Print Thread
Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? #3028635 02/12/20 05:17 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
If I did in fact miss anything, I'll find it on YouTube or whatever. But I didn't watch the Grammy Awards either, so I'm an equal-opportunity ignorer of televised award shows.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3028652 02/12/20 07:06 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
as am I, so I am of no help to you here.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3028962 02/14/20 03:56 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I guess 1 post tells me all I need to know. Apparently my time was MUCH better spent doing the laundry, and folding towels.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029008 02/14/20 03:12 PM
J. Dead Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club
Originally Posted by Anderton
I guess 1 post tells me all I need to know. Apparently my time was MUCH better spent doing the laundry, and folding towels.
Since I didn't watch, I can neither confirm nor deny that your time was better spent not watching, but I suspect that to be the case. Usually my picks don't tend to align with the folks who make these decisions anyway. Not that they should. IMHO, it's industry folks recognizing others in their industry. I don't expect the national public to tune in to an ISA meeting where they pick the best Industrial Automation supplier. I can just hear the home audience: "I think Emerson will get the win for their new temperature transmitter. But we don't have enough diversity, Yokagawa has to be considered so that the Japanese are represented. Oh, E+H won the pressure transmitter category, let's see if they talk about german engineering.... " yeah, consumers don't look at products/services in the same way as manufacturers/providers. Industry recognition is inherently internal. They convinced us to take interest years ago, but that is fading quickly.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029050 02/14/20 07:18 PM
Notes_Norton Offline
The last time I watched the Oscars was the year Amadeus won.

I liked the film, but I didn't think it was best picture. It had a release well before the awards, and didn't do well, racking up a loss at the box office.

Then it won the best picture, was re-released, and made a fortune for the studio.

I looked at past wins and many wins since then and I soon realized that the Oscars has often turned into an advertisement more than an actual awards show. I realized this is a problem when an industry awards itself.

I haven't watched the Oscars or the Grammy awards since then. Industries awarding themselves has lost all meaning to me.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton
Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029092 02/14/20 10:59 PM
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I didn't watch but I think it's cool a foreign film (Parasite) won Best Picture

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029218 02/16/20 12:09 AM
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
We are in a post-mainstream media propaganda era.

The presumption that such manufactured events/presentations matter today is no longer true. Nobody cares except insular people inside the industry. They were never 1:1 with reality and now that they no longer can be presented as reality it's with a combination of nostalgia and vague repulsion I say "good riddance". Some things of the past are like old school hood ornaments with translucent plastic masquerading as "jewels".

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029323 02/16/20 06:50 PM
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I watched some of it, and there seems like there are a number of good movies that I need to watch. I saw "Parasite" and it is thoroughly enjoyable, an odd, unique film that is deserving of its many accolades. I don't watch these often, but it seems to me that they have this moving along at a quicker pace than before.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029333 02/16/20 07:46 PM
T
The Real MC Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
(yawn) haven't watch ANY awards shows since I was a kid.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029414 02/17/20 02:47 PM
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
What I find the Oscars useful is for finding good movies that I haven't heard about. The big blockbusters get all the ad time and attention (and admittedly, I love stuff like the Marvel movies), but lots of great movies get past me. So I look at the Oscar nominations and see what else is out there. Great stories, characters, and "no" use of special effects* appeal to the other side of me. I've found that most of the nominated movies I've watched are winners. thu

* I know many movies use special effects and CGI to recreate historical locations or whatever. I just mean that the CGI isn't part of the story and it's not obvious.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029453 02/17/20 07:47 PM
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club
10k Club
I like finding out about good movies as well. And that's the thing. I feel like most of the movies at the Academy Awards appear to be quality movies, even if I might not be interested in them. I only wish I could say that about the Grammys.

I don't watch awards shows on a regular basis at all, but at least I feel like I can get turned on to a few decent movies with this.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029463 02/17/20 08:41 PM
Notes_Norton Offline
I think it's great when the FX supports the plot, but I don't think the plot should simply support the FX. At least for me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton
Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<
Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Notes_Norton] #3029490 02/17/20 11:20 PM
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted by Notes_Norton
I think it's great when the FX supports the plot, but I don't think the plot should simply support the FX. At least for me.

Notes

Every day of the week, absolutely.

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: KenElevenShadows] #3029520 02/18/20 01:27 AM
Anderton Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by KenElevenShadows
I watched some of it, and there seems like there are a number of good movies that I need to watch. I saw "Parasite" and it is thoroughly enjoyable, an odd, unique film that is deserving of its many accolades.
Okay, now I want to see it. I think this confirms the premise that these days, people care FAR more about peer-to-peer recommendations than anything else.

In the Oscars? Yeah, whatever. Ken recommends personally in a forum? Now we're talking. smile

Re: Anyone Watch the Oscars? Did I Miss Anything? [Re: Anderton] #3029527 02/18/20 02:00 AM
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by KenElevenShadows
I watched some of it, and there seems like there are a number of good movies that I need to watch. I saw "Parasite" and it is thoroughly enjoyable, an odd, unique film that is deserving of its many accolades.
Okay, now I want to see it. I think this confirms the premise that these days, people care FAR more about peer-to-peer recommendations than anything else.

In the Oscars? Yeah, whatever. Ken recommends personally in a forum? Now we're talking. smile

Haha! Well, there were some really funny moments, and the movie is never boring. And yes, I do think that peer/friend recommendations go a long way. Especially if you know the person's tastes already.

Now....I need to watch some of those other movies as well!

Moderated by  Anderton