Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1718874 - 03/17/07 05:44 PM casio Privia PX200
songman Offline

HI,
I was in the market for Casio Privia PX310 and found out about the new PX200 that is coming out this month.
ANyone have any updates on this new keyboard? Is PX200 better overall than 310? or is it different keyboard?
thanks

KC Island
#1718889 - 03/17/07 06:51 PM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: songman]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: the land of OZ
WAIT for it

it is better,

C:\My Documents\Casio Introduces Two New Privia Digital Pianos - 2007 - News - CASIO.htm

still ligthweight 12kg
smart card
128 polyphony...thats gotta be good for sustain
now you can play midi files from smart card[after conversion] and still have enough polyphony to reproduce your piano..

looks a killer...and we gotta assume the price will be the same as it obviously is marketed in the same way as the 310

so just wait...I know I am...but I'll bet Australia wont get it here for ages...

#1718916 - 03/17/07 09:31 PM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
b3_john Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Tornado Alley
As hesitant as I am to let another piano back in the house , I'm waiting for the PX200's to show up in the retail channel before buying something for my son's (first) piano lessons. He'll actually get his own guitar first, but only by a month or so.

John

Edited by b3_john (03/17/07 09:31 PM)

#1718932 - 03/18/07 12:10 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: b3_john]
songman Offline

Originally Posted By: b3_john
As hesitant as I am to let another piano back in the house , I'm waiting for the PX200's to show up in the retail channel before buying something for my son's (first) piano lessons. He'll actually get his own guitar first, but only by a month or so.

John

Can you adopt me???

#1719366 - 03/19/07 01:06 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: songman]
b3_john Offline
Gold Member

Obviously the PX200's aren't shipping yet (in the US anyway), but MusiciansBuy.com right now has the PX200s listed at $699 (MSRP $899) while their PX310s are at $599 (MSRP $849). So the PX200s are not a one-for-one replacement for the PX310s, price-wise anyway. It does look like they both use the same stand, so the two should be almost exactly the same size.

EDIT:
Go figure, ten minutes after I type that, I see Casio lists the MSRP for the PX200 at $799: http://www.priviapiano.com/products/PX-200/

Note to self: Avoid MusiciansBuy.com

John

Edited by b3_john (03/19/07 01:20 AM)

#1719819 - 03/19/07 09:55 PM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: b3_john]
Sirky O'Fifth Offline

Sorry to horn in on this discussion, but I too am trying to decide between two of the Casio Privias. My choice is between the new PX-200 and the older, now out of production PX-555. I'd like to get your thoughts on the two.

They both have the features I need:
88 hammer action keys
MIDI
USB jack for connecting directly to my laptop
Stereo line out

The main differences that matter to me are:
1) Price. 555 can be found online for $500 in-the-box. The new 200 is retailing for $700.
2) Piano tone quality. I don't care too much about the other sounds. The 555 is now 3 generations back on the sound technology ("dual level" I think I read somewhere), whereas the 200 has this new "AIF tri-level" sound. Is this marketing-speak? What's the real audible difference here?

I'm not a piano player (yet). I am looking for a good quality instrument in the $5-700 range that I can learn on and also use as a MIDI controller for tinkering around in GarageBand on my Mac. Seems to me that both the 555 and the 200 fit the bill. I want to be inspired by the instrument, but since I don't yet play I'm not sure if I've "earned" the right to spend an extra $200 on the new PX-200 (does that make sense?). Has anyone played the new PX-200? How does it sound compared to the older Privia keyboards? No shops around here have the new 200 in stock yet, but I am eager to read some reviews on it. If the difference in tone and feel is only detectible by very experienced players I think I'll save myself a couple hundred bucks and get the 555.

What are you thoughts?

#1719886 - 03/19/07 11:49 PM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Sirky O'Fifth]
b3_john Offline
Gold Member

Sirky, here in BFE I'm still waiting for the PX200's to show up. I'd have already jumped on the PX310 if I didn't know the PX200 was on the horizon. I haven't played the 555, but if I had to buy today (and I don't fwiw) I'd buy the 310 for about $600. If I needed the best price with the best action I'd skip the Privia line and get a Casio CDP-100 ($500 w/ custom Casio stand from Sweetwater or $400 without the stand from GuitarCenter).

As always, ymmv.

John

#1719937 - 03/20/07 06:46 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: b3_john]
calvero Offline

Loc: Michigan
Sirky O'Fifth - The 555 has older 2 element sampling. If you can get the 575 with a price close to the 555 it would be much better. The 575 has tri element though not as good as the AIFs of the new 200s.

#1720033 - 03/20/07 11:44 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: calvero]
Sirky O'Fifth Offline

calvero and b3,
the problem for me is that, besides the sound technology, only the 555 and the 200 both share all the features I'd like. the 575 has no MIDI jacks nor quarter-inch outs. the 310 has no USB jack.

So I think for me it's about comparing the old "dual level" sound to the new "aif" sound to decide if the difference is worth $200+.

#1722357 - 03/24/07 08:07 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Sirky O'Fifth]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

Ive heard its lacking stereo in
wont affect a lot but I like to run my Midi file player in to keyboard stereo in to reduce mixer inputs.
this is especially handy when I do a walk up nite instead of a gig,as I'm safer keeping my mixer needs to a single mono out of the keyboard.

but alternatively I could convert all my midifiles to the smart card and play them thru the keyboard thus eliminating my midi file player

the other is it lacks the 310's program storage.
This does not affect me as I presently use a 300 without that function...but i really did want some storage in an upgrade... could it be possible to store such changes on smart card...I guess not as it would still need to download into a location.

small losses but it may affect some who actually gig with it.

perhaps the second version will have these...something like the differences between the 110 and the 310...a little brother arrives first [casio likes this ] then the bigger sibling comes along who can do more.
And you go...oh sh@t why didnt I wait..tee hee

One thing [based on the 300 and 310 intro prices] in Australia I'm guessing we will be paying recomended retail of around $1500 AU [our doller only buys 75 cents american].Which means we should be buying it around $1000 to $1100 based on your price but instead we'll probably pay half that again RRP.
Obviously there is a bit of bartering for street price.

so think yourself lucky living in America....everything there is so cheap.
Even things made here end up cheaper in America...now how does that work.
Our convertible Ford Capri made here in the 90's and exported to America as a Mercury convertible I think [yes shipping costs too] was heaps cheaper in America than its home country....go figure...
does every manufacturer still crawl up America;s stereo ins..and make us third world countries overpay to cover the differences...tee hee.

So when you start saying you only wanna pay $500 to $700...think how lucky you are.That would only buy us a second hand PX 300 if lucky. And I dont often see them secondhand anyway.

#1722452 - 03/24/07 11:29 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
Jazzwee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
What a confusing model numbering scheme though.

Is the PX200 an improvement of the CDP100, or is it a degrading of the PX310?

I'm curious to see how much the sound improved. If Casio makes a big dent here it'll be a big winner.

#1730690 - 04/08/07 03:41 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Jazzwee]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

anyone tried one yet?

#1737154 - 04/18/07 08:09 PM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

enquired with a music shop whose adverts I see come up on the google sidebar here on this site..

fronted them at thier stand at The Royal Easter Show [displaying Casios and Kawais] about the PX 200 only to be looked at with blank faces.

I obviously was telling them something new...and incredulous.

But to thier credit they are going to look into it for me.

But obviously we are not going to get this privia in Aussie in a hurry.
i believe one of the guys who I talked to may work for casio too as I recognised his face...I think he may have been representing casio at another stores big annual sale..as he mentioned I may have recognised him from there.

If this is the case and he is an actual Casio Rep [this is an assumption] then If he hadnt heard about it what hope is it Australia will even get any soon.

Ill be inb contact with this store inb a week...

Obviously no one has tried one yet

As a sideline I compared the CDP100[radio shack] with the PX 410R
for feel the 410 is even better feel...so there are differences in Casios range for feel.

edit;

the guy rang me back today after 2 weeks slog at the easter show...good business man

june delivery in Aussie ..price around $1200

that puts it in the px 110 price,,,is there going to be a next version equating to the 310 step up...as it is there is no stereo in ..and only 20 accompianments

Edited by AUSSIEKEYS (04/19/07 08:09 AM)

#1737407 - 04/19/07 10:36 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
Moon Zero Two Offline
Gold Member

I tried one over the weekend.

sounded a little better than the PX310/PX110 to me. A little clearer. Not a world of difference but a little better, meaning it sounded good. The feel of the keybed seemed identical as previous models, the speakers might be a little better, the polyphony is a big step up - from 32 to 128 - it did seem a little pricey at $700 USD - I mean it is only a short hop up to Kawai MP4/5 or GEM territory. I love the weight factor. The SD card thing and other adds aren't value adds to me.

very tempted.

I am starting to look for a replacement rig for my Nord Stage Compact which is just not working out, especially in the piano department.

#1743755 - 04/30/07 09:47 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Moon Zero Two]
AUSSIEKEYS Offline
Platinum Member

jamey

keep us posted if you get one...

#1743809 - 04/30/07 11:15 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: AUSSIEKEYS]
b3_john Offline
Gold Member

I also finally got a chance to try one (the PX-200) over the weekend. I played the PX-200 right next to a PX-110 and PX-310 for about half an hour. I was supposed to be guitar shopping but I couldn't help myself.

My impression was that the action was basically unchanged between the three DPs. I'm not much of a fan of graded actions, whether or not they mimic some grand piano somewhere or not, I think what they actually succeed at is making the actions slower and heavier than necessary -- starting about an octave above middle C and on down. The Previas fall victim to this, IMO, like most other DPs today. Above that range the Previas are lively enough to be serviceable. If there is a silver lining to this its that a lot of my faster riffs happen above where the graded action kicks in, but when I drop down its typically slower and heaver than I'd prefer.

I may go ahead and buy a PX-200 for my son to learn on and to play blues progressions around the house, but I don't think I'd want to have to play one live. Not anymore than I'd want to have to play the current crop of Yammies or Rolands.

OTOH, if you dislike fast actions, YMMDV!

John

#1745359 - 05/03/07 03:18 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Sirky O'Fifth]
Anonymouse Offline

Loc: California, USA
Hi Sirky,
I haven't tried the PX-200 yet, but Casio has posted some demo MP3's here:
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/privia/px200/sound/

This model seems to be optimized for its piano sound (as opposed to other features), and therefore designed as an upgrade to the PX-310. Its "AIF" tone-shaping is all about providing more realistic piano decay. Like the PX-310, it has a 2-track sampler (versus the 6-track on the Casio Px-5xx or WK-8000).

I own the PX-575, and strongly agree with previous posters that it's a much better buy than the PX-555. Even if you pay more. (Mine was US $630, discounted from $700). It not only has newer patch-sampling technology than the PX-555, but also a vastly improved interface.

Like other Privias of the same generation (PX-110 and PX-310), its weak link is its acoustic piano patch. That's not as realistic as those on similarly-priced Yamahas or Rolands. I'm hoping the PX-200 generation will improve that.

The PX-575's virtue is everything but its piano patch: The electric-piano and mallet patches (e.g., vibes) are sampled at 3 velocities, and are exquisitely realistic. The organ patches are beautifully lush. The options for editing patch envelopes and effects parameters are very nice.

The PX-575 has no dedicated MIDI ports (you must use USB). But you can improvise stereo line-out's by plugging a stereo cable or Y-jack into one of the 1/4" stereo headphone jacks. There are duplicate headphone jacks, and they respond to the onboard volume dial.

Enjoy whatever you buy!

#1746060 - 05/04/07 09:05 AM Re: casio Privia PX200 [Re: Anonymouse]
superpowter77 Offline

Loc: Cape Coral
I'm more a synth type player(motif es6 and yamaha s80), however I was going to buy the roland fp-2 or kawai mp4, my budget was to get something decent under $1000, and then decided to try the casio px-800, got amazingly impressed how they have improved it over their previous privia's generation.
Then I played the px-200, and was satisfied, even If I felt px-800 slightly better, I couldn't find a way to remove the px-800 built-in wood stand. overall it's comparable to fp-2 and kawai mp4 in functionality and features with a lower price of course. I was looking for a portable piano with a decent sound under $1000 for live purposes and under $16 pounds. I'm not longer a young person (35 and counting)and lifting 35 pounds three times a week was killing my back. I play some complicated repertory of montuno performances and I can tell you, I got the key response it requires for my particular style. dynamics are fantastic and weight keys are correct for my personal taste in a 99%. 128 poly is a welcome in this range of price. Sound quality is great thru my crate kxb100 and alesis sumo 300 I'm not a professional piano player, but I'm feeling great on this baby.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner