MusicPlayerNetwork.com
Posted By: Giancarlo Robles ROMplers for Ipad - 07/06/15 09:03 AM
I have recently began to use Korg Module to replace my keyboard for Sunday services at church. It has worked perfectly up to now. However, even though Module has pianos, organs, strings and brass (which I use all of them), I'm still missing some sounds I also use during some services mainly electric guitar, flute, solo violin and rarely bagpipes. I wanted to know which ROMpler alternatives are good for these sounds if any. BTW, are there any ROMpler apps for ipad at all? I've looked around but most of what I seem to find are synths, which are not really what I'm interested in. I'd like something that sounds a bit more like the "real" instruments. That can be hard to find in an ipad, but as close as possible is fine. Doesn't need to be PC VST quality, just a working sound.
Posted By: Garubi Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/06/15 09:40 AM
You can try Sample Tank, from IK Multimedia:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankiphone/

I never used the iPad version, but running the PC one since 2010 with good results

Stefano
Posted By: AnotherScott Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/06/15 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo Robles
Are there any ROMpler apps for ipad at all?

Try Sampletank, ThumbJam, Korg's iM1.
Posted By: midinut Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/07/15 04:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Giancarlo Robles Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/07/15 08:35 AM
Are these the only ones? Considering ipad is regarded as a viable music making platform it does surprise me there are so few apps. Which of these 3 would you consider to be better? Or are the sounds gonna be liked based on personal preference? Do any of the apps sound fuller than the rest?
Posted By: brenner13 Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/07/15 04:34 PM
Roland Sound Canvas? Got to have at least an Air to get this to work from what I hear. I'm still sporting a plain old 2 so have not tried it yet.

ThumbJam is very expressive directly on the iPad interface, but has a bit of latency with MIDI for me. iM1 is wonderful but easily over-taxes the older iPad CPU.

One other that I like is Bismark bs-16i: an eight-part multi-timbral ROMpler with fairly decent sounds and rock solid stability at a reasonable price.
Posted By: midinut Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/08/15 02:41 AM
SynthMaster and GarageBand are two more that immediately come to mind. Have you gotten the expansions for Module. I also grabbed Roland Sound Canvas. Haven't messed with it yet. I used to have it on my DAW PC as a VSAt back when I was running Windows XP. It doesn't like the newer versions of Windows. Korg's iM1 can cover a lot of bases.
Posted By: Mr T, Sweden Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/08/15 05:36 AM
The Yamaha Synth Arp & Drum Pad still seems to be free. It is a multitimbral Yamaha XG quality rompler. Not bad for a free app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synth-arp-drum-pad-us/id530320055?mt=8
Posted By: AnotherScott Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 07/08/15 09:49 AM
The thing about GarageBand is (unless they've changed this) it's not easy to get it to play well with others, it doesn't have a setting that allows you to limit its MIDI reception by channel.

Sound Canvas looks cool, I didn't know about that one. And while I knew of the Yamaha app, I didn't realize it included rompler sounds. Have to check that out...
Posted By: AnotherScott Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 01/06/18 12:00 PM
I've read that Cubasis has a rompler function (Micro Sonic, based on HALion Sonic). Has anyone tried this, is it worth looking at for live rompler use, even if you don't care about Cubasis' main function as a music production environment? Can you assign different sounds to be triggered from MIDI input on different channels in real time? How are the winds and brass sounds?
Posted By: fjzingo Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 01/06/18 12:17 PM
I havenít thought about that, definitely something to test. Halionsonic has some sounds extremely similar to the motif sounds, including the overblown flute.Will checkout the strings and brass, might complement the nord stage nicely.
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
I've read that Cubasis has a rompler function (Micro Sonic, based on HALion Sonic). Has anyone tried this, is it worth looking at for live rompler use, even if you don't care about Cubasis' main function as a music production environment? Can you assign different sounds to be triggered from MIDI input on different channels in real time? How are the winds and brass sounds?
Posted By: AnotherScott Re: ROMplers for Ipad - 01/06/18 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: fjzingo
I havenít thought about that, definitely something to test. Halionsonic has some sounds extremely similar to the motif sounds, including the overblown flute.

It would be great if Micro Sonic includes the overblown flute. That would save me from having to sample it from my Yamaha into BS-16i or whatever, for the times I don't have a Yamaha board with me. That sound is a classic.

Originally Posted By: fjzingo
Will checkout the strings and brass

I did find a youtube demo of some of Micro Sonic's string sounds, starting at 8:48 in this video...

Not a great demo, but shows some potential. No demo there of any of the brass or winds, unfortunately.
© Music Player Network