Next Thread
Print Thread
#973920 03/27/00 04:03 PM
M
Madjef Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ed, I've heard rumors that your wife was or is
involved with the management of your career. Do you recommend that we all find managers to handle the business side. What are your thoughts?

#973921 03/29/00 08:57 AM
E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
Yeah, management. It has been my experience that a partnership, yeah partnership, with a good manager can really be a great thing. Like anything else, there are good and bad, but most really try to do the right thing. I do not have a manager....I could probably use one, but I just don't. My phone doesn't exactly ring off the hook, but it does ring enough with great music to work on that affords me this fabulous lifestyle. My wife, as President of a major studio in L.A. is very much involved with my career.....and of course is the boss of my personal life. She knows most of the folks that pay the bills at the major labels, so it does help to get us paid in a timely manner, which many times can be a problem if you have to wait 4 months to get paid. A combination of my wife and my lawyer keeps me from getting screwed around with, too much, and allows me to go to the studio with a clear head and heart, because I am protected from having to sit through negotiations, that by the time you actually start the record, you have no animosity to the folks that were hard balling you concerning your fee.
ec

#973922 03/29/00 01:11 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I've had 3 (two well known) and many wanting to,
I've found: their ability to cope in lean times, poor, they put me up for a lot of jobs that were crap, used my leads on new acts for their other producers, billed too much for expences and all wanted to be powerfull band managers deep down.
I am skilled in tracking down talent, I've come to realise this is a very valuable asset, and I don't want/need anyone hanging on for the ride. I feed a hip law firm I am tight with, new acts needing legal sevices, this you scratch my back I scratch yours deal, keeps my legal fees down to a comfortable admin charge level.
Not for me.
Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
#973923 03/29/00 09:01 PM
M
Madjef Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ed, thanks for that honest feedback.

peace

#973924 05/12/00 11:46 AM
G
G
manage yourself until you become plagued with
the "everyday run your life business". find management thru referral and go for it. my solution was marriage...my wife handles all the business end for me...she's damn good at it to. always gets our money on time and keeps the books balanced. she deals with our problems in a first class way. and she still makes sure we take time to have a life..so should your manager!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard