Originally Posted by RandyFF
Very enjoyable Sunday morning watch!

Just as Fazioli is relatively little known, I keep wondering when more will be heard about the Stuart and Sons pianos, they claim they've advanced a century old way of making pianos for the better.

For the longest time, a Fazioli F228 was my desert island dream. They really don't do the drama of a good Steinway at all. But for improvisation, there is a clarity to complex structures that is very rewarding. The actions are superlative, and the whole line of pianos is just excellent. Recorded, they can be a bit vanilla and bland compared to a good Steinway full of color and drama - but playing on one is very satisfying.

The Stuart and Sons is another level entirely. I've been to factory, spent the day with Wayne Stuart and his family, and had several hours to play the instruments alone. I've written about it here before. You can find my thoughts here. I took along some very nice microphones, etc to capture my experience. I was jet-lagged, tired from work, and the improv is whatever I was feeling that day. That said there are lots of places to hear trained concert pianists play really difficult repertoire on one if that is what one needs to decide an instrument is good.

But the experience I had was superlative. I believe them to be the finest pianos in the world. The extra keys are something one cannot "un-hear" and for any improviser they are immediately useful and welcome. I won't repeat my lengthy write-up linked above, but the pianos do make everything else seem quite pedestrian. The performance envelope is well beyond any standard instrument. Softer, louder, brighter, warmer, higher, lower. Its all there.

If you want to clearly hear what is different about Stuart and Sons pianos, you can go on a comparative tour by following my explorations of a Beethoven Piano Sonata HERE. You can compare a Fazioli, Bosendorfer, Stuart & Sons, Steinway and Paulello (French) all on the same piece of music. The tonal characteristics are very obvious.