#973999 05/07/00 09:24 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Rich:

Getting a little Political, are we?

Starting to sound like me; watch it!!

You'll be hated, too, although you KNOW I agree with you!!

And Alpha:

Yup, ALL your favorite records were RUINED by having the reflections off the console surface distort their monitoring.

Ever see how most people put their speakers up in their houses, especially the Married ones, where the Wife wants the decor to be just so?

One on the floor, and one, sideways, on the bookshelf.

Can't WAIT to see how the speakers are going to be arranged in 5.1 suburban households.

Most people are not as nuts as we (I take that back, we EDUCATED ones) are about their Audio Theory, and put the speakers where they are convenient, or look good.

So, I guess that MASSIVE amount of distortion from the reflection off the console is TRULY important.

While mixing on NS-10s, too.

Are we making a fuss about nothing, or am I going crazy(er)?

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com
#974000 05/07/00 11:02 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
bob you just the crazy(est).

i would take the new sony dmxr100 hooked up to some mackie HDR's for a minute fraction of the price anyday. get some really nice mic pre's, AD's. man im drooling. i would garauntee the recording would sound as good if not better. assuming they are both in nice sounding rooms.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
#974001 05/07/00 12:09 PM
C
C
I wonder sometimes if there's really any need for more new music. Tower records could keep you busy for quite a few lifetimes. Rock, pop, rap etc. are young formats, but what's next? (The Beatles ruined it for everybody). Hasn't every scale been used to death already?

So we went through the hybrid Zydeco-meets-Opera-crossed w/ Emo-core influenced Bebop...(WAIT! I think that one's still available! MINE!). You know, all the blending of forms... still happening.

But good songs from the gut are always cool. And once in a while I hear something fresh and mind-blowing.

I'll tell you where the future is: Sine waves! At a club in Miami (they were playing the requisite techno) I saw something pretty... well, pretty something. This song - 4 on the floor typical - all of a sudden does this huge sweep from like 100Hz to 6k over an excrutiatingly tense 2 minutes or so. The place went berzerk. I could feel my mood change from the tension in that 2 minutes - it definitely had an imact on me as well.

So, I will make an album of test tones to bass drum beats. I might even throw in some white noise, just to show my creative side.

#974002 05/07/00 06:03 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
C.Cash:

Great idea!!

But just LEAVE the sine wave at, oh 60Hz or so, and modulate the White noise, and switch it to Pink, once in a while.

Like the Army does to get you to puke!!

Just throw in a free Ecstasy tablet with every CD (Whoops!! Miami:Club: = 12" single).

BUT, you MUST add the requsite distortion, like a Honda Civic with little chrome wheels and tinted windshields, driving down the street with the volume so loud, that I can hear the HIGH END for 1/2 mile!! (The Bass for 2 miles; I think it's going to rain!!)

Wonder what it must be like in that car?

And I LIKE to Monitor LOUD!!

21 year-old Kids with the hearing of 85 year old Men!! !!

You're correct. The Beatles did ruin it.

Using tape loops for sampling 33-34 years ago!!

They sould be ashamed of being SO creative!! Now what can everyone do!!??

And Alpha. Yea that sounds good. And cheap (inexpensive), too.

Why not set up that room, and I'll come down with a Band and use it? Finally get to meet you!!

Stil got your lights, or LEDs and stuff though.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#974003 05/08/00 05:09 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i use those christams lights with the pattern selector for the light show. dammit if they dont just automatically align with the music everytime anyways.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974004 05/08/00 09:47 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by THE MIX FIX:
Like the Army does to get you to puke!!

No kidding? I have this goofy friend who likes to come up off-the-wall inventions that he never makes... Ever since I played a 100Hz test tone for him he's convinced the military should learn how to direct the freq. at concentrated area at an incredible SPL which (he's convinced) could cause an enemy-wide bowel movement. And they say you can pick your friends...

#974005 05/08/00 06:52 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
C.Cash:

Yup, it's true!!

I'm not sure what frequencies or SPLs are used, but I KNOW they exist. Not only did I read an article about it once, but a few people I know who where in the Military told me about them.

So Your Friend has a "Military/Industrial Complex" mind.

Watch out for him!!

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 05-08-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#974006 05/08/00 07:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I remember, it's actually very low frequencies that cause the body to do weird things. Like below 20Hz.

My personal wish for the future (hopefully soon) is going to be a rack with some decent outboard mic pre's in it, and a few Distressors.

Rich...

#974007 05/08/00 11:55 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i did a banner ad once that gave people seizures. had it switching from black to white @ 10 cps.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974008 05/10/00 01:45 PM
C
C
Ed, before this thread disintegrates, could we hear your answer to your question? You would certainly have the inside word on how the pros feel in general. WILL the traditional role of the engineer become obsolete, in your opinion? For example, I've heard about newer internet streaming formats that will be able to send 24 tracks @ 96k, if the network/connections are up to snuff. How would this change the way you work, etc.?

and Alpha - that's cruel man!

#974009 05/10/00 08:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, you could send 48 tracks of 24/96 if the internet connection is up to snuff.

It's the snuff-ness that counts.

Rich...

#974010 05/12/00 09:49 AM
G
G
well....how about track rooms...much like chat rooms..everyone can log on under some cool name and pretend to be or actually be a major contributor to your project. once you get to know the person well enough (if theyre not some weirdo, artist pervert.) you can exchange emails and continue the relationship...maybe even exchange phone #'s and maybe once you siphon thru all the BS, put together some great "cyber tracks". Now there's a name for an internet recording studio...hehe. but you know what???...i remember this same question came up with me and some of my buds in 1969 when we tried to predict the future of recording technology and came pretty darn close. 48 tracks??..yeah right...i think the smoke was probably better then too.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard