Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1875799 - 01/19/08 08:15 AM Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist?
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
There's always the obvious stuff with a female-fronted cover band - Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benatar, etc. So I'm trying to think a little outside the box (while still staying with known favorites)

Fire away with suggestions. We're having our first informal "practice" between the instrumentalists today.

Right off the bat, we're settled on Heart's "Crazy on You", Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker", Journey's "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" and (tentatively) Zep's "Immigrant Song"
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

GP Island
#1875816 - 01/19/08 08:37 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Griffinator]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Well...if you DON'T want to do the stereotypical "female rock covers"...just pick out anything, and then transpose for her.

Not looking to specifically criticize your song choices, Grif, as I have no idea what you are planning for the rest of your set-lists...but these days, with so many cover bands, as soon as you hear them play the first 2-3 songs...you can pretty much write down their entire night's set-list. They’re just all too predictable.

I think when you break out of that box, and do the unexpected covers, in a rather original way...is what makes YOUR cover band the memorable one in a sea of same-old, same-old cover bands...

...but, YMMV.

But critiques aside…how did you end up in this new band (is it an all new band for you?), doing this type of music? What happened to the “1218” roster/direction?

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1875824 - 01/19/08 08:47 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Griffinator]
rickygclef Offline
Gold Member

Loc: LI, NY
Off the top of my head-ones I know and like

Alanis Morrisette "You Oughta Know"
Blondie " One Way or Another"
4-Non Blondes "What's Going On"
Sheryl Crow "If It Makes You Happy"
Pretenders "Middle of the Road" "Chain Gang" "Tattooed Love Boys"
Missing Persons -"Mental Hopscotch"
Jefferson Airplane "Somebody To Love"
Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine"

#1875833 - 01/19/08 08:59 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: rickygclef]
Zuben Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: South
If she has the pipes, transpose some traditional blues for her. If she is good, it will shine.

Peace

#1875845 - 01/19/08 09:14 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Zuben]
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas
Aretha Franklin-Respect and many others.
La Belle "Lady Marmalarde"
"Son of a Preacher Man" I always forget the name hear, Dusty Springfield?
Sheryl Crow
Pretenders
Bonnie Raite
Jeff Beck/ Rod Stewart-"People Get Ready" is in the female vocal range.
Ten Thousand Maniacs

These are some of the artists we covered, as you can see it has lots of R&B. I wasn't really an R&B fan per se before I was in that band, and I still don't really listen to it. But it sure is fun playing that style, locking in with the drums and bass. I got to make up alot of my own parts trying to cover horns and keyboards ect. The crowd always got into these songs as well, I didn't consider it selling out since I was having so much fun.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gruupi

#1875846 - 01/19/08 09:15 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Gruupi]
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
Black Velvet

#1875849 - 01/19/08 09:18 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Dr. Ellwood]
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Anything by Linda Ronstadt in her Stone Ponies era. http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/stonep.htm

#1875853 - 01/19/08 09:19 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Dr. Ellwood]
Hardtail Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Island
 Originally Posted By: Dr. Ellwood
Black Velvet

That's a very cool jam with a female vocalist. It goes off real well with the crowd. This... I know.

#1875936 - 01/19/08 12:08 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Hardtail]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Good suggestions - particularly "Velvet" - forgot about that song completely!

Keep 'em coming!

Edited by Griffinator (01/19/08 12:08 PM)
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#1875940 - 01/19/08 12:38 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Griffinator]
mdrs Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: rural PA
Some Queen stuff.....

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

#1876003 - 01/19/08 04:17 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Dr. Ellwood]
caprae Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA
 Originally Posted By: Dr. Ellwood
Anything by Linda Ronstadt in her Stone Ponies era. http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/stonep.htm

Beat me to it. That was my first thought. Guys used to swoon at her voice. Yeah, that was it. Her voice.

#1876006 - 01/19/08 04:26 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: caprae]
caprae Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#1876009 - 01/19/08 04:33 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: caprae]
caprae Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My son offers:
Flyleaf
Paramore
Evanescence
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish

#1876014 - 01/19/08 04:47 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: caprae]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Good call on "One" - although I'd prefer she just execute the original...

So far, what we've agreed on:

Morissette: You Oughtta Know (nice call, Ricky)
G&R: Sweet Child 'O' Mine
Blondie: One Way or Another
Myles: Black Velvet (another nice call, Lee)
Evanescence: Bring Me Back To Life (already were heading that way)
Kansas: Carry On Wayward Son (surprisingly, the riffs on this song sound harder than they are)
Roxette: Must Have Been Love
Queen: Under Pressure
Smashing Pumpkins: 1979
Concrete Blonde: Joey
Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit
4 Non Blondes: What's Up
Police: Message In A Bottle
No Doubt: Don't Speak
Rilo Kiley: Portions for Foxes
Fleetwood Mac: Go Your Own Way

(and the 4 I listed at the top)

Heck, at this rate, we'll have a pretty solid 40 songs to start off in a week or two. There's nothing super-difficult on that list, although after today's practice I've realized my bass chops are a little on the rusty side...

#1876015 - 01/19/08 04:48 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Griffinator]
rickygclef Offline
Gold Member

Loc: LI, NY
Good luck. Knock em dead! \:\)

#1876037 - 01/19/08 05:33 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: rickygclef]
splitting hare Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
Looks like you have a nice list started.

Here are some of the songs we presently do or have covered at one time with my wife singing. She also plays drums while she sings.

Sheryl Crow - Favorite Mistake, If it Makes You Happy, Soak up the Sun, Every Day is a Winding Road

The Beatles - You Won't See Me, Hard Days Night, Daytripper, Oh Darling, Twist and Shout

John Lennon - I'm Losing You

Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me, Reach Out, Surrender, ELO Kiddies

Katrina and the Waves - Do You Want Crying

ZZ Top - Tush (yes, really!) She volunteered to sing it one day and did a really good job on it. It was one that our local following used to request regularly. Though she often asked, "why did I decide to sing a song about picking up a hooker?"

As Miroslav said, you can pick pretty much anything and transpose. My wife covers Paul McCartney and Robin Zander very well.

Have fun!

#1876038 - 01/19/08 05:37 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: splitting hare]
soggybomb Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Gainesville, FL
Maybe Rush.

#1876048 - 01/19/08 06:10 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: soggybomb]
caprae Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's funny, Soggy. I was just driving my kids around thinking about this and had the same thought. Heck, my kids couldn't tell if he was a girl or a guy.

#1876049 - 01/19/08 06:13 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: soggybomb]
splitting hare Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
 Originally Posted By: soggybomb
Maybe Rush.
I saw a duet from Louisville - a guy wailing on an acoustic and a girl with some killer vocals do an awesome version of Spirit of the Radio.

#1876061 - 01/19/08 07:23 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: soggybomb]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Originally Posted By: soggybomb
Maybe Rush.

Wow. It'd be a lot of work convincing the drummer to try this (what with the odd-time-sigs and all) but I don't think I've ever heard a bar band in this neck pull off "Tom Sawyer"!

Nice idea!

#1876063 - 01/19/08 07:32 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: miroslav]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Originally Posted By: miroslav
I think when you break out of that box, and do the unexpected covers, in a rather original way...is what makes YOUR cover band the memorable one in a sea of same-old, same-old cover bands...

...but, YMMV.

But critiques aside…how did you end up in this new band (is it an all new band for you?), doing this type of music? What happened to the “1218” roster/direction?

1) In this area, female-fronted bands are still somewhat of a novelty - and believe it or not, a good many of the songs on the list so far are "pushing the envelope" when compared to what the locals are accustomed to from the precious few ff-bands out there. Nothing that they don't hear on the classic rock radio stations, for sure, but certainly they're not used to hearing it in the bar from a live band.

2) 1218 as a concept is not dead, but 1218 as a functioning, gigging band pretty much is. We've had major problems getting a drummer with that special combination of talent, discipline, and committment to actually function behind the (increasingly complex) songwriting that I and the other guitarist produce. Ironically, the other guitarist from 1218 will be the sole guitar in this band (I'll be handling bass chores, as noted above). Primary motivation for both of us is raising the capital to do a full-blown (someone else behind the console) recording of what we wrote over the course of the last two years. If it's still fun, and we're still making good money, we'll keep going with this, even if we do stumble across the right guy to revive the 1218 project.

Edited by Griffinator (01/19/08 07:34 PM)

#1876092 - 01/19/08 08:36 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Griffinator]
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#1876280 - 01/20/08 09:37 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: miroslav]
esp400 Offline

Loc: Brewtown, USA
How about some blues standards for a little change up? Maybe Susan Tedeschi?
My girlfriend offers up some Indigo Girls

#1876341 - 01/20/08 11:45 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: esp400]
Hardtail Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Island
Sounds like a cover band in the works.

#1876352 - 01/20/08 11:55 AM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Hardtail]
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Hardtail
Sounds like a cover band in the works.
\:D

#1876383 - 01/20/08 12:37 PM Re: Cover band w/female vocalist. Thoughts on setlist? [Re: Hardtail]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice to see I have a "twin" in Lynchburg now, LOL!

Not surprisingly your set list has a lot of songs that we already do or have considered doing. Here's our set list from last night:

Chain Gang
Joey
Paint It Black*
You Oughta Know
White Rabbit
Small Town*
Bitch
Desire*
Are You Gonna Go My Way
Seven Nation Army*
Zombie**
Celebrity Skin
Somebody to Love
Beginning of the End (original)
It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)*
You and Ur Hand
Bad Moon Rising*
Miss You*
Kiss Me Deadly
Boys of Summer (Ataris version)
It's All Been Done*
Just a Girl
Sedated*
Proud Mary*
Sweet Child O Mine
Take It Off
Emotionally Screwed (original)
Stone In Love
I Love Rock and Roll
Hit Me with Your Best Shot
Mustang Sally*
I'm the Only One
Roadhouse Blues*
Funky Break (band intros/solos)
Love Shack (duet)
She Bop

*=male lead vocals
**=replaced with "Fade into You" by request

We're very fortunate that our lead singer is also a talented multi-instrumentalist. The only song where she's not on stage doing something is "Seven Nation Army". (We're already covering a duo as a trio. That's the point in the show when I jokingly say Ask Al has taken the stage. ;\) )

Alternating lead vocals helps a lot. I know our lead singer could sing all night long but anybody that's sung lead knows how nice it is to be able to take a break and just do BGVs every now and then. It also keeps the audience from developing ear fatigue. Towards that end I even sing lead on a couple songs to help out. Everybody sings BGVs including our drummer which is a great help. (Having a kickass rocking drummer is great, but when she also sings BGVs it adds a great deal to the vocal/harmony textures.)

Response has been interesting. Classic rock is still very popular in this region, so we've had some initial disappointment from that crowd. However, we have won some of them over by serving up some fresh songs instead of the same old same old. (The night is never complete without someone requesting "Free Bird", of course. )

Oh, we did slip in "Sweet Home Alabama" with male lead last night, too, as it is a favorite at that venue. And I think we did Jimi as an encore with our singer taking over on drums. (Did I already say she was talented?) We'll also throw out some Zep riffs if someone needs to make an adjustment in between songs.

We're getting repeat bookings and starting to see famliar faces at the shows, though, so we must be doing something right. (Our first show was only Nov. 30th of last year.) This band is a blast and the chemistry is just awesome!

I was in a band (around '90?) with both a female and male singer -- neither played an instrument -- backed by just guitar, bass and drums. We never made it out of the basement but I wish I had a copy of our practice tapes. The songs with female lead were quite good, I thought. Interestingly they were "Immigrant Song", "Barracuda", "Crazy on You" and "White Rabbit".

Have fun with your new project, Griff, and rock the low end!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose