Next Thread
Print Thread
Can I pull this session off?
#978829 04/19/01 07:03 PM
Kris Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
The record company wants the producer to recut the choir on a recent "live" Gospel album that I did some (actually lots! It's not very live anymore!) overdubs and edits on. Well the FAMU choir is in my town, so they want to use my studio. There are 30 people in the choir consisting of 5 (I think) sections. They want to record all sections at the same time due to time constraints.

So I've got to figure out how to fit 30 choir members into 3 rooms totalling around 650 sq ft. And also how to run 30 headphones... (I can run 16 headphone lines right now). And the best way to mic the sections up and space them out.

Am I crazy to think that I can pull this off?
I'd like to convince them to do it in two groups, which I think I'd be able to handle no problem, but 30 choir members at once in my little studio!?! Sounds like a party (or serious fiasco)!

Any advice, hints, tips would be great.

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
Re: Can I pull this session off?
#978830 04/20/01 01:54 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Why not talk to their tour manager and find out what other town the choir will be 'hitting' (do choirs 'hit' town? ) and book a full size place there THAT ALREADY HAS the gear you require + THE RIGHT ACCUSTICS and control room / conductor / choir eye contact.

Then you become "MR cool visiting freelance sound engineer / logistics expert" and get the red carpet treatment instead of all the worry.

Dont be ashamed of your facility be proud of your dynamism, (and 'net advisor' Jules )

Whatever happens good luck!

Note: If you DO it at your place have two "Chip Chucks' (guys called Chip or Chuck, or Brad or Tad) on full standby all day who are demon at soldering, understand shielded/ unbalanced and can help you trouble shoot the headphone network. Soldering irons ON, screwdrivers in back pockets, pressed checked shirts (white T underneath)
Set it all up the day before, that is A LOT OF PEOPLE!
rent a CC TV network?

Ask them if you can join them in prayer!

Or leave your answering machine on and hide under a pillow till they stop calling you.

Jules

This message has been edited by Julian standen on 04-19-2001 at 06:56 PM

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
#978831 04/20/01 02:16 AM
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
Great Advice, Jules. Also, why would you want to risk it for a gig that most likely isn't paying a whole heck of a lot. What's your parking situation like? Do you have 30 coffee cups, chairs, etc.? Sounds like a lot of work, toil and trouble, to me.....yes, I do know hard hard it is to say no. Yes, go record it somewhere set up to do it, in a nice sounding space, where you can get in and out as the visiting expert engineer cleanly, and stress free.
ed c

#978832 04/30/01 10:25 PM
Kris Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Julian standen:

Then you become "MR cool visiting freelance sound engineer / logistics expert" and get the red carpet treatment instead of all the worry.

This message has been edited by Julian standen on 04-19-2001 at 06:56 PM

Thanks to y'alls wonderful advice, that is exactly who I got to be! I was able to convince the producer (it was a hard sell too) to allow me to set up a session outside of my studio. We did it in a church with wonderful acoustics, I used oktavia mics which sounded sweet, and I used one monitor at a relatively low volume instead of headphones. Brought along a DA-88, and got to charge a big onlocation/rental fee as well as the hourly rate.

I was set up behind the conductor and at one section of a song the music stops and then after a 2 or 3 second pause picks up again. The choir had to say a line, with the music, when it picks up, but they missed it three or four times in a row. I took note of the time on the DA- 88 and as it came to the pick up, I raised my hand as if to conduct the choir to come in. They all had there eyes in my direction and hit the section perfectly! They all gave me a round of applause for that one, and now I can add "Conductor" to my resume as well!

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
#978833 04/30/01 11:14 PM
V
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
V
Kris,

One thing nobody's mentioned but valid too..

Can your infrastructure handle 30+ crew = 36-40 PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME?

Think: how many toilet stalls do you have??

I did a 40 person group @ SONY Studios in NYC two years ago, and even that big ol place got stressed....

#978834 04/30/01 11:42 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Give my regards to the Rattler Choir...I used to live in Tallahassee...went to FSU between 87 and 89...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"
#978835 05/01/01 04:37 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I am so happy it all worked out for you!

Wow, what a buzz that must have been queing the whole choir to come in!

Skillfull job selling the idea too!

Jules
The Library
London
UK

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

Link Copied to Clipboard