is part of the aging process...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived