Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#973939 04/21/00 09:16 PM
E
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
E
I am curious to know what some of you nice folks think about the future of recording. It seems everyone and their uncle has a home studio with some sort of disc based media. Are big studios going to be a thing of the past? What about virtual recording, with storage being done at some cyber location, where you log on to access your tracks, have your musicians log on to add their parts. Obviously gear is getting smaller and more powerful. I am not convinced that music sounds better now than it did 30 years ago. Where do you think we're heading? Who wants to try to predict the future. What skills will be needed. Will the traditional role of the recording engineer become obsolete? I am anxious to hear from ya'll, as you guys seem to be on the cutting edge of computer based recording.
ec

#973940 04/21/00 10:24 PM
J
JES Offline
J
Hi Ed,

In my other life, I'm a cultural historian of mechanical and electronic media. I think about this stuff a lot, and it seems to me that we're going in multiple directions at once.

It's not just a technology thing. There's obviously the skill of the engineer (as Mix Fix often points out), and the thing about amateurs is that some will have a real gift but most others (like me) have to spend time and learn and play around with stuff. If you spend all your time doing something for years and years, it makes a difference. In my profession, people who can write well sound good right away, but they don't have the depth or flexibility of someone who's been reading, writing, and teaching for decades. It's the same with recording.

Additionally, there's the economics of it. Really expensive pro studios require people willing to put up the dough -- ie the music industry. There's a kind of economic circuit going on there, and it seems like major label acts don't generally get into home stuff until they're established.

And we've yet to find a home medium that sounds like 2" 24-track, with a big-league board going through Neumann mics, Urei compressors, etc. etc.

The real difference, I think, will be in smaller studios that used to derive their revenue for beginning bands and one-time things. The gear is catching up to the old DIY ethos of punk so it doesn't have to sound like crap to be "indy" anymore. That's wonderful to me.

For me, and no offense Ed, this is kind of sad because the big $$ music industry will be the least hurt by it -- it's the smaller independent studios that served a whole community that are most in danger.

Technologies don't kill professions; professions kill professions.

Of course, now they get gigs recording video game soundtracks as well.

JES

#973941 04/21/00 11:05 PM
C
C
Hi Ed. I posed a question very similiar to this on another (DAW) BB a while back. I was surprised that everyone (lots of replies) seemed firm on talent<>gear, or tools<>talent. There was a resounding "it's mostly the talent of the musicians and the engineer/producer; the gear is just allowing more people to use their talent."

I'm a little uneasy about it, though. Before, you had to REALLY want to do this. There are folks dropping 5K on DAWs that don't know what a pre is. I read it. I wonder where they get all their money...

Anyway, best quote from the post went something like:

"Everyone has access to paint, canvas, and supplies. Does that make a Picasso any less desirable/valuable?"

After a while I hope you'll post Your thoughts on this topic.

#973942 04/22/00 03:48 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Though things change, they will always remain the same.

Talent will ALWAYS win out over technology, except for totally Capitalistic purposes.

How many guys/gals can sit with just an acoustic guitar, or piano, and vocal, or JUST their voice, and keep a large crowd spellbound for hours?

A few always could, and a few always will, no matter WHAT the technology or instument is, or will be.

I have to paraphrase this, and I'm sorry I can't remember whose quote it was, but it goes something like this:

"It used to be said that a Million Monkeys at a Million Typewriters would eventually produce the Complete Works of Shakesphere. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is no longer true".

Just change that around a bit and substitute the words "recordists", and "Home Based Studios", and the like, and I think it still rings true.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com
#973943 04/22/00 03:51 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Oh yea, JES, thanks for noticing.

I also agree with your post, and it saddens me even more.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973944 04/22/00 04:20 AM
D
D
I think that there will always be a need for great-sounding tracking rooms with top-shelf gear. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to have racks full of Avalon, GML, and Manley just to track vocals in your bathroom! This is how I work now: record to my harddrive at a great studio with a PT system, bring it home and edit/mix, have someone lend an objective ear, burn to CD, done.

However, I think it's too bad that there seem to be fewer and fewer full-time in-house mix engineers with YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN A PARTICULAR ROOM. Sure, I or anyone else can rent the room for a couple days to take advantage of their gear, but it would be foolish of me to think that I could 'learn' the aural character of that room in a day or two.

All that ranting aside, I think the business will become dominated by people who are self-contained: write it, record it, edit it, mix it, burn it, sell it (hopefully). It's nice to have that much control, but scary, too. I hope the well doesn't run dry...

#973945 04/22/00 04:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, I heard that same quote, except they substituted "AOL users" for "Monkeys".

What will the future bring? Well, Sadly, it will definitely bring 2 more Star Wars films. But that's another matter entirely.

Perhaps when we get the DVD format up to the a reasonable leve of storage (IBM said future DVD's will have 16 ply's of foil) we'll get MDM's based on read/write DVD's. That would be exciting. Sure, it's digital, but it's NOT magnetic media. Another step in the right direction. Media storage will take up less shelf space as well.

Naturally, gear will get better since technology should continue to rise as prices fall. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I have to insert Bob's caveat about good gear not equalling talent or good results (which I happen to agree with), here.

Small studios will get better because of this paradigm shift, but big studios will still kick our collective asses since they have better designed environments in which to track and mix.

Forums like this help educate people. Hopefully the net will be used to offer quality education to the masses, at inexpensive prices (if not free, after all, I am a linux user). Perhaps even Ed (after all, he's the best guy up here), Roger, and George will teach a few of these online classes.

The idea of mass, non-local storage is probably coming, but it scares me from a security standpoint. If it's there, I'm certainly not going to store anything critical there, and even at that I'll insist on some sort of public-key crypto system with proven 128-bit ciphers protecting everything.

The idea of being able to use the net to send finished mixes to my mastering engineer is convenient. DSL and cable modems are making that possible. Then he can send it back, and you can listen locally to see if you like....

Digital technology will improve to the point of being able to perfectly emulate the warmth of all things analog. That might piss a lot of analog guys off (and I'm one of them) but I'm also a computer-geek and a realist, and I know it's inevitable. After all, just 4 years ago Garry Kasparov said a computer wouldn't be able to defeat him in a chess match, in his lifetime... next thing ya know, he got his ass whooped by an IBM chess computer named Deep Blue.

I think it was Einstein who once said (paraphrasing), "The universe is weirder than we imagine, and weirder than we CAN imagine." and that applies here. The best breakthroughs in technology will be things we hadn't even thought of... and they'll be totally cool and bitchin.

But I'm a firm believer in a good balance of the old with the new, so no matter how cool the latest digital schmigital gear gets, I'll still mic my vocals with a U-67 (I've had good results with it).

The SETI At Home project will eventually find evidence of intelligence in another star system.

And finally, the Rolling Stones will do their final album and put the whole damn thing to rest!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Rich...

#973946 04/22/00 05:03 AM
O
O
Very interesting topic!

Just judging from my own experiences in the past 15 years, things really have changed...at least the procedures.

10 years ago I got myself a home setup to do arrangements and pre production...of course to save expensive studio time, and to be able to play around more freely with ideas before presenting them to the clients.
This meant that I could spend maybe 10% of my time at home, and with an identical setup in the studio I could just carry the samples and sequencer data with me there.

Now I have a full blown Pro Tools setup at home, and I'm even doing mixes here. (Of course I have a bunch of analog gear too...Urei's, Api's etc)
I'll do all the preperations and basic tracks at home, and then just book the studios for the instruments that I can't do here. (Bands, drums, strings etc.)
But all editing and single instrument overdubs are usually done at home. I actually prefer to do lead vocals here...and it seems like the artists feel more at ease this way too.
Another advantage is off course to be able to spend more time with your family, instead of being away for months in some studio.

For mixing I always start off by myself, and get everything ready and playing before the clients even arrive. They just come the last two days, and I load the mixes up so we can make the final adjustments together and print them.

I have even had tracks sent to me trough the net...usually single tracks (like a lead vocal remake) ...works fine.

Some clients don't even bother coming, and just want me to send a mp3 file of the final mix to approval (could also be SDII or AIFF files)

It seems to be the trend here (Denmark) that producers and engineers build PT setups instead of hiring the major studios for the mixing and dubbing....at least for pop/dance projects.

The major studios suffer a lot from this, and have to re-evaluate their purpose and niche...especially the big mixing rooms. (wich of course all have had to invest in Pro Tools too)
It seems to be hard to convince the producers (me and others) to spend the extra money to come and mix our projects on an SSL 9000j instead of just doing it in our own place.
The clients don't seem to notice any difference (!) anyway...and are happy to pay less for the mixing.

I agree with you that music doesn't sound any better objectively now than in the past 30 years (we still favour the old technology soundwise), but the methods have changed a lot...and the skills we need to operate and get good results on this new technology is a whole new challenge.

Your thoughts on a cyber location for storage is very exciting...I'd like if I could even bring an interface into my car, and make adjustments to the mixes while cruising around the neighbourhood
Maybe even call my favourite guitar player from the car, and make him add a guitar part while driving around?

There seem to be very few young engineers with acoustic recording skills emerging, but a bunch of midi and DAW magicians.
It seems to be more important (at least in much of the techno/dance based music) to be able to create funny filter effects, than to make a great sounding record. Also much of this music is based on pre recorded samples/beats and boxes or synths with a very hyped sound...so not much treatment is needed to make it sound "right".

If the record labels make more money on this kind of music, it is hard to convince them to give "real" music the budgets needed to do it properly.

Another aspect is that peoples perception of sound changes....soon a vox amp will only be something we know from a plug-in, and nobody will care what it sounds like in real life (?)

I guess good ears and the ability to create something that excites people, will always be the most important skill....the rest is definately changing fast.

Just some thoughts

#973947 04/22/00 05:38 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
some thoughts:

We are F**ked for getting paid in the future if college kids keep going, putting copyrighted work on the net for free.

Like Doug, I'm into "track 'n go studios", solid tracking studios with good drum rooms and iso booths for guitars and vocals. Book em for a few days (I wheel in a Pro Tools rig, dont bother with tape) split, then complete the project at home in a DAW. The bands I have done this with so far have enjoyed it.

My view is that however the industry turns out, acts will always welcome an objective 2nd pair of ears or "producer' on their music. I feel the role of producer secure for some time to come, it's just how acts, producers and studios will get paid that worries me.

Prediction: Live music might become the main 'earner' in an artists career. Perhaps in the future seeing a "real person" perform live will become a rare and very expensive treat. Perhaps recordings (all free or pirated) will just become promotions for live shows....

The peace movement in the 60' seemed to bring out some good rebellious music. Do we need another big war to gets some good tunes out?

No foreseeable change in the old adage, 'things were better in the old days'

As soon as the question, "how can we actually make some money out of music distributed via the internet" is answered, the effect will be like a starter pistol at a race or the scramble for land in the wild west.Until then, the general idea seems to be to, get them to come (to the web sites) and we will figure it out (how to earn money) later......

Record companies, wildly hated by acts without contracts, are generally unpopular entities, their downfall is genuinely looked forward by many music lovers.

Jules

[This message has been edited by Julian standen (edited 04-22-2000).]

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
#973948 04/22/00 06:39 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
You know, I never leave my apartment much anymore. I can do all I have to from here. I love it. But I hate myself for loving it.

So we might not catch the Flu from venturing out amongst the masses, but we won't catch much fun either.

Even though we all can get, virtually, anything we want online, at home, delivered, via cell phones, or recording a guitarist from our cars while he sits in his Hot Tub, we're missing a lot of life.

We HAVE to get back to some NATURAL stuff, no matter how technically advanced the World gets.

AND, I'm the biggest offender of them all!! (Well, almost).

But, after reading these boards for the last few months, I've decided it's not going to totally suck me in, no matter HOW out of date I will seem to the 10 year old kids that can kick ALL our asses, when it comes to computer/digital/technology skills, or at least will be able to by the time they reach puberty!!

GO OUTSIDE!!

MEET people in person.

Take a walk, no beeper or cell phone!!

AND this is coming from someone who thinks "roughing it" is when room service is slow!!

I'm going to refuse to turn into an electron.

Thanks to you all; you've convinced me.

Virtual studios can wait for a while.

I actually TALKED ON THE PHONE to a fellow board poster today, AND IT WAS GOOD!!

I THINK I'LL GO HANG OUT WITH HIM SOMEPLACE, AND PLAY ACOUSTIC GUITAR!!

Summer's coming. I'm riding a bike, going to the beach, and using an internal combustion engine. I won't use Email or the Web for a week!!

AND, I'll...I'll...I'll... UNPLUG MY COMPUTER!!

And Rich, AOL users ARE Monkeys.

Happy Holidays all.

Go see your families. Have dinner with them.

This stuff will still be here when you get back!!

TOMMORROW'S EARTH DAY!!

End of soapboxing.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973949 04/22/00 07:28 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Quick finger count reveals that Doug, OliP and myself are advocates of the new 'Track & go' method of tracking at a big studio, then completing the project at home.
Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#973950 04/22/00 08:16 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i did no web/email for a week, massive withdrawals.

the future is big and bold but far too long while i grow old. caught on the slipstream of a dying analog world seeing digital unfold. the meek dont inherit the earth, the geeks do. 7 letters off.

what is a sound anyways? they are only representations of what each person thinks they are and that can vary from person to person. a cool filter is just as cool as a vox. below 60hz is a wonderful liquid world. the frequency is so large kenneth, the smiley faces can go away.

some big studios will be for musicians who are too stupid to buy their own equipment and have the money. nobody will lose their job since it will be a gradual change but they will fade away over time replaced by musicians creating their own music. musicians will in turn become brands. the new filter for music will be those who do it and those who talk about doing it. not some A&R guy.

recorded music will become a free product for promotion of what bands should be doing anyways, playing live. after all, people do want to get out sometimes, right bob? besides music is free already if you want to listen to the flavor of the week. why buy the album when the songs is shoved in your face everywhere you turn? do you want to hear it AGAIN?

mixing boards will connect to HDrecorders to effects all automatable and INSTANT RECALL with no patch cords to plug, no solder to melt, no copper to oxidize, no alcohol to swab. nope. just bugs in the software.
technology keeps prices dropping with more powerful products. i can buy an 18g drive for what i bought a 9g drive a year ago for. i can buy a better computer cheaper than a year ago but the one i have still works fine, ill just wait a little while longer. i bought a slew of pluggo effects for $74, a rack of em. their website has new ones for FREE.

so while the old school is sitting on their purist asses, the future is churning away bit by bit. going in millions of directions.

i think the music sounds better today than 30 years ago. you(as in whoever was around) just remember it that way because tv wasnt a big thing 30 years ago and music was larger in the populations life. god forbid an internet. the world was also very naive leading up to a lot of what happened in the 60's and it was the first awareness to delete some old corrupted files from the human database, thats where the magic was, not the analog process. music was the soundtrack. now music is more of a SELF awareness or spiritualiy. the genres have multiplied at a rapid rate. some music is unclassifiable. some spans several genres. more music is produced now in peoples rooms than all studios combined. you might not find it at tower, but its out there. i've seen bands just as great as 'who led rolling beatles'. enough to make a fan jump from the balcony, of course it could of been the drugs, but wasnt it the same thing 30 wars ago?

and if you need a war to write about, go after the drug war. there are already 2.5 million POW's. jails are a booming business (slave labor).

dont count out the young because that is where the future is. they will be the ones to shape it how they see fit because they will be around longer than you.

[This message has been edited by alphajerk (edited 04-22-2000).]

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
#973951 04/22/00 08:39 AM
E
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
E
Great post,
A couple of days ago, as I was heading in my car to the studio, I was hoping that the electricity would go out today.......and maybe stay off for a little while........
ec

#973952 04/22/00 08:43 AM
E
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
E
By the way, I still think that it's a miracle that the music can come down the wire like it does.
ec

#973953 04/22/00 09:10 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
me too, and how it can be contained and released at will.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#973954 04/22/00 10:18 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
Though all this wonderful technical advancement will let us edit, transfer, re-tune, transmorgify, and polish material, IT DOESN'T MATTER- although it takes up a lot of my time lately...

Less expensive gear lets some great music finally get recorded well that didn't have enough mass appeal to be signed and supported thirty years ago.

Of course, for every good CD that sees daylight because it can finally be made, there are a hundred (a thousand?) that totally suck.

I think a lot of new records sound lousy- whether they are done 24bit system or not is irrelevant. A lot of the recording is done by musicians who have no professional level engineering chops, but have a home studio. And now, I fear, a lot of the mixes will be getting done that way as well.

The best players I know devote their lives to their instrument and have little time left for anything else. Their musical obsessions revolve around their art, and is usually tightly focussed.

A few things that will always be of value:
1. A good mic
2. A good pre
3. A good acoustic space

The real rarity and pleasure: great musicians, great writers, great singers.

recorded well.

#973955 04/22/00 12:11 PM
L
Gold Member
Gold Member
L
I think that the future will be interesting. Just look at what has transpired since the ADAT was announced. A computer that is the equivalent of am IBM XT can be made the size of a grain of salt (the military will be using them within 2 years for surveillance and they are going to use them for weather related things like studying tornadoes). I think that big studios will always be around. I think that be big problem in the music biz is not home studios but the demise of live venues for musicians to develop and for audiences to enjoy. My teenage kids have never gone to a dance where a live band was playing!
Buddy

#973956 04/22/00 06:16 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Well Alpha, we sort of agree, at least on SOME points.

I don't EVER count out the young !!

THEY ARE ALWAYS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO, OR OTHERS BELIEVE!!

We have no choice.

And they already think your an old, out of it, jerk, no matter WHAT you think!!

You already proved this by thinking the "Future" will be Hard Disc recorders. They've been out for a few YEARS, you old fart!!

Even the dreaded MP3 players, (which you know I like so much), use Flash memory, and the Sony ones an even newer method. Pretty soon recordable atoms will be an old storage medium

The "Old School". You mean horrible Engineers like Al Schmidt or Bruce Sweiden?

I HAVE to say, no matter how long you live, if you could be 1/100th as good as any one of them, in your ANY type of Digital/Atomic/Crystal storage World, you would be Fantastically blessed, and should immeditely get on yor knees, and count your blessings!!

I'm not holding my breath from my wheelchair in the nursing home that I'll see you surpass those "hacks", though.

Music sounds BETTER than it did 30 years ago?

Some of the actual recorded sounds may be more dynamic, and of a higher fidelity(?) than back then, but that's DEFINETLY argurable.

Anything sound as good as an old Frank Sinatra record, with Count Basie, or some other large orchestra, done in Mono with three mics, all live, that was recorded before we were all born?

Listen REAL carefully to one of those recordings before you snap to judgment!!

New stuff is different, maybe; better? Ask EVERYONE, not just those with vested interests.

By the way, I'm not really a Frank Sinatra Fan; I've just recently opend up my closed mind to those recordings, and they BLOW ME AWAY!!

Remeber one of Roger's posts, where he said Digital sounded more like the actual Band playing than Analogue did?

I think he meant TODAY.

Listen to those recordings, and you can't tell if you are actually in the large room at Capitol with them, or at home!!

Finally, one of my most biased and most passionate subjects.

You have NOT heard a band as good as The Beatles were. If you think you did, write their names on a piece of paper, seal it in an envelope, and read it in 30 years, and see if you even remember what the subject was you had written about. I'm sure you'll find it was not a daily houseold word, or a World changing event.

Why, we wouldn't even be worrying about Analogue vs. Digital, or have recording consoles, or software, or the tons of companies that now make the products that you brag about being able to use at home, or the studio, not even counting the plethora of musical instruments available, if it wasn't for the effect The Beatles had on the Music Industry!!

It EXPLODED after they came out. The day after they played on the Ed Sullivan show, the World changed. Whether you're too young to remember it or not, it's true.

What happen the day after your favorite new band came out?

Of course, we must give Thomas Edison, and Les Paul, and Elvis their due, but the day after The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan 50 thousand companies started making guitars, amps, keyboards, mixers, effects, speakers, recorders, etc.

You're even smoking your little joints because of their influence on making drugs a more acceptable part of the culture. So when you speak of political prisoners in jail for drugs, think of the fight that The Beatles fought to make pot a less shocking subject in the 1960's.

No one got busted for drugs at Woodstock, 1969.

People knocked over PA towers and set them on fire at Woodstock 1999.

All I know is in the future, when I'm dead, I want the same thing that Rassand Roland Kirk said he wanted, before he died:

"Burn my body, and put the ashes in a nice bag of Pot for some cats to smoke"

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973957 04/22/00 06:49 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
the FUTURE Mix Fix, The FUTURE!

BTW this may be a little 'out there'. We have been, of course referring to the 'Western world' in this thread, as it's what we here all know.

While it's hard to imagine third world countries coming up with anything that impacts on our profession at the moment, with the internet being the great 'leveller' who knows what the future holds? Perhaps a new file format from Pakistan, Iran or Russia might be the way forward in the future!
How chinese people get their audio downline, (most internet is via moblie phone as the cable systems are old) could be interesting to keep an eye on.

Music, it's a world thing! I think too many people regard the internet as 'American" which is big mistake in my view.

In a cab on my way to the airport in New York last fall, the Indian cab driver struck up a conversation with me. He revealed that he & his brother owned a recording studio in Bombay and picked up a Pro Tools manual off the front seat as proof! (He was going to night school to study sound for film & post) We had a good old chat!

Tune in to world beat!

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#973958 04/22/00 09:36 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Jules:

Okay.

I still don't quite get how Iran's Internet or Recording developments relate to my post.

Or if Indians use Pro Tools (isn't that the Present)?

I was only refering to the past when defending the "old School" engineers like Schmidt and Sweiden, and their great work, as well of that of The Beatles.

MAYBE someday, there will be an impact as big as The Beatles were.

But Alpha was saying he's heard bands as good, already. That's the past, too.

And Hard Discs are the present/past.

Even the Diamond Rio MP3 players are, quickly slipping into the past.

The Real Future?

No moving parts (except on the sub-atomic level). That's about as much as I can predict with any degree of certainty.

Plus, we will die, destroy our planet, even more than we already have, pelple will still hate and kill, and greed and power will still rule.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd bet I'm not.

Take all that, translate it into the "Music Business", and you have it's Future.

Which, is the exact same as the past, only different.

Your kid's will think your out of touch, just like you're parents did about their's.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973959 04/22/00 10:20 PM
B
Gold Member
Gold Member
B
Steven Spielberg flatly said during this past year that computer animation is getting so good that it is only-a-matter-of-time before you WILL NOT be able to tell whether the humans on screen are real actors or computer-generated. The moment is approaching. You can imagine for yourself what that means for the future of actors, directors, producers, technicians, sound stages, studio lots ...all of it. Who will be making the Oscar winning films? My guess is ...kids. Kids with garage and bedroom movie studios. Sound familiar?

My take on the future of music? Teac's release to the masses of the 3340 and then the 80-8 in the 70's provided the writing on the wall. We are now midstream in the transition. And I believe that some of the BEST music of the last 30 years is being made this moment. That will continue as the technology gets more into the hands of the masses. Whatever my sentimentalities and memories of the industry as it was, I do believe that we are in a natural technological evolution that is good for the kids, and good for the music.

#973960 04/22/00 10:57 PM
B
B
"some big studios will be for musicians who are too stupid to buy their own equipment......."
Do you actually like music? So, to you, is Bob Dylan too stupid to buy his own equipment? He doesn't WANT to own equipment. He wants to write songs and then go into a recording environment where people on his level do what they do: record music. You are truly fooling yourself, or better put, missing out, if you actually think 'records' sound better today. This simply is not a fact. The other day a mid 1950's clip of Ricky Nelson with James Burton, a Bass player and Drummer, came on T.V. I called for my wife to come into the room and listen for a moment. As we gazed at the screen of my twenty year old mono Sony T.V., I quickly got up and headed for the stereo. "What are you doing?", she asked. Check this out....as I hit play on the Lauren Hill gazzillion track C.D.. It, litteraly, sounded this (thumb & index finger a 1/4" apart) big. The 50's recording sounded like the side of a building. I love the L.Hill record as well as anything Jon Brion produces and MANY others. But time, like it's impact on most things in life, will bear this out. It already has for many of us. As Phil Ramone likes to say, "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 & a Porta-Studio, you're not going to get a good sound with a C12 and 48 track Digital recorder. I have been blessed to call Al Schmitt a dear friend for fourteen years. I have NEVER heard him talk about a single piece of equipment. I have been to dinner (at one sitting) with Al Schmitt, Alan Sides, Bill Schnee and Tommy Lipuma. Two hours and ten minutes.....no gear talk. Equipment to them is like a new suit, or a new sofa in the living room. Nice. No big deal. If it makes getting the music on tape easier and actually sounds better....great. If not....great! As Bob Clearmountain will respond when asked "What mics do you like to use on drums?" "Who's the drummer? What's the song? What day is it??" It's not the pivotal question and or point. It's the music. The MUSIC. If you could 'beam down' Keith Richards into your studio, have him set-up a rig complete with a Tele with no low E string, into a Twin, tweaked, mic'd....this is my sound(says Keith). Now he hands YOU the guitar. Do you actually think it will even remotely sound the same when you play it? Of course not. It's called 'bone tone'. Al has bone tone when he mic's an orchestra, records and mixes all 64 pieces in no time with NO EQ!! And, not to get off on another rant......but defending 'lack' of knowledge, to me, is absurd at best! I truly believe this shared attitude is at the heart of some of our bigger social problems. No one wants to learn anything. You don't have to go to Berklee, as everyone likes to talk about. But wouldn't it feel better if the next time you recorded Omar Hakim and he asked you to punch in and out of the last 16th note of bar eleven you could say, "Sure!!" And by the way....every orchestra date I have ever been on with Al Schmitt, the entire score sits on the console. When Johnny Mandell asks Al to go two bars before letter 'H'.....well, you get it.

Sincerely,Benjy King

Benjy
#973961 04/22/00 11:30 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Yea, Benji!!

Of course, YOU know the way I feel. I'm glad another REAL PRO is voicing his opinions on these boards!!

And Bookumdano:

Do you actually think that having a film done entirely in a computer is a GOOD thing?

No humans!!??

Just animation?

I thought it was called "video games", which is about the quality of the movies and music that mostly exist now.

Just because we CAN do something. doesn't mean we SHOULD do it, or it's any better.

Go buy an automatic gun and shoot a bunch of kids, okay?

You CAN, you know!!??

It's done about once a month now.

And, even when YOU went to school, I'll bet you didn't have to go through metal detectors!!

Steven Spielburg can suck my...thumb.

"ET, call home!!"

What a Fucking Genius Piece of Art that was!!

Duke Ellington said it best, and it will ALWAYS be true.

"There are only TWO types of Music. Good Music, and Bad Music".

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 04-22-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#973962 04/23/00 12:17 AM
B
Gold Member
Gold Member
B
Well Mix Fix,

You are certainly not alone in your view that there is "good music and bad music." And I'm sure you are not alone in your view that making a movie on a desktop computer (without other people involved) is perhaps not a good thing. You have also given your opinion of the validity of Spielberg's work. Lots of people are comfortable with boxing things into defining terms. That's okay.

I just see art as art. I see an exciting technological future revealing itself to those who create art. For me, all tools are valid and all art is valid because at the most basic level, art touches the soul and connects people. Not all people. Not all the time. But the connection is always made at some level when art is created by one of more humans. After you sort through all the garbage, connection is the reason for all of this. To use the tools of your trade to fulfill an artistic vision..and then to connect with someone with that vision, is to share yourself at the deepest level there is.

#973963 04/23/00 02:19 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i hate to break it to you, but the beatles were spielbergs ET. and they werent the first to bring drugs to the music. ken kesey was doing it long before with the grateful dead when the beatles had short hair. i enjoyed the beatles for a while but then they got boring.

and its americanized because we do it first and better. the english just copied and commercialized it. it was black america who changed the world. elvis, the great white hype. the stones (no offense ed), led zepplin (ask willie dixon), others.

bob dylan is old... not what i was referring to for the FUTURE, he aint in it, hes got one foot in the grave already. musicians of the future will have the skills and know better what sound they want for their guitar, vox, drum, or bass.

frank zappa is a better example. he owned his own studio. so byte my ass benji. i do think music sounds better, so what? just because youre a snobbish asshole doesnt change my opinion. i didnt think this was a thread for arguements, merely to state what we individually saw for the future. none of us can be right and none can be wrong, the future is always unwritten and one day out of reach.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#973964 04/23/00 06:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey, I liked 2 Spielberg's films. Duel and Schindler's List. Great cinema.

But I'm not sure how discussing the Beatles necessarily applies to the future.

I believe another form of mass storage that we will be recording to, will be smartcards. Right now they're in digital cameras, and I think they're up to 64 megs on the largest cards. It's only a matter of time before they're 64 gigs and we've got our latest projects on them.

Whether or not music today "SOUNDS better" means so little.

Sounds better HOW???? Today we have lower noise floors and more dynamic range. So I guess music MIGHT sound better today. Then some masstering guy crushes the dymanics out of it and it's gone. Does it sound better? Who knows, I don't.

Sadly I think (actually, I know) being a talented musician is becoming less a requirement as time goes by. I hope that changes, but I suspect it won't. All we need to survive is microwavable food, news sound-bites, and crappy music.

Sign me up.

On 2nd thought, kill me now.

Rich...

#973965 04/23/00 10:13 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
how music sounds better today: to my ears it has more range top to bottom in the frequency. 30 years ago it was highly concentrated in the midrange, now its opened up. thats just what my ears tell me and i like it better. so sue me. im not talking about the actual talent of the playing, god knows there hasnt been another hendrix.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#973966 04/23/00 10:26 AM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk:
how music sounds better today: to my ears it has more range top to bottom in the frequency. 30 years ago it was highly concentrated in the midrange, now its opened up. thats just what my ears tell me and i like it better. so sue me. im not talking about the actual talent of the playing, god knows there hasnt been another hendrix.

Read 'Miles' autobiography ('mother fucker'). Not only a great experience, but it has a line re: how the technology [i.e.:the "playback" system...or your stereo) got HIGHER...."better" ...then the playing got higher..."better". Higher. Louder. In other words, they didn't play up in a certain register because nothing played 'back' in that range. Think about it! That flipped me out. Not unlike all of human nature. just a product of our environement.

Benjy

Benjy
#973967 04/23/00 07:50 PM
J
JES Offline
J
Today's music sounds better to me because I live in today. I like a lot of old stuff as well, but there are constantly new things coming out (admittedly, less and less on major labels) that really speak to me, move me, whatever. Maybe the playing or engineering technique isn't as good as on some older record somewhere -- the guitarist in my favorite rock band admits he can't solo to save his life, but he's a damn fine songwriter; their next-to-last album was overcompressed on the master; they'll never be big like the Beatles, but really SO WHAT? -- the music is better because it isn't just in my world, but was made in my world. It's that simple. I'm old enough not to be as young as my students and young enough not to be "old" -- and I kind of worry about the day I'll look out at the musical landscape and say "nothing today is as good as back in the day."

--JES

#973968 04/23/00 07:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We don't need another Hendrix, we already had one.

Rich...

#973969 04/23/00 09:32 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Shall we look forward from an engineering / production perspective instead of a curmugeonly look back at music and it's history post Leadbelly?

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#973970 04/23/00 11:51 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Bookumdano:

I agree with your last post.

Jerk:

Not that we measure the quality of Music by drugs, but there were drugs in Music long before Jerry Garcia or Ken Kesey were born.

And The Beatles were doing speed in 1960 in Hamburg.

IF you knew anything about Music, and the chord changes they innovated, not the R&R they ripped off from the Black American Artists, which they've always freely admitted, you could never compare them to "ET" and Spielburg. Maybe Woody Allen's "Manhatten", or Scorcese's stuff (Film Snob talking, but then again you think "Stars Wars " is better than "Blade Runner" because it has such neat explosions!!).

But, as Jules said, this is supposed to be about the future.

So, I think I'll be dead, and don't really give a shit.

But, frankly, the "Future Shock" stuff just hasn't happened for me.

Everything is going way too slow. We can't even cure the common cold yet!!

As far as the future in Music; Maybe you're just too involved to see it, but it has NOTHING to do with Music anymore.

It has to do with Business and Money.

Do you think all these companies are making stuff that you can use at home to further the Art, or so that the average guy can record at home?

GROW UP!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!

If the stuff didn't sell, but computer generated Crack making programs did, then all the "Artistically" minded companies would be on that software like a fly on shit, as soon as they paid off the right Politicians to make Crack legal.

Is that not just so obvious?

When Rupert Neve started his little company, he wanted to make money, yes, but he actually (I believe) wanted to make a GOOD product, to improve the Art.

When Siemens bought him out, do you think that's what they were thinking?

Do you think Harmon bought all those companies up to "further" the Art and Technology?

Why, after a product comes out, do 20 other companies try and make the same thing for less? For the love of Technolgy and Art, or the dough?

Do you think you'd be able to buy your computer for any other reason than the company that makes it wants to be on NASDAQ?

Ever hear of Market Research?

If Digidesign found out they could make more money, with less costs, and fewer employees, making solar powered roller blades, Pro Tools would be history, in a nano-second

So, what about the future of recording?

I see a "dumbing down" to reach a larger marketplace.

Software that corrects pitch, and time, and even writes music. Oh wait... we HAVE that already!!

Stuff that will let 14 year old girls become Brittany Spears in their houses using their computers will go through the roof.

Think I'm wrong? I can't give away any details, but it's on the way.

Just tell the manufacturers that you have no talent, and want to make Muzak, and have the money to buy the gear, and it will be there.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I must agree with most, and say no, because it gives access to of the technology to almost everyone; sort of like "Punk Socialism".

Is it going to give us more Art?

Certainly. Looking back again, (sorry), but the from Dada-ists, to Jazz, to Rock and Roll to Punk, it ALWAYS has.

Will that be BETTER Music and Art?

It will be if you like Big Macs.

I know I'm out of it, but so are all of you, no matter HOW "Today, Felix, Today", you think you are.

Your sperm (eggs) are way ahead of where you'll ever be, and you'll soon be talking about the good old days of Pro Tools, and how can these kids have those White Noise implants and believe that that is Music/Art?

What will store and play the Muzak?

Whatever is bigger and smaller and cheaper.

I'll use whatever it is. I do now. I can have preferences and opinions, like we all do, but you know what they say, "Opinions are like Assholes; we all have one"

And "Awards are like Hemorrhoids. Sooner or later every Asshole gets one".

Let's record our Music, or Muzak, on whatever we have at any given time, try and make it as good as we can, accept the future, and not take this all so seriously.

It's not brain surgery, you know.

It's just Imperialism, disguised as Technology, but we all have to eat.

Hope every one remembered Earth Day.

Happy Easter/Passover/Holiday/Sunday/Whatever you call today.

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 04-23-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#973971 04/24/00 03:51 AM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Jesus! What was that? A last gasp dying croak? Were the spaces where you were drawing breath from an oxegen mask?
Hello Hal, do you want to play a game? Something wonderfull is going to happen! Cue monoliths and spacemen watching an old man eat dinner.

"But, as Jules said, this is supposed to be about the future. So, I think I'll be dead, and don't really give a shit.'

Well you are POSTING ON THE WRONG THREAD THEN aint ya?

Sheesh!

Good health and a long life!

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#973972 04/24/00 08:58 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Jules:

Thanks for the good wishes for health and a long life, but I don't think that I'm much older than you, if at all.

I think you missed the point.

It was just my little speech on how the future of the music business will be controlled by the Multi-National Corporations making the toys we all love, and not by any of OUR desires, wants, or needs, unless it is economically profitable for them.

Remember, but as an Englishman, probably lacking much American History knowledge, what Eisenhower said when he left office, "Beware of the Industrial Military Complex".

THEY control the technology and business, of which most record companies are involved. Not YOU, although you once posted something eluding to how you DO influence it in Britian.

And, by the way, those spaces in the post are called PARAGRAPHS.

I like to not cram everything into onelongunbrokenbuchofwordsthataredifficult
toreadwithnospaceinbetweendifferentideas,
ifyouknowwhatImean.

Friends?

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 04-24-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#973973 04/24/00 11:11 AM
C
C
Sorry- this is a "now" instead of future question, but I was wondering if you all think... alright, hypothetical, assuming:

1. George Martin stayed way up on, and uses, cutting-edge gear through the years (and has it all mastered).
2. That he didn't age (ears).
3. That he goes back in time, grabs the Fab 4 (while walking through the door at Abby Road?, they all magically end up in a new, state of the art studio, well-stocked, and he explains to them what the hell just happend).

Could he make Strawberry Fields sound exactly the same? (No analogue or digital preference -- everything's available to him -- and I'm assumming all-digital would be a no go)

By the way, everyone's thoughts, Alphajerk certainly included, are making great reading!!

#973974 04/24/00 03:26 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
BTW Mix Fix, I'm an American, living in London.

I bail from this thread!

See ya!

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
#973975 04/24/00 04:05 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
C.Cash

Since they always used cutting edge technology, I think The Beatles could cut it any way thet wanted, Analogue or Digital.

I still think they would use real Musicians playing on the tracks, though.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973976 04/24/00 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Sarcasm is very hard to convey and/or understand on the net... Please be nice!

Kris
My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04
#973977 04/24/00 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure Bill, scare Julian away!

The Beatles and George Martin would have been fine in a modern recording environment. After all, just listen to that thing Martin did with all of the big stars covering Beatles tunes.

An ex-boss once told me that he saw an old photo of a young George Martin, and that I looked like him. I'm hoping that's a good thing!

Rich...

#973978 04/25/00 05:55 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Kris:

I am always trying to be sarcastic. I thought that's what the little things were for.

If anybody got REALLY offended, I'm sorry.

I thought this was just supposed to be like a bunch of guys talking to each other in a bar or something. Let's not get our knickers all knotted up over opinions.

It's been fun for me to brain excercise.

I hope you have all thought of it in the same way.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973979 04/25/00 09:22 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
Bob-
I can tell that you have a lot of technical and musical skill, and I value your posts for what I can learn from you.

BUT Bob- all that good stuff gets to be so intertwined with your more sarcastic, combative side that I'm considering just skipping postings by "The Mix Fix" as too much pain. As far as the "Buncha guys in a bar" scenario goes, I think I prefer the bars where less brawling and yelling occurs. I follow these threads trying to learn something- often of a relatively technical nature. If the participants get into arguments that are, shall we say, less than polite, folks get offended and we get off topic pretty fast.Even if it seems like "good clean fun" to you, a thread can get long and off subject and a little adolescent.

You may think me a tad too touchy- I expect you do. But please consider the value of your knowledge and how much more useful it becomes when stated succiently.

thanks
ML

#973980 04/25/00 05:25 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Mark:

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep that in mind and try to be more technical and less potically passionate with my replies.

It's getting boring and time consuming to keep bickering, anyway.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973981 04/25/00 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mark, please forgive Bob, he's from Jersey!

One thing that I hope the future brings me (in NC, not Asheville) is a well designed room in which to mix. I'm tired of going to someone's studio and finding that there control room is a CUBE and that it resonates like crazy at several frequencies.

Where's Storyk when I need him!

Rich...

[This message has been edited by Richard V. Wielgosz (edited 04-25-2000).]

#973982 04/25/00 07:16 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Rich:

Are you being sarcastic again?

I can't tell?

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973983 04/25/00 08:51 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
re. Julian's post:

You've got something a lot worse to fear than MP3 bootlegging.

In the words of Miles Copeland "hey, I may be just a peasant, man", but in past few years I've witnessed a rapid shift in people's willingness to accept basically anything as "product".

What I mean is that it would seem people today are not exactly making choices any more based on self-examination of what they really like, but what they think people *think* they should like.

Kids have now grown up having listened to a sound track of Nintendo more than anything (as a guitar teacher by trade, I routinely get requests now to show kids how to play themes to video games - no kidding). They've also grown up listening to music based around a monotone rhythmic voice with no harmonic information (you know what music I'm talking about).

Likewise, a lot of the youth of today generally do not have the musical education to appreciate melody and harmony. They're also not attuned to subtly - except in detecting cliches in trends.

When I first heard on the radio that Sugar Ray song with the out of key parallel thirds riff I thought it was a joke. People started bringing this song to me to learn; when asked what they thought about the out of key part they just said "I don't know, it just sounds good to me"...

... and when Puff Daddy made a "song" out of talking over a Jimmy Page song, no one seemed to notice. When I asked people what they thought about it they all say "Puff Daddy is a genius!"... Now I hear the new Kid Rock is Metallica's "Sad but True" almost in it's entirety.

The point is that no one apparently notices or cares that it's blatantly taken from somewhere else. I hear many complaints of small studios stealing business from larger ones: this is happening because people can't tell the difference anymore. I cite this because chances are getting good that the artistry involved in a brilliant recording/mix is getting lost in the banality/truth ratio.

If I was in position as Mssrs. Cherney, Nichols and Massenberg I would be very concerned that the populace as a whole is losing the ability to appreciate why they're paid to be who they are. MP3's will innevitably dilute the profitability of the business, but more specifically the increasing attitude of music as a *disposable commodity* should be more of a concern.

Perhaps the psychological adjustment from the nature of carefully handling vinyl records to recklessly grabbing a cd is to blame, but I think it's more the political acceptance of "hey, everybody can be a musician/engineer - or ARTIST" is at fault. The future of recording is one of generic competance I am afraid.

Or maybe not, I've just been in a particularly disparaging mood of late, sorry.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com
Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien
#973984 04/26/00 11:06 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
Chip- I agree, but am not as despondent as you seemed to be when you posted.

Thank god I'm not being asked to teach kids the themes to their video games!!

Regardless of the lousy trends in the commercial music business- all the shit you referred to, there is still plenty of great music out there that will be there regardless of the current trends. I do alot of early music, classical, and choral stuff. Now those folks value hi-fi! Also latin ( I just did a Cuban Danson group with flute, clarinet, 3 percussionists, bass, piano, vocals, strings, and tres). Also lots of jazz and jazzy hybrids. All these musicians value hi-fi over sheer volume, do minimal or no drugs, pay their bills, and have no interest in becoming their own engineers- they are too busy playing and learning music to get into that.

I also suspect they know that it takes a lifetime to learn to engineer as well as the engineers they hire who have spent a lifetime learning to engineer, and they want the records they play on to sound GOOD.

I believe the ability to release a CD cheaply means there are more unusual musics being financed. The budjets are low but adequate- and the music is very intellectually and spiritually rewarding.

I hope you have other creative outlets to balance the teaching blues...

ML(my real initials!!)

#973985 04/26/00 04:33 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Chip:

I think you should check out my posts and Benjy King's posts on George's board, under "The MOST important thing", and a few others where We both get slammed for saying that most engineers today lack a sufficient degree of Musical Knowledge.

I've been criticized for getting too passionate about a subject or straying from the topic, so I'll leave it at that, for now.

And Mark, sure, SOME people/clients are great to work with and care about what their stuff sounds like.

But, how about MOST of them, especially in the "Top 40", Pop, R&B, and Rap/Hip Hop and similar catagories to which Chip seems to be refering?

It seems like you're Musically educated, as well.

AND you are damn lucky to not have kids ask you to teach them video game "songs", or to get such a great selection af Artists with which to work.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973986 04/26/00 06:31 PM
B
B
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Lemaire:

Regardless of the lousy trends in the music business, there is still plenty of great music out there..... All these musicians value hi-fi over sheer volume, do minimal or no drugs, pay their bills, and have no interest in becoming their own engineers- they are too busy playing and learning music to get into that.

I also suspect they know that it takes a lifetime to learn to engineer as well as the engineers they hire who have spent a lifetime learning to engineer, and they want the records they play on to sound GOOD.

I believe the ability to release a CD cheaply means there are more unusual musics being financed. The budjets are low but adequate- and the music is very intellectually and spiritually rewarding.

Mark,
I couldn't agree more. Just when you think it's all 'dreck' out there. For myself, living in NYC...working in very competitive studios, you can get a 'blinders' effect. No peripheral vision. Then I walk into this studio in the Pocono Mountains(PA.) and open up an Alligator Records catalog. WOW!! It's still a big world out there.

Benjy

Benjy
#973987 04/26/00 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My future is a future with no cables... everything is cordless..., oh and the virtual mixing Stephen St. Croix (sp?) of Mix magazine spoke of sounds fantastic... a screen over your eyes to see and sensors attached to your fingers, and with quality headphones, oh and waterproof, and I can mix in my hottub.

Kris

#973988 04/27/00 04:31 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
future of music to the end would be a direct connection to the brain which would record exactly what you imagined in your head. this would also be coupled with a visual device that you could do the music video at the same time.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#973989 04/27/00 06:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, what part of my previous post is unclear to you?

Pop music today BLOWS. It's as simple as that. For the most part we're all preaching to the choir here.

I won't mention any bands here by name, but do any of you fund yourself hating some bands that are generally regarded as good (or great) my many people? And I don't mean POP music bands here... I mean bands that might go down in history as being great, and yet when you listen to them, the truth is they're really not all they're cracked up to be?

I've been really lucky though. I've so far had the opportunity to record a lot of bands that play music I like, and would actually listen to in my down time.

Rich...

#973990 04/27/00 09:29 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Rich:

Huh?

I understood your post.

My JOKE about you being sarcastic?

If it's not that, then I don't get it. Are you just putting me on?

And Kris and Alpha.

I do that already, the mind mix stuff.

But come on. How lazy can we get? Isn't it FUN to turn knobs and push buttons, and see LEDs blink, and have girls think you actually know what you're doing?

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973991 04/27/00 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
In my scenario there are knobs and buttons, they are just virtual reality. And my virtual girls love it when I touch knobs and push buttons.

Kris

#973992 04/28/00 08:30 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Kris:

I've always said that recording engineers twist knobs and push buttons better!!

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#973993 04/28/00 06:38 PM
B
B
The blinking lights, actually being able to touch a dedicated knob, rolling down to the left to fix something(real estate). I like my hard drives and plugins too, but if the budget is okay and the musics ready then its off to the studio for me...
Replying to what Richard posted didnt pop music always suck accept for a few good musicians?

#973994 04/28/00 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's an interesting question, and the answer might be YES.

However, 20 years ago I could actually listen to pop music and not want to vomit. When I lsten to the oldie stations and listen to the stuff that old guys like Bob grew up on, I find that very listenable also.

But musical snobs like myself (and Bob) know where the good tunes are, and they aren't ont he radio.

Rich...

#973995 04/28/00 08:03 PM
B
B
There will always be a market for good music.
There will always be good music.
Technology will change.
Those in the midst of the change will always see it as "scary".

In the end the boxes and toys don't make music people do. Some will be fooled by the box, but real music will always come out.

The trend towards home studio's put some power in the "little guys" hands. I work on great music all the time (well, most of the time). The big problem is how to get that music out there. Right now the internet is to confusing and decentralized for people to find what they want.

This is a big and complicated issue so I choose to revert to my truest instinct, to concentrate on the music I have an effect on and trudge forward. I know it sounds simple, but the "big" answers always are.

Good luck in the Future....

#973996 05/06/00 03:31 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Blackwon 88:

I, too, like big consoles, knobs, and blinking lights, plus being able to coast around in the rolling chairs from one end of the 20 foot long console to the other.

It will be a shame if the "Magical Place" feelings you get when you enter a large, Pro Studio go away forever in the future.

Just remeber how cool it felt the first time you went into one. The atmosphere, the acoustics, even the smell of the room (electronic, not illegal) gave out an incredible vibe.

I still get chills, sometimes even now after years of engineering, when I walk into a new, big room.

If anyone doesn't think it's true, bring a friend who has never been into a REAL studio into a well equipped control room, with like a 72 input SSL, and a large tracking room, and see what they think.

The cameras always come out, and many young Ladies will go to "dinner" with you after you show them your "Big Board".

Or Young Men, not to be sexist, or forget to include some of you with different tastes.

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 05-06-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#973997 05/07/00 12:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, there's nothing like a wonderful "real" studio with a huge desk and excellent tracking rooms.

For me there's nothing like the smell of old electronic equipment either. It brings me back to the days of my youth when my grandfather (a self taught electronics wiz) would fix all sorts of his neighbors broken radios and TV's, AND take components from a variety of different places and make something unusual. He made his first hearing aid.

But I'm not sure I agree that there will always be a market for good music. Schools are dumbing down education and as corporatism expands even further with mergers the music seems to keep getting worse.

Despite what you've been told, our school systems are designed to produce automatons who fall in line, not bright people who think for themselves. And the deterioration of the quality of pop music seems to demonstrate it. I don't fear technology, and change is good. I'm a technology slut. But I do fear the direction popular music (and music in general) seems to be going. When there's only 100 people left in the world who want to hear a certain kind of music, it's safe to say that market doesn't exist. Except the way large corporations practice business today, 100,000 sales aren't even enough.

Rich...

[This message has been edited by Richard V. Wielgosz (edited 05-06-2000).]

#973998 05/07/00 08:17 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
yea, those nice big reflective surfaces are great right infront of you distorting the sound in their own unique way. might as well roll down to the end of the board to make an adjustment OUT of the sweet spot.

screw the blinking lights, give me a 60" gas plasma screen anyday. mounted right above the glass. looking right into a nice big tracking room.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#973999 05/07/00 09:24 AM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
Rich:

Getting a little Political, are we?

Starting to sound like me; watch it!!

You'll be hated, too, although you KNOW I agree with you!!

And Alpha:

Yup, ALL your favorite records were RUINED by having the reflections off the console surface distort their monitoring.

Ever see how most people put their speakers up in their houses, especially the Married ones, where the Wife wants the decor to be just so?

One on the floor, and one, sideways, on the bookshelf.

Can't WAIT to see how the speakers are going to be arranged in 5.1 suburban households.

Most people are not as nuts as we (I take that back, we EDUCATED ones) are about their Audio Theory, and put the speakers where they are convenient, or look good.

So, I guess that MASSIVE amount of distortion from the reflection off the console is TRULY important.

While mixing on NS-10s, too.

Are we making a fuss about nothing, or am I going crazy(er)?

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#974000 05/07/00 11:02 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
bob you just the crazy(est).

i would take the new sony dmxr100 hooked up to some mackie HDR's for a minute fraction of the price anyday. get some really nice mic pre's, AD's. man im drooling. i would garauntee the recording would sound as good if not better. assuming they are both in nice sounding rooms.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974001 05/07/00 12:09 PM
C
C
I wonder sometimes if there's really any need for more new music. Tower records could keep you busy for quite a few lifetimes. Rock, pop, rap etc. are young formats, but what's next? (The Beatles ruined it for everybody). Hasn't every scale been used to death already?

So we went through the hybrid Zydeco-meets-Opera-crossed w/ Emo-core influenced Bebop...(WAIT! I think that one's still available! MINE!). You know, all the blending of forms... still happening.

But good songs from the gut are always cool. And once in a while I hear something fresh and mind-blowing.

I'll tell you where the future is: Sine waves! At a club in Miami (they were playing the requisite techno) I saw something pretty... well, pretty something. This song - 4 on the floor typical - all of a sudden does this huge sweep from like 100Hz to 6k over an excrutiatingly tense 2 minutes or so. The place went berzerk. I could feel my mood change from the tension in that 2 minutes - it definitely had an imact on me as well.

So, I will make an album of test tones to bass drum beats. I might even throw in some white noise, just to show my creative side.

#974002 05/07/00 06:03 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
C.Cash:

Great idea!!

But just LEAVE the sine wave at, oh 60Hz or so, and modulate the White noise, and switch it to Pink, once in a while.

Like the Army does to get you to puke!!

Just throw in a free Ecstasy tablet with every CD (Whoops!! Miami:Club: = 12" single).

BUT, you MUST add the requsite distortion, like a Honda Civic with little chrome wheels and tinted windshields, driving down the street with the volume so loud, that I can hear the HIGH END for 1/2 mile!! (The Bass for 2 miles; I think it's going to rain!!)

Wonder what it must be like in that car?

And I LIKE to Monitor LOUD!!

21 year-old Kids with the hearing of 85 year old Men!! !!

You're correct. The Beatles did ruin it.

Using tape loops for sampling 33-34 years ago!!

They sould be ashamed of being SO creative!! Now what can everyone do!!??

And Alpha. Yea that sounds good. And cheap (inexpensive), too.

Why not set up that room, and I'll come down with a Band and use it? Finally get to meet you!!

Stil got your lights, or LEDs and stuff though.

------------------
Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

#974003 05/08/00 05:09 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i use those christams lights with the pattern selector for the light show. dammit if they dont just automatically align with the music everytime anyways.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974004 05/08/00 09:47 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by THE MIX FIX:
Like the Army does to get you to puke!!

No kidding? I have this goofy friend who likes to come up off-the-wall inventions that he never makes... Ever since I played a 100Hz test tone for him he's convinced the military should learn how to direct the freq. at concentrated area at an incredible SPL which (he's convinced) could cause an enemy-wide bowel movement. And they say you can pick your friends...

#974005 05/08/00 06:52 PM
T
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
T
C.Cash:

Yup, it's true!!

I'm not sure what frequencies or SPLs are used, but I KNOW they exist. Not only did I read an article about it once, but a few people I know who where in the Military told me about them.

So Your Friend has a "Military/Industrial Complex" mind.

Watch out for him!!

------------------
Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 05-08-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

#974006 05/08/00 07:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I remember, it's actually very low frequencies that cause the body to do weird things. Like below 20Hz.

My personal wish for the future (hopefully soon) is going to be a rack with some decent outboard mic pre's in it, and a few Distressors.

Rich...

#974007 05/08/00 11:55 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i did a banner ad once that gave people seizures. had it switching from black to white @ 10 cps.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
#974008 05/10/00 01:45 PM
C
C
Ed, before this thread disintegrates, could we hear your answer to your question? You would certainly have the inside word on how the pros feel in general. WILL the traditional role of the engineer become obsolete, in your opinion? For example, I've heard about newer internet streaming formats that will be able to send 24 tracks @ 96k, if the network/connections are up to snuff. How would this change the way you work, etc.?

and Alpha - that's cruel man!

#974009 05/10/00 08:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, you could send 48 tracks of 24/96 if the internet connection is up to snuff.

It's the snuff-ness that counts.

Rich...

#974010 05/12/00 09:49 AM
G
G
well....how about track rooms...much like chat rooms..everyone can log on under some cool name and pretend to be or actually be a major contributor to your project. once you get to know the person well enough (if theyre not some weirdo, artist pervert.) you can exchange emails and continue the relationship...maybe even exchange phone #'s and maybe once you siphon thru all the BS, put together some great "cyber tracks". Now there's a name for an internet recording studio...hehe. but you know what???...i remember this same question came up with me and some of my buds in 1969 when we tried to predict the future of recording technology and came pretty darn close. 48 tracks??..yeah right...i think the smoke was probably better then too.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard