Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
R
Hey all -

Can't believe I've finally made it! It's like the day after school finishes. I'm actually in my house during the daytime . I might even go outdoors. Is it safe?

Had good fun in Nashville - it's a nice feature that you can't get from the door to the counter in Bongo Java without pushing a couple of working songwriters or musicians or producers out of the way... The scene there is just humming. I didn't hang much with the real 615-ers, just the rootsier folk.

I was working on a cool project with my old friend Colin Linden, and we had some nice guests as well, Lee Roy Parnell, Lucinda Williams, Jonell Mosser. Mixed a track with Colin and Keb' Mo'. All pretty darn cool, if you ask me.

Some pretty nice studios there too.

Any LA area board denizens up for a face-to-face? I just don't know what to do with myself now that the insane work posse has let me take a holiday...

JW

P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Come hang in London,(i cant put you up, sorry) go visit Jon Attack in Paris too and the AES in Amsterdam....

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
Hi John, welcome back. Looks like you were working with some great folks. I have made records for Lee Roy, Jonell, and Keb' Mo'. Real fine artists, all. Where were you working? I would go to Europe in the spring, say hey to Jon and Jules.
ed c

R
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Cherney:
Hi John, welcome back. Looks like you were working with some great folks. I have made records for Lee Roy, Jonell, and Keb' Mo'. Real fine artists, all. Where were you working?
ed c

They all have Ed/Rose stories. (well, Jonell and Lee Roy, such great people, eh?) Don't worry I won't repeat them...

I was mostly at a little home studio that was absolutely great, virtually unknown but destined to be a real roots hangout. Called Deep Field.

Just to give an idea what this place is about, I was pretty sure I knew where all the available original UA Mic Input modules were. And I walk into this guy's basement and he has 12!!!. In a rack. Working.

We did some tracking in the little rooms there and those amps were so brilliant I just used them to go to 8 tracks of ProTools. When came time to finish those tunes up I ran the PT ouputs back through the line side of the UA amps and just put them all at unity gain. Mix finished!

I'll keep everyone posted about the project. I think it's very, very cool.

Ed, you in LA?

JW

PS I guess some of you folks might make it down to Austin this weekend. I'm probably going down...

P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Anyone a South by South West, please look up and see the gig by My chum

Meg Lee Chin

http://www.megleechin.com

She is a cool engineer/ girl artist / computer nerd / space case / best friend
has an album out, needs help to do the next one...

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
D
D
Heh John! Dave Hillier here in Nova Scotia.E-Mail davidwhillier@hotmail.com . Let's ketchup. It has been too long!

Link Copied to Clipboard