> all sounding mix sitting at my back wall, about fivefeet beyond the sweet
> spot. my room is by no means perfect although it sounds very good. it has a
> wood floor 4 inch foam on all walls and ceiling, and back wall also has a
> futon. 11 by 13 with 9ft ceiling. monitors are back 1.5 feet behind desk with
> the meter bridge removed and 2.5 feet from front wall which are windows
> behind foam. the room is symmetrical. although i mix in the sweet spot, i
> check it at back wall for a more acurate mix. could you comment on this. i
> realize each room is different.

Every room is different. The proof is in how it sounds everywhere else......do your balances hold up on the radio? In headphones? On a boombox...in the car...at your mother in laws hose (one speaker, and it's out of phase with itself). If mixing sitting under the console on your head works for you, then that's what you do.
ec

#973831 04/06/00 06:41 PM
M
M
Ed is absolutely correct, if it works, it works! But I'll raise a few points based on my experience putting together a number of project rooms:

1. Perhaps the response-shaping switches on the back of the 1030a's have been messed with? Perhaps they SHOULD be messed with?

2. In a room that size, foaming in all the walls and ceiling, and putting a futon on the back wall has probably resulted in a REALLY dead room -- especially with 4" foam (unless there are other factors at work). I'm surprised he's not ending up with really bright, wet mixes.

3. Sitting at the back wall is resulting in about a 3 dB bass boost in the sound (a corner would give 6 dB, junction of two walls and ceiling 9 dB). Perhaps there is some other way to compensate for the lack of bass he's getting in the mix position?

4. In a room that size, low freq waves don't have space to develop; sitting against the wall (see #3) is giving the illusion that real low end is there.

5. Given the size of his room, it's possible that his mix position is in the null point of a room mode.

6. Are there closets, etc., behind the foam that are acting as bass traps?

Regardless, I would try to correct the problem at the mix position so that he can accurately work on his mixes from there; either that, or maybe he needs to move his mix position?

------------------
Mitch Gallagher
Editor
EQ magazine

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard