Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
'Big behind the board', the inevitable pun, studio diet?
#974994 08/16/00 02:11 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I do little exersise, don't drink enough water and drink too much coffee, how 'bout you guys? I gave up booze n drugs, thats someting I suppose...
Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
Re: 'Big behind the board', the inevitable pun, studio diet?
#974995 08/16/00 02:21 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
"the path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."

i chain smoke, brings the metabolism up keeps the weight down. screw it, you only here once. diet of fast food and beer.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
#974996 08/16/00 04:02 AM
D
D
I had ballooned into a bloated, beached whale in the past few years... Shoot, I got into this biz in the first place 'cause I didn't like exercise, and am not much for outdoorsy things. After watching a couple of clients shrink before my eyes, I bought the Atkins book (the low-carbohydrate theory) and after 6 weeks of eating eggs, bacon, steak and bunless cheeseburgers, I am now 23lbs lighter, and feel better than I have in years. AND I don't get the sleepies in the afternoon. Best of all, I don't have to do the dreaded "E" word, although I *have* started running now that my boobies no longer slap me in the face. Another couple months and I'll be at my high school weight...

------------------
Demian Norvell
AppleSeed Studios
Ruch, OR

#974997 08/16/00 10:10 AM
C
C
Very little booze any more (once or twice a week, is that very little?). Smoke too much. Addicted to tea and coffee w/extra caffine and sugar. Eat garbage cause I'm always too busy... a lame excuse. Whenever I eat clean I lose the fat. Now I just need to start doing it. That carb thing sounds cool.

#974998 08/16/00 03:33 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i have seen the POOKIE DIET do wonders with weight loss too. its quite expensive and you might just start selling off all your equipment, but hey, you'll be skinny as hell.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974999 08/16/00 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
You ever had a Kidney Stone? Imagine giving birth to twin sumo wrestlers,,, not something a man is designed to do.
Do yourself a favor and Get a water cooler for your new studio,.. it's cheap and bands will lap it up as well, drink at least 8 cups a day , adding a cup extra for each caffinated beverage you consume. And the spring water actually tastes good (at least I imagine it does).

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
#975000 08/16/00 10:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys, be careful on that Atkins diet. Use commen sense when picking what you eat.
That carbo thing comes back about every 10 years with a flourish until all the heart problems start up again.
Of course, I'm not Tiny G becuase I'm thin. . . . see ya

------------------
Tiny G

#975001 08/17/00 01:48 AM
J
Gold Member
Gold Member
J
Man, as an American in Europe, I can say that fad diets are such a States-side thing. Nobody worries about that crap over here. Somehow people are thinner too, while eating well. Savoir vivre?

My thing is lots of bottled water on hand and rollerblading instead of driving...20 minutes of that to and from the studio each day. Gives me that wind-in-my-hair freedom vibe, and feels great too.

Jon

#975002 08/17/00 05:55 AM
I lost 20 pounds in two months just switching from brown liquids to clear liquids. You know, instead of Guiness, Zima. No bourbon, only vodka, that sort of thing.

Chris

#975003 08/17/00 08:15 AM
I saw a show on munks a few years ago they eat 1 meal a day and live to like 120 or something. They sleap 4hrs a night (same as me) and sit most of the day(same as all of us) they eat a well balenced meal so I figured I would try it. I have been doing it ever since, at first I lost 30 pounds not all at once but a bit at a time and then I didn't loose any more I feel great never get burnt out 3pm and work 16hr days. works for me.

t.v creates imaginary friends for lonely people.
#975004 08/17/00 06:49 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
the french eat very rich meals but the portions are TINY. have you seen the small at a McD's lately? its huge, now imagine the supersize. it comes with practically a 2liter of coke in a cup now.

its a states thing cause people in america are fucking FAT AS HELL. i cant believe all the FAT PIGS i see. and BUFFETs, its like pig troughs with all the plump piggies lining up eating their slop.

*if i offended any fat people, good. lose your weight or you WILL die. everybody bitches about the cigarette manufacturers killing people but food can do it just as easily.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975005 08/17/00 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
alpha,

You can't compare food to tobacco. You need food, you don't need cigarettes. Too much of anything is bad. The portions here are ridiculous, and if you've grown up where your parents made you clean off your plate, then you're screwed. The attitude about food is much healthier abroad. A meal is an event, take your time, enjoy it, socialize. Part of the problem with the supersize combo meal is that your eating it in 4 minutes so you can get back to work or whatever.
I think you would enjoy food more without the taste of a cigarette in your mouth.

------------------
Tiny G

#975006 08/18/00 03:40 AM
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
It is so had to eat right and be healthy in this job. The advice about drinking a lot of water is really true. Recently, all of my joints and bones and everything else just hurt like hell......I had been working for weeks and just forgot to drink any water. Duuuuh.....Within one day of pounding down that nice water from France I was feeling good again. Great advice, obvious advice....but, you need a keen sense of the obvious in this bizness.
Be careful of the Atkins diet....a friend of mine lost 30 pounds, and he just keeled over and died from a heart attack.
ec

#975007 08/18/00 04:32 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
my parents made me clean my plate [even threw up right in my plate choking down lima beans once] and im not fat. and i eat super size double quater pounder w/ cheese meals at McD's. and yes, i do NEED cigarettes. especially in the morning with a cup of coffee [expresso w/halfnhalf and so much sugar the spoon stands on end].

and yes, i can compare the two, in fact i did. and ed just proved it [except smoking is a slower death than just a heartattack, so is living in a city breathing car fumes which results in 20% of all lung cancer cases]. plus im too lazy to be fat, i dont want to have to carry around the weight of another person or two on my body [btw, im not referring to merely heavier people, im talking the obese kind]

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975008 08/18/00 05:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, my advice would be to NEVER eat at McD's and NEVER smoke a cigarette.

Drinking lots of good water and drinking lots of veggies (juicing, or you can do what boring people do and EAT the veggies) is a key.

I'd also recommend that you buy a good bicycle and aim it up some hills and work your ass off.

Of course these things have worked for me, I don't know if they'll work for you.

Rich...

#975009 08/18/00 06:09 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I feel good if I eat a piece of fruit or two a day and if I remember to drink a litre of water...well...then, I am sportsman of the year! I love chilly air con, but I reckon that dries you out...
Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#975010 08/18/00 07:30 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
hey rich, i live in the friggin mountains a mile high. and you know what, mountain bikes arent really mountain bikes [just hunks of consumer crap] i bent several forks until i got some shocks. see here we go uphill, and then we go downhill really fast [wouldnt dare ride without a helmet] full of banked haripin turns and jumps galore. i swear that half the time youre not even on the ground. and there is nothing like a smoke when you get to the top before you go down. mmm nicotine. i have been known to puff one on the way up but that was in my heavier smoking days. my darlin nicotine aint the only lady up in these hills. but then again, im breathing some really clean air in comparison to a nonsmoker in the city. and i dont have to import water, i get it free right from the ground, and better tasting than store bought imports.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975011 08/18/00 12:18 PM
H
H
So how do i keep my weight?

I bring my own food to the studio, drink 3 cups of coffee a day as a maximum, bring my own mineral-water and drink at least 2 liter a day. The problem is, that you don't move so much in a studio.
You sit in your chair, push some faders or click a mouse, and suddenly you wonder why your back is hurting.
Sometimes I'm glad i have no assistant so i can get to the recording room and setup some mikes myself.
4 or 5 years ago I stopped doing 14 hour session without a break, now i try do have some longer breaks when i do longer sessions. You allways hear the "No time to... " excuse when it comes to sports, hollidays etc. but most of its only laziness, its easier to go to McD than making your own sandwich.
And also i like to deny some jobs sometimes, because for me heath is more important than work. If your work makes you ill, than go get another job (if you can, i know). Beeing in the music business is not only fun, but also hard work, and to me no work is worth feeling like 60 when you're only 40 years old (I'm 36).

Harald

PS: Im also a runner, doing marathon, and if you realy want to, you can also find the time for living without destroing your body.

Harald
#975012 08/18/00 03:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alpha, that's why I said get a good bicycle. None of that mountain-wanker crap.

Get a good titanium road bike and stay off of the trails. Ride on the tarmac where the athletes ride.

Rich...

#975013 08/18/00 08:43 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
rich, you get far more exercise on a mountain bike than a pussyass road bike could ever hope to give you. and more thrills...

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975014 08/18/00 11:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Tomac (world champion mountain biker) raced in the Paris-Roubaix road race a few years ago and got TROUNCED.

Ergo he was not as fit as the roadies, ergo he wasn't getting more exercise on the mountain bike.

Rich...

#975015 08/18/00 11:51 PM
I think we'd all lose weight if we took the little wheels off our chairs and had to actually get up and walk over to the patchbay.

Chris

#975016 08/19/00 12:29 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
thats element rich. get the road bikers on the mountain trail and see who finishes first.

nothing making you feel more alive than feeling like youre gonna die.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975017 08/19/00 05:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mountain-wanking is technique, and can be learned. Not fitness.

But we should stop here. What many audio people might be learning now is that the mountain-wank vs. road bike debate is just as hot as analog vs. digital.

Rich...

#975018 08/19/00 09:48 AM
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
The one thing I can't believe nobody mentioned.......I try to dance as much as possible behind the big boad during my sessions.....my clients also really seem to enjoy the spectacle and pageantry.
ec

#975019 08/19/00 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's REALLY funny that you should mention that. Because when a song is REALLY hot, and I'm REALLY feelin the groove.... I'll do that too. If we're approaching a really good mix I'll put it on the big speakers (and if there's room) kinda dance around the control room, groove, and listen.

Rich...

#975020 08/19/00 05:58 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Like Homer Simpson?

I'll shut up. I need to lose 30 pounds, too.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com
#975021 08/19/00 07:04 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
is it really rich? i had no idea. of course i just do it and dont really get into politics much in that respect. i just enjoy catching some air and the rushes of adrenaline. one of my friends does both but raced for trek and cannondale for the mountain side and he also happened to roadbike across the country.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#975022 08/19/00 07:39 PM
D
D
Sorry to hear about your Friend, Ed. The friends I've known to have difficulty on the Atkins diet it turns out didn't bother to read the book... But my friends who have read it and not blindly guessed at how it works have discovered their blood figures, cholesterol, tryglicerides etc. dropped dramatically. I haven't had bloodwork done, but all I know is I feel better than I have in years. My 70 y/o mother started the diet the same time I did and her blood pressure dropped to normal for the first time in decades. I'm no dietician, but the book makes a lot of sense, basically to eventually eat like we did before we poured six teaspoons of sugar in our water (soda pop) and managed to eliminate nutrients out of our grains and flours. BUT it certainly is something you should study for yourself before committing to such a drastic change that seems so contrary to conventional wisdom. But also know that much of the AMA's nutrition research is funded by Kelloggs, who stand to lose a lot if Atkins is right...

------------------
Demian Norvell
AppleSeed Studios
Ruch, OR

#975023 08/19/00 11:19 PM
J
J
Hey Ed,

I'd like to buy a ticket to come and watch you dance!

Karen

------------------

#975024 08/20/00 03:17 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I go to clubs fairly often, I am getting on the dance floor more often, (single, havent got someone that will tell me how dumb I look)
Anyhoo, I've developed this Jungle Book type of dance that gives my lower back a real work out!
Boogaloo!

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#975025 08/20/00 03:22 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Jules:

NOT Homer Simpson, but "Jungle Book"?

Then, when in LA, you should look up Karen, "Jungle Girl".

SHE'LL help you burn off some calories dancing, or bt a similar activity!!

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com
#975026 08/20/00 04:24 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I like to swap the cartoon charecters I model myself on, around a little.

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#975027 08/20/00 06:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My moves might not even be dancing... just grooving, and playing air-guitar if the tune warrants it.

Rich...

#975028 08/23/00 07:25 AM
O
O
sheesh, I just burn off the calories stressing about friggin software upgrades - I think I'll call it the ".01 vers." diet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard