MusicPlayer.com

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

Posted By: davinwv

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:07 AM

https://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/BO

Posted By: rickzjamm

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:17 AM

I like the sound & digging the organ pic... but "BO"? ;0)

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:19 AM

Yeah - the French developers probably didn't understand why the name wasn't a good idea ;-).
Posted By: jmolino

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 03:23 PM

Wow - I'm pretty impressed - best plugin' I've seen yet. Not sure how it would hold up to HX3 or Mojo, but it's pretty dam good and comprehensive for sure. I might have a little GAS money to pick this up....

-John
Posted By: Steve Nathan

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:07 PM

Quote:
digging the organ pic... but "BO"?

Perhaps they heard you. Now looks to be B-5. Notice the video at the top of this thread now is titled B-5, and the graphics on the organ say B-5, but it reverts to B-0 once the video starts.
I wrote to my friend w/acousticsamples, but I may need an updated email address for him. I stuck some feelers out through other sources, but it does look like it may very well be a significant step up in the software organ game. Reasonably priced too.
Posted By: mate stubb

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:20 PM

Sampled?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/04/16 11:24 PM

Quote:
Sampled?

Apparently, but to an extreme level. The vid is long, but it explains how and why.
Posted By: Markay

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/05/16 04:58 AM

Since OSX moved to 64 bit and GSI chose not to release a 64 bit AU VB3 version the only available and decent sounding B3 emulation for OSX has been Vintage B3.

I think this will sell well to those on OSX and maybe to VB3 users on Windows as VB3 has not been updated for some time now.

Looking forward to auditioning B-5 and comparing it to Vintage B3.

Interesting they chose to use samples for core sounds at the same time Hammond has gone to modelling in the XK 5.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/05/16 12:31 PM

Got my email issues worked out, and a "test" copy is on the way so I'll be chiming in as soon as I get to running it through some paces.
It is mostly samples, but it occurred to me that I think their Wurly is the best on the planet and it is also samples, so I'm optimistic.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/05/16 11:14 PM

Just got it up and running. It's deep and sounds amazing cool
I'll be digging in for days, as it's a tweaker's dream, but first learning how to make it work with my various controllers. I don't see "midi learn" yet, but there is full cc assignment available. I also don't see horn/rotor acceleration timing adjustment, but the default is typical real world sounding.
The grand take away is by far the sound, which is the best "in the box" I've ever heard. Yes, it's samples, but has none of that harshness (especially high note harshness) so common to the clones. Perhaps not a fair fight, as VB3 has not been updated in some time, but this is light years better sounding to my ears. For anyone getting their organs out of "the box", this is a no brainer even if it were 3 times the price. At $109, it's a steal. As a 64bit Mac runner there's definitely no reason to stick with 32Lives/VB3 anymore.
Posted By: davedoerfler

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan
As a 64bit Mac runner there's definitely no reason to stick with 32Lives/VB3 anymore.

and there you have it. thu cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 01:29 AM

Thanks for posting Steve.

I was going to pull the trigger last night but then saw your post and figured I would wait to read the Guru's first impressions.

I will grab it tonight. Do you know how much space it requires once installed?

AS are good in making new stuff available as 32 or 64 bit Windows and OSX and this can even be run in XP, using a legacy version of UVI and an iLok dongle. Computer authorization is not available on XP.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 03:11 AM

I know some people get excited about mentioning specific retailers but for anyone who is interested is saving some coin I just ordered through JRRShop and got an in cart discount. Think euro price in $US to get an idea of the amount.

And to be clear I am in no way associated with any MI retailer anywhere on this planet.
Posted By: analogholic

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 06:52 AM

The first thing that struck me even thru my crappy iPhone earbuds was a certain woodiness regarding the tone.
Wasn't blown away by the rotor sim at first listen.
Is it possible to bypass the sim and use it with a Vent?
If so, I think I'll get it.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 07:07 AM

I guess so, turn the rotary off and send the the output to a Vent, or PSP L'Otary or Melba sim. You could also substitute the PSP scanner for the C/V. Lots of options available now.
Posted By: vanderSchoot

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 07:16 AM

but has none of that harshness (especially high note harshness) so common to the clones.

Is this only in comparison with VB3 1.04 and vst's like NIB4 ?,....or are you talking about hardware clones like the Mojo, Hx3, Nord, Hammond S, KeyB / Numa etc. ?
Because if so, you could save me a lot of money I want to spend on a new clone, while still owning two very good ones (Numa and HX3).

Thanks in advance.......

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 12:48 PM

1. You can bypass the "Leslie". I ran it through L'otary last night with no problems. I don't own a Vent (though I do have a Burn somewhere), but I'd guess it's just a simple to accomplish.
My comment re:harshness was aimed at nearly every clone I've ever tried. I don't currently own one (and the last one i did was 20 yrs ago), but I've always found the top end harsh on clones, particularly the Hammond/Suzukis I've tried.

I'm headed out, but let me quickly clear up a few things.
First, I'm not the guy for a "shootout" or full scale "Alfredson" style review. Like I said, I don't own much of the gear you want comparisons to so I can't weigh in on it's merits relative to Mojo or Numa or H3 etc.
What I am doing is just posting my impressions for anyone who might be interested.
That said, I also want to be sure everyone understands that I did not pay for this instrument. I've known the owner of this company for several years, since we both worked on another instrument several years ago for another company (he actually did real work. I just gave feed back and impressions, suggestions for improvement and bug flaws kinds of stuff).
Under his own banner, he makes some of imho the best VIs on the planet (his Wurly is 2nd to none in my book cool ), and I have bought and paid for several of them, but a couple of times, he has asked me to check out something new and provide the same sort of feedback. This is one of those occasions. He fully understands that I will always be honest, and I think he is aware that I will most likely tell people (like around here) what I think and he's OK with accepting that if I don't like something, I will say so publicly.
In the case of this B-5, in the short time I've had to give it a whirl, I am quite positive in digging it, and happy to "tell my friends" that I do.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer a more thorough review, or head to head comparison with what else is out there. I'm also fairly sure that someone will be along here soon to bitch about iLoks laugh

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 12:53 PM

New email tells me there is "Midi Learn" in there, and confirms that there is not variable control of "acceleration speeds". Apparently this info is on the website and explains that the Leslie is modeled by the folks at UVI from a real one, and a lot of analysis went into the settings. Honestly, it sounds about right to me, but as I said earlier, you can use Vent, Burn, L'otary or Melda if you prefer. I can attest to both liking the internal, and liking the variation options w/L'otary, so there's plenty to work with. Again, the organ is pretty stellar.
Posted By: George88

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 06:24 PM

Thanks, Steve.
Posted By: Jr. Deluxe

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 06:42 PM

I'm not complaining about ilok cause I don't really know how it works. Do I need a physical dongle (try telling your friends you are buying a dongle today)?
Can I use B5 on multiple computers. One thing I like about vb3 is that I can have it on my studio computer and also on a tablet to take to gigs without undoing any studio gear.
Posted By: David Emm

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 09:17 PM

Now THAT'S a demo. I'm not even an organist and I still felt a twinge of GAS. Their split method of sound generation sounds like a Holy Grail moment to me. Nice & lush. You can hear the oil on the capillary threads! w00t

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 09:20 PM

Only if you plan to install it on a machine running XP because then it runs inside a legacy version of the UVI player that only supports authorisation via a dongle.

For newer OS's it is online authorisation.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Markay

For newer OS's it is online authorisation.

I didn't see in the faqs how many simultaneous authorizations you are allowed. It also mentions more ram needed than vb3. Older comps might not work. I don't think my laptop supports 4Gs of ram.
Posted By: kwyn

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/06/16 11:20 PM

Does it do mic distance (not spread)? I like a close mic'd sound.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Baldwin Funster

I didn't see in the faqs how many simultaneous authorizations you are allowed.

Posted By: roygBiv

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 12:34 AM

This looks very impressive-
How is the interface for live use?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 05:32 AM

For me no different to Vintage B3 or VB3, just map DB's, C/V, rotary, OD, percussion, etc. to the sliders, knobs and buttons on the Axiom.
Posted By: M_G

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 06:28 AM

Sounds good!

iPad Version please !!!!!!!!!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: M_G

Sounds good!

iPad Version please !!!!!!!!!

Or Android. Somebody make a decent android organ app please.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: kwyn
Does it do mic distance (not spread)? I like a close mic'd sound.

No but it sounds good and you can turn the Rotary off and route through another sim like L'otary if the B-5 is not to your liking.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 12:03 PM

Spent an hour with it tonight. Sounds great and is one of those rare VI's like VB3 and Pianoteq that you just want to play and not tweak.

All the subtle Hammond elements that are around the core tone are there and well balanced. Volume balance between notes feels just right and the highest octave is creamy without being shrill. Down low it 'breathes' without getting muddy.

I'm no expert so will leave it to those that are to comment on how faithful it is to the original. Suffice to say I really enjoyed playing it and reluctantly dragged myself away to catch the last 30 klm's of the 2nd stage of the Giro.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/07/16 12:18 PM

BTW MS3 showed that it was using between 40% and 50% of CPU (i7) so might not be suited to low power or older machines. Also make sure you have UVI Workstation 2.6.5. I can guarantee the UFS file will not be recognised by earlier versions grin facepalm

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 01:24 AM

I bought this tonight and it is very inspiring. I have used VB3/L'otary for some time now, but can't imagine going back to them. The mic distance adds a great amount of air to a really fantastic tone. They did a marvelous job sampling with this set. I highly recommend.

No dongle required, I activated straight to my laptop, but I have two more authorizations available.

DaveinWV, thank you for raising our attention to this great set.
Posted By: hardware

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 02:37 AM

I love my HX3 because it has no ewual for the 70s rock sound.I actually have 8 different and distinct presets from Steppenwolf to Uriah Heep Argent (Zombies too) ELP and Deep Purple.

But the upper footages on the UVI have better fidelity on first listen.

Hammond emus are like string instruments.
Gotta have them all.

But somebody do some demos please.
Above demos sounded too much like Wersi or Wrigley Field.

But that scanner vibrato and upper footages caught my ear.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 05:02 AM

AS are good in making new stuff available as 32 or 64 bit Windows and OSX and this can even be run in XP, using a legacy version of UVI and an iLok dongle. Computer authorization is not available on XP.

On reflection as B-5 requires the latest version of UVI WorkStation to load the UFS and the B-5 UFS will not load in earlier versions of the UVI WS it would not be available on any OS including XP that requires a legacy version of the UVI workstation.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 09:23 AM

I'm glad everyone is liking it so far! I actually haven't yet grabbed it, but I plan to do so sometime this week.

Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy? I'll probably set it up to be driven by my Mojo 61 when it arrives.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 10:14 AM

Can someone compare it to VB3 2? Is it worth it if I have DMC and Gemini?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: davinwv

Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy? I'll probably set it up to be driven by my Mojo 61 when it arrives.

Yes midi mapping is an UVI function, right click on the item to be mapped for example 16' DB, move the 16' DB on the controller and its done.

Saying that I think I have found a few bugs with some CC's. Will update when I hear back from AS.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 11:53 AM

Quote:
Is the MIDI CC mapping/learn pretty easy?

It is. I struggled at first trying to find the words "Midi Learn" somewhere, but then realized that all I had to do was right click and move the controller of choice.
One of my CME controllers is causing some weirdness, but I'm pretty sure it's in the CME not the B5.
I have to say, I load this thing up to experiment with it's features, but find myself "just playing" and forgetting everything else. I sounds like a real Hammond, and more than any other software organs I've ever played. Still can't weigh in on how it compares to hardware boxes, Mojos, HXs etc, but for tracking, in the box, it's wonderful.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 12:07 PM

One of my CME controllers is causing some weirdness, but I'm pretty sure it's in the CME not the B5.

Maybe not, here is the reply I got regardng my query that CC71,72,73 would not map to drawbars but always reverted to percussion and CV.

AS reply (received 5 minutes after sending the email to support - exceptional service)
"This probably has something to do with the CC assignment panel.
You can’t use the MIDI learn and the assignments at the same time.

We had to create this panel as many buttons like the Leslie speed have specific behaviors.
To access it, just go in the advanced preferences and click at the top on the “assign CCs” button.

If you want to use the MIDI learn you already created, just set every controller value in here to -1 and they won’t have any effect.
Alternatively, you can MIDI "unlearn" everything and use only this panel."

I agree just playing B-5 is a blast. I sat down to map things and got carried away for an hour playing John Lord style OD licks. Sublime.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 12:20 PM

Just as finished typing the above I received an email from AS advising they have updated the B-5 user guide to include instructions on how to map midi. Fast work - the updated guide is available online now.
Posted By: TWB121234

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/09/16 01:43 PM

I purchased this over the weekend. I have used (and own) Native Instruments B-4 II, VB3, Mainstage Vintage B3 with L'otary, and DB33 in software. I have a Mojo 61 on order, and have been using a Hammond SK1. I agree with the comments above about the addictive nature of playing this VI. Certainly in software, this will be my chosen organ. It has the right amount of "spit", among other things. I should also add that I am not a Hammond "expert" (though I certainly know the sound(s) I prefer), I only ever owned one (original Hammond) and that was an L series spinet/Leslie 145 and a very long time ago. Most of my organ playing these days is "band-gig" or blues organ. I keep the quasi jazz chops for home and shedding. This is great fun.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/16 09:42 PM

I guess there isn't a limited demo version? I'd like to see if B5 would run on a win 10 tablet before I buy something that has online authorization.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 11:38 AM

I have been exchanging emails with Arno at AcousticSamples regarding some naming and midi control assignment issues in B-5.

The response from AS has been exceptional, almost immediate responses and updates implemented in the form of new download within hours.

The most recent issue was raised two hours ago and added functionality coded and implemented in a revised download which is available now.

I have experienced nothing less than good service from VI vendors over the past 3 years but AS get my award for world's best service in terms of the speed of implementation of these enhancements.

For those who have already purchased B-5 when you can drag yourself away from playing it grab the updated download that will be available in your account to take advantage of the midi mapping enhancements.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 01:20 PM

I purchased the module and I have to say - it sounds great when put up against my DMC/Gemini (Mojo/VB3 2.0), the HX3 as well as my 1963 B3 w/ 147 and modd'ed 45's (2 speed MTCLogic controller board providing the Chorale setting). I haven't picked a favorite yet (I mean, the B-3 obviously is what I'm comparing against). But each has it's own nuances (much like different tonewheel organs do)...

Initial impression - it sounds super convincing and I'm digging it...

Maybe I can do a comparison video - but time is tight right now, so it's not something I can get to right away....

But I definitely don't have any buyer's remorse!

-John

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 01:26 PM

Note - if anyone knows what the correct midi CC parameter values for the Chorus/Vibrato settings are that would be appreciated?

I know that its CC#73, but to change to each one (C1, C2, C3, V1, V2, V3) what is the value (between 0 and 127) for each setting? The default DMC settings (with the Generic or VB3 template) are skipping the C2 setting.

Thank you,
John Molino

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 02:18 PM

The video mentioned sampling chorus vibrato. That makes no sense to me.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 02:45 PM

@Markay - you are right about fast support! Arno replied back to my query about the parameter question in less than an hour - here is the reply in case others are trying to control this plugin from any controller:

Quote:

Hi John,

Everything is divided equally into 6 zones, so 0 to 21 is C1, 22 to 43 is V2, etc.

Best regards,

Arno
samples@acousticsamples.com
www.acousticsamples.net

@Mate Stubb - Yeah I get what you are saying....how does one "sample" chorus and vibrato....I'm guessing that it probably has some kind of tech built into it whereby they sampled C/V on an arbitrary drawbar combination, then did some kind of modeling off that for when you hit the switch. I'll put a query to Arno as well as point him to this thread.

Thanks,
John
Posted By: miden

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 04:01 PM

I dunno...boys and their organs...can anyone ever separate them grin

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 04:41 PM

@Mate Stubb - More from Arno:

Quote:
Hi John,

As much as i would like to answer on this forum, i’ve been banned from it… for posting a news about a commercial product once a while ago…
Anyway, regarding the vibrato, yes, we sampled it just like the regular tone and use it as the source whenever the vibrato is enabled.

I don’t want to explain too much how it works though as it was actually one of the big challenges with this library, but basically, it was sampled for each of the 91 frequencies and since we do not stack samples but use the synthesis approach, we just add more or less volume of every selected frequency, just like for the regular non vibrato tone.

This is a bit different than what happens on the real machine but gives the same result.

Best regards,

Arno

-John

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 06:40 PM

why didn't you PM with this request instead of posting it on the forum? facepalm idk

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 07:04 PM

Stay tuned

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 07:12 PM

Stay tuned

Do vsti's go out of tune? laugh

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jmolino
@Mate Stubb - More from Arno:

Quote:
Hi John,

As much as i would like to answer on this forum, i’ve been banned from it… for posting a news about a commercial product once a while ago…
Anyway, regarding the vibrato, yes, we sampled it just like the regular tone and use it as the source whenever the vibrato is enabled.

I don’t want to explain too much how it works though as it was actually one of the big challenges with this library, but basically, it was sampled for each of the 91 frequencies and since we do not stack samples but use the synthesis approach, we just add more or less volume of every selected frequency, just like for the regular non vibrato tone.

This is a bit different than what happens on the real machine but gives the same result.

Best regards,

Arno

-John

Hmm. So each tonewheel is sampled dry, and 6 times more with all the variations of CV? Then they play back all the samples needed and somehow the sample playback stays synchronized so that the CV remains cohesive? Seems like it could work I guess.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/16 10:32 PM

Moe the details on where the modelling takes over, other than for the Rotary sim are deliberately vague.

But once you start playing it there seems little reason to ponder the details. It just sounds right.

DMC-122 C/V Midi CC settings - 05/12/16 01:47 PM

Here are the correct settings for the C/V controlling the B-5 with a DMC (and can be applied to other controllers, using the correct midi CC# (73) and the parameters for controlling each of the different C/V's: (the parameters are as follows: C3 = 0, V2=43, C2=64, V1=85, C1=106, V1=127 - obviously you could re-order them, I just did it in incrementing values on the DMC):

(finally figured out how to upload an image!)

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/16 02:35 PM

My CME UF80 does not want to get along with B5. It's hardly the best controller for organ, but it's my primary controller at home and I would have liked the option of using it when I didn't want to take the time to switch. It's clearly a new problem with the CME as it appears to have quit responding to "Pedal B" altogether regardless of how I set it or how many factory resets I try mad

FWIW: The sound of this thing is smokin' imho, but I agree that the Leslie sound, while very authentic, might occasionally be a little too "roomy" for some songs. I've found a workaround though. If you place a transient tamer after the B5, you can dial back the room sound. I put UAs SPL Transient Designer in the effects chain and it works brilliantly. cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/16 03:08 PM

FWIW: The sound of this thing is smokin' imho, but I agree that the Leslie sound, while very authentic, might occasionally be a little too "roomy" for some songs. I've found a workaround though. If you place a transient tamer after the B5, you can dial back the room sound. I put UAs SPL Transient Designer in the effects chain and it works brilliantly. cool

What if you move the virtual mics closer? Still too roomy?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/16 03:15 PM

I was not aware that you could move the mics in the B-5/UVI Leslie sim. It works great in L'otary of course, but for people interested in this instrument (B-5), who don't have Vents, Burns, L'otarys or Meldas, I was offering my observation that you can dial out the room with a transient designer.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/16 03:25 PM

I was not aware that you could move the mics in the B-5/UVI Leslie sim. It works great in L'otary of course, but for people interested in this instrument (B-5), who don't have Vents, Burns, L'otarys or Meldas, I was offering my observation that you can dial out the room with a transient designer.

Whoops! It doesn't look as if you can adjust distance, only the "Air" parameter - my mistake. Sorry about that!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/13/16 11:36 PM

Quote:
My CME UF80 does not want to get along with B5

Fixed. Not the CME after all, but leftover schmegma in my DP session template. Rebuilt and all is smooth. cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 02:42 AM

twothumbs rockit

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 10:55 AM

I'm so tempted but I wish there was playable demo. A limited time demo or a demo with keys disabled or one that cuts out periodically like VB3 had. That made it easy for me to pull the trigger. I got to play it. $100 is much more than I paid for vb3 and I need to play before I buy.
Posted By: Jazzmammal

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 12:17 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem but I just thought of a deal for you. Use me for your demo. If it doesn't work for you I'll buy it, full price. Just make sure it can be transferred.

PM me. I don't have to get this immediately, I can wait for you to check it out.

Bob

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 12:36 PM

After having this for about a week I have to say, this plugin is probably the BEST sounding clone I have ever heard. It's almost UNREAL how realistic it sounds....its got that crunch, that woodyness, that keyclick sound - even the keycontact thing they got right (where you hear each individual of the 9 contacts coming in)... and the C/V is fantastic!

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3 (as well as my B-3) and it's almost bothersome how good it sounds in comparison.....seeing as how I thought "how could it get any better than these two?"....(take your pick on which you think sounds better - for me, there are some things I like better about the HX3 and some things I like better about the VB3v2 in the Gemini/DMC-122).

Perhaps, the ONLY thing that needs a little work is the Leslie Sim which isn't quite as good as either the Mojo or the HX3 (both nailed the Leslie sim I think)....However, there are a lot of different settings, (cabinet selection, mic selection, etc - that I still haven't gone through completely yet that could maybe make this just a "settings" thing....)

If I think about how much time I put into getting my HX3 and my Gemini to sound the way I wanted - it isn't even fair to compare that yet since I don't have that kind of time into the plugin yet....

But you could also bypass the internal Leslie sim if you wanted and chain it through L'Otary or a Vent/Burn, etc as others have pointed out.

Also, to top it off, it has a ridiculous amount of presets that show the drawbar settings, percussion, C/V, and all the Mic tweaks that are possible to get the sound of many of your favorite organists as well as the settings from some notable songs, genre's, etc. This alone to me was also an added value since finding that right drawbar setting for a particular sound you are trying for is sometimes challenging.

All that said, I still don't think I would sell either my HX3 nor my Gemini - since they both have their place....but if I were to say which sounds the best - right now, this is it....I'm absolutely blown away!

Congrats Arno on an amazing plugin'!

I do agree with you about having a playable demo...there should be a way to accomplish this... I bet a lot more plugin's would sell if they can pull that off since many people (like yourself) aren't willing to pluck down $100+ if they can't try it out for themselves.

Regards,

-John

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 12:37 PM

Acoustic samples don't do demo's. I guess as an established VI developer they have credibility and it works for them. They are not alone in not providing demo's but I agree it would be nice if they did.

GSI warn that VB3 may be incompatible on even 32 bit Macs and suggest downloading the demo and finding out for yourself. If it doesn't work - tough. If you upgrade to a current version of OSX then forget VB3, there is no interest in updating it to work with current OS's. On the other hand AS are guaranteeing their VI's work on 32/64 bit Windows and Mac and provide excellent support.

I would prefer to use software from VI developer that is committed to keeping them up to date with changes in the OS they are used on rather than be stuck in legacy land.

If that means I spend $100 on the odd occasion for something that doesn't work for me so be it. Most VI licenses can be resold so it you have the option of getting some of your $100 back if it is not for you.

Posted By: JohnnyB3

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 01:00 PM

The sound demos are impressive. Larry Goldings! Wonder what controller he used.

https://soundcloud.com/acousticsamples/boogie-man-larry-goldings
https://soundcloud.com/acousticsamples/tight-shoes2-larry-goldings
https://soundcloud.com/acousticsamples/church-improvisation-1-larry-goldings
https://soundcloud.com/acousticsamples/church-improvisation-2-larry-goldings
Posted By: AnotherScott

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 02:04 PM

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3

Do you have the drawbar module for the HX3? Does B5 work with that? (IIRC, it's a little unusual in that, instead of each drawbar sending a different CC, they all send the same CC but on different channels...?)

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 02:34 PM

Wow, this sounds so tempting - couple of quick questions for anyone that knows:

- How big is the download (couldn't find it on the site)
- is it a universal license, i.e., if I bought if for my PC, then later bought a Mac laptop for live use, could I use the same license for both?
- regarding live use - are the graphics reasonably large enough to see for patch selection, moderate live tweaking onstage (so many developers seem to forget this aspect and put key functionality in 9 point font).

OK, thanks, just desperately grasping at straws trying to find a reason not to buy smile
Posted By: Acoustic Samples

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 03:27 PM

Hey guys, i'm glad you all seem to like the B-5!
I finally got an account to be able to answer here.
So, the download is about 250Mb (the info was just added to the website).
The license is of course universal, it is handled by iLok, but an iLok key is not necessary, you can register your library on up to 3 computers and deactivate / reactivate any of them any number of time.
The graphic size is 720 x 480, you decide if it is big enough for you wink

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 03:43 PM

Thank you sir!

I was afraid of that - those are all positive answers to things I was worried about - that is a very reasonable files size for that much functionality, and the universality is nice to know

But now I'm running now out of excuses smirk

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 05:37 PM

After having this for about a week I have to say, this plugin is probably the BEST sounding clone I have ever heard. It's almost UNREAL how realistic it sounds....its got that crunch, that woodyness, that keyclick sound - even the keycontact thing they got right (where you hear each individual of the 9 contacts coming in)... and the C/V is fantastic!

I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3 (as well as my B-3) and it's almost bothersome how good it sounds in comparison.....seeing as how I thought "how could it get any better than these two?"....(take your pick on which you think sounds better - for me, there are some things I like better about the HX3 and some things I like better about the VB3v2 in the Gemini/DMC-122).

Perhaps, the ONLY thing that needs a little work is the Leslie Sim which isn't quite as good as either the Mojo or the HX3 (both nailed the Leslie sim I think)....However, there are a lot of different settings, (cabinet selection, mic selection, etc - that I still haven't gone through completely yet that could maybe make this just a "settings" thing....)

If I think about how much time I put into getting my HX3 and my Gemini to sound the way I wanted - it isn't even fair to compare that yet since I don't have that kind of time into the plugin yet....

But you could also bypass the internal Leslie sim if you wanted and chain it through L'Otary or a Vent/Burn, etc as others have pointed out.

Also, to top it off, it has a ridiculous amount of presets that show the drawbar settings, percussion, C/V, and all the Mic tweaks that are possible to get the sound of many of your favorite organists as well as the settings from some notable songs, genre's, etc. This alone to me was also an added value since finding that right drawbar setting for a particular sound you are trying for is sometimes challenging.

All that said, I still don't think I would sell either my HX3 nor my Gemini - since they both have their place....but if I were to say which sounds the best - right now, this is it....I'm absolutely blown away!

Congrats Arno on an amazing plugin'!

I do agree with you about having a playable demo...there should be a way to accomplish this... I bet a lot more plugin's would sell if they can pull that off since many people (like yourself) aren't willing to pluck down $100+ if they can't try it out for themselves.

Regards,

-John

Tried it out and the organ sounds good but hating the Leslie. I mean really hating it. I don't wanna buy a vent, burn or plunk down more $ on lrotary. Oh well, my bad for buying it without a demo. Live and learn. Maybe the license is transferable and I can sell it.

Specifically, tremolo barely sounds fast to me...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 05:39 PM

Arno-

Good to see you here. wave

Keep up the good work. twothumbs

cheers

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Thank you sir!

I was afraid of that - those are all positive answers to things I was worried about - that is a very reasonable files size for that much functionality, and the universality is nice to know

But now I'm running now out of excuses smirk

Then don't fight it wink

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Arno-

Good to see you here. wave

Keep up the good work. twothumbs

cheers

I'll do my best wink

Kwyn, i'm sorry you don't like the Leslie. The license is in fact transferable.
About the Tremolo, it simply can't be too fast... that part was sampled, so what you hear is the real sound of the scanner vibrato of a real B-3...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 06:46 PM

Hey Arno smile
Glad to have you back on the KC
I'm in the process of re-building my basic session template, but I've already removed VB3 and put B5 in it's place. cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/16 11:49 PM

Wait Kywn are you talking Tremolo on the Leslie? That is controllable (the speed of both fast and slow Chorale/Tremolo) - theres a little button down in the lower right called "Speaker Prefs":

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
I put it up against my Gemini and my HX3

Do you have the drawbar module for the HX3? Does B5 work with that? (IIRC, it's a little unusual in that, instead of each drawbar sending a different CC, they all send the same CC but on different channels...?)

@AnotherScott: Sorry, I have the DMC-122 w/ the Gemini Module - but my drawbars worked off the bat - I just had to hit the "Invert Drawbars" button (under Advanced Prefs, then click Assign CC's) and change the 8' pedal (it was controlling the 5 1/4' by default)...each has its own CC# - 12-29 and pedals are 33, 34) - but of course this is all configurable in both the DMC as well as the plugin...not sure about the drawbar module however.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/16 06:43 AM

John if you grab the current dpwnload of B-5 you will see there are added options in the CC assign page. There is now a toggle option to allow mapping of controller on/off buttons to, for example, percussion on/off.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/16 10:55 AM

I understand there is no demo version, but is there at least a downloadable manual? In a quick perusal, I could not locate that on the site...
Posted By: slowtraveler

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/16 11:18 AM

...is there at least a downloadable manual?

I found a *very* elementary user guide here:

https://www.acousticsamples.net/index.php?route=product/productmanual&product_id=84

B.
Posted By: Jazzmammal

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/16 08:45 PM

While those Goldings demos are very good and I really liked the percussion in Tight Shoes, there's only one little bit of fast Leslie and no clear C/V in any of them. Maybe do another set of demos featuring those things.

Bob
Posted By: Mike Martin

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/16 06:06 AM

Hey Arno smile
Glad to have you back on the KC
I'm in the process of re-building my basic session template, but I've already removed VB3 and put B5 in it's place. cool

Using PSP for the rotary or what is built in?
Posted By: Al Quinn

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/16 07:37 PM

I just played B5 for about an hour and like it a lot. Although I didn't do a direct comparison it's safe to say that I like it better than Crumar's VB2 for Mac and Apple's Vintage B3 simply because I really enjoyed playing B5 and don't enjoy playing the others. Ahh, it's great to have such a fine B3 plug in! The B3 was the weak link in my Mainstage plugins so perhaps I'll now use the Macbook Pro setup more.

I didn't enjoy playing B5 as much as the Mojo's VB3 but to be fair I would need to do a direct compare using the same keybed and amplification. I'll do this compare the next time I have my Mojo rig setup.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/16 08:30 PM

Quote:
Using PSP for the rotary or what is built in?

I haven't done enough real world testing yet. I don't mind the internal Leslie (other than the roominess that I've already found a solution for), but I like having the control options w/L'otary. I'll see what engineers think this week. Either way, I will still continue to use L'otary on other sounds (which I've been doing a lot lately). I like the tube drive better, and I like how you can set the speed lever to any position in the middle to get a speed that isn't slow or fast. Great on Wurly, and gritty synth patches.
Posted By: Al Quinn

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/16 10:32 AM

I compared B5 to the Mojo (VB3) using the same keybed and amplification. B5 didn't compare very well: the Mojo sounds much warmer and fuller. Having said that I'm still happy I bought B5 as it's a nice addition to my plugins and one that I'll likely use in some situations.
Posted By: Mark Schmieder

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 05:09 AM

Can't remember if I posted here yet or only elsewhere, as I've been super-busy. I bought this last weekend for well under $100; it seemed worth it from the audio demos, and though I haven't recorded it yet or done direct shoot-outs, I have a feeling it's even better than my XK-1c hardware clone.

What caught me right away was how well the tonewheels interact. This is the shortcoming of most clones, whether modeled or sampled. And it's also why I generally find it hard to get good jazz tones (Jon Lord-ish tones are relatively easy to capture).

Looking forward to having time to re-track some of my XK-1c tracks with B-5 to compare, as well as new material, but I'm mostly focused on my jazz album right now and the twelve pieces on this particular album have zero organ (instead, lots of piano, chromatic percussion, and accordion).

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 03:06 PM

Over at V.I. Control in the B-5 thread, Arno just stated that a new update is live (with no version number change) that includes a mic distance parameter for the Leslie:

http://vi-control.net/community/threads/acousticsamples-releases-the-b-5-organ.53343/page-3

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 03:31 PM

FYI Arturia's modeled Hammond B3 finally came out today, as part of the affordable upgrade to the V Collection which also includes other new emulations. Audio Deluxe offers the upgrades.

Not sure if I'll have time to take care of this until next week, due to work. As with the Continental, the Hammond is a rebranding of a well-known free/pay-what-you-want emulation.

As I haven't had time to read the full description yet, that's as much as I can safely say at this point.

It will be interesting to do a three-way shootout between the best current sampled B3, the best modeled one, and the best (until XK-5 is released) hardware clone.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 04:13 PM

Over at V.I. Control in the B-5 thread, Arno just stated that a new update is live (with no version number change) that includes a mic distance parameter for the Leslie:

http://vi-control.net/community/threads/acousticsamples-releases-the-b-5-organ.53343/page-3

I was about to post it, but you beat me to it... wink

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Acoustic Samples

I was about to post it, but you beat me to it... wink

Awesome. Maybe I'll fire this baby up again for another shot. Thanks!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 07:56 PM

Quote:
that includes a mic distance parameter for the Leslie:

Nice addition Arno. Works well and fixes my only issue. cool
I assume you know that when you cursor over this new "Distance" knob, it says "Drum Volume" in the display, but that can wait. smile

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/16 10:56 PM

Hmmm.. I turn the mic distance knob and it's not affecting my sound at all...
Posted By: TWB121234

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 01:26 PM

I do not hear a noticeable difference either. If you turn the knob while playing a sound there are crackles making it hard to tell whether or not anything is changing. Which direction is closer? Anyway, still great fun to play.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TWB121234
I do not hear a noticeable difference either. If you turn the knob while playing a sound there are crackles making it hard to tell whether or not anything is changing. Which direction is closer? Anyway, still great fun to play.

Same exact results. I hear the crackle but definitely no difference in the closeness of the mics.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 02:03 PM

Arno,

Would it be hard to animate the mic's when you turn the knob? Also I didn't notice any difference either.

Thanks,
John

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 02:51 PM

Quote:
I turn the mic distance knob and it's not affecting my sound at all...

Seriously? It was immediately obvious to me. Perhaps you guys are expecting something more dramatic, but to my ears, it sounds just like it does when you move the mikes from a foot away to 3 inches. Well, there are all the other Leslie sims already mentioned that may be more to your liking.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 05:49 PM

Quote:
I turn the mic distance knob and it's not affecting my sound at all...

Seriously? It was immediately obvious to me. Perhaps you guys are expecting something more dramatic, but to my ears, it sounds just like it does when you move the mikes from a foot away to 3 inches. Well, there are all the other Leslie sims already mentioned that may be more to your liking.

I'll try uninstalling and re-installing.

EDIT: Did that. No difference for me frown bummer. When I turn the dial while I'm holding a chord the volume gets louder but then softens after the minute it stops turning. I have no idea what I could possibly be doing wrong, but there is no difference in the mic closeness to the horns that I can discern.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 06:16 PM

Here is what it sounds like. First up is all drawbars out with a little OD. Fast leslie with far mic distance, then you can hear as the volume gets louder as I turn the dial to try to set the mic closer, but the mic distance does not sound any different.

Then I did the same with slow leslie.

https://soundcloud.com/user-316774177/acoustic-samples-mic-distance

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 06:33 PM

Maybe a stereo/ mono issue?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 06:35 PM

It was in stereo

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 08:06 PM

Is it possible the sound wont change in real time while you twist the dial?

What happens if you make a change, lift your fingers and reengage?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Is it possible the sound wont change in real time while you twist the dial?

What happens if you make a change, lift your fingers and reengage?

Yeah. Tried that too. Didn't seem to work. I may use the plug-in every now and then but vb3 2 works for me.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/21/16 12:29 PM

Well, I don't know what's going on in your situation Kwyn. All I can say is, that's not my experience with it.
I'm MPB, DP9 with most recent UVI player and it works great. I assume you've made sure you UVI player is latest update, so beyond that, I don't know what to tell ya.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/21/16 01:33 PM

I updated UVI player. I was one version behind but still no change.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/22/16 07:18 AM

Alright, let me just explain quickly what this does wink
This distance just slowly cuts out the ambience, it does not make a HUGE difference, but if for example you play staccato notes with percussions, you will hear that the trail gets smaller and smaller as you set the value to the minimum. It is very hard to hear the difference only with sustained chords.
The crackling you hear is the IR change when you move the knob and i'm afraid there is no way around that, but it does make a difference, it's just subtle.
There is one thing that might cause you to not hear this, if you reopen the same session as before, it will simply not work as the UVI Workstation preset is being recalled and the new effect is not there, so just create a new session or re-instanciate UVI Workstation or try this in standalone and you should hear it wink

Thanks steve for the report... damn copy paste wink It will be changed in the next version when we also add the sustain pedal control (a few users have been asking for it).

And sorry jmolino... moving the mics would mean redoing many graphic things...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/22/16 07:22 AM

I will probably sound dumb, but, i tried everything to be notified of new posts in this topic... but i never get them... is there something i need to do besides ticking yes in the preferences to be emailed when a change is made?
I could have answered earlier, but i did not see anything new was posted here...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/26/16 09:39 AM

Alright guys, since you (and people from other forums) have been asking for a few features including the possibility to make it more Rock oriented, we just added a few features (there will be a newsletter about it given how many new things have been added since the release).

First, we added the Amp section present in our other libraries, so there is a list of about 10 amps in mono or stereo versions including Fender amps, Rhodes and even Bass amps (and others). The last two demos in our demo list are using amps and not the Leslie.

Second, there is the possibility to use the sustain pedal to actually sustain notes.

And then there are a few other things that some of you might already have in their versions like the toggle rotation speed for the pedal, the possibility to assign on/off buttons from hardware keyboards to percussions buttons, the possibility to de-activate the presets keys, a distance knob to control the amount of "room" present in the Leslie simulation (this one is subtle and you can hear it when playing staccato notes without the reverb engaged), and we made the texts bigger for the non-retina screen users (this has been there for a while, but wasn't in the first release).

OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/26/16 11:57 AM

I will probably sound dumb, but, i tried everything to be notified of new posts in this topic... but i never get them... is there something i need to do besides ticking yes in the preferences to be emailed when a change is made?
I could have answered earlier, but i did not see anything new was posted here...

Hi Arno - Thank you for all the updates! You are kicking A double "S" w/ this Plugin.

Feature Request:
  • CC Mapping "Load" functionality. Please provide some "built in" Mappings like the HX3 does (Please include default DMC-122 midi controller assignments first and perhaps create a way for people to let you know which controllers they need (and this will give you an idea of what types of controllers people are using w/ your plugin)
  • Easy Mapping facility ("Click to assign" feature)
  • Please animate those mics when you change the distance and it will provide visual confirmation you are engaging this feature

Look at the images below to see the things you'll want to make sure are checked, some are in "My Stuff, some in Preferences, some when you "Reply" to a message" - this is what I have and it works.

• From "Reply to Message (or "Create New Post" )
  • *OR* Click the "Topic Options" Link (upper left at top of page) and Check "Add Topic to Your Watched Topics"

Then make sure it's there afterwards:
  • Click the "My Stuff" Button at top and then click "Watched Topics"
  • Tick the "Immediately" button
  • Manage Your "Watched Topics" by clicking the "Watched Topics" in your list (Under My Stuff)

Best Regards,
John

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/26/16 12:18 PM

Ok thanks for the detailed info, i actually did all this... but i received a reply this time, so hopefully i'll get notifications now wink

About the Load functionality, why not, but i'll need help from users that actually own these, looking for that info is usually a nightmare...
The easy mapping is already here, it's called MIDI learn, and you can just right click and move a controller and they are linked.
About the Mic animation, it's not worth it, this would mean many images (and in retina resolution, these are big and use Ram).
At some point, there will be more Irs at different distances and maybe there will be such a feature, but it is probably poing to be for a V2.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/26/16 01:53 PM

Hi Arno -

Glad you are getting notifications finally!

Having a Midi CC load facility would cut down on time to setup the plugin if you offered compatibility "out of the box" - at least for the basics. Some popular controllers would be: Voce' MIDI drawbars, Hamichord (same as Mojo/DMC-122), Hammond XK, Hammond SK,& KeyB Duo. So one would pick a starting point and customize from there. It's just a "user friendliness feature"....

Most info should be available on the web - but, no hurry or worries, I'm fine w/o it but it would be nice.

Thanks again,

John

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/27/16 11:31 PM

Updated again today (ver 1.2).

Cut and paste from email:

Here is a list of new features

1- We added a list of regular amp simulations to use instead of the Rotary Speaker (shown in the image of this email and demonstrated in the last two demos of our website by our friend Scott Yahney).

2- You can now use the sustain pedal to sustain notes like on a piano.

3- We added a distance knob to control the distance of the microphones to the speaker. This allows you to add more or less ambience (it's subtle and neds to be tweaked without the reverb on, but allows for the organ to be very dry).

4- We now offer the ability to disable the preset keys (to avoid playing them by mistake).

The following might already be in the previsous version that did not have a new number.

5- You can use on/off MIDI buttons to change the interface buttons like the percussions for example.

6- You can use the sustain pedal (or any other continuous controller) to toggle the speed of the Leslie everytime you press it (instead of having to leave it pressed).

7- You can now raise the overall volume of drawbars above 1 in the advanced preferences (this avoids changing all drawbars volumes but one).

8- A better support for non-retina displays with increased text size on the main interface.

There are a few other minor fixes and improvements not listed hre so if you don't have the 1.2 yet, you should download it.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/29/16 08:16 AM

Unless I screwed something up I would suggest holding off on installing 1.2 for the moment. Have contacted Arno - waiting for reply.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/30/16 08:42 AM

Just sent you an email Markay, the solution for people that have problems with the 1.2 is to simply load it from scratch, there have been too many changes and when you reload a session, it confuses the script.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 05/30/16 10:00 AM

Got it, thanks Arno, I will delete and redo the patch presets.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 08/01/16 08:22 AM

Just a quick message to tell you that the B-5 (along with all of our other instruments) is on sale wink
... Just in case some of you were interested but were still hesitating wink
Posted By: jjj333

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 12:08 AM

Greetings to you all!
I'm a young pensioner (74) enjoying my Tyros3 and never could afford a Hammond. So, today I bought this B-5 and am quite excited... but now I have to jump from PC to Tyros for every lousy change. There must be a better way? A MIDI compact controller might do the trick? The problem is I don't know a thing about CC MIDI assignment.
Also, this controller might be more expensive than the B-5 module. What's the next best option?
Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice,
Joh from St'go de Chile

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 08:00 AM

Joh the Tyros 3 will send midi to host over USB. So you should be able to control say the B-5 drawbars from the 9 faders on the Tyros, the Leslie fast, stop, slow from the modulation wheel and map whatever else you would like to control.

Whatever you get you will need to get an understanding of midi So why not start with the Tyros you all ready own?
Posted By: Markyboard

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 09:05 AM

So you should be able to control say the B-5 drawbars from the 9 faders on the Tyros, the Leslie fast, stop, slow from the modulation wheel and map whatever else you would like to control.

Good thought Mark but unfortunately I don't see anything in the documentation indicating the 8 faders/sliders transmit midi data. There appears to be 1 "assign" slider for this purpose. Also as you mentioned the mod wheel could be of use in controlling the virtual Leslie speed.

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 09:22 AM

You could well be right Mark, having never owned a Tyros or tried using one as a controller I had a quick look at the specs, saw the USB to Host feature 9 sliders and assumed they, and the other buttons would send midi.

I am used to controllers where it's a given and forget the midi limitations of most 'hardware' boards.

Maybe there is someone who is familiar with the midi transmit features of the Tyros and can help out.
Posted By: analogman1

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 12:20 PM

I'm thinking of picking up B5, do you have any coupons or discounts still going on? Or maybe in the future? Thanks in advance! Tom

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/06/16 12:25 PM

Maybe there is someone who is familiar with the midi transmit features of the Tyros and can help out.

Or we could just arm wrestle over it in a few weeks. snax

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 10/07/16 06:01 AM

You will be so overwhelmed by the sights and scenery that a Tyros will be will be the last thing on your mind. cheers
Posted By: ElmerJFudd

Re: OT: How to Add a "Watched Topic" - 11/24/16 01:15 PM

30% off sale just went up this morning, November 24, 2016.

$76 until Monday the 28th.
Posted By: jjj333

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 12/07/16 04:44 PM

As a young pensioner (74) I at last found the time to enjoy my Tyros3, now bought this B-5 App and the cheap, Chinese "World EasyControl 9" with Editor: http://en.worlde.com.cn/
After hours of trial & error, I figured out that the controller's communication only works, when the B-3 organ App is off or cancelled in B-3 organ App's "MIDI Devices". I know little about assigning CC# and thus, encounter problems:
For instance, when I change the button from CC# 3 to CC#12 , save it and then in "Communication" click "Read Scene Data", then the chosen CC#12 automatically returns to CC#3 and ... so I got nowhere! - How to make it stay in the CC# I have chosen?
Maybe it is not possible to change the CC# to any CC# I like, because only certain CC# are designed for buttons, others for potentiometer knobs and sliders? This might be the reason this "World EasyControl 9" rejects certain CC# changes?
Please kick me in the right direction, for I seem tapping in the dark... Thanking you in advance for your expert advice.
Warm Regards, from Joh in St'go de Chile
Besides, I used to be a whistler-Muso: Here's one of the 1000 pieces to which I used twitter: https://app.box.com/s/8513ykv7bcl8fuoyaw8sfb2snu3275cv

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 12/08/16 07:01 AM

Can you provide some more info.

Are you referring to THIS controller?

Are you using B-5 in UVI Workstation as a standalone app?

Are you using a Windows or Apple device?

I am not sure why you want to change the CC#s sent. B-5 has an assign controllers feature. Click on 'Advanced Presets' then ' Assign controllers', scroll to the item you wish to assign, for example, Upper Drawbar 1 (16'), click on the number to the left and change it to match the CC# of the slider on the controller you wish to assign to the upper manual 16' drawbar.

Repeat for every other control. Save and job done.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 12/17/16 12:05 AM

Hey Guys
Looks like Acousticsamples is having a sale again, and the B5 can be had for whatever 69 Euros is these days (~ 75$?)

https://www.acousticsamples.net/

Really want to buy this, but as a guy in his mid-50's, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

Are the graphics big enough to see on a smaller screen, like a Microsoft Surface? And can you resize the fonts, etc?

Thanks in advance,

An ever-aging roy

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 12/17/16 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: roygbiv
Really want to buy this, but as a guy in his mid-50's, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

right there with you my brother, wearing Costco cheaters as I type this. If I get any more helpful info I'll be sure to let you know. Really wish it was Kontakt based instead of the UVI player as the Pace system is involved. I know. deadhorse

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 12/17/16 04:17 AM

The GUI resizes to full screen on my 15" laptop screen. To my eyes the GUI is legible and fonts are not tiny, compared to say some synths. Can't comment on how it works on a zoomable touch screen like a Surface.

I think there are 4 reasons devs and AS choose to use UVI.

1. I think it was AS that said UVI offers more advanced scripting options than Kontakt.
2. In the case of AS the rotary Sim was developed by UVI.
3. UVI's financial model for devs is better than NI's.
4. The copy protectipn arrangement with Pace is built-in to the UVI player so devs do not have worry about designing it or impementing it themselves. It is easier for them to let Pace clip the ticket each time their VI is authorised.

I have had no issues yet with Pace's software licensor. Yet to see how it works out when I next migrate to a new machine.

Nonetheless if there were similar VI's available and one used Pace and the other had its own authorisation process like say Pianoteq or U-He I would always choose the one that didn't use Pace.
Posted By: iluvchiclets

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/23/17 10:02 PM

A quick question - the B5 program by Acoustic Samples is called a "VSTi". Does that mean it is a VST?

I have only been able to run it in the UVI Workstation player. But, if it was a VST, could I run it in a VST host? I would like to try different VST rotary simulations after B5, but I can't figure out how to.

I am specifically trying to figure out how to use Melda's Vintage Rotary simulation with B5...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 03:59 AM

B-5 has to run in UVI Workstation. UVI is a shell similar to Kontakt. You can 'chain' other VI's inside UVI but they have to be designed to run inside UVI.

To chain unrelated VI's the way you want, B-5 to Melda Rotary, you need to use a Host app like Cantabile for Windows or MainStage for Mac. There is a free version of Cantabile available.

In a host you load UVI, select B-5 then direct the B-5 output to the input of Melda Rotary, and then output or the input of another effect.

In a host you can set up patches that enable you to change seamlessly from say B-5 inside UVI to another instrument running inside Kontakt/Komplete.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 09:09 AM

Thank you for the tips,

I kind of figured that would be how I would run B5 with another VST effect. But I can't see how UVI will run in a host?

I use VSTHost, and I don't see any UVI .dll's that I can open in that host. Unless I am looking in the wrong place?

(**Edit - arrrgh - never mind. I found the UVI .dll! Hidden in many layers of folders...program files/steinberg/vst plugins...)

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 09:35 AM

Haven't used VSTHost but that is a kind of default folder on Windows where most VST's will install. Typically you can set a default folder in a Host which the host will then scan for available VST's.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: iluvchiclets
A quick question - the B5 program by Acoustic Samples is called a "VSTi". Does that mean it is a VST?

The 'i' stands for 'instrument'; it sort of helps to differentiate the virtual instruments from the virtual effects. In your host software you may see separate folders for each which helps to manage these different types.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 11:40 AM

Thanks for your help smile

I want to really give this B5 a good try to see if it's a fit for me. When I first got it, I thought, "Yeah baby!"
Then an hour later, I was, "Hmmm...not sure..."
I would love to find a virtual Hammond that does it all for "my ears". Everyone seems to have certain points they are particular about.

The UVI player host has excellent effects you can add after the B5 VST...I have been using an EQ to make it sound less-muffled, as well as some post-reverb. (Why Hammond VSTs often use reverb before the Leslie always baffles me! NI's vintage Organs, VB3, and this B5...)

The one thing that always stands out when using the B5 program is the Chorus/vibrato on C3. I use that C/V almost exclusively, but I feel like I am hearing some amplitude tremolo as well as the Chorus vibrato...does anyone else hear that?

It sounds off to me.
Posted By: RoadHousePiano

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 12:20 PM

Thanks for your help smile

I want to really give this B5 a good try to see if it's a fit for me. When I first got it, I thought, "Yeah baby!"
Then an hour later, I was, "Hmmm...not sure..."
I would love to find a virtual Hammond that does it all for "my ears". Everyone seems to have certain points they are particular about.

The UVI player host has excellent effects you can add after the B5 VST...I have been using an EQ to make it sound less-muffled, as well as some post-reverb. (Why Hammond VSTs often use reverb before the Leslie always baffles me! NI's vintage Organs, VB3, and this B5...)

The one thing that always stands out when using the B5 program is the Chorus/vibrato on C3. I use that C/V almost exclusively, but I feel like I am hearing some amplitude tremolo as well as the Chorus vibrato...does anyone else hear that?

It sounds off to me.

Muffled is the perfect word! I like B5 but, like you, I find there's something that I just cant put my finger on. I always come back to VB3. Also, I found that B5 taxed my CPU in Mainstage more than VB3. I know a lot of people prefer B5 so I'm always curious to hear other opinions.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 12:52 PM

Last month, Acousticsamples sent an e-mail to various users of B5 asking for MIDI CC data for the controllers we are using with B5. In a resultant e-mail exchange, Arno stated that they are working on an update containing not only improvements to the MIDI CC mapping (including presets for the most popular controllers), but also a "big sonic update." He seemed very excited about the improvements.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 04:46 PM

Cool news, I have both B5 and VB3 so I'd love to use both.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 05:00 PM

Reverb is before leslie because thats how the spring reverb is routed in a real hammond. Its more authentic . If you want post leslie verb thats real easy. Turn of the built in verb and add a reverb vst in the effect chain. In the mix i dont hear an issue . Pre leslie reverb might even cut a little better. Im using vb3 though.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Baldwin Funster
Reverb is before leslie because thats how the spring reverb is routed in a real hammond.

I understand that...but who wants to do that? It sounds plain weird. I think I recall one record where jimmy McGriff (or someone else) was using a Leslie with reverb and it sounded horrible. With the leslie on fast, it sounded like he was underwater! I would be interested to hear if anyone else has used reverb before a Leslie in Hammond recordings. Ethel Grumblinski and the Burlington Mormon choir doesn't count. smile

I'm sure there's some model Hammonds that have spring reverb, but only for using with on-board speakers. (Like L101, M3, A100, etc...)
Anyone using an A100 will have the Leslie running without any reverb going into it.

Please, give us spring reverb models when we want the Hammond without a rotating speaker, and a proper ambient hall/studio/plate after the Leslie when we want some space...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 05:48 PM

Arno stated that they are working on... a "big sonic update."

I wonder if it's going to be a Leslie "tweak"? I don't have a big issue with the B5 Leslie sim, but I read a lot of people aren't thrilled with it.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 06:02 PM

I'm sure there's some model Hammonds that have spring reverb

Yes, and also some Leslies.

If you are trying to build a complete and accurate simulation, the spring reverb effect of course has to come before the in-the-room Leslie effect... it is the only way it could have been done. That's not a judgment on how musically desirable it is or how many people will ever want to use that combination, but for accuracy, it makes sense for it to be there.

Reverb after the Leslie doesn't exist in the real thing except as the actual room reflections from the room the Leslie happened to be in (or whatever effect was added in the studio). And there are plenty of plug-ins for simulating whatever room you'd like to put it in (or whatever studio reverb effect you like). I don't really see great purpose in building room simulations (or studio-style reverbs) into a hammond/leslie emulator. I guess maybe a simple reverb effect for convenience. But a proper external reverb sim is really a whole different animal, with lots of variables of its own.
Posted By: keyman27

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 06:09 PM

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has used reverb before a Leslie in Hammond recordings.

Melting Pot by Booker T & MGs comes to mind...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: keyman27

Melting Pot by Booker T & MGs comes to mind...

Very cool - I will give that a listen to. (I bet there's lots of reverberated Leslie recordings out there that I don't know. I'm probably going to be dragged over the coals now! : crazy

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 06:40 PM

I understand that...but who wants to do that?
Benmont Tench

Anyone using an A100 will have the Leslie running without any reverb going into it.

My A 100 doesn't sent reverb to my 142, only the internal speakers.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 06:44 PM

Here's why you need to have a spring reverb inside the organ.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 01/24/17 07:03 PM

Here's why you need to have a spring reverb inside the organ.

Doesnt work as well with a VSTi. Maybe a controller with an accelerometer like the alesis vortex can be set up for that.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/15/17 08:36 AM

I see VST Buzz Deals has sent me an email this morning saying B5 Organ is 50% off for a limited time...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/16/17 12:19 PM

I see VST Buzz Deals has sent me an email this morning saying B5 Organ is 50% off for a limited time...

Couldn't resist at that price.
Posted By: TomKittel

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/17/17 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Martin

Couldn't resist at that price.

I also couldn't resist. But it turned out to be the worst customer experience I ever made when buying a software product. I had to register to THREE websites (!): ilok.com, vstbuzz.com and acousticsamples.net. Therefore I had to create three user ids and three passwords, followed by three downloads and a ton of installations and PC restarts: UVI, ilok and the B5 samples. And in the end after I went trough all of that, the acousticsamples.net site didn't accept my authorization code saying that another user already authorized the product. No support link, no sorry, no contact or anything. What a ridiculously awkward procedure to just install a VST instrument! I know one thing for sure: never again will I buy anything from them. Nightmare!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/18/17 12:37 AM

Well you haven't purchased much in the way of VI's recently. If that is your worst customer experience you have lead a very sheltered life.

Setting up account with an internet vendor like Buzz is mandatory and it is where you have a permanent record of your purchases and your serials.

An account with the VI manufacturer also creates a permanent record of your serials and where you go to get updates as they are released.

ILok soft authorisation is a third party managed anti-piracy measure. Using it means the VI manufacturer doesn't have invest their own time in building a robust authentication system. Learn to love it cause more and more vendors are using it. For example Sound Radix moved to iLok from V2 of 32 Lives.

The Buzz stuff up with serial may be a doubling up of the same serial or the fact that Buzz's backend hasn't had chat with AS's backend yet to let it know that serial has been sold. Some licences I have bought have taken up to 24 hours from purchase to be activated.

My experience with 5 of the major VI retailers like Buzz in terms of response times and support has been, without exception, excellent.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/18/17 01:20 AM

Tom -
Although I agree with Mark in principal I personally won't use any software that requires and iLok account and there are many like me. Not trying to deadhorse here, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/18/17 04:03 AM

I am by no means a fan of iLok and refuse to use a dongle. But since the release of the software based license manager coupled with the requirement that you need it to run even free UVI stuff I have reluctantly accepted it is now part of my life.

Plus what you do when something worth $99 like 32 Lives requires you to use iLok to get the free upgrade to V2? Stick to your principles and walk away or suck it up and get on with life.

I have 38 VI's authorised in my iLok account and so far it has been glitch free.

But I am about to upgrade SSD's and trust the iLok Licence manager does not spit the dummy when booted from the new drives. If it does I will be singing from a different song sheet.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 02/28/17 08:46 PM

{deleted}

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/17 12:34 PM

Acousticsamples B-5 V2 demo videos are up!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/17 07:40 PM

Quote:

I've started hinting in the "Ultimate Leslie Plug-in" thread, but nobody even bit gofish

It's awesome! cool Arno's got the tone right, and the Leslie sim kills.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/17 09:34 PM

Quote:

I've started hinting in the "Ultimate Leslie Plug-in" thread, but nobody even bit gofish

It's awesome! cool Arno's got the tone right, and the Leslie sim kills.

I saw those posts, and I thought that was what you meant. The demos sound badass, and it is a free upgrade to boot! Downloading tonight - can't wait!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/17 10:31 PM

Quote:
Downloading tonight - can't wait!

I'm still playing the last Beta. Won't get to DL the official release until tomorrow. Hope some of my presets made it to the finish line. smile
Posted By: DaBous

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/10/17 11:57 PM

So I just downloaded the upgrade. ( free for version 1 owners )

Frankly - I thought version 1 was just ok.

However, the new version is a big improvement IMHO. Been playing it for an hour and it sounds great. With some tweaking I was able to get a nice gritty rock / blues sound. Leslie sim is a huge improvement. Nice job.

Will try it in a band context this weekend.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 12:10 AM

Quote:
get a nice gritty rock / blues sound

I did some gritty presets. If they're there (and haven't been renamed), they will begin with the letters SN.
Posted By: Jim Alfredson

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 02:35 AM

I did some presets, too with the prefix JA. smile

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:02 AM

Has anyone actually used this with an XK-3C as a controller? I see they mention the XK series as being compatible but I am still interested in any real experience - good or bad. Thanks.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:36 AM

B-5 V2 requires the latest version of UVI Workstation - 2.6.10, don't forget to download it first facepalm

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
Has anyone actually used this with an XK-3C as a controller? I see they mention the XK series as being compatible but I am still interested in any real experience - good or bad. Thanks.

No but the XK is listed under 'Mapping Options', as is the Crumar Mojo for those looking to upgrade their tone grin

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:52 AM

Don't worry Jim and Steve, all of your presets are in there! Thanks again for these btw wink
And yes, we just sent the newsletter that explains you need the latest version of UVI Workstation.
And about the XK series, the support is limited to the drawbars and a few other things, most MIDI messages for the XK are sent using non registered MIDI parameters that are for now not supported in UVI. We will update that when it's available, but for the time being, all manuals and the drawbars are a pretty good start (especially given the weird MIDI data they send...) wink

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:52 AM

Btw, i believe Jim has an XK, as he thanked me for the mapping.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 10:01 AM

Thank you for the quick response. I am all to familiar with and frustrated with the weird midi implementation of the XK-3C. I found the HX-3 I borrowed recently to be the first product that fully maps the XK-3C . I hope you guys can do the same in the near future as your version 2 sounds wonderful.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 10:04 AM

Hi Arno browsed the presets, and there are lot there, but didn't see any with SN or JA. What is the naming of their presets?

Cheers

Mark

And BTW the previous version is not overwritten so it is easy to AB V1 and V2.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 10:06 AM

The presets that Jim and Steve made are the "general presets", those that include all settings, not just the drawbars.
To see them, just open the presets panel and look for the dropdown menu to the right.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 11:32 AM

Thanks Arno sweet, well done Steve and Jim. There is a lot packed into this update, time to RTM.
Posted By: M_G

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 11:42 AM

What do the Clonewheel experts think ?

Is this B5 V2 on par with the latest hardware clones (Mojo, KeyB, XK5, HX3) and leslie sims (Vent, Burn) ?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 12:34 PM

Great to read accodales regarding the update. I have a C2D and am eager to try it out as a controller. Thanks, Arno!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 12:37 PM

The C2D will work perfectly wink and is 100% compatible, the demos were made with it (just select the nord C1/C2 mapping).
There is just one thing that's too bad with it, it only outputs velocity 100, no matter how you press the keys. And i'm afraid the key click depends a lot on the input velocity...
Posted By: Jim Alfredson

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Markyboard

Not yet. I was using my XK1c, which seems to have a different MIDI implementation than the XK3/XK3c since it worked automatically with B5 except having to reverse the MIDI for the drawbars.

I really like the sound of the B5. Lots of editing features, too. But out of the box it has a nice, wooly, gritty sound with good, thunk-y percussion. I'm going to dig more into it and make some demos.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/11/17 09:24 PM

JA. Those are some mighty fine presets my friend cool
2 of mine don't work here (reg/wed & Hodges/Green).
Guess I'll re-send them to Arnaud, unless they're working for everybody but me.
Green/Hodges should look like 008002024 with a 122-mono drum mike and 2 tops close in at the corners. Just slightly cleaner than JA's "Love & Happiness" but we were both aimed in the same direction love

Reg/Wed is 1383226254 w/122 2 drum mikes but not too wide and 2 top mikes pulled wide and out some.

Neither one loads when I select it frown
Posted By: Lee T

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/17 03:38 AM

Great update, and kudos to Acousticsamples for giving it for free for version one owners. I had been running B5 V1 through my mini vent but will try it through the onboard sim this weekend on a relatively Hammond light gig.
Setting things up on headphones or smaller studio monitors sometimes leads me astray as to what it will sound like in a room through a PA, but up to now I'm liking the new Leslie sim. As Jim points out, there is a lot of room for customisation within both the Hammond and Leslie settings and the midi implementation seems to have been improved a lot.
Steve, those presets do not appear to be loading.
Posted By: dgroffb3

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/17 09:09 AM

Hi Arno- Great update- will use it in a band setting next week.
I dont seem to be able to use a midi cc to vary the click setting. Whenever i
try- it crashes B5. Using the latest version of UVI. I have tried various cc's
and tried standalone and within mainstage.

thanks
Doug

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/17 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dgroffb3
Hi Arno- Great update- will use it in a band setting next week.
I dont seem to be able to use a midi cc to vary the click setting. Whenever i
try- it crashes B5. Using the latest version of UVI. I have tried various cc's
and tried standalone and within mainstage.

Thanks wink i'm glad you like it wink

Regarding the key click, that's odd... i just tried it here and it works just fine... Anybody else is having this issue?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/17 06:31 PM

Bought it yesterday and it's growing on me.
Really nice organic sound that captures that vintage Hammond vibe.
It does sound different than my Numa and HX3.
Good !!! Because i like different flavours for different purposes.
Althaugh it does seem odd to have such different end results with different approaches to mimmick a vintage Hammond B3, not withstanding that real Hammonds have their own sound of course....
The new leslie sim is so much better than what was present in the original B5, althaugh the ventilator is still the best leslie sim out there.

But i really like the complete package, no complaints what soever, will serve me for a long time !!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/12/17 10:00 PM

Arno, thanks for checking the key click cc for me. i will ttry to reinstal and see if it makes a difference. I won't be able to try until late Sunday or Monday. Spending a little time at the beach for. the weekend.

doug

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/14/17 10:51 PM

Hello Arno- I tried re downloading and reinstalling both the latest UVI workstation and B-5 v2. Here is what i have found so far.
I am using a novation Impulse 49 with cc# settings that match the default set
of B-5 v2. In the standalone version of b-5 i can control drawbars-percussion
reverb distortion etc. --But when i Move the control assigned to key click-
I get a red box around the gui and the program freezes. This even happens
when i try the midi learn function- as soon as i move the control to learn click
volume- the program freezes.
Now for the interesting part :)- When i use it in mainstage i am able to "Map
a Mainstage controller to the click volume by clicking on the click volume knob in the gui (standard mainstage mapping procedure) I get the red box
and the program freezes but when i reload b-5 everything works as it should.

I only use this in Mainstage so far anyway- so - so far so good.
I am using a 2012 quad 7 mac mini - 16 gig of ram - ssd- latest version of
osx Sierra. Latest version of UVI.
Really love this program- key click is not a deal breaker- but just wanted you
to know what i've found.
I quess if no one else can reproduce this -it must be on my end, but not sure
what else to do.
Thanks in advance

Doug
Posted By: dougb415

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 12:36 AM

Reg/Wed is 1383226254 w/122 2 drum mikes but not too wide and 2 top mikes pulled wide and out some.

Neither one loads when I select it frown

I can second that. No change for either of those two.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 10:57 AM

@Doug It's fixed, was a dumb mistake wink
This fix also contains a minor mapping issue with the Mojo Leslie break.
Posted By: Music*aL

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 01:30 PM

I am reading about B-5 being used in MS3. Can someone enlighten me as to how that's accomplished?

Thanks,

aL

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 05:15 PM

Open a new instrument strip, right click, select UVI Workstation.
Then click on UVI in the channel strip and in UVI select B-5.
Posted By: keyman27

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 05:16 PM

aL,
You choose 'UVI Workstation' for the input on an instrument track. Just like you would choose any virtual instrument. Once UVIWorkstation is there, you click right in the middle of the label to open up the UVI interface. Then you can load up the B-5.
It works for me using MS3 on my Macbook Air from 2013 (just barely - CPU is maxed but no clicks/pops).

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 05:19 PM

I keep getting confused by the topic title and forget to open it. Was it called "B-0" when it first came out? I can't remember.

I was a bit annoyed that I had to update UVI Workstation to use the update, but that there isn't an update for Falcon yet that is compatible, as I prefer to exclusively use Falcon now vs. UVI Workstation or MOTU MachFive v3 (which I bought first).

This update is a HUGE improvement, but I haven't compared to my XK-1c yet as I prefer a waterfall semi-weighted keybed when doing organ parts and having everything be self-contained. But I might re-track some older stuff and compare.

I didn't like the presets though, and they seemed same-same in spite of their names indicating extreme differences. I may have done something wrong and not actually successfully selected the presets, whether for upper or lower manual.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I keep getting confused by the topic title and forget to open it. Was it called "B-0" when it first came out? I can't remember.

Yes - for about 10 minutes until AS realized the negative connotation!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 06:03 PM

Thanks Gents. I'm a mainstage noob!!

aL

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder

I didn't like the presets though, and they seemed same-same in spite of their names indicating extreme differences. I may have done something wrong and not actually successfully selected the presets, whether for upper or lower manual.

I have experienced the same issues !
Only the drawbars seem to change when selecting new presets, percussion, vibrato , organ and leslie model settings remain the same,..... i don't think this could be intentional.

Having said that, i like it very much, it sounds absolutely stunning !!!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 06:58 PM

See Arno's post on the previous page re selecting presets which alter all settings, not just drawbars.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/15/17 10:53 PM

Quote:
See Arno's post on the previous page re selecting presets which alter all settings, not just drawbars.

Yeah, you open the Presets panel and then you can load them from the right. I can attest that all of mine (except the 2 I need to resubmit to Arno), load not just drawbars, but leslie settings, tube distortion, Cho/Vib, mechanical noise etc. It all loads properly. This thing is smokin' cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 01:06 AM

Arno- thanks sooo much for the update. All cc #'s are working as they should. Key click now works with midi learn.
That was one FAST update smile
I love this program- can't wait to use it this weekend!!
Thanks again

Doug

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 04:52 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you open the Presets panel and then you can load them from the right. I can attest that all of mine (except the 2 I need to resubmit to Arno), load not just drawbars, but leslie settings, tube distortion, Cho/Vib, mechanical noise etc. It all loads properly. This thing is smokin' cool

thank you, should have read the previous page more properly blush

I am digging this more and more too...it's superb !!
How do you think it compares with the top hardware equivalents ?
Posted By: Osterhazy

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 08:50 AM

Hi Arnaud,

I am much impressed with the new V2 version of the B5 library. The new version now definitely beats GSI's VB3 which still had the edge. The organ itself is much more detailed and capable of much more tones - from Jazz to ballsy Prog Rock - then the VB3 and the new Leslie is a miracle - absolutely the best available at this moment. Especially the 122a model is very, very realistic.
Because the Leslie is so great, I wonder if it might be possible to make it available as a separate VST effect - so without the organ. I would love to be able to run the organ into a distortion effect like so many great players from the seventies used to do, and then place the Leslie afterwards.
I can recreated this sound now only using the MeldaProductions Vintage Rotary effect which was the best VST Leslie up to now. It would be so great if one could use the new Leslie you and UVI developed instead... Could you work something out with UVI?
All the best and thanks for a great - and free! - update.

Roland

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 11:20 AM

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
About the Leslie, no, sorry, you can't use it out of the B-5 instrument. That being said, the B-5 Leslie is based on UVI's Rotary: https://www.uvi.net/rotary.html
There are just a few differences, the biggest one is the impulse responses are ours on the B-5 and they used different ones in the plugin.
Posted By: DaBous

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 11:28 AM

Gig tested last weekend.

With my church band I use my laptop as primary sound source. They have a Roland RD700GX there which makes a good midi controller so I only need to bring my laptop.

Good timing since 2 of the songs we did last Sunday were heavy B3. I really liked it and it will replace my previous VB3 / Melda leslie combo.

The leslie 122A and 1969 C3 were my favorite combination. This is the first B3 clone vst I have enjoyed playing. Nice work.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 01:07 PM

Hi Arnaud,

I already feared it would not be easy to have a stand alone version of the B5 Leslie. I had guessed that it borrowed from UVI's rotary and that this could complicate things. If the biggest difference is your impulse responses, there is only the possibility that UVI updates it's Rotary plug in with your impulses tot the standards set with the B5 leslie. The B5 leslie is much better then UVI's Rotary which is also inferior to MeldaProductions Vintage Rotary and the leslie used by GSI in their VB3. I have tried the demo of the UVI rotary and it sucks.

Would you want to make a deal with UVI about your impulses and if so is there a possibility UVI would want to upgrade their Rotary to the leslie of the B5? I would buy a stand alone version which is as good as the B5 Leslie just to be able to get close to Dave Sinclair beautiful distorted Hammond sounds - listen to Caravans "In the land of Grey and Pink" and you 'll want this too...

Thanks for your answer and hoping that there might be an opening along the lines I sketched...

All the best!

P.S. I agree with DaBous. The leslie 122A and the 1969 C3 are my favorites too.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 01:23 PM

I really don't think it will be possible, we worked together and they decided to use their own IRs, so it really was a choice.
That being said, i only mentioned the IRs, but that's not all that was changed from their version, we tweaked it for hours to make it sound like our 122, and i'm afraid how we tweaked it has to stay a secret wink

Oh and yeah, i agree, i like the 122A the most, it's actually our 122 model and the one that was used in the comparison video.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/16/17 02:17 PM

They made the wrong choice at UVI's... wink Too bad it can't be different, but sadly things don't always work out as well as the could..

I can live with using MeldaProduction's Vintage Rotary as stand alone leslie if I want a wah or a distortion effect between the organ and the leslie.

Thanks for your answers and good luck with acoustic samples!
Posted By: TomKittel

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Osterhazy

I can live with using MeldaProduction's Vintage Rotary as stand alone leslie if I want a wah or a distortion effect between the organ and the leslie.

To me MVintage Rotary sounds much better than the B5 Leslie anyway. The B5/MVintage rotary combo is killer. There seems to be a bug BTW: even if the B5 Leslie is switched off, the B5 slow/fast switch still produces a light Tremolo effect.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: TomKittel

To me MVintage Rotary sounds much better than the B5 Leslie anyway. The B5/MVintage rotary combo is killer. There seems to be a bug BTW: even if the B5 Leslie is switched off, the B5 slow/fast switch still produces a light Tremolo effect.

If you hear that light tremolo effect, then you are talking about the B-5 Version 1 wink The version 2 is completely different, especially the Leslie.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TomKittel

If you hear that light tremolo effect, then you are talking about the B-5 Version 1 wink The version 2 is completely different, especially the Leslie.

Can you explain what the differences are between normal and high leslie mode ?
Is the 'high mode' more cpu intensive for an even better result ?

That said, thank you for such an outstanding plug in.
I am all over the moon with this superb Hammond emulation, this is such a purchase that does not leave me wanting for anything but to play it !!!

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 04:24 PM

The difference is very subtle (you need to listen to it using headphones and with the saturation and reverb to hear it), but it's there.
In high quality mode, this basically increases the order of the equation responsible for the reflections inside the Leslie.
This makes the Leslie sound a little wider and makes the sound a bit more immersive.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 05:31 PM

I've only had a few minutes for it but the update sounds very good. Highly recommended.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/17/17 09:15 PM

Quote:
Highly recommended.

If I can trust Google Translate (which I can't laugh) :
Cette chose est Coups de pied le cul cool

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 04:49 AM

No you really can't wink Maybe try "ce truc c'est de la balle!" (literally "this thing is the ball")

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 02:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe try "ce truc c'est de la balle!" (literally "this thing is the ball")

Well, I was aiming for "This thing kicks ass", but I guess there is no easy way to say that in French laugh
Posted By: Geoff Grace

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 02:59 PM

You could always fall back on the tried and true, "c'est magnifique." wink

Best,

Geoff
Posted By: linwood

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 03:19 PM

Great update Acoustic Samples!
Posted By: Bill W

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 03:41 PM

Yeah, I finally broke down and bought this...sounds too good to pass up. I have installed it, but haven't played a note yet.
Posted By: LX88

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/18/17 11:56 PM

Wow... it used to be the B-O.... that's just about as good as HOAX.

Attempt at humor aside... there's a lot of buzz about it. I hope I can check it out.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/19/17 10:38 AM

Is anyone else having trouble mapping the drawbars to their onscreen controls in either Gigperfomer or Mainstage?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/20/17 06:40 AM

Yeah, I was using the other way of loading presets, which only changes drawbars. I missed the previous page of this post due to ignoring it on account of the topic title not seeming relevant to me. Thanks for clearing up that it WAS briefly called "B-0" -- I thought someone had simply revived a zombie thread for a dead product.

Tonight I bought UVI Rotary finally, as I stupidly forgot to apply a soon-to-expire credit when doing another super-late-night purchase the night before for the iZotope RX6 Advanced update. I already own PSP L'otary, but my impression so far is that this one is a bit better for organ while PSP's is perhaps better for guitar.

It will be interesting to compare the UVI impulses to the ones used in the B-5 update. No energy for that; I'm only still up because the VSL Synchron Percussion download and install is requiring frequent intervention due to its size.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/22/17 05:32 PM

The C2D will work perfectly wink and is 100% compatible, the demos were made with it (just select the nord C1/C2 mapping)...

When I select the Nord Stage midi template, nothing happens and the program does not respond to midi input (other than note on messages) unless I midi map each controller. This makes it a bit cumbersome since I have to midi map every instance of B-5 in each existing Digital Performer project. For new DP projects, I can create a template and work around it that way...

Am I doing something wrong?

aL

PS. I am really enjoying B-5 V2!!!
Posted By: Mighty Ferguson

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/23/17 05:08 PM

I just want to chime in on this thread to thank Acoustic Samples for making this update free. I wish all vendors were as good to their customers. It sounds killer. I love the Jim Alfredson and Steve Nathan presets as well, great job all around.
Posted By: bg

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/24/17 11:14 AM

What do you grizzled vets think about the B5 scanner vibrato? I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

And sorry for the dumb question, but is there a trial demo version available?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/24/17 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: bg
What do you grizzled vets think about the B5 scanner vibrato? I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

Each model has its own scanner vibrato, and it sounds authentic for sure because it's sampled, so it's the real thing wink

And no, sorry, there is no demo for it, just like for every sample based instrument products on the market.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/24/17 11:22 AM

Btw, for the people asking about Falcon's compatibility, UVI just released the 1.3 today and the B-5 V2 now works in it wink

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/24/17 04:19 PM

Yep, looking forward to doing that update when I get home tonight. They probably needed more testing time for Falcon than for UVI Workstation. I'd be surprised if UVI actually did the work itself earlier for the freebie than the not-free product. :-)

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/25/17 09:59 AM

Each model has its own scanner vibrato, and it sounds authentic for sure because it's sampled, so it's the real thing wink

And no, sorry, there is no demo for it, just like for every sample based instrument products on the market.

Ok, could you point me to an example of what I was asking about? I do hear several examples of what sounds like scanner Vibrato (the "V" settings), but not scanner Chorus. Thanks.
Posted By: Bill W

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/25/17 10:36 AM

I've noticed that when slowly triggering a note, there is one brief, higher-pitched tone played prior to the sound of all of the drawbars. It's not percussion...it just sounds like one of the higher drawbars is being triggered prior to the others. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but it doesn't sound correct to me.
Posted By: Mighty Ferguson

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/25/17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill W
I've noticed that when slowly triggering a note, there is one brief, higher-pitched tone played prior to the sound of all of the drawbars. It's not percussion...it just sounds like one of the higher drawbars is being triggered prior to the others. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but it doesn't sound correct to me.

I'm sure Acoustic Samples will respond, but I took that as the simulated key multi-contact system that a real tonewheel/drawbar organ has.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/25/17 05:10 PM

Quote:
I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

I too struggled to find this fundamental Hammond setting, and was unable to find a sound example of it! I bought B-5 regardless.

There is a lot of fun to be had with this simulation! I prefer a "brighter" sounding organ, and there are EQ tweaks avail in the speaker EQ section.

I think the Chorus/Vibrato "3" played without Leslie is fantastic...there is virtually nothing that separates it the real Hammonds I have known. When played through the Leslie simulation, it sounds a bit different to me. I get the impression there is possibly some amplitude vibrato as opposed to only pitch vibrato? Also, on a couple of chords I have played, there is the impression there is trilling going on. That is to say, possibly one note is at a different point in the vibrato C/V circuit?

Not sure if I am imagining it, and I have not exhausted all the different Rotary Cab simulations yet. There is a lot included!

C/V is the most important part of the Hammond sound for me, so I have to admit I am hard to please and, perhaps, overly focused on this point. All in all, very pleased with the purchase, and even more so with the update. It addresses some very key points.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/26/17 01:15 PM

ILC, your post is very helpful. Thank you. Since scanner C-3 sounds good without Leslie sim, maybe a different Leslie plugin would fix the slight phasing you're hearing with the B-5 Leslie sim. So cool that you're focused on C-3 chorus too. Minds in the same gutter...

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/27/17 10:40 AM

Ok, could you point me to an example of what I was asking about? I do hear several examples of what sounds like scanner Vibrato (the "V" settings), but not scanner Chorus. Thanks.

I just created a quick mp3 of one note first normal then following the sequence: C1 V2 C2 V3 C3 and V1, then the same exact thing with a chord.
Vibrato test

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/27/17 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Bill W

As Mighty Ferguson pointed out, this is a simulation of the key contacts. On a real organ, the quicker you press a key, the quicker all contacts are made (there are 9 under each key). But if you play very softly, you can actually get all frequencies to play one by one as each contact is made. We modeled that with velocity, so it's not entirely correct as velocity does not equal speed of key struck, but it's a good approximation.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 05/27/17 05:34 PM

...this is a simulation of the key contacts.

Very cool! I had not yet played the B-5 softly but, now that I did, you can hear the initial different contact. For those who have played a real Hammond, you will know what it is!
Posted By: dougb415

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 06/03/17 10:50 PM

Is there any way to turn off pitch bend recognition in the standalone version? My Impulse 61 is throwing out random pitch change info, even tho I've disconnected the pitch change wheel. I need a new controller, but right now this one works okay *IF* I can turn off pitch wheel recognition.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/04/17 10:49 AM

AcousticSamples has posted a new version of B-5 that is a bit easier on the CPU. The file is dated in late June.

I have been tracking organ parts at home in Cubase and rehearsing/performing with B-5 over the last few weeks, and it sounds/feels fantastic! I have been controlling it with both a Hamichord M-C3 and a Numa Organ 2. The preset MIDI maps for these controllers do require a bit of tweaking, but they are an excellent starting point. All of my presets use the C3 model that everyone seems to prefer, coupled with the 122B Leslie model on High quality.
Posted By: ElmerJFudd

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/04/17 11:38 AM

What's your CPU/RAM and HD or SSD?
How low are you able to put the buffer and have it run reliably?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/04/17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
What's your CPU/RAM and HD or SSD?
How low are you able to put the buffer and have it run reliably?

I'm on Win10 on a Dell laptop from 2012 - i7, 32GB RAM, and Intel SSD. I can run in Cantabile at 64 samples on my UR-44 with no issues. In Cubase, I usually bump up to 96 or 128 because I have other tracks running simultaneously.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/04/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RoadHousePiano
Is anyone else having trouble mapping the drawbars to their onscreen controls in either Gigperfomer or Mainstage?

Mainstage for sure.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/05/17 05:06 AM

I don't have any issues mapping B-5 V2 in MainStage 3.3.

What issues are you experiencing?

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/05/17 11:49 AM

Me either.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/05/17 11:54 AM

Me either.

I'm a PC guy with no Mac/Mainstage experience, but is there a reason not to use the MIDI mapping within B-5 / UVI Workstation? It works great for me.
Posted By: 4front

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 12:39 AM

AcousticSamples has posted a new version of B-5 that is a bit easier on the CPU. The file is dated in late June.

I have been tracking organ parts at home in Cubase and rehearsing/performing with B-5 over the last few weeks, and it sounds/feels fantastic! I have been controlling it with both a Hamichord M-C3 and a Numa Organ 2. The preset MIDI maps for these controllers do require a bit of tweaking, but they are an excellent starting point. All of my presets use the C3 model that everyone seems to prefer, coupled with the 122B Leslie model on High quality.

I had no idea there was an update till I read this. Is there any information on what was updated. I also like the C3 but I use the LOG rotary, whatever that is. Very impressed with the version 2. Thought I would never turn away from VB3, but think this one will do it.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 08:28 AM

Me either.

I'm a PC guy with no Mac/Mainstage experience, but is there a reason not to use the MIDI mapping within B-5 / UVI Workstation? It works great for me.

No reason whatsoever if you are running UVI Workstation as a stand alone or in a host in Windows.

The work flow in MainStage is a little different in that you map your controller in the Workplace in MainStage, which gives an onscreen visualization of your controller, and then map these screen controls to each VI, like B-5,in MainStage.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 08:35 AM

OK I spoke too soon re midi mapping. I am able to map faders and rotary controllers but not on-off buttons, which map to both VB3 and Vintage B3 OK.

Just logged in to my account and notice that the latest version of B-5 V2 is dated 3rd July 2017. Downloading now, will I install and see if that fixes the button mapping issue.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 10:17 AM

It will not fix anything regarding the mapping, but you might not be mapping it correctly.
Given the variety of Organ controllers, we have created a pretty complicated MIDI mapping system, so it's better to use it.
I don't know how Mainstage works, but i'm sure it lets MIDI CC through, so as long as the B-5 receives the CCs, you can use the MIDI panel and skip the Mainstage stuff.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 10:40 AM

Thanks Arno, I got it to work, it is little more convoluted process for button controls than other VI's. The 'midi learn' feature in B-5 does not work for these controls, for example CC 101 or button 6 on my M Audio Axiom 2nd gen attempting to map to 'percussion on off'.

The way to get it to work in MainStage is to activate 'assign and map' in MainStage, then depress the button to be mapped on the controller - CC 101 in this case, and then click on the percussion 'on off' in B-5. Then deactivate 'Assign and Map' in MainStage.

I just checked and the midi learn feature in B-5 does work for rotary encoders and faders, for example rotary encoder CC75 to tube distortion.

I would recommend you test B-5 with MainStage, it is only $29 and is the host of choice for live performance on Mac's.

Using MS 3.3, B-5 v2.0.2

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 10:44 AM

Don't use the MIDI learn with the right click on a button, just use the MIDI panel and set the MIDI ccs there and it will all work fine, just find the element you want to map, then select it in the list, hit the midi learn button and move your CC (you can also set the value manually if you know it).

I'll check mainstage (i have it) but never tried the MIDI assignments in it.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 10:56 AM

That was the first way I attempted to map it!! BTW I was referring above to the 'midi learn' button in 'midi prefs' not the right click 'automation' feature on the main screen.

Check out MainStage, the Workplace and screen controls, it is a much more powerful and different approach to other hosts and all midi is passed through to the VI's in each patch by default. Or not if the user so chooses, but that is not the case here.

Make sure you have MS 3.3 running on the latest version of Sierra, massive improvement in memory usage and you do not want to waste time chasing down clicks and pops that may occur with earlier versions. smile

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 11:30 AM

I just tested it, and in the Assignment & Mappings page, when going over any of the "channel 1" element, i was able to select MIDI thru -> Axiom 49 and then all MIDI CC values were sent to the plugin and i was able to map everything, including the buttons using the MIDI panel of the B-5.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 12:02 PM

Well that confirms what I found, using MainStage's 'Assign and Map' function works for all Axiom controls with B-5.

So I guess if anyone has issues in MainStage using the midi learn or assignment features inside B-5 the simplest way to overcome these is to use the MainStage sequence suggested in my post above.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 12:37 PM

Yep wink All you need is to allow the B-5 to receive all MIDI CCs, otherwise mapping is just not possible and by default Mainstage does not allow it.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/07/17 08:57 PM

There must be something different in the way you and I have MainStage set up. By default the Concerts I use in MainStage pass midi through to all VI's, including UVI Workstation > B-5.

As noted above B-5 was working as intended with faders and rotary encoders, the only issue was with each of the buttons. And the buttons mapped to the other VI's in that Concert, also noted above, which wouldn't be the case if if midi pass through was blocked by MainStage.

The only other difference in our respective setups could be in UVI Workstation which has also been updated to 2.6.11, whereas I am on 2.6.10.

It would be good if UVI and AS could send an email to registered users letting users know a new version is available rather than relying on users to check this themselves from time to time.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/08/17 05:13 AM

Downloaded and installed UVI Workstation v2.6.11, now buttons map instantly using the 'midi learn' feature in B-5.

All good now.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/08/17 06:49 AM

That's odd... 2.6.11 should really not make a difference... But if it works, that's cool wink
About the new version, we did not advertise it as it's still some kind of a test version to help some users on the Gearslutz forum, it looks like it works, but we're waiting for more testing to make it official. I'm sure you don't want to get notified everytime there is a very small fix that does not affect most systems, but only important ones.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/08/17 07:18 AM

Yeah read the GS thread Arno.

B-5 is on the CPU intensive side but does not in my experience have any of effects discussed in that thread. I figured high CPU use was to be expected when running sample streaming and a highly detailed modelled Rotary simultaneously. I will test later and see if 2.0.2 seems any more CPU friendly in my setup.

But then again 128 samples is fine for live use for me.

All is well that ends well - the world's best B3 VI is back to being 100% glitch free.

Cheers

Mark

Posted By: mobi

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/08/17 09:24 AM

B-5 is on the CPU intensive side

Just downloaded latest upgrade (thanks to this thread), a little better but still too CPU intensive to use low latency as I'm used to do while recording, I still use VB3 just because it's easier on CPU even with 32 Lives.

Re: Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation - 07/22/17 09:52 PM

Just set the UVI and B5 in Bidule to test it out.
Very pleased with its sound quality.
Attached controllers everywhere I needed and now have a better sounding Hammond for gigs where I can't drag along my usual hardware.

Really nice job on V2.
Going to test it out on Array in hopes it doesn't thin out like VSTis tend to do.

Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 11/03/17 03:41 PM

I found the following message from Acoustic Samples in my inbox this morning:

The B-5 v2.2 is out!

We just released the Version 2.2 of the B-5 Organ, it has a few new features and optimizations that are listed below. If you already own it, the steps to get it are explained at the bottom of this email.

CPU optimization
When we released the version 2, the CPU took a hit because of the very detailed features we added (Leslie, tube saturation, loudness robbing, voltage stealing, etc...) These features are still here but we optimized every bit of them as much as we could and it is now even more efficient than the V1.

A new swell pedal model
We knew from the start that the swell pedal wasn't just a volume change, but our model was just a little off. So we went back and recorded a few things and now have a very precise behaviour that allows for the bass to stick even if the pedal is all the way down just like on real organs.

More precise Clicks
We changed the way the voices are handled which allows us to be much more precise in how the clicks are triggered and they are now more in sync with the tonewheel voices.

More precise Percussion
For the same reason as for the clicks, the percussions are now also more precise resulting in an overall more responsive instrument.

Hammond SK and XK support
Thanks to the guys at UVI, we are now able to support the RPN and NRPN MIDI messages sent by the hammond XK and SK series. We asked a few of our users to help send some MIDI data and with their precious help (thanks again guys btw), we were able to pre-map all of these models. They can now be used without the use of third party MIDI softwares and everything will work straight out of the box (using the corresponding preset in the MIDI preferences).

A refined Pedalboard simulation
The pedalboard might not be used by all organ players, but the ones that do need it to be spot on! So we took another look at how it works and sounds and it is now almost indistinguishable from the real one.

Here is a quick video of our friend Phil Curry having some fun playing "Gospel Train" on his Hammond SK2.

If you already own the B-5, then this "update" is FREE, here are the steps to get it:

1- Log into your account and download the new file from the download page (the file B-5-Organ-v2.2-EDC.rar)
2- Update UVI Workstation or Falcon to the latest version.

If you don't already have it, the B-5 Organ V2 is still at the same price (99€ / $109) and you can learn more about it and get it from here: www.acousticsamples.net/B5

More here:

B-5 Organ V2

Enjoy!

Best,

Geoff

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 11/03/17 06:48 PM

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday and wondering how long it would take UVI to accommodate the cc mapping of the XK.series. Apparently this release has not only the hooks to do so but also the actual mappings supplied by some users.

This is now on my short list- as soon as I create a short list.

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 11/04/17 10:57 AM

Nice upgrade...

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 12/01/17 09:58 AM

WOW - just WOW!!! This thing kicks butt. Kind of figured most of the subtleties from one clone to another were lost when running through real Leslies. But B5 is clearly several levels above the XK-3C; thicker warmer blah blah blah . I really like the key click and the vibrato/chorus. Won't comment on the various sim Amps and Leslies other than there are a ton of choices and lots of flexibility with each of the Leslies.

Best of all is the customer response to issues. I've had 2 bugs
resolved with new versions downloaded to my account within a day or so of reporting. And got one more confirmed and on the way.
Pretty damn fantastic all around!

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 12/01/17 06:39 PM

Interesting. I spent so much time making 100(?) personal presets for each successive generation of Hammond clones that I haven't really put the time yet into trying to do the same with B-5 so that I can do a true shoot-out.

I despise every single one of the presets, but don't regret purchasing it as it clearly is the most full-featured and best-designed SOFTWARE clone since NI canceled B4 II.

I'll be curious to hear from people who have done direct comparisons of B-5 to Hammond clones, sans effects (no chorus/vibrato or Leslie), for custom sounds vs. presets.

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 10/26/18 04:42 PM

It's too bad no one ever corrected the original title of this thread, as it complicates finding it in a search.

I am hoping to do some more in-depth shoot-outs vs. actual organ hardware in the coming weeks.

Much to my surprise, the latest update to Arturia's own B-3 modeling engine actually sounds musical now, so I may have to pick three of my personal patches (in a wide range of parameters) for a three-way shoot-out at this point.

What surprised me most in the new Arturia update (just a few weeks back) is that the percussion sound now seems to me the most realistic of any of the emulations. But I wasn't comparing apples to apples.

The tricky part is going to be to do a realistic shoot-out for both the raw sounds and the downstream effect of applying Leslie, chorus, vibrato, etc. I don't know if I can afford that time, and the answer might be different for real-time playability and inspiration vs. re-rendering recorded MIDI from earlier sessions.
Posted By: Stokely

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 10/26/18 05:24 PM

If you have Logic Pro, I'd love to see the Logic vintage organs included. There is one on youtube that has B-5 and the LVO, and the LVO seems to measure up pretty well.

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 10/26/18 07:01 PM

I'm still extremely happy with the sound of B5 played through real Leslie's. With the new version of UVI workstation I again investigated the audio pops that happen when the B5 GUI is open. Turns out the audio pops only occur in Reaper (and Cubase as I read on another forum) and not with the stand alone UVI application. Arno is aware of this but nothing he can do for these CPU heavy actions. Fortunately it does not happen when the GUI is closed and as I have it mapped perfectly to my XK-3c it's really not an issue. Would love to try Blue3 but B5 is the only B3 VST that maps to the XK-3C.

Re: Acoustic Samples B-5 Organ v2.2 for UVI Workstation - 05/21/19 07:09 PM

AcousticSamples has released version 2.5 of the B-5 Organ. More here:

Originally Posted By: AcousticSamples
We just released the Version 2.5 of the B-5 Organ, this new version contains a few internal fixes and optimizations, but more importantly, we added 2 new organ voicings.

Fixes
- There was in some very rare cases stuck tonewheels happening when using the preset keys, this should be fixed now.
- The percussion volume drop was happening on the non-percussion presets, it's not the case anymore.
- There are a few other internal fixes and improvements that were released since the V2 as silent updates, like the addition of a few organ controllers or the DI volume that you can mix with the microphones.

New organ models
Thanks to our friend Joe Doria, we were able to add a very good sounding A101 from 1963. And while we were at it, we decided to also add the organ we used for the videos, a chopped 1964 A102 bringing the B-5 to a total of 6 very distinct Organ models.
A101 and A102 organs are exactly the same as A100 models, only the type of wood (and the legs for the A101) changes. There are more audible changes between years that are mostly electronics and different adjustments to them which explains why these models all sound different.

Here is Joe testing different features of the B-5 Organ, and then another one with more serious playing mixed with drums!

If you already own the B-5, then this "update" is FREE, here are the steps to get it:

1- Log into your account and download the new file from the download page (the file B-5-Organ-v2.5-EDC.rar)
2- Update UVI Workstation or Falcon to the latest version (this is important).

If you don't already have it, the B-5 Organ V2 is still at the same price (99€ / $109) and you can learn more about it and get it from here: www.acousticsamples.net/B5

Best,

Geoff
© 2019 Music Player Network