Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2017372 - 11/27/08 06:05 AM Harbinger PA speakers?
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I just came across some rather inexpensive 15" powered PA speakers made by Harbinger. Never seen this brand before, but the price is REALLY good.

About $200 each after instant rebate.....are they any good (for light use), or too good to be true?

KC Island
#2017377 - 11/27/08 06:42 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Synthoid]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
How do they sound?

#2017381 - 11/27/08 07:19 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: ITGITC?]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just the info/specs are online--I haven't heard them.

Anyone ever used this brand before?

#2017560 - 11/28/08 04:56 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Synthoid]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Anyone?

#2017561 - 11/28/08 05:02 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Synthoid]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Synthoid,

I know GC is having a sale on these today. For that price, one as a monitor wouldn't be a major mistake as a purchase depending on your financial state. I'd check one (or 2) out in the store first to make sure they just aren't a totally cheesy product.

If I were going to try and pick up 2 two for a stereo rig ($400),that may make me think twice but still it's under $500 if they sound ok in the store. I would just make sure to give them a good and thorough test drive with an instrument you are familiar with sonically. They are only rated a 180 - 200w, in a loud loud band you may want to consider that aspect but the bang for a buck on paper looks good! Also, I'd be weary of a Berhinger quality type of product for long term use and reliability.
lb

Edited by Legatoboy (11/28/08 05:06 AM)

#2017647 - 11/28/08 12:31 PM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Legatoboy]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
I would just make sure to give them a good and thorough test drive with an instrument you are familiar with sonically.

That's just what I did this morning. The local GC had about 4 of these in boxes out on the floor, so I asked a salesperson to open one and hook it up to an M3.

Quite a disappointment for sure. Maybe the one we opened was defective--but the speaker had very little mid range and almost non-existent high frequencies. Even when adjusting its 5-band EQ, neither of us could get any decent sound from it, and I even noticed some distortion in the tweeter.

Great for a sub-woofer, but that's about it.

\:P

Edited by Synthoid (11/28/08 12:40 PM)

#2017694 - 11/28/08 04:48 PM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Synthoid]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Synthoid,

Quote:
That's just what I did this morning. The local GC had about 4 of these in boxes out on the floor, so I asked a salesperson to open one and hook it up to an M3.

I did this with the EON 515 on Tue in anticipation of the GC sale hoping I may like it enough to buy one as a monitor. They are very nice but not nice enough right now! I was trying to avoid the possible mobs in the at GC even at 8AM and be in and out without checking it out if I did want it! I made them set it up with a CP33 and A/B next to a KC550 which is not a very good reference check actually. The EON even at low volume had much less distortion, a much better built product component wise.

Speaking of Black Friday a Wallmart worker was killed this morning in the Valley Stream, LI WM store about 40min from me when a mob of people rushed and broke through the doors at 5 AM! No BS! Sounds like a scene from the Blues Brothers but it's really a sad scary reality story! Animals!

lb

#2017712 - 11/28/08 06:03 PM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Legatoboy]
Eric VB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A GC sales rep once told me that Harbinger is the GC store brand for cabs.

We used to use Harbinger 2x15s as mains for vocals. (The owner of those cabs has since left the band.) For your typical bar venue they seemed fine.

I never a/b'd them to anything else so I can't say if you're really better off spending a lot more cash on quality JBLs or something. (Probably a YMMV situation.) But they did seem better than low-end stuff like Kustom.

I have no experience with the Harbinger powered cabs.

#2017764 - 11/29/08 05:13 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Eric VB]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Eric Van Buren
I have no experience with the Harbinger powered cabs.

It's possible we just had a defective unit, but I didn't want to have the salesperson open another box and drag the speaker back to the keyboard department again.

We might have knocked some people down in the process, considering how large these things are.

#2043958 - 02/16/09 06:17 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: Synthoid]
boolewisjr Offline

i have two Harbinger speakers i tested them out at home and never gave them more than half volume, this weekend i used them and one won't come on it will play and then the clip light will come on i was at a Valentines dance in a gym i was so embarrased... stay away. Guitar Ctr wanted me to buy the extended warranty i declined so im screwed

#2043969 - 02/16/09 06:57 AM Re: Harbinger PA speakers? [Re: boolewisjr]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: boolewisjr
stay away.

I bought a JBL instead.....couple months ago.

snax

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner