Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971173 12/18/00 07:48 AM
J
jpreceng@earthlink.net Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I recently worked on a cover version of 'Behind Blue Eyes' for a Who tribute record santioned by the band. I hadn't heard 'Who's Next' in years, so i went down and bought the only version I could find of it in the store -- which had a bunch of unreleased versions tacked onto the end of the regular sequence. I put it on and it didn't sound right to me -- the panning was all the same, but all the vibe was gone. I looked for and found my vinyl, and it sounded and felt as great as I remembered. Then i looked closely at the liner notes, and not only had it been re-mastered, but it had been RE-MIXED as well !!

Now, on the plastic wrap there was a sticker that i neglected to read fully that did say remixed and remastered, but shouldn't it be on the permanent cover or rear artwork somewhere ?? The only clue is a new copyright date, in the fine print on the bottom. Should this even be considered the original record ? I was able to find an original mix version on CD that was re-mastered in a 'Gold' edition. It cost almost twice as much as the remix CD, but it was at least the real thing, and it does sound great.

And in this new dawn of surround mixes, what do we have to look forward to ?? I'm not arguing that the idea of surround can be very cool and creative. But what about records that have already been released before this concept even existed ? Who should be doing the surround mixes of our favorite records of the past -- the original artists, engineers, and producers, or someone that the record company hires to do it ?? Or better yet, should they be messed with at all ?? Maybe they should be left as they are -- a 'record' of an artist's work at that particular time ?? What do you think ??

-John Paterno

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971174 12/18/00 12:08 PM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i think its good [if the job is done right] take bill laswells projects miles davis and bob marley. those sound INCREDIBLE. way better than the originals. although i miss bobs voice on that one really bad, i wish he did a vocal version too.

i personally cant wait for the electric ladyland dvd release. 1983->moon tides in surround, can i get a hit please?

it would be a good idea though to identify it on the cover [or back for sure] for those who want it or not. thats just being considerate.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971175 12/19/00 03:22 AM
P
Pro Jules Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
I hope we 'don't get fooled again'!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I saw them several times and used to take my dad's Nikon . It reminds me that I have several shots of Pete in a white boiler suit, about 4ft mid air!

The golden eared and silver haired (you know the guys in the Neumann ad's etc etc) will probably wangle it to spend thier twilight years remixing and remastering 5.1 96k versions of a lot of already recorded now really quite old music...
And who can blame them? (no pun intended)
To facilitate and celibrate these non events the equpment manufacturers (and I have to add, magazines) will as usual be following 1cm behind with their noses up their *sses.
It's not very forward looking is it?...
'Good work' for those, 20/30 years ago, that 'got it'.

Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971176 12/19/00 06:49 AM
C
Chris Stone Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
C
Since Record Plant, NYC, had something to do with that record when it was originally recorded, I can testify to the need to set standards about who remixes what. I will probably be talking to a wall, but I have to commend DTS for their approach to the music.

They have a policy of licensing the rights to 5.1 mixes of great "old" records and they are always willing to pay dearly the original music engineer/producer to do it right.

Ed did the Stones', George did Lyle, Elliot did the Eagles, etc. Great stuff, in my opinion, and the way it should be done.

It reminds me of when TV went from mono to stereo and they let the guys with no ears remix some of the music videos for stereo. Until the artist managers and then the labels got huffy about it, it all sounded like s..t. Then they redid all of it and it sounded O.K.

Who's Next?? is one of my favorite records ever. If it was done poorly for the 5.1 redo, we should all band together and protest! I will lead the charge!

I'm going to stop now or I will put something in print which I will be really sorry for in the morning.

Chris

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971177 12/19/00 08:35 AM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
yea but you got the power of the delete button chris.

and whos gonna remix electric ladyland?

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971178 12/19/00 12:32 PM
R
robotobon@home.com Offline
R
I got your flank Chris.

I hope they don't try to interpret Hendrix's thoughts on Electric Ladyland. Maybe they took notes during the original sessions hahaha...

-rob

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971179 12/19/00 03:47 PM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
shit, whoever redoes electric ladyland shouldnt be taking notes, they should be taking HITs and i'm sure they will have all the power needed to remix his stuff. i know i would love to get my hands in that project for 5.1. GAWD i think 5.1 is what jimi had in mind when making that album. it just didnt exist yet.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971180 12/19/00 05:26 PM
R
R
I'm totally wigging out because I went over to the Hendrix site to find out info on that DVD release, and I see that Velvert Turner just died in his sleep on the 11th. I just met him on the 2nd at a show. What a trip!

Damn how we have to cherish every second we're up!

I was gonna say Alphajerk, you're right, whoever mixes the Electric Ladyland DVD will have to be on something. That's totally unexceptable of course, since mixing 5.1 is a total whore, and if over-done will have people puking up their dinners.

'Doooood lights!' :P

-Rob

This message has been edited by robotobon@home.com on 12-19-2000 at 09:27 AM

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971181 12/19/00 05:50 PM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
shit, i can already hear jimi saying "aww, thats so groovy man... its unbelievable" as the sounds whips around the listener starting the second half of the album.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971182 12/20/00 04:26 AM
C
Chris Stone Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
C
Eddie Kramer is now the official mixer for all of the Hendrix music which is safely back in the hands of Jimi's family who runs the estate which he left (Did I ever tell you that Record Plant had almost all of Jimi's tapes in our library when he died?). I will never forget going down to the vault after I heard the news of his death and just spending a long time sitting there and looking at the boxes. What a history!

Thanks to Paul Allen (yea, the Microsoft guy) the family gets good advice on what to do and what not to do with his music.

Chris

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971183 12/22/00 02:04 AM
John Worthington Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
As an example of a 5.1 remix done right, check out the "Yellow Submarine" DVD. I was blown away.

jw

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971184 12/22/00 03:28 AM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i wanna go play around in paul allens studio! that place looks great. hes got that studer digital board right? i should call him up and tell him to advise the hendrix family to let me remix Electric Ladyland [maybe just 1983->moon tides, i know those two songs as intimately as one could, ive taken enough hits, those were the end all of tracks to put on. everytime i put those two on, everything else was pale in comparison, in fact music had to go off for a while]

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971185 12/22/00 11:16 AM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk:
i wanna go play around in paul allens studio!

Which studio Alpha? Paul Allen owns about 10.

I often consult for the Experience Music Project in the digital audio workstation realme. My best friend and bandmate is the manager of educational services.

If you need any info drop me a line.

-rob

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971186 12/22/00 02:18 PM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
ex'pressions is the one i keep seeing i think [with the studer digital board] thats right, hes got that educational facility down in the valley right?

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971187 12/22/00 02:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand that the Beatles have been redone in 5:1 - they're just waiting on Yoko to approve it!!
cheer
John

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971188 12/22/00 10:03 PM
David R. Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
So what's the use of remixing something if it sounds close to the original? Who's Next, what was the purpose of remixing, except for some engineer to say he did it? Sure, it would be fun and a good learning excercise, but why re-release? I could see remastering for the different medium(cds instead of vinyl), but if it ain't broke...

The Laswell remix is different. He took it in a new direction, that's fine. I loved what Ted Macero did with the original and how Laswell made it new again with a new mix.

If Hendrix were alive, does anyone think he would want a 5.1 mix to be faithful to the original, only with the effects in the rear speakers? He would have grabbing the joystick (on the mixing board!) and panning shit all over the place.

-David R.

-David R.
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971189 12/22/00 11:58 PM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
i think it would have been more than just FX in the rear speakers. i think he would have set a creative standard that would blow everybody away and not sound like cheesy use of the joystick.

alphajerk
FATcompilation
Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971190 12/27/00 04:43 AM
C
Chris Stone Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
C
Alpha,

Since Jimi ALWAYS had a great deal to do with how his mixes sounded (no matter what his personal condition), I am sure he would set a new standard (of which there are none on purpose) for 5.1

He and Kellgren are probably laughing at us as we speak.

Chris

Re: 'Who's Next' remixed !!!!!! #971191 12/27/00 05:58 AM
alphajerk Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
you know they are with perma-grin almost peeing in their pants

alphajerk
FATcompilation