MusicPlayerNetwork.com
Posted By: allan_evett Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/14/20 11:45 PM
I just landed a tribute band subbing gig for June, with potential for more dates. I've covered several of John Mellencamp's songs over the the past couple decades (and likely have faked my way through another half dozen), but this set list is pretty extensive (including the full, piano intro for 'I Need a Lover.. '). Plus I'll be covering the accordion and melodica stuff (Have the Melodica, will have to
cover accordion with samples, volume pedal,, etc.)

Has anyone else here done a Mellencamp tribute, and possibly have charts and/or scores? I can transcribe the sets if need be, but any help I can get will save time; especially for 'I Need a Lover'. Thanks!
Posted By: zxcvbnm098 Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/15/20 02:01 AM
Man, I love that original version of "I Need A Lover".....the piano work is awesome. I believe it was done by Brian BecVar. Very Roy Bittan-like. Such a great long intro.

But alas, I've not tried to learn it. Best of luck!!
Posted By: allan_evett Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/15/20 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm098
Man, I love that original version of "I Need A Lover".....the piano work is awesome. I believe it was done by Brian BecVar. Very Roy Bittan-like. Such a great long intro.

But alas, I've not tried to learn it. Best of luck!!

I don't think any of his piano and organ parts will be that rough to learn. It's more the time to transcribe the signature lines for keys. I've done a ridiculous amount of transcribing over the past few decades, and am kind of burned out by it. I wish in this case that some actual pro charts w/signature leads were available. I did a gig two years ago on which Cherry Bomb was charted, with the accordion lines scored. Called up the accordion patch on a Kronos, read it down; easy-peasy.
Posted By: aellison62 Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/15/20 04:19 PM
My band just added “I need a Lover” as our opening song (the long version). I don’t have it charted, just learned it. I cover a second electric guitar part with my left hand to make it sound fuller so I have my Forte doing the right handed piano part as layered octaves in certain parts ( like the very beginning)
Posted By: Cower, Boy! NQ Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/15/20 09:40 PM
One of my bands does “I Need A Lover” including the piano intro. Feel free to DM me if I can assist.
Posted By: CEB Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/15/20 11:36 PM
Playing accordion in a John Cougar tribute sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted By: allan_evett Re: Mellencamp Tribute Band Gig - 02/16/20 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by CowboyNQ
One of my bands does “I Need A Lover” including the piano intro. Feel free to DM me if I can assist.

Thanks! Direct message sent.
© Music Player Network