Oops, I did it again...

Posted by: picker

Oops, I did it again... - 02/11/13 07:04 PM

Well, call me...something, I don't know what.

I was looking at Craig's List again today, and I saw somebody was selling a Fender Excelsior they had retubed with NOS GE 6V6s and some 12AX7s I don't recall the name of. It was literally next to new, and going for $220. And for once in my life, I had the money in hand! So, being the whatever I am, I bought it.

Now, I have the high-tech Mustang III with 100 watts and every effect you could need built in, and the extremely low-tech Excelsior with 15 watts coming through a 15" speaker with a one-knob tremolo. Man, I'm in amp hog heaven... grin
Posted by: Caevan O'Shite

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/11/13 07:36 PM

Nice. cool
Posted by: LeftyBlues

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/12/13 05:04 AM

Not only are you in amp hog heaven, you're in FENDER amp hog heaven! Geeze for two bucks and change why not?

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/14/13 05:38 PM

I took the Excelsior to a fill-in jam gig last night, and it performed like a winner (I almost said "Champ" but I didn't want to confuse anybody! rimshot).

It would need to be mic'ed in bigger rooms, but for the little rib joint/club I played last night, it was just about right. A lot of the guitar players who came to the jam were asking about it, and a few drummers & bassists as well! Now I'm wondering what two of them together would be like...
Posted by: Dannyalcatraz

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/14/13 07:09 PM

Looks like picker has become the belle of the ball!
Posted by: Bluesape

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/18/13 06:28 PM

Nice lookin' amp. The 15" speaker is a nice touch.
Posted by: CEB

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/19/13 05:02 PM

I just tried one of these. I am going to try it out again but with my guitar and pedal board to see if it pull off the heavier stuff I need to do.

Either this or spend more money and get an attentuator for the Boogie so I can turned it down. It is either loud or off.

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/20/13 03:44 AM

Boogies are for big rooms. If you really wanna get what they have out of them, you gotta turn 'em up. It's what they were really designed for. A few years back, I would have sworn a 15 watt amp with virtually no tone controls and no effects loop just couldn't cut the mustard for me. Live and learn.

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/27/13 10:23 AM

So CEB, didja try the amp out with yer own axe & pedalboard, and what didja think?
Posted by: Larryz

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/27/13 11:24 AM

How about you Picker...what didja think of the Mustang III?

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/27/13 05:57 PM

There's a definite learning curve to progrtamming the Mustang III, even with the FUSE software. But the sounds are great. I am gonna have to spend the extra $90 for the treadle that goes with the foot controllers. I already dropped the $65 for the 4 button footswitch, and with the 2 button switch that comes with it, I have...wait for it...SIX BUTTON CONTROL!

Doesn't that just mess your mind? WOO HOO!
Posted by: Larryz

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/27/13 06:31 PM

Cool thanks for the report. Glad to hear you're getting some great sounds out of it! Have fun...
Posted by: Fumblyfingers

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 02/27/13 10:56 PM

How about some pics friend? thu smile

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 03/07/13 04:21 AM

All I have to take pictures in my phone camera, and it sux. I'll see if I can get someone to shoot some for me.
Posted by: Bluesape

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 03/09/13 07:10 AM

Saw a couple new Excelsiors the other day. Sea Foam Green and Daphne Blue aren't my preferred hues, but the amps look striking! Seems a bit big and heavy for a portable jam amp, but I've yet to hear one live.
Posted by: pinkjimiphoton

Re: Oops, I did it again... - 03/09/13 06:39 PM

awesome bro!!!