Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can ADAT's cut the mustard (or just cheese)
#974788 07/31/00 09:40 PM
T
Trout Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ed,

I apologize for the cross-forum posting, but a response (from anyone) would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know of any high quality, commercially viable recordings that were made with ADATS and mixed on a console that does NOT cost in the six-figure range?

Is it even possible to make an outstanding ADAT record without all the additional bells and whistles like Apogee converters, Neve consoles, C12 mics and the like? Are all us indie producers relegated to the "close but no cigar" category as long as we use ADATs and modest mixing desks?

Regards......... Trout

Re: Can ADAT's cut the mustard (or just cheese)
#974789 08/01/00 04:01 AM
C
C
This can be some what of loaded question, which I am sure will( or maybe not spark alot of debate) Yes there have been major label stuff done on Adat's/Mackies etc.. I.C.P. The Great Milenko and Kings x newest album was done on Adat's, Pantera's latest was done on Da-88's. These are just a few off the top of my head, I have done some major label blues and christian stuff on Adat's and an Amek board, Now alot depends on your skill and ears, and there obviouly is a definite difference in sound between an Adat/Small frame console and a Studer/Otari , Neve/SSL combination, is one better than the other? People will debate that until the cow's come home, Can you do major label stuff on either. Yea, I think it has been proven you can. I would say if you can afford it check out all the options listen to everything (equipment wise,) and buy what is going to work for your situation.

#974790 08/01/00 10:09 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
I think few will argue that a Neve or SSL does not sound better than a Mackie, Amek, etc. But if few- or no- major label albums have been made on ADATs or mixed on other than Neve or SSL consoles, it may have little to do with fidelity. Few acts with that kind of backing will complain for long if a label insists on sending them to an expensive studio, and the folks at the label can feel reassured that the album is being recorded "right"... and have a ton of expenses to declare if said act ever insists on any payment beyond the advance.

Clearly, the gear has a lot to do with the sound, but the engineer makes the real difference. I'd rather have a real pro recording me on any piece of cat-crap than an intern pretending to be a real engineer with my music on the midnight shift at MegaBuxSound.

Not that I'm strongly opinionated...

ML

#974791 08/01/00 04:35 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Read my answer on George's board.

I don't want to be accused of cross dressing again!!

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

Link Copied to Clipboard