Suggestions for a clean boost pedal?

Posted by: desertbluesman

Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/01/13 02:01 PM

Any suggestions for a clean boost pedal and one with an EQ would be cool too.
Posted by: picker

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/01/13 03:57 PM

Lizard Leg's Flying Dragon is good, but it doesn't have eq. I have a clone of a ZVex Super hard-on that is wonderful, but again, no eq. With all due respect, that's kind of the point of a clean boost to me, a transparent increase in volume with as little effect on the tone as possible. Maybe you'd be happier with a mild overdrive that you can set so that it doesn't distort on you, but still gives you a tone stack knob to adjust. I have one of THESE, and it might do what you're asking for. I like mine really well.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/02/13 10:03 AM

Thanks Picker. I have a Boss Blues Driver that I use with my Strat style guitar. I use it for a clean boost and turn the tone control all the way to it's bass side to give the guitar a little boost and cut down on the brightness a bunch. It then gives me a sound similar to a humbucking pup. I like the guitar a bunch but I am tempted to put in some Duncan Little 59'ers instead of the Fender Noiseless Pups I have in it now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I also tried turning the trebles all the way off on my Super Champ X2 amp which also did the trick.

I am not a fan of single coil pups although I wanted them for recording certain tones. However after using them for a while, I decided that I don't need that type of sound for anything I do. However I am a big fan of how some others get monster tone from Fender type guitars.
Posted by: Larryz

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/02/13 10:28 AM

I like the Tech 21 Blonde for on/off clean boost, distortion and going direct to the PA, etc. Many users wish it had an xlr out instead of the 1/4" and are modding them. It has alot of clean Fenderish amp sounds too! They run about $169, worth a try next time you're near a GC...or you can always just use a volume pedal, but I like the Blonde! cool
Posted by: p90jr

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/02/13 10:44 PM

I second the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon... in fact, I own two!

But I used to use a Boss GE7 EQ Pedal as a boost, which definitely has EQ.

Posted by: harvey

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/02/13 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I second the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon... in fact, I own two!

But I used to use a Boss GE7 EQ Pedal as a boost, which definitely has EQ.

Yep, heaps of eq!

I use a BBE Boosta Grande, no eq just boost, but sounds good to me.

Of course once you start getting into boosts you start thinking 'maybe I need another boost in front of my dirt boxes as well as after'...
Posted by: Caevan O'Shite

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/03/13 02:52 AM

If you would also like a great chorus/flanger/pitch-modulation pedal, the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger + also has a FANTASTIC clean buffer/boost, from "Unity-Gain" (0) to 15db of clean, hi-fi boost. The buffer/boost is on at all times, whether the modulation-effects are on or off.

It sounds INCREDIBLE for overdriving a tube-amp!
Posted by: 02R96

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 04:56 AM

I use an Xotic EP Booster. Its a no frills boost, built like a tank in a really small package, and seems to make everything sound better. thu

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 09:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 02R96
I use an Xotic EP Booster. Its a no frills boost, built like a tank in a really small package, and seems to make everything sound better. thu

I have one of these, too. I use it as a "dirtier boost," I guess... a subtle dirt boost with sustain...

I probably have too many boost options on one board, but I use them all... I swear.
Posted by: The Bear Jew

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 01:14 PM

Keeley Katana. Does the job with the option of a little grit if you pull out the pot.
Posted by: Michele C.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 01:23 PM

Looks like a manual winding watch :-)
Posted by: Junior 1

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 01:39 PM

I also use a Boosta Grande and find it to be quiet and have a nice clean boost. I also have a Behringer PB100 boost pedal. I know it's plastic, but it has an EQ and sounds good.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/05/13 02:31 PM

wink
wink thu

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/06/13 02:55 PM

Didja settle on a pedal, DBM?
Posted by: 02R96

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/06/13 07:17 PM

You win Caeven! I feel so inadequate... facepalm

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/06/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 02R96
You win Caeven! I feel so inadequate... facepalm

Oh, I was just jokin'! I love my Plexitube, but it is in no way a "clean boost"! grin In THAT arena, you've got me outgunned! thu

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 08:29 AM

I also have a Siegmund Double Drive preamp that uses two small military tubes, and it's not really an "overdrive," even on the "drive" setting, but adds great EQ and some subtle "sizzle." Brings tubes amps (even dead sounding ones) to life nicely.

I have one of the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube things that was obviously inspired by the Siegmund, and that I love, but it's more of a tone colorer (or generator, since I think it puts out a speaker simulated signal), and the high gain section is HIGH GAIN!!!
Posted by: CEB

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 08:35 AM

Nah! All this over price boutique marketing driven guitar stuff isn't where it is at. You can set it flat or you can emphsize a mid boost. Sounds great with a Marshall.

If you have really good amp. Then go old school for your clean boost.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 10:47 AM

CEB, I'll have you know that I am a bit of a post-materialist (fancy mod lingo for "cheap") and I only buy over-priced boutique marketing driven stuff when someone else is having to part with it for cheap!!!

But yeah, when I was singing for my supper of Ramen noodles I just used a Boss GE7 Graphic EQ pedal and probably sounded just as good to non-playing audience members. I still use it to screw with other effects that come after or before it, like feeding tons of treble into a Big Muff or Fuzzulator and making awful, anti-social, nihilistic-acid FUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Psychotic Reaction!
Posted by: CEB

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 11:20 AM

I used to reccomend the EHX Linear Power Booster LPB-2. I don't anymore. I swear it blew up the audio output transformer in one of my amps ..... actually it me foolishish turning it up too loud using it to overdrive a vintage tweed Gibson amp that blew it up. grin

You can't get the LPB-2 anymore just the LPB-1 and it was noisy. But damn it could give some huge ass boost. 200+ db I think.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 11:32 AM

Yeah, the new LPBs were too noisy for my tastes.

BBE has shrunken their clean boost and it has a nice price point, I think.

I was reading a thing about the recording of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Rick Turner said he was putting the Alembic Stratoblasters into Buckingham's strats for those sessions (people assume it was a Les Paul like he was using onstage) and they could do a couple of takes before the boosted output would blow the transformers on the Hiwatt heads they were using... they were continually having to replace the transformers in the amps.

Also, the fuzz on the solo on "Go Your Own Way" was made by plugging into a reel to reel tape deck and then into the mixing desk.
Posted by: Dannyalcatraz

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/07/13 11:58 AM

You might consider T. Rex's MAB Overdrive.

Michael Angelo Batio had them design it to deliver the clean boost he likes...might work for you, too.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/08/13 08:41 AM

Wow lotsa options up there, all good suggestions thanks. I especially like the looks of the MXR EQ pedal.

There was once a great producer who was asked; If there was only one effect you could use and no others what would it be? And his answer was "EQ".

And from recording all these years I can attest to that as well.
Posted by: Fumblyfingers

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/09/13 11:57 PM

dbm.........I have an Xotic Effects RC Booster and it is a very nice pedal and readily available. I also have the Xotic AC Booster and EP Booster. The EP is nice to leave on all the time and it just adds some girth to the signal...really warms it up along with some fatness.

The RC Booster.....Really Clean...... is a super pedal. You can add dirt to it but it's not like distortion or overdrive........just some grit. The Bass and Treble controls do a nice job and lastly there is the level control. You can use it to make up for line loss due to long cables etc or to push the front end of the amp harder.

The AC Booster....Almost Clean...... is a tad more gain-ey and you can get full on overdrive out of it with the Gain turned up high.

Both pedals are very transparent and will not color your sound.

A lot of people will tell you the Klon is the only way to go. I have not played one so I cannot comment......but I like the sound of guys I know who use them. Thing is......they are really expensive and were not even available for a long long time.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/10/13 04:25 PM

Thanks Fumblyfingers that RC booster looks real good.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/10/13 04:54 PM

Glad you liked the MXR EQ Booster DBM as I was going to suggest it also...they have a couple of models out there right now depending on how much EQ you want...good luck with the search and you'll find free shipping at sweetwater!
Posted by: SEHpicker

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 05:54 AM

I have an old MXR Micro Amp that someone gave me years ago - I've never used it but this thread makes me want to pull it out and give er a whirl - anyone have any experience with this pedal?

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 08:34 AM

The best "clean boost" for overdriving, boosting, fattening and compressing your leads is to simply turn a good tube-amp louder than you intend to play, roll back your guitar's volume-knobs for cleans, and bring 'em back up to taste (as well as putting a little "English" on your "touch") for grindy, chunky rhythms and overdriven, distorted leads and fills. No pedal required.
Posted by: Scott Fraser

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
The best "clean boost" for overdriving, boosting, fattening and compressing your leads is to simply turn a good tube-amp louder than you intend to play, roll back your guitar's volume-knobs for cleans, and bring 'em back up to taste (as well as putting a little "English" on your "touch") for grindy, chunky rhythms and overdriven, distorted leads and fills. No pedal required.

But isn't the whole point to be always buying more gear? I can't understand how you can be advocating not purchasing more pedals in good conscience. Shocking.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

But isn't the whole point to be always buying more gear? I can't understand how you can be advocating not purchasing more pedals in good conscience. Shocking.

OK; buy some gold-plated skull-knobs with knurly rubber head-bands for pinky-traction on 'em. And some high-quality cables. That do ya, Scott?

wink thu grin

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 09:49 AM

Yeah, shame on you Caevan!
Posted by: Winston Psmith

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 10:18 AM

No love for the good old MXR Micro Amp? I had one of those as the front end of my signal chain for most of the 90's until I went over to multi-effects. Boost & buffer, all in one pedal, good for driving long pedal chains, or just really long cables.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 06:55 PM

Quote:
OK; buy some gold-plated skull-knobs with knurly rubber head-bands for pinky-traction on 'em. And some high-quality cables. That do ya, Scott?

wink thu grin

That's starting to get close. Maybe substitute rhinestones for the knurled rubber bands. Same traction coefficient, much greater bling coefficient.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/11/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

wink thu grin

That's starting to get close. Maybe substitute rhinestones for the knurled rubber bands. Same traction coefficient, much greater bling coefficient.

grin
Posted by: skipclone 1

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/12/13 09:36 PM

Would really love to try one of these, no luck finding one outside Italy so far:

http://www.orlando-guitars.com/ebrilliance.html

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 06:13 AM

Quote:

wink thu grin

grin

Got you covered, check these out. Uglify any guitar in moments, without "relicing" - Skull Knobs, w/rhinestones(?)

Getting back to the OP, I was looking at a Barber Launch Pad, at one point. Seemed to be better engineered than a lot of others.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Getting back to the OP, I was looking at a Barber Launch Pad, at one point. Seemed to be better engineered than a lot of others.

Probably an excellent pedal; Barber's tend to be. cool

Got you covered, check these out. Uglify any guitar in moments, without "relicing" - Skull Knobs, w/rhinestones(?)

freak Too fugly... !! grin Ya sure they ain't Sleestaks?!

____

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Would really love to try one of these, no luck finding one outside Italy so far:

I hope Jimiphoton chimes in on this one...it looks like it would be packing a lot of extra weight having a power transformer inside. Why not just buy a good tube amp and crank it up on the clean side?

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 08:28 AM

That's what I'm talking about, skulls with mohawks. Ugly, stupid & non-functional all at the same time.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 12:18 PM

freak Too fugly... !! grin Ya sure they ain't Sleestaks?!

____

70's-vintage Cylon skulls, maybe? I'm thinking any guitar I hated enough to put those on it . . . well, I sure as hell wouldn't spend any money to customize it. A little 'relicing' with a chainsaw, or a wood chipper, might do the trick.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/13/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Larryz

I hope Jimiphoton chimes in on this one...it looks like it would be packing a lot of extra weight having a power transformer inside. Why not just buy a good tube amp and crank it up on the clean side?

Well that`s just what makes it good-you have the whole works sans amp. With a tube amp there could be some mismatched tube output with the unit, but for recording or SS amps I think it would be great.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/14/13 04:42 AM

Quote:

wink thu grin

"...Like a rhinestone stompbox..."

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/14/13 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Larryz

Well that`s just what makes it good-you have the whole works sans amp. With a tube amp there could be some mismatched tube output with the unit, but for recording or SS amps I think it would be great.

Yeah, I was wondering if there might be a mismatched tube problem or generated phantom power problems with the transformer, etc. inside the pedal. I thought maybe it might be used as a clean boost to get tube amp sounds using a solid state amp if there were no power problems going direct to the amp? I was guessing it would be no big deal to figure out how to send a non-powered monitor signal like you would from a PA that has tubes and transformers to any monitor amp or powered speaker. I can definately see using it as a clean amp for recording purposes too... thu

ps. Now that I think about it, I have a little 4 channel Squire PA solid state head that I have done exactly what I have described and have run it direct to my old 4 channel cassette recorder and got some great clean sounds going direct without mic'ing my amp(s)...

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 02/14/13 03:24 PM

Ya, depending on the situation a power converter for the transformer would be a good idea-not a major inconvenience tho.
Posted by: pinkjimiphoton

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 05/12/13 12:43 PM

picker,
if ya want a simple tone control for the priapism, let me know... it definitely has enough gain on tap if you want a big muff pi kinda tone stack to add on. two connections and a hole if ya wanna do it, let me know, i can build it on the back of a pot and send it to ya if you can solder it to the hot point and ground and mount it.
just something to think about bro

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 05/12/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton
picker,
if ya want a simple tone control for the priapism, let me know... it definitely has enough gain on tap if you want a big muff pi kinda tone stack to add on. two connections and a hole if ya wanna do it, let me know, i can build it on the back of a pot and send it to ya if you can solder it to the hot point and ground and mount it.
just something to think about bro

I will think about it, and thanks for the offer. But I wasn't complaining about the lack of a tone control, just giving DBM the full skinny on the pedals I was telling him about. I kind of like the pedal with one knob.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 05/12/13 05:58 PM

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
Posted by: Zoya

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/06/13 08:28 AM

Hello
I tossed all my pedals a long time ago, er.. actually sold them on ebay for a ton.

Now use an old 2020 Yamaha compressor.

Plug Strat into channel one, plug output of channel one to input of channel two, channel two output to amp.

With input and output gains at 9 O'clock signal is clean.. clean.

When gains are at 12 noon and guitar at 50% its Crunch City.

Guitar 100% gains at 3 O'clock its an Atomic Chain Saw.

Add compressor and gating functions and this setup is a ton of fun that sounds amazing. Cost 69$ Ebay.
Roy
Posted by: Bluesape

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/08/13 07:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5bR3NVabrZg

Just saw this in the new GP issue - looks really interesting.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/08/13 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bluesape

I used to joke that nobody made a "Smooth Jazz" pedal . . . well, I was half right.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/08/13 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluesape

I used to joke that nobody made a "Smooth Jazz" pedal . . . well, I was half right.

Great jazz guitar company so they probably wouldn't put their name on the pedal unless it passed their sound/tone tests. Cool concept with the xlr direct in output along with 1/4" outs. Too bad they didn't demo it on the video...
Posted by: Dr. Ellwood

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/09/13 02:32 AM

KLON.

Re: Suggestions for a clean boost pedal? - 06/17/13 04:15 PM

or KLONE?