Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
B
I hope this isn't too off-topic or inappropriate. I love this board, and have the greatest respect for Ed. I understand the issue of non-disclosure in certain situations ...but where these rules don't apply, wouldn't it be cool to have a sideline area for "famous guest engineer tales"?

I used to read REP magazine in the good old days. I remember a long, great article about how Galuten and (can't remember the other guy's name) recorded one of the Bee Gees albums at Criteria. I was never a big Bee Gees fan, but boy that article was interesting..stringing 2" tape between 2 machines for sync issues, how they were using mics and the MCI recorders and consoles, effects....lots of song-by song details that made me run right out and buy some Bee Gees records so that I could listen to them from an engineer perspective.

And other REP articles dealt with things like the exact process that Dashut and Buckingham used for recording "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. I remember some cool info regarding the bass drum and plywood. Something that has actually helped me visualize and set up plug ins for drum room simulations.

And regarding other golden oldies...who was the guy that engineered the old top 40 song "Moonlight Feels Right"? How the heck did he stack, submix, or otherwise record all those polyphonic synth parts (those being the days before polyphonic synths existed). How was that record made in those old days of 8-16 track, pre-automation? Who was that guy?

Moving into more modern times, I'd even like to hear the details of how Ricky Martin's album was engineered completely with Pro Tools down in that house down in Miami. What is that Pro Tools setup?

And how did Yes record "Awaken"...how did they transimit the organ part from the cathedral over the phone lines and ...oh well, it goes on and on with me.

My studio setup is firmly planted in the digital age. But I still get lots of ideas from old recordings. It's one thing to listen to a record and try to recreate things I like, but It's a whole different perspective when you hear an engineer talk about it ...as I've learned from reading Ed's comments.

It would be so cool to get various song-by song engineer perspectives all on one website ...of course Ed's feedback would always come first!

Just a thought.

E
Gold Member
Gold Member
E
Mr. Amundo, thanks for the post. A really good idea. Anyone that wants to talk about their recording adventures are welcome to post here. At the same time, I am going to talk to some folks that I know that made classic recordings, and invite them to share with us......I love those stories, too.

Link Copied to Clipboard