Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#990277 - 11/05/06 06:40 AM we must give what we expect.
mike.j.s.walker Offline

Loc: england
Hello,
I am writing to you because I wish to make people aware of a situation in which I find myself with Roger Nichols.

I sent an album project for Roger to mix 8 months ago. He said he would mix it 'in a week'. In good faith (which I now realize was idiotic) I sent him the money up front ($7500). After a month I had received nothing and there followed a brief period of reassurance from Roger (via email) that he was 'making progress' and that he would have it done 'by the weekend'.

There was then a period of 3 months where I heard nothing despite numerous and constant attempts to email and telephone him.
Eventually (and I now realise by shear fluke) I managed to speak
to him on the phone. He informed me that he had a bereavement in his family and had lost track of his emails for a number of reasons. I took him at his word (something I now regret) and he said he would take a couple of days to sort himself out then would get on with the job and send the mix.

This was 4 months ago and I still have not received anything and once again he will not respond to emails or telephone calls.

A friend of mine was in Clearwater last week and I asked him to
call at Roger's address with a letter asking for the hard drive
and the money to be returned. My friend managed to contact a guy called Ryan whom I believe to be a colleague or employee of
Roger's. Roger was faxed the letter and my friend had a telephone conversation with Roger in which he agreed to return the hard drive and the money. He posted the hard drive which I now have.

Since that telephone call I have heard nothing from Roger
regarding the money. Once again he will not respond to email or telephone calls.

So, just to clarify... 8 months ago I sent Roger Nichol's an album
of music on a hard drive and $7500 which he said he would mix in a week. After all that time I now have the hard drive back (unmixed) and cannot contact Roger despite all efforts. Last week he said he would arrange to send the money back. I have not received anything at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email. Please pass it on to anyone that you think might need to know about the
possibility of dealing with this man.
Mike Walker and Iain Dixon.
Manchester. UK. +44 (0) 161 654 9757

#990278 - 11/08/06 10:26 PM Re: we must give what we expect.
Jazzman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Commerce Twp, MI,USA
Wow!!! This is a nasty one. Never pay up front for the whole thing......I guess you know that now.

You might go to a collection agency. Write him an e-mail stating that you are going after him for what he owes you plus interest on the money for that year unless he makes good in getting the money back to you. He probably spent the money. Maybe after getting some professional advice you might have your advisor write that guy a letter on his letterhead and see what happens. Take him to court if you need to. $7,500 is not something to let go.

He said he was making progress, so you think.

Jazzman

#990279 - 11/09/06 05:23 AM Re: we must give what we expect.
mike.j.s.walker Offline

Loc: england
thanks jazzman. we are doing just that. If you go to rogernichols.com you can see just what he has done in the past. He really is rockin when it comes to engineering, If you go to http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?threadid=1430168&goto=newpost you'll get a few perspectives of the situation. thanks again for your welcome comments.

#1737575 - 04/19/07 03:03 PM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: mike.j.s.walker]
thanksforhelpethan Offline

Loc: los angeles
I realise I am just a humble little nobody right now, but to me 7500 is not something to let go. I have done things for someone stiffing me for 300... But this is the music business I geuss its more proper here. I hope nobody trys to stiff me like that sometime down the road and makes me lose my cool.

GL on getting your money though

#1982219 - 08/19/08 06:13 PM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: thanksforhelpethan]
Mortal Engines Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I keep thinking of that quote:

"The scum always rises to the top."

Hunter S. Thompson, I believe.

#1982336 - 08/20/08 05:56 AM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: Mortal Engines]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Mortal - you do realize that this thread is nearly two years old? ;\)

#1983082 - 08/21/08 09:55 PM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: Griffinator]
Mortal Engines Offline

Ah...no...I had just gone down thru the page a bit...wasn't looking at dates. Wonder what the outcome was....

#1983107 - 08/22/08 05:02 AM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: Mortal Engines]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Mortal Engines
Ah...no...I had just gone down thru the page a bit...wasn't looking at dates. Wonder what the outcome was....

I'm willing to bet this got fixed pretty quick. Roger Nichols is a highly respected industry guy. I'm sure this was just a misunderstanding.

#1983587 - 08/23/08 02:08 PM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: Griffinator]
Mortal Engines Offline

Let's hope so..then again if it was ongoing I am sure that it would have been posted to. Again, I hadn't checked the dates and am kind of surprised that a 2 year old thread would still be on page one...then again I tend to troll a lot of other user forums for Reason and Ableton and they are a little more specific....people tend to post to those a bunch... It was kind of odd hearing this about Roger Nichols because yes...he carries a lot of weight in the industry (even has his own plugs now). Then again, you hear alot about "Hollywood" types who pretty much screw you over by cell phone on the way to yoga class.

#1983837 - 08/24/08 07:34 PM Re: we must give what we expect. [Re: Mortal Engines]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Mortal Engines
Again, I hadn't checked the dates and am kind of surprised that a 2 year old thread would still be on page one...

This is not the busiest forum. ;\)

You'll find that, outside of Ethan's forum, the Project Studio, Guit Player, Keyboard Corner, and Bass Player, these forums are a ghost town.