Print Thread
The Business of Recording
#968590 06/22/00 02:19 AM
C
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
C
I'm a business guy who has been hanging around this great industry for years as a studio owner, consultant and columnist. One of the first lessons I learned as an entrepreneur was: "If it ain't profitable, Don't do it".

It seems to me that some of you guys and girls need to spend a little more of your precious time (which is what it is you get paid for) thinking about that subject so you don't make too many expensive mistakes in the purchase of gear, owning a studio, promoting yourselves and sometimes believing the wrong people who tell you they are going to make you rich.

Studios, I know about. Dealing with music producers and engineers as clients and friends has given me a great deal of pleasure and some knowledge about what goes on in your insider world. I even wrote a book: "Audio Recording for Profit" to try to explain the part of the business I know best.

I would really love it if you would use this forum to put the important questions out there that need the answers from your peers to make you better at what you do. I promise to do everything I can to help get you the answers which you seek.

Chris

Re: The Business of Recording
#968591 06/22/00 08:11 PM
S
S
Given an unsigned artist who is not a supremely talented sure thing sort, but has many things going for them, would it be beneficial or detremental to show up with a finshed project(assume good quality)? Would the label view the finished project as a loss of possible revenue and thereby jeopardize the artist's ability to get signed? Might the label bad mouth the good quality project? And finally, If the label says the project doesn't meet their quality specs, how do I call their bluff(again assuming the project is up to snuff)?

The reason I ask is I have an artist that has done a demo with me and I feel he has enough potiential to warrant possibly contacting a label and I might want to do a project for Him (about $10,000) in an artist/studio contract. But I want to do what is best for him.

#968592 06/22/00 09:12 PM
J
J
Chris,

Where can I get a copy of your book? I'm always trying to learn more about this crazy business, and being on the manufacturing end I haven't had a whole lot of exposure to the studio side.

Thanks!

Karen

------------------

#968593 06/23/00 02:12 AM
C
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
C
Hey staupep:

From my point of view, I think it would be beneficial. From a financial point of view, the label would not have to invest anything which should make them happy. I don't understand the "lost revenue" bit.

With regard to "quality", more and more records are made in garages with inexpensive equipment. If the label is interested in your artist, and has a problem with the quality of the recording, it would be up to them to come up with the bucks to "improve' it.

To find out what is best for your artist, I would cetainly shop the project to any labels you can and see what they think about the project. The worst thing that can happen is that they "pass" on the project. But who knows, they might like it and give you a deal. Good luck!

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Stone (edited 06-22-2000).]

#968594 06/23/00 02:20 AM
C
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
C
Hi Karen:

Thanks for asking. My book is available on bn.com, amazon.com, and borders.com. Just type in: "Stone, Chris" under the author category and it will take you to it. All of the prices are the same, so take your pick.

Once you get into the book, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. I can best be reached at: cstone@worldstudio.com

You are right about this being a "crazy business". That to me is the major reason why we all really love it!

Chris

#968595 06/23/00 07:12 PM
J
J
Chris,

Thanks so much. I'll take you up on your offer, because I'm sure I will have questions.

Regards,

Karen Brinton

------------------

Link Copied to Clipboard