#969233 09/14/00 09:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi everybody..

I just got a 100.000 dollars from heaven to buy a house for me and my family..and i cant avoid to think in use it in the construction of a new studio from scrach.the problem is that

i just moved here to Indianapolis, a little over a year ago from south america.i dont have any contacts, or major studio expirience. my expirience in the industry comes from Full Sail, and the work i did after that back home, wich was very learning expirience because i was in charge, technically of a working studio for over 5 months, i also did some radio spots and even teach audio for multimedia students. i have record music since i was 14 years old (10 years ago).
when i got here o the states i moved with a preagnent wife and no money with the exeption of a (couple thousend dollars that i use for a PC daw) . that prevent me from getting a internship, so i did a lot of diferent things to pay for the bills and survive. a few months ago i got to a point in wich i could finaly get a internship wich was inposible here in indy. i send out 50 resumes and 20 came back and i only got responce from 3 places, two studios and a duplication company. the two studios did not hire interns but the company needed a mastering engineer. so im mastering now.

so im thinking of a digital studio with 3 AD-800 and da-78h + protools mix\plus, pro control and loads of outboard tube mic's pres and comp's.I dont have a room and im thinking on moving to Chicago. but again i dont know anybody out there.

how dificult do you think that this idea would be to realize bisness wise? do clients shop for gear or for the engineer? how much should i spect to spend in a room? if you had 100.000 dollars for a studio, what would you guys get??

thanks for your response.
cc

p.s
i speak much better than i write!

Re: 100.000 dollars. for a studio.
#969234 09/14/00 10:40 AM
M
M
CC
Live your dream. This is important. Family is also very important. Your happiness directly will affect them every single day of the rest of your days on this earth.
Do what you feel is right and trust in it.
Remember where that direction comes from and dont doubt in it.

One more thing, do not spend all that money on gear only. The studio business requires much more than electronics.

MP

[This message has been edited by musicproducer@prodigy.net (edited 09-15-2000).]

#969235 09/14/00 06:56 PM
N
N
Ccintriago, Are you a musician as well? If so, I wish you were in Southern Arizona, I think South American music is the most advanced on the planet and would love to work with somebody that grew up there! Neil

#969236 09/14/00 08:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I had that money the last thing in the world I would do with it would be buying gear and building a studio!!! I would take care of my family first and see to all their comforts and needs. Then if I had a little left over I would buy a few pieces of select gear that I've always wanted.
Please don't go out and buy $100,000 worth of digital recording gear that will be worthless in 7 years.
To be honest, and a little blunt, you don't sound like you have the experience to be taking such a huge step right now. There are lots of people waiting to take that money from you without a second thought.
Take care of the family and put some money in savings. Sorry if this offends you.

Hasta Luego,

------------------
Tiny G

#969237 09/14/00 11:43 PM
P
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
P
Spend one year making up a shopping list. See Chris Stones thread on Hireing out your gear.
If I were you I would perhaps go for a big spend but, make sure your studio was located near the best & biggest hire co in Chicago, and get stuff they could use. (this is what I did and it has been so far a reicepe for fun & profit)
Jules

Jules
Producer Julian Standen
London, UK,
Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com
#969238 09/15/00 02:52 AM
C
Gold Member
Gold Member
C
ccintriago,

I would tend to agree with aaron. It sounds like you need some additional experience in the U.S. as an audio engineer before buying all of that equipment. Having no clients or reputation here in the U.S. makes it doubly difficult. If you build it, the clients may not come to your facility because they do not know you or your work.

Chicago is a much bigger market for professional audio than Indianapolis and could give you excellent experience. I would not quit your present job (at least you are working in the industry) but would go to Chicago and check out the possibility of employment there.

There is a recording studio association there that meets once each month socially. Call Chicago Recording Company. They will know the name of the person in charge of that local association. Contact them and go to the next meeting and see for yourself if there are any jobs available before moving there with your family.

Until then, put your money in a Certificate of Deposit (CD) with your bank so you are earning interest. Don't spend it yet! Wait until you know a lot more about how we do business here and get some additional experience working in our industry.

Until you have enough clients to support your studio, and know the best services to offer to the clients, I would not invest the money in a facility.

Good luck!

Chris

#969239 09/15/00 04:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks you all.

yes my family comes first. it allways will, i'm not going to spend money for a studio when my family and i could use it for the future. BUT!i can't avoid thinking if i could get a susesful bisness going i can secure our future. i may not have a list of clients or credits associated wih my name. but i'm not afraid of hard work and i'm confident in my ears, knolege, and services that i can provide. i do want to pay my dues to this industry starting from the internship up, i think that is the way to go, becase you'll get a mentor in anybody and everybody that works in a studio facility. but at this moment moving out of state to get a internship would not serve my family. i love my job (it beats the hell out of working in a wood mill) is cool to feel responsable for the final product, i make shure that your final mix would translate the best to the choosen media, but again i love studio work..ahh! yes!, i'm a musician, i have been one since i was 12 years old, and i be one untill i die. there is something about music that makes my think about making music every day. and has been that way since i have memory.

Thank you Cris. Im going to look into the Chicago Recording Company. and thanks to everybody else for your responces and coments, they are gladly apriciated.

CC

#969240 09/15/00 09:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by neil@trackingstation.com:
Ccintriago, Are you a musician as well? If so, I wish you were in Southern Arizona, I think South American music is the most advanced on the planet and would love to work with somebody that grew up there! Neil

I was going to write a long reply on latin music. but i decided against it, so Neil if you whant to talk about south american music, or any other type of music, send me a e-mail, i would love to share ideas and musical formulas.

CC

#969241 09/15/00 10:38 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
I must reiterate the message already stated here: You do not appear ready to spend that money!

We all (I guess) need teachers and mentors to learn the skills required to do this work. There is no substitute. IMHO, most of the educational books and videos directed at beginners are useful but woefully incomplete. Also IMHO, many recordings suck nowadays because of bad engineering practices used by folks who think that All You Need Is Gear.

I am glad you are a musician- this is an important PLUS if you want to engineer- but I know many GOOD musicians with studios they have purchased who make very bad tapes and can't even tell. Engineering is a life's work all by itself. Imagine an engineer who supposes that by buying an instrument he can suddenly pick up gigs because he "knows" music.

Without experience with the right people, you might as well buy 100,000 lottery tickets.

There! (end of rant)

Here is a plan I suggest:

1. Set aside most of the money in a CD or something. If you want, spend a couple of grand on a computer & software rig so you have something to play on & learn on.(think small!)

2. Allot some (several thousand?) to help support yourself while you:

3. Work/ intern at the finest studio you can, even if for no $$ (see #2).

4. If you can eventually get paid to engineer (even at a lesser studio), use all the knowledge you picked up watching the experienced guys.

5. If you have built up a clientele and are making a reasonable living engineering (this will probably take several years at least), THEN consider spending your cash on your own place.

I hope this does not seem too daunting or offensive to you. Money in large amounts is hard to come by! Consider your choices well...

ML

#969242 09/15/00 12:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lemaire:
I must reiterate the message already stated here: You do not appear ready to spend that money!

We all (I guess) need teachers and mentors to learn the skills required to do this work. There is no substitute. IMHO, most of the educational books and videos directed at beginners are useful but woefully incomplete. Also IMHO, many recordings suck nowadays because of bad engineering practices used by folks who think that All You Need Is Gear.

I am glad you are a musician- this is an important PLUS if you want to engineer- but I know many GOOD musicians with studios they have purchased who make very bad tapes and can't even tell. Engineering is a life's work all by itself. Imagine an engineer who supposes that by buying an instrument he can suddenly pick up gigs because he "knows" music.

Without experience with the right people, you might as well buy 100,000 lottery tickets.

There! (end of rant)

Here is a plan I suggest:

1. Set aside most of the money in a CD or something. If you want, spend a couple of grand on a computer & software rig so you have something to play on & learn on.(think small!)

2. Allot some (several thousand?) to help support yourself while you:

3. Work/ intern at the finest studio you can, even if for no $$ (see #2).

4. If you can eventually get paid to engineer (even at a lesser studio), use all the knowledge you picked up watching the experienced guys.

5. If you have built up a clientele and are making a reasonable living engineering (this will probably take several years at least), THEN consider spending your cash on your own place.

I hope this does not seem too daunting or offensive to you. Money in large amounts is hard to come by! Consider your choices well...

ML

Thnks for awnsering. but i most say that im not in dippers here!

like i said before i have a degree on recording from FullSail, plus i have studio expirience. NOT MAJOR STUDIO expirience, but expirience never the less, so i dont think i need a basic book in recording tecnics to record. i also have my home studio that i use regularly. by any means im not ready to open it to bissnes but i can track a full band in my living room and still get some more extra inputs, it only needs extra mic's and outboar muscle. and after all i did teach digital audio and basic recording tecnics to college level digital media students. hey if u want i can send you a resume. the only thing that i dont have is contacts and a letter of recomendation from a big studio manager saing how good of an intern i was.so i dont need a 100.000 dollars studio to learn how to use it, or to record some music.
i totaly agree with you in the bad engineer with a good studio thing. i just was estating that a internship teaches you more than the use of equipment and technical side of things. it teaches you the psicology and diplomacy that a engineer needs in order to please the client and make them feel loose and confortable, i know this. i engineered complete sessions out of school by my self, and it got a little intence some times. but i did a good job with the things that i had available, and the clients were happy.

i totaly apriciate the time that you guys are puting in this thread . thank you very much.

cc

#969243 09/15/00 09:19 PM
C
C
oops...

[This message has been edited by c.cash (edited 09-15-2000).]

#969244 09/15/00 09:25 PM
C
C
Just a thought.... Yamaha 01V digital mixer w/ Adat option for 8 analog and 8 digital ins/outs to Digi 001 for 24 tracks of Pro Tools. Powermac G4. Waves Gold Bundle. Great condenser mic. 1 great pre or dual pre. 1 great compressor/limiter. Extra cables, mics, headphone amp, phones...

In addition to any gear you own now, for under $15,000 you can put together a (portable!) system like this one and still have $85,000 left over to send to me.

[This message has been edited by c.cash (edited 09-15-2000).]

#969245 09/16/00 08:29 AM
M
Gold Member
Gold Member
M
ccintriago-

My deepest apologies! I didn't read the thread carefully before responding, didn't notice your experience level. Please consider my rant to be meant for somone else (probably myself).

again, sorry to talk down to you. Maybe I should only post when fully awake. Best of luck with your plans. Keep us informed!

ML

#969246 09/16/00 09:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lemaire:
ccintriago-

My deepest apologies! I didn't read the thread carefully before responding, didn't notice your experience level. Please consider my rant to be meant for somone else (probably myself).

again, sorry to talk down to you. Maybe I should only post when fully awake. Best of luck with your plans. Keep us informed!

ML

not ofence taken . im actualy flatter that you guys are actually responding to this tread. i know some of you by your reputation in the industry and i know how beesy you guys most be!!
Thanks again!!
CC

#969247 09/16/00 05:04 PM
N
N
My suggestion would be to carfully select a few high end mics & out board analog gear, (that with continue to hold value or increase) & that you can add to your existing or modestly priced recording equipment. The computer based recording equipment and low priced outboard equipment will continue to drop in value, so I would only invest what is necessary in those pieces. Also; you might want to consider a location where your Latin American background (culture and language) would be a plus. My studio is close to the Mexican border, but I don't speak Spanish. The studio's in Mexico don't seem to be very advanced, but they spend a lot of money on recording. Seems like a person could build a good business working with that clientele. I will be e-mailing you about Latin music. Neil

#969248 09/17/00 03:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with what the others have said especially about looking after family first etc. but I would like to make the point that too many people spend all their money on gear when a small amount spent on correct acoustics will improve the quality of your recordings considerably.
Cheers
John
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics

#969249 09/18/00 08:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsay@lis.net.au:
I agree with what the others have said especially about looking after family first etc. but I would like to make the point that too many people spend all their money on gear when a small amount spent on correct acoustics will improve the quality of your recordings considerably.
Cheers
John
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics

I most say that your is a great site. all that knolege is a most for everybody that wants to bilt a studio. and it has been in my favorites folder for a wile now.
Cheers
cc

#969250 09/19/00 01:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks CC my counter tells me that over 50% of my hits are people returning to the site over and over again - It's really satisfying and a tribute to the wonderful invention - the internet - free information for everyone.

Link Copied to Clipboard