Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#1715066 - 03/09/07 10:11 PM gimme some lovin' (chords)
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
does anyone know what the chords for the intro to this song are, i can't quite figure them out.

thanks
scott

KC Island
#1715106 - 03/09/07 11:41 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: scottasin]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

F E F E D
D C D C B
G G G G G
F E F E D

Play the bottom F E F E D line with your left hand. And get some Leslie distortion, it will sound wimpified otherwise.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#1715115 - 03/09/07 11:54 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: scottasin]
Trill Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southwestern Ohio
G7 C G7 C G

G7 Voiced G D F G hit the grace note of C# first (keep sustaining lower G with thumb throughout chords)
To C voiced G C E back to G7 (without high G) back to C then hit grace note of A# before striking G (G-B-D)

Left hand plays rythymic beat on G underneath the chords. If you use 2 boards You can play the bass line on piano and intro chords on organ than switch to piano for the verse than back to organ on the So Glad I ....

Edit:
Thats how I thought it sounded ,but after reading Moes Post below I defer to his experience, I always had to play in E because G killed the lead singer

Edited by Trill (03/10/07 09:26 AM)

#1715120 - 03/09/07 11:59 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: Trill]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

Why not watch Stevie play it himself? Notice how he doubles the top melody underneath.

(He's playing it in F#)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVFUd6st68

Edited by mate_stubb (03/10/07 12:00 AM)

#1715156 - 03/10/07 01:12 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: matted stump]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
(He's playing it in F#)
Not that he's particularly old in that video, but I wonder if that's a concession to age?

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

web space
myspace

#1715168 - 03/10/07 03:46 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: kanker.]
b3_john Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Tornado Alley
+1

Now that takes me back, I played in a band that opened with that song ("so glad you made it") every gig for two years. Wish we could've had a horn section like that, did you catch the horn player twirling his trumpet?

Also the video for a live show I thought was very well done. That looked like a real production, not the kind of thing you used to see when it was "just" a live taping.

The thing I noticed about Stevies version is that he plays the G as a normal triad in the verses, I always played that with the root up top and a little bit richer voicings, ala Brent Mydland, though maybe you don't need that with a cadre of backup singers and a horn section. \:\)

John

#1715238 - 03/10/07 08:22 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: b3_john]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
Two things: First - I agree that the B3 must have some grunge. That has always been tough for me to accomplish on my old K2000 and PC2... probably tough on most synths. I guess that's why you need a real B3 and a Leslie with tubes that you can overdrive. Is there a clone that can give you an accurate reproduction of the grunge?

Second - I experiment with various voicings on that intro. For instance, the horns sometimes play a ninth (A on top of the F - in the first 'G' major chord). I had to experiment because 1. I couldn't get the grunge. and 2. I didn't have a horn section behind me. That intro needs to sound as big and bold as possible.

Tom

"If I ever get some ambition, I'm gonna get some s*** done." - Bill Murray

#1715272 - 03/10/07 10:45 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: ITGITC?]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Is There Gas in the Car?
Is there a clone that can give you an accurate reproduction of the grunge?

If you are talking romplers, in my experience, no. If you sample an organ with the overdrive built into the sample, then it is built in separately for each note and it doesn't blend when you play chords.

For a clone, again I'd have to say no. Organ players pursue this holy grail of sound with the same fervor that guitar players pursue their tone. Digital modelled distortion can approximate the sound, and organs with preamp tubes can warm the sound up a little, but that creamy scream comes mostly from the power tubes in the leslie amp itself.

So what people do is play their clones thru elaborate tube preamps and power amps and real leslies. You just have to use outboard gear to get that sound.

#1715302 - 03/10/07 12:13 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: matted stump]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have found on my VK8m if you floor the volume pedal it helps to add to the distortion. I also use the #2 built in preamp and that helps. In a live setting it is fair and usually is lost with the other stuff.

I just did some recording with it and found it less satisfying upon hearing the finish product. But hey it weighs 6lbs and fits in a suitcase so I am not complaining. I can't get that growl out of my M3. Maybe I need a Leslie.... where will I put that?

sag stegeb sag

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.themaineventband.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#1715528 - 03/10/07 11:36 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: BluesKeys]
jimmymio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: petaluma, ca
I've never used one but a lot of cloners seem to love the Speakeasy pre for B3 type distortion.
JP

#1715548 - 03/11/07 12:23 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: jimmymio]
keyoctave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Mountains, NC.
Tried it with my KBR-3Ds tube pre-gain cranked up with my V5. Got some serious grunge.
Curious: Does anybody know what drawbar settings were used?

#1715551 - 03/11/07 12:27 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: jimmymio]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)

A real Hammond/Leslie, you have to play it for a few years, then you start breathing with it, almost like a horn, the tubes almost create a 'blowing feeling' from it. that duo. Thats how my left brain conceptualizes it anyway with it's tubes and it's warmth!. The organ in a low frequency instruement and a leslie is crossed over in an interesting way.
add that warmth and it can be 'sine-wave heaven', really interesting place.....

In regards to this, I found that playing with the first three drawbars out for a long time helped somehow, that seemed to be my process as a kid looking back. . . .(though that doesn't have to be). I didn't start using the upper drawbars 'creatively' (though I did use them) until I spent a long time with that basic tone, then somehow after a long phase with that tone, I could create some sort of dualistic sonic palette in a process I still don't totally understand, a single note placed in an ensemble setting can change the sound of the band in a positive harmonic way but you have to be tastefully tied into the low end and the leslie speed and the high end all at once (even on Choral). Organ is great for high or low energy playing sonically, then harmonically it's a keyboard too and you can run the organ straight which is a whole nother thing!
it really can be healthy fun.

I enjoy it, it can be very relaxing also, even when the energy is up! Like a Gin and Tonic ensemble playing wise! You can burn too on it! Or chop on it!

That's the thing about the natural overdrive of a real B3 and a Leslie, it will actually, after time, tell you how to play it!
It's actually kinda weird that way, it IS the ultimate polyphonic synth in some weird way! And the amplification component is key!

I don't know if thats a tip or not. . . .
lb

Edited by Legatoboy (03/11/07 10:59 AM)

William Shakespeare

#1715570 - 03/11/07 03:19 AM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: Legatoboy]
Dreamer Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy

I don't know if thats a tip or not. . . .
lb

Maybe not, but I enjoyed you post anyway.

#1717388 - 03/14/07 01:34 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: matted stump]
kwgm Offline

Loc: Rocky Mtn West
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
Why not watch Stevie play it himself? Notice how he doubles the top melody underneath.

(He's playing it in F#)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVFUd6st68

Man, the cuts are so quick in that video, its hard to catch much of the playing.

Looks like Hulk Hogan on drums. That guy _is_ talented.

--kwgm

#1717393 - 03/14/07 01:40 PM Re: gimme some lovin' (chords) [Re: scottasin]
delirium Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Earth, NJ
Quote:
gimme some lovin' (chords)

good you added "(chord)" to the subject of this topic,
because I would think you posted on wrong forum

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner