Music Player Network
Thread Like Summary
Chip McDonald
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Anderton
Anderton
Filters. Yup, multiple parametric/high cut-low cut/shelving stages. A cab based on filters doesn't have that "digital" sonic veneer, takes up a lot less CPU power than convolution cabs, and just shifting a few parameters around makes for an entirely different sound. The vibe also seems to be "bigger" and somehow thicker.

I've been putting noise through amp sim cabs, checking the spectral response, and then duplicating the curve as closely as possible with EQ. Although the sound isn't as "nuanced" as digital, in the sense of having thousands of stages instead of a half-dozen or so, you can still hear that a 4 x 10 cab sounds a lot different than a 2 x 12.

This also makes bi-amping and multiband much more practical, because you can pile on the amps without bringing your computer to its knees. Fun stuff!!!
Liked Replies
by Anderton
Anderton
Originally Posted by Chip McDonald
What Kenyan artists are you into? I think of "Kenyan guitar" as being a rough acoustic sound, the rest of non-south Africa guitar I generalize as the Ali Farka Toure sound, which is kind of like a JC-120 thing?

There's a compilation album called Guitar Paradise of East Africa with artists like Daniel Kamu and Orchestre Super Mazembe. The song by H. O. Kabaselleh is a good example of what I wanted, although not quite as trebly. Overall the music isn't as polished as the more mainstream Afropop, but the guitars are distinctive and I love that sound. I also used that kind of guitar sound on the "Maladie Du Coeur" song from my Neo- album.

1 member likes this