#974226 05/25/00 07:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hello everyone-nice forum!
I've been given the oportunity to mix a few tunes for a friends band (radio-rock??). The studio in which I will be mixing is a bit cramped for gear. Yet, there is a pair of Urei 1176's. I'm looking for techniques and uses for these units...
any help would be great!Thanks!

Re: 1176 / compression techniques?
#974227 05/25/00 08:03 PM
R
R
Try them on everything and see what works! I know that some folks have a definite preferences for 1176 usage, but my feeling is as above; try till your hearts content! From my experience, Bass sounds good, vocals and electric guitar. The only caveat would be to set it carefully! The 1176 has a "sound" and unless you really want to "hear" it on everything, be judicious-less is more. I hope this helps,

Rich T.

#974228 05/25/00 09:05 PM
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
El Grillo,
The 1176 is good on some stuff, OK, on others. The use of the attack and release knobs have a lot to do with what you get out of it. A good place to start is to first set up your levels going in and going out. If you are at +4, your input will typically be at around 10 o'clock, and output at around 1 o'clock. A good way to set this is to swithch the compression circuit out by turning the attack knob all the way counter clockwise, past the detent, then adjust in and out with the input and output knobs and switching between metering. With instuments, like bass, for example, don't be afraid of of the output meter doing RPMS, that's where it usually comes up for me, just use your ears. EGT's work well with slow attacks, and fast release times....1176's work really well when you really want to smash stuff.
ec

#974229 05/26/00 09:07 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Your can get a extreme, over-compressed sound by pushing ALL FOUR ratio control buttons in at the same time.

It's not good for everything, but it IS a good effect to play with.

Just stand back from the monitors after you do it!!

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

Link Copied to Clipboard