Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1820825 - 10/07/07 06:58 AM Motif XS vs. ES
pentafunkaphonic Offline

Loc: Columbia, MD 21045
I know I'm beating a dead horse here. I'd like to hear from those who upgraded from the Motif ES to XS and wondered if they had any regrets. Do you miss not having the PLG boards or has their sample based syth engine compensated?

Thanks!!

KC Island
#1820841 - 10/07/07 07:27 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: pentafunkaphonic]
delirium Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Earth, NJ
I don't miss plg boards but sequencer which had step recording and was less dependent on pc.
Although lack of possibility of any expansion whatsoever is definitely bad thing.

#1820860 - 10/07/07 08:58 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: delirium]
Nicky Offline

Loc: LI, NY
I owned a Motif Es and now a XS. I don't miss the plg boards because I never used them. I owned the AN board but it was so poorly intergrated into the ES, I never got into programming it....becaue you really couldn't without a PC editor. In my opinion, I don't think the Motif XS or the ES is good at analog type sounds...synth pads, leads, etc. It's just very sterile sounding to me when it comes to those types of sounds. And the lack of a legato mono mode ( where the envelope does not get retriggered) makes it impossible to get the right vibe on synth bass sounds and moogish synth leads.
I think the Motif excels in real instrument type sounds.....guitars, pianos, electric pianos. As far as a sonic improvement over the ES, my ears don't hear it. But then again when everyone was raving about the new filters in the ES verses the original Motif, I couldn't hear that either. The only difference sonically is the addition of some new samples. The main piano sound, even with the new release samples, to me sounds just like the ES piano. The synth action on the XS is slightly better than the ES....but I still don't love it.
Because I don't use the sequencer or the sampler, I can't really comment on those features. Strictly sonically speaking, there are some new samples and some more effects....but the character of the instrument is basically the same as a ES.

#1820922 - 10/07/07 11:52 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Nicky]
SilverDragonSoun Offline
Laker Hater
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Somewhere way out there
pentafunkaphonic,

you need to head over to motifator.com. You will get much more about how the XS is much different than the ES. I don't have the time to go into all the things but if you want, you can head over there and read them.

#1820972 - 10/07/07 01:58 PM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: SilverDragonSoun]
mikecorbett Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Ireland
Anyone know how the weighted action on the ES8 compared to the XS8? I played the XS8 the other day and was blown away by the action! wow! Would definetly replace my NS88 with one if it wasn't so gigantic! ES8 would be cheaper... just looking up specs, they seem pretty heavy too... darn

I wonder is there any board that has the XS weighted action oe something close, that doesn't weigh quite as much?

#1820983 - 10/07/07 02:24 PM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: mikecorbett]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: mikecorbett
Anyone know how the weighted action on the ES8 compared to the XS8? I played the XS8 the other day and was blown away by the action! wow! Would definetly replace my NS88 with one if it wasn't so gigantic! ES8 would be cheaper... just looking up specs, they seem pretty heavy too... darn

I wonder is there any board that has the XS weighted action oe something close, that doesn't weigh quite as much?

Yamaha has the exact same balanced hammer action in the following products:

- Motif 8
- Motif ES8
- Motif XS8
- Yamaha S90
- Yamaha S90ES

I agree, it is a great action. I have been using an S90 for nearly 5 years and love it. I had an ES8 for awhile, but it was too large and heavy for regular gigging. The S90 or S90ES are more practical for gigging.

As for the XS vs. ES. I had an XS7 as a potential replacement for my S90. I returned it, primarily due to not liking the semi-weighted action as much as the S90. But from a pure sound standpoint, there is not a significant difference between Motif vs. ES vs. XS if you are talking about gigging. Yes, there are major improvements in FX, polyphony, arps, etc., but the core sound set for basic gigging is not so dramatically different from one to the next.

#1821302 - 10/08/07 08:21 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Nicky]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
 Originally Posted By: Nicky
In my opinion, I don't think the Motif XS or the ES is good at analog type sounds...synth pads, leads, etc. It's just very sterile sounding to me when it comes to those types of sounds. And the lack of a legato mono mode ( where the envelope does not get retriggered) makes it impossible to get the right vibe on synth bass sounds and moogish synth leads.

For mono legato on a Motif, turn mono on, and portamento on but with a time of 0 (if you don't want any portamento that is).

I still own several analogs, and find my ES7 a very capable of cutting it with just about everything analogish. I'm just doing the basics though... strings, brass, leads... I've done some killer custom bass sounds using the 18s filter, which doesn't eat into fundamental when you crank the resonance up. This is just a great filter and it's nice to have it as an option.

I run my leads through the onboard amp simulator though. Coupled with delay it's as big as I want to get.

Sync sweeps are limited because you can't synthesize them like on a Fantom through Roland's Structures. So you've got to go with the samples. But the onboard sampled sweep is good for "Let's Go" types of things just as it is, and you can speed it up or slow it down through programming.

I wouldn't miss inability of using an AN board from the XS. I don't see the need for it unless you are into really out there analog.

#1821436 - 10/08/07 12:46 PM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Bill H.]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
Quote by Dilirium:

ďI don't miss plg boards but sequencer which had step recording and was less dependent on pc. Although lack of possibility of any expansion whatsoever is definitely bad thing.Ē

Iím glad you brought the lack of step recording up. Sometimes I think Iím on a one man campaign with Yamaha to stop taking work station features away from their workstations. Its stupid.

Quote by Nicky:

ďBecause I don't use the sequencer or the sampler, I can't really comment on those features.Ē

I donít understand why you bought an ES, then a XS, if you donít use the sequencer or the sampler. It sounds like you might be better off with an S90ES.

I agree with Bill H. about analog like sounds on the ES. I think they sound pretty darn good. I like the filters in the ES. I havenít done a lot of editing of analog synth sounds on the ES, just a few ADSR changes on one or two patches. The factory patches are quite useable as is.

It would be nice if Yamaha had kept the PLG boards on the XS, and come out with some decent boards. Not everyone is gonna be happy with stock sounds and would like the option of adding new boards. The lack of a good interface for editing from one synth to the next with PLG boards may have been their downfall. Could be that Yamaha wasnít selling enough of them to keep putting the hardware in new synths.

Mike T.

Edited by MikeT156 (10/08/07 12:47 PM)

#1821441 - 10/08/07 12:49 PM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Bill H.]
pentafunkaphonic Offline

Loc: Columbia, MD 21045
I just scored a motif ES6 with MLan,PLG-AN, and a case. I plan to get a PlG-DX to replace my aged TX802 and a PLG-VL with breath controller. I've heard that you can add 1GB of RAM. I'll follow up once I've had the chance to experiment. Wish me luck!

#1821460 - 10/08/07 01:12 PM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: pentafunkaphonic]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Congratulations! The ES is a stunning sounding board and a steal at today's used prices. I'm in the same camp as Eric. Although the XS is an improvement in some things, it really isn't in the areas I normally use. I'm not even that fond of it's big screen because of the difficulties cursor has navigating it.

#1821720 - 10/09/07 04:03 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: pentafunkaphonic]
Tusker Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Saddle Ridge
 Originally Posted By: pentafunkaphonic
I just scored a motif ES6 with MLan,PLG-AN, and a case. I plan to get a PlG-DX to replace my aged TX802 and a PLG-VL with breath controller. I've heard that you can add 1GB of RAM. I'll follow up once I've had the chance to experiment. Wish me luck!

That's a powerhouse synth, the way you are setting it up.

#1821761 - 10/09/07 06:26 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Bill H.]
Nicky Offline

Loc: LI, NY
 Quote:
For mono legato on a Motif, turn mono on, and portamento on but with a time of 0 (if you don't want any portamento that is).

Hey Bill....thanks for the tip!

#1821765 - 10/09/07 06:32 AM Re: Motif XS vs. ES [Re: Nicky]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No problem. \:\)

If you are looking for synth bass sounds out of your Motif, give that 18s filter a try. I did four or five one afternoon, and couldn't believe what was coming out of my ES7. It must be set up differently than the other lowpass types though You can't just swap in in to hear what it's capable of. It definitely does it's own thing.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner