Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1918526 - 03/29/08 09:32 PM Cheap Trick 12 string bass
Joe Bloe Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I just got back from the Joan Jett/Cheap Trick concert at NIU (DeKalb).

Joan Jett put on a really good show! Her bass player wasn't very exciting, he used a pick and played a lot of root notes. Joan looks great and put on a good show.

Cheap Trick also put on a good show...

My questions is about Tom's 12 string bass. Is each set of 3 strings tuned as 3 octaves? Are the higher strings recessed so that you can control playing the higher notes by how deep you pick?

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

BP Island
#1918573 - 03/30/08 03:08 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Joe Bloe]
... Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

12-string basses are as follows:

2 strings that are an octave higher than the normal bass string.
1 string that is the normal bass string.

In that order low to high. The 2 octave strings actually sound better when they are just slightly out of tune with one another. How much out of tune is totally up to your own experimentation.

#1918604 - 03/30/08 05:45 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Joe Bloe]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
 Originally Posted By: Joe Bloe

Joan Jett put on a really good show! Her bass player wasn't very exciting, he used a pick and played a lot of root notes. Joan looks great and put on a good show.

If it fit the music, then he made the right choices. I just don't hear Jaco-esque bass lines in "I Love Rock'n'Roll" \:D

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#1918661 - 03/30/08 07:21 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
moot Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: My Moms Basement
 Originally Posted By: EddiePlaysBass

If it fit the music, then he made the right choices. I just don't hear Jaco-esque bass lines in "I Love Rock'n'Roll" \:D

He was probably having a hard time staying awake.

That 12er must be a bear to fret!

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

#1918800 - 03/30/08 12:40 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: moot]
Joe Bloe Offline

Yeah, I would think that the 12 string would need to be setup with low action or it would wear your hand out. But seeing as they only played for about 1.5 hours...

I would love to try one some time to see how hard it is to play. Can you use fingers on an 8/12 or is a pick mandatory?

#1918806 - 03/30/08 12:51 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Joe Bloe]
... Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I would think that the 12 string would need to be setup with low action or it would wear your hand out. But seeing as they only played for about 1.5 hours...

I would love to try one some time to see how hard it is to play. Can you use fingers on an 8/12 or is a pick mandatory?

Low-ish action certainly helps though they are not nearly as difficult to play as you might think. The 12-string Hamers that I've had previously were a dream to play. My 8-string Rogue is very easy to play as well.

The 12-string is nearly impossible to play finger style; a pick is pretty much a necessity. The 8-string can easily be played finger style. This actually surprised me a lot.

#1919567 - 03/31/08 04:48 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: ...]
Big Red 67 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramento
That bass has a huge sound!!!

#1919617 - 03/31/08 06:50 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Big Red 67]
Joe Bloe Offline

Originally Posted By: Big Red 67

Joan Jett's set sounded pretty good. The bass, keyboards and backing vocals were a little weak, but Joan's voice and the guitars sounded great. It didn't have a chest thumping bass, but it was really clear.

Unfortunately Cheap Trick sounded "muddy". It was about 20% louder than Joan's set. But none of the instruments or the vocals sounded clear. The bass was a lot stronger and more chest thumping, but overall it was a disappointing mix. I was sitting about 15 rows back right in front of the sound/lighting boards, so they were hearing was I was hearing. It was disappointing that they couldn't correct for it. It appears that they went for decibels over clarity. So, it was kinda hard to hear Tom's huge bass sound.

#1921613 - 04/04/08 01:04 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Joe Bloe]
Ironstorm Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have had a 8 string and a 12 string warrior basses for a little bit of time. The 8 string was a breeze to play the 12 string when played finger style would rip the callasis from my finger tips a real bear to play for an hour IMO
Ibanez SR500
Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5
Two Genz-Benz Neox 1x12T cabs
Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab

#1921716 - 04/04/08 07:26 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Ironstorm]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
My buddy has a 12-string Galveston bass as well as a Hamer 12 that I like to pluck on... they're so much fun... and they sound HUGE! The tuning part is a little annoying, but they're just powerful instruments... it's a little like riding a rhino to work--totally out of hand and sorta over-the-top, but damned if you don't get the right of way whenever you want it.
--Sun Tzu

#1921939 - 04/04/08 01:54 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Joe Bloe]
Big Red 67 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramento

Joan Jett's set sounded pretty good. The bass, keyboards and backing vocals were a little weak, but Joan's voice and the guitars sounded great. It didn't have a chest thumping bass, but it was really clear.

Unfortunately Cheap Trick sounded "muddy". It was about 20% louder than Joan's set. But none of the instruments or the vocals sounded clear. The bass was a lot stronger and more chest thumping, but overall it was a disappointing mix. I was sitting about 15 rows back right in front of the sound/lighting boards, so they were hearing was I was hearing. It was disappointing that they couldn't correct for it. It appears that they went for decibels over clarity. So, it was kinda hard to hear Tom's huge bass sound.

I have seen that happen at Cheap Trick shows. I wonder why the sound guys push the P.A. so far when they do Cheap Trick. Does the band require a certain DB level???

#1921951 - 04/04/08 02:55 PM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: The Bear Jew]
... Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CMDN
My buddy has a 12-string Galveston bass as well as a Hamer 12 that I like to pluck on... they're so much fun... and they sound HUGE! The tuning part is a little annoying, but they're just powerful instruments... it's a little like riding a rhino to work--totally out of hand and sorta over-the-top, but damned if you don't get the right of way whenever you want it.

You're sorta over-the-top.

#1924723 - 04/10/08 03:55 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: ...]
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey
Tom Petersson's still playing the Waterstone 12 string, isn't he? I think they look pretty sweet. I think ClatterAmy was playing one IIRC

#1924849 - 04/10/08 07:56 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Big Red 67]
kenfxj Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
I have seen that happen at Cheap Trick shows. I wonder why the sound guys push the P.A. so far when they do Cheap Trick. Does the band require a certain DB level???

I remember seeing Cheap Trick in '79 in Hempstead LI at the Calderone Concert Hall. The volume would have been a bit extreme for Giants Stadium.

I've been to many, many shows in small clubs, big clubs, theaters, arenas, stadiums. I've seen the great British volume kings (The Kinks come to mind, seen The Who many times). Cheap Trick was the only show I've ever been to where I felt the Db level was over the top. My ears rang for over a week.

#1924972 - 04/10/08 11:02 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: kenfxj]
Tom Capasso Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wantagh ,NY,UNITED STATES
 Originally Posted By: kenfxj
I remember seeing Cheap Trick in '79 in Hempstead LI at the Calderone Concert Hall....

Aaahh the memories. I grew up right near there. The Calderone was a movie theatre for many years (I saw Mary Poppins, and later The Exocist there). My late 70s band played in a bar in the adjoining set of stores for a few years. We always hoped to get some of the "spill" from the concerts. The only band I ever saw there was Todd Rundgren's Utopia in '78 - great show.
</old memories>

Tom

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

#1924979 - 04/10/08 11:15 AM Re: Cheap Trick 12 string bass [Re: Tom Capasso]
The Bear Jew Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia,PA,UNITED STATES
you're an old memory.
--Sun Tzu