Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1733613 - 04/12/07 07:44 PM Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help
GanJahMan Offline

My friend has a Nord Electro keyboard and runs it stereo to a Motion Sound amp. She also has a Dennis GD10 stereo volume pedal. My question is, how can she hook up the pedal in stereo, the pedal only has 1 input and 1 output. She can hook it Mono and it works fine. The manual mentions a Stereo cable for the Control jack, When she connects to the control jack it doesnt work at all. We have tried all different combinations and only the mono side works. Does she need a different pedal for stereo output? Should the control jack be used? Do I need a "Stereo Cable"? Please, any help would be great! Thanks!

Edited by GanJahMan (04/12/07 08:38 PM)

KC Island
#1733659 - 04/12/07 08:37 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
GanJahMan Offline

I thought I might need a stereo cable, but I still dont know how to hook it up to the amp in stereo. Do I just use one stereo cable on the control out, or the standard left output on the keyboard to the pedal, then another cable from the pedal to the amp? Sorry, Im a guitarist, and Im new to all this.

#1733666 - 04/12/07 08:40 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
Byrdman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Milford, NH
Couldn't find a home page for George Dennis, but I expect if you use a TRS cable (aka a stereo cable) in and out it will work. This is not a normal cable in pro sound for stereo (it is usually used for balanced signals - that's mono) so you will need two adapter "Y" cables. These will go from two TS (unbalanced) plugs to a TRS jack.

#1733669 - 04/12/07 08:46 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: Byrdman]
GanJahMan Offline

Edited by GanJahMan (04/12/07 09:40 PM)

#1733734 - 04/12/07 10:31 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
GanJahMan Offline

What about hooking up the amp with TS cables and using a TRS cable from the control jack to the pedal?

#1733772 - 04/12/07 11:34 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Not sure what the end goal is, but if you want expression pedal for the Hammond sounds, the Electro has a control pedal jack. You may be able to patch your pedal in there and control the expression directly without bothering on the audio side of things.

#1733781 - 04/12/07 11:57 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: eric]
lerber3 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
+1 for what Eric said (for organ)... the swell on the Electo organ is far more than a volume control, the whole nature of the sound changes when you crank it up. The clav, rhodes, wurly, and piano are instruments where you control the volume by how hard you play.

... but if you wish to use the Dennis GD-10, use a Y adapter to convert the dual 1/4 outs into stereo, run it through the stereo pedal, then another Y to get back to individual 1/4's & into amp. You will still need a control pedal for the Electro swell to get the best out of the organ.

#1733800 - 04/13/07 12:58 AM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: eric]
Byrdman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Milford, NH
Originally Posted By: eric
Not sure what the end goal is, but if you want expression pedal for the Hammond sounds, the Electro has a control pedal jack. You may be able to patch your pedal in there and control the expression directly without bothering on the audio side of things.

This thing is a guitar pedal, so I doubt that it will work as an expression pedal. But an expression pedal is certainly the preferred option in my view, although I know some players who prefer volume pedals.

On a Hammond sound, the expression pedal should change the sound as well as the volume, wheras a volume pedal can only change the volume.

Those connectors from the first link are what you would need if you want to go with the volume pedal. Two of them - you would not need the other cable because you would be coming out into dual keyboard cables on either side, which is presumably what you use now to connect the keyboard to the amp without the pedal in circuit.

BTW, you can test if this is how it works. Plug a pair of headphones into the output of the pedal. Now plug a TS cable into the input. You should hear signal in one earpiece. Now pull the cable out slightly - you should feel it click into place again when slightly removed. You should now hear sound in the other earpiece. If this works its wired internally as I described.

#1733913 - 04/13/07 09:02 AM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: Byrdman]
GanJahMan Offline

Ok this is great info. My last question is simple. The link above is for the Stereo 1/4" male to 2 stereo 1/4" females. Wouldnt I need the Stereo 1/4" male to 2 mono 1/4" females? Since she is using TS cables in pair to get stereo to the amp?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-TRSMDual-14F-Y-Cable?sku=331081

Edited by GanJahMan (04/13/07 09:05 AM)

#1733998 - 04/13/07 10:57 AM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Melbourne, FL
If you want the signal to remain stereo, you'll need the "Y" connector on both sides.

Or, go with a pedal that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs,
Clonk Here

I've got a couple of stereo pedals in case my Hammond pedal ever fails like it did in the middle of a song once.

I agree with the others, that it might work better with a control pedal instead. Simplifies the setup, with fewer points of failure.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

#1734023 - 04/13/07 11:16 AM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: Mr. Nightime]
GanJahMan Offline

Every expression pedal Ive seen acts as a expression/volume at the same time. Is there a switchable model or just volume without expression? She doesnt want to change her sound, just the volume.... Thats why we went the volume pedal route.

Edited by GanJahMan (04/13/07 11:17 AM)

#1734030 - 04/13/07 11:26 AM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: GanJahMan]
Mr. Nightime Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Melbourne, FL
The settings for the expression/volume change would be in the board, not the pedal. All a control pedal does is change a value that the board uses for expression/volume. Many patches are set up where the control affects only volume, while others affect both volume and tone. Might take some tweaking, but you should be able to take advantage of this.

With organ sounds you want the tone to change. Makes the sound more authentic, since a Hammond tone changed in real life.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

#1734070 - 04/13/07 12:15 PM Re: Stereo Keyboard and Volume pedal help [Re: Mr. Nightime]
GanJahMan Offline

Thanks everyone for your time and help. I learned alot!

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner