Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1852392 - 12/06/07 12:32 PM Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's?
wolfgang1 Offline

Hi All,

I've decided I can't go any longer without one of these babies, the sound is just too good. I've decided on the LP Standard with root beer finish, but I noticed you can get either the 50's or 60's style neck when you order it. Aside from the 60's neck being more slim, is there any other difference?

thanks!

GP Island
#1852397 - 12/06/07 12:48 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: wolfgang1]
Michael Patrick Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Madison, WI
Apart from how the two necks feel, different size necks will sound different. Bigger neck = fatter tone in my experience.

#1852401 - 12/06/07 12:58 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: Michael Patrick]
wolfgang1 Offline

Thanks... would I be correct in assuming Jimmy Page used a 50's neck a majority of the time?

#1852540 - 12/06/07 05:41 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: wolfgang1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Well, in Jimmy Page's case, at least one of his favorite Les Pauls (his "#1", too, I believe) had a shaved neck on it with an offset, asymmetrical shape.

LPs vary some from one to another, even amongst the same type, production-run, neck-profile, etc. So, I've found occasionally that a "'60 Slim-Taper" version might have a bigger, fatter tone than a similar LP with a "'59" or (even chunkier, more bat-like) "'58" or "Fat '50s" neck...

The wood varies enough that you can't always take the shape and size for granted; you can't always bank on a fatter neck always being noticeably fatter sounding.

I have two LPs, one with the "'60 Slim-Taper" neck, and one with the early/mid '50s style fat baseball-bat neck. Acoustically, there's not a whole huge difference between my two, really, and my "'60 Slim-Tapered" LP gets a lot of compliments on its fat, full tone from other players who try it out...

Choose the neck-profile that you're most comfortable with, that best suits your hand and aproach.

Really, given the choice, though, I think that the '59-style profile is my all-around favorite; I was once sorely tempted by a plain-topped new LP-Standard with just such a neck; round, full, yet comfy and easy enough to get around on. Great acoustic tone (I never even plugged it in!). Someone else apparently agreed, and bought it before I wound up with a third LP... \:D

The "'60 Slim-Taper" profile is also very, very nice, a bit more modern yet still pretty vintage-Gibson... nice sleek feeling flatter oval sort of shape, very consistently slim along a great portion of its length...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1852603 - 12/06/07 08:31 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dr. Ellwood Offline
10k Club

Loc: MoTown
I have both, both are great playing necks. I will say the the 50's style neck is more comfortable over long playing periods than the slimmer neck profile. The thicker profile fills the palm of your hand more and is less fatiguing and is just as fast a neck.

#1852899 - 12/07/07 11:48 AM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: Dr. Ellwood]
wolfgang1 Offline

Thanks for all the help. I'll have to hit the stores and test out both to see which I prefer for sure. So are the new ones they make either 50's or 60's neck, or are you able to get more detailed and choose a '59 neck?

#1853042 - 12/07/07 03:52 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: wolfgang1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
 Originally Posted By: Dr. Ellwood
I have both, both are great playing necks. I will say the the 50's style neck is more comfortable over long playing periods than the slimmer neck profile. The thicker profile fills the palm of your hand more and is less fatiguing and is just as fast a neck.

I agree with ya there! Especially when playing a lot of barres and partial-barres.

The "'60 Slim-Taper" profile isn't as skinny as some of 'em out there, though. I like mine well enough, though I wouldn't have minded if it had happened to be the somewhat fuller, rounder "'59" profile...

Originally Posted By: wolfgang1
Thanks for all the help. I'll have to hit the stores and test out both to see which I prefer for sure. So are the new ones they make either 50's or 60's neck, or are you able to get more detailed and choose a '59 neck?

That seems to depend on the specific model, what with all of the RI, Classic, Standard, Guitar-Of-The-Week, and various such LPs that Gibson has trotted-out...

I want to take this moment to shamelessly plug my favorite strings for Gibson Les Pauls, DR "Pure Blues" solid nickel-wrap (on the wound/bass-strings), in .011" through .050" gauge-sets. Also, slap some Dunlop StrapLoks on there (use some Loc-Tite thread-locker on the hardware that goes on the strap-ends), and get a real comfy strap- my favorite for an LP is the wide Planet Waves woven jacquard-style with the sliding shoulder-pad. Then put a tiny drop of clear Teflon-gel lube in each nut-slot and bridge-saddle string-notch to improve tuning-stability, and on the StrapLoks plugs to eliminate any squeaking and creaking that they can make as you move around (before I lubed mine, their noises would actually occasionally ring through the guitar and its pickups and get amplified!)...

I'm all through talkin' now;
that's all I have to say about that. For now. \:D

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#1853074 - 12/07/07 05:15 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
ThisSiteSucks Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Out of my mind
I have the 50's neck on my LP Standard 2005...nice neck..really didn't like the "slimline" version.

Mine does have a tiny bit of "V" shape to it compared to my C-shpaed Strat. Nothing to be worried about if switching guitars; however, I do like the C-shpaed Fender neck. It's just a "natural shape". If you're right-handed, look at your left hand right now palm up...bet it looks like a "C". \:\)

Edited by Rootstonian (12/07/07 05:15 PM)

#1853095 - 12/07/07 05:54 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: ThisSiteSucks]
stamplicker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: On Canada
OMg'd DO they have a sort of distorted L- shaped neck?

#1853150 - 12/07/07 07:55 PM Re: Les Paul Standard neck size - 50's or 60's? [Re: stamplicker]
ThisSiteSucks Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Out of my mind
LOL..only for 12 chocolate chip cookeies \:\)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose