Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hydrasynth [Re: Lady Gaia] #3007792 09/12/19 04:59 PM
GovernorSilver Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Prophet X also has 8 voice polyphony - when using stereo samples - and from what I recall, is bi-timbral at most. The much steeper price makes it a harder sell.

The Prophet X’s cost is partly rooted in the hybrid design, and partly in the absurd amount of storage for samples. Thankfully SSD prices are dropping rapidly so that can and does change over time. The polyphony limits are due to the sixteen analog filters. I’m willing to cut hybrid instruments more slack in the polyphony department for this reason, presuming their filters speak to me (and even there you have some flexibility - in sixteen voice mode with only one filter per voice you can maintain the stereo image for a sample by bypassing the filter, and in thirty-two voice mode a single pair of filters is used paraphonically.) There was always something special about taking samples and running them through a good filter which is an itch that instrument scratches nicely for me. Obviously everyone’s needs, tastes, and budget will lead them to what works best for them.

Fair enough.

I think if ASM put 8 analog filters, you're not looking at a $700 desktop/$1300 keyboard Hydrasynth anymore. Novation Peak (a desktop) goes for $1300, so maybe it'd be a $600 price increase for the customer?

Hydrasynth has 11 filter types to choose from, so I would assume going w/ analog filters over digital would compromise that flexibility as well.

On Elektronauts, one of the very first response on the Hydrasynth thread was "I’ve concluded the price tag is fair compared to what I would have to pay for a mouser cart of components; designing, testing and minting my own pcbs; custom steel case; all that DSP programming, assembly and GUI OS." Perhaps that is what Theo is thinking about - implementing a softsynth on regular PC then porting it to custom hardware. He could probably do it if it's strictly a box just to run the software - no keybed, no ribbon controller no knobs, etc. However if he wants to add a keybed, knobs, display, etc. I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, for him to build his own Hydrasynth, complete with polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, while keeping the cost as low as ASM has managed, thanks to the practically in-house access to keybeds, chip fabricators, etc.

Blows my mind ASM did the firmware in assembly language.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 09/12/19 08:57 PM.
KC Island
Re: Hydrasynth [Re: GovernorSilver] #3007797 09/12/19 05:30 PM
Lady Gaia Offline
Hydrasynth has 11 filter types to choose from, so I would assume going w/ analog filters over digital would compromise that flexibility as well.

There’s still something special about a carefully tuned analog filter design that can contribute a unique character, but no question it comes at a cost from both a financial and flexibility standpoint. There will come a time when the digital models are so good that it makes no sense to do anything else, but we’re not there yet. The Hydrasynth is an astonishing value for the money but it’s more something that I have been excited thinking about than actually listening to ... so far.

What keeps me coming back for another listen is the poly aftertouch keyboard, primarily.

Parts of it, almost certainly, but I would be shocked and dismayed if everything was written in assembly. In the quote you provided I’m sure “assembly” was referring to the labor involved in physically assembling the hardware.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R
MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Roland TD11KV
Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Extreme
Re: Hydrasynth [Re: GovernorSilver] #3007805 09/12/19 06:04 PM
GovernorSilver Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia

There’s still something special about a carefully tuned analog filter design that can contribute a unique character, but no question it comes at a cost from both a financial and flexibility standpoint. There will come a time when the digital models are so good that it makes no sense to do anything else, but we’re not there yet. The Hydrasynth is an astonishing value for the money but it’s more something that I have been excited thinking about than actually listening to ... so far.

What keeps me coming back for another listen is the poly aftertouch keyboard, primarily.

Parts of it, almost certainly, but I would be shocked and dismayed if everything was written in assembly. In the quote you provided I’m sure “assembly” was referring to the labor involved in physically assembling the hardware.

I agree about a great analog filter design. I actually like the Prophet X's. I also keep being drawn to the Matriarch even though I keep trying to convince myself I don't need it.

Before this thing was announced, I was looking at the Minilogue XD. Post-announcement, I've got some thinking to do. Both of these budget synths sound good enough for my personal taste.

Hydrasynth has CV I/O, which reflects Darcey's ongoing personal interest in Eurorack modular stuff. The CV I/O should allow the user to patch in a Eurorack analog filter, if desired, although I've no doubt users will think of more creative cross-patching ideas. An external analog filter would impose a paraphonic limitation, but that may not be an issue for some folks.

In the Glen Darcey interview posted from SonicState, he does say that assembly language was used to program the synth. But... he didn't say if it was assembly language generated from a C compiler or something like that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner