Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If you want to know what a mic pre sounds like.....
#974406 05/29/00 06:29 PM
W
OP Offline
W
you need to check out the 3D Audio Mic Pre CD. Word of mouth and opinions are NOT the best way to buy a mic pre! (IMHO)

33 mic pres were used to record female vocal and acoustic guitar, blind test, very interesting. More info at: http://www.3daudioinc.com
and the CD is also available from Sweetwater. It's a good investment.

BTW, I didn't make the CD and don't sell it, I just really admire the project and the results it produced.
Eliott
Wateree Studio

Re: If you want to know what a mic pre sounds like.....
#974407 05/30/00 02:20 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
ive ordered the cd but i think you are wrong. opinions are great even if they vary widely. that someone hears in something could be totally different but what you might be looking for. even with the cd, somebody could hear something that you didnt and then you hear it once its been said. then it might become very apparent, something you might start to hear after a month with the unit anyways. you might like it or not. any information is helpful especially in working situations that most of us here are involved in. even the CD has its pitfalls though there is nothing they could of really done about it. they did quite a nice job. one thing massively missing is drums. distorted guitar has way more information than one would think, you are actually distoring the mic and pre to an extent. also nobody except them truely knows what the source sounded like. i wasnt there to hear the guitar or vocals.

plus i rarely record acoustic guitar or female vocals so while it shows differences among the amps with these sources, i have no idea what it sounds like when its pushed for that matter. does it thin if its run at a lower gain? there is just too many thing about equipment to not listen to others opinions.

what not to go on is the advertisements and catalogs from retailers. they make everything sound good and little or no truth to the statements.

the real problem in buying a mic pre is the only way to really hear it is to get one and try it out. i think retail outlets should have demo models available for loan. then i could compare where it matters and on what it matters. i used to work at a ski shop ages ago where we did that with skis. of course you wouldnt do that with a ART or similar but when you drop $2-4k, you better be able to give it a good test drive.

i walked out of a store when i was buying a guitar amp and the owner wouldnt let me turn it up. who the hell plays a guitar amp on whisper, it doesnt even come close to sounding the same.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
#974408 05/30/00 04:25 PM
W
OP Offline
W
>what not to go on is the advertisements and catalogs from retailers. they make everything sound good and little or no truth to the statements.

the real problem in buying a mic pre is the only way to really hear it is to get one and try it out. i think retail outlets should have demo models available for loan. then i could compare where it matters and on what it matters. i used to work at a ski shop ages ago where we did that with skis. of course you wouldnt <

Good point! The word of mouth has a place, but it's not a substitute for using the mic pre (or mic, etc..) in your own environment, hearing with your own ears. I think most mics and mic pres are purchased without ever hearing them, and almost all without hearing them in your own environment.

Eliott

#974409 06/09/00 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talk to every engineer you can. Get to know the gear sluts that own or can get their hands on every pre around. Find out what they use them for and why. Compare and sift the results. Read, read, read. Research, research, research. Listen, listen, listen.

If this game was easy, would we all still play?

Link Copied to Clipboard