Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#968205 - 01/02/02 06:44 PM Re: New to forum: first post
KHAN RULEZ Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
KEEF RULEZ!!!!

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: KHAN RULEZ ]

#968206 - 01/02/02 07:06 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
So much for "no further posts on this thread". :rolleyes:

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: pokeefe777@msn.com ]

Okay Mats, let's see if I can remember it:

Keith, you always were a little strange - like the smell of teargas, eh? :p

All of this fuss reminds me of the chaos we all went through back in the 1960's - remember when John said we were "more popular than Jesus Christ"? You would have thought he had said we were the second coming or something. :rolleyes: Of course we weren't, but we were bigger than YOU LADS! :p

John and I had our problems over the years, but we made up in the end. It's incredible how you realize that such differences matter very little as you get older... you learn to appreciate the differences between people and you know, John was right - "All you need IS love". I just wish we could go back in time and take back some of the things we said back then, but that's impossible now. I miss my mate every day. \:\(

"Paul McCartney"

Unfortunately, I deleted the original post and it's gone for good - but this is close. I wish I knew how I lost my "fake" Paul McCartney screen name...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: pokeefe777@msn.com ]
http://www.ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#968207 - 01/02/02 07:30 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Paul McCartney Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED KINGDOM
I really wonder what Yoko will say about all of this...

Ringo

#968208 - 01/02/02 07:42 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:
So much for "no further posts on this thread". :rolleyes:

It's kind of taken on a life of its own. \:\)

#968209 - 01/02/02 07:46 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Mats Olsson. Offline
10k Club

Loc: Eskilstuna,,SWEDEN
Phil, why did you edit your post? It was hilarious, and then the real Paul McCartney replying as "Ringo" was like the icing on the cake!

Just rinse and spit, then re-edit your post for all to see, please!

/Mats

What do we want? Procrastination!
When do we want it? Later!

#968210 - 01/02/02 07:48 PM Re: New to forum: first post
KHAN Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ceti-Alpha 5
Quote:
Originally posted by KHAN RULEZ:
KEEF RULEZ!!!!

HEY!!! My very own forum groupie!!!!!!

I hope you are a girl....

And while I'm at it, we all know KEEF SUCKZ!!! \:D

---------------------

KHAN (I got me a groupie!!!)

#968211 - 01/02/02 07:52 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
DANG! I HAD the fake "Paul McCartney" screen name and even made a few posts with it a while back in response to some earlier "Keith Richards" posts... I have no idea how you snagged it, but I'm seriously bummed.

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#968212 - 01/02/02 08:29 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

<>

Well, there is the concept of "netiquette." I participate in several forums, and I always read through several pages of posts before jumping in so I can get a sense of what's cool and what isn't.

The problem is that there are a lot of folders and a lot of posts in here. It's obvious when some people are new and find a topic on page 14, and they either have something to contribute to it or a question to ask, so it gets bumped to the top. These are people who did their homework, rather than starting a duplicate topic. Duplicate topics are a problem, because then no one knows which thread to reply to. I've had to spend a lot of my time sending personal emails to people who have created duplicate topics, telling them that I've deleted their topic because there's already one covering the subject, then I give them the URL of the existing thread. Obviously, this type of maintenance takes away from time I could spend replying to topics or introducing new ones, which I think most participants would find more useful.

So, the object of "doing one's homework" has nothing to do with exclusion, and everything to do with keeping this an efficient place to browse. There have been references to just bypassing the BS and concentrating on the nuggets of information. I try very hard to maximize the signal to noise ratio here, and my task is much easier when people research the forum a little bit before jumping in. I have very limited resources to deal with this forum, so any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW Scott, sorry about the Steve reference! Oh well.

I think in a few days I'll delete this thread as it contributes little, if anything, to the existing knowledge base.

#968213 - 01/02/02 10:07 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Mats Olsson. Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:

BTW Scott, sorry about the Steve reference! Oh well.

I think in a few days I'll delete this thread as it contributes little, if anything, to the existing knowledge base.

Craig, please let this thread stay at least for a week, after all Scott/Steve passed his test and became a Senior Member in his first thread, Khan gave away his smilie-voodoo-secret and got himself a Groupie, the "old" Curve appeared, Keith Richards posted an old tale of his, Phil'O was caught impersonating as a fake Paul McCartney by the real Paul McCartney, and, most amazing of all: the mighty Alphajerk did not post even once!

All of this in one day. And what a day it has been!

/Mats

#968214 - 01/02/02 11:04 PM Re: New to forum: first post
chessparov_dup1 Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo,CA,UNITED STATES
sjones, You know the old saying "When In Rome....".
Although they certainly don't need ME to say it, actually
Curve, Valky, Khan, et al are very cool.
I hope you hang around with us and have fun too.
If you're not careful you'll end up learning a lot too!

P.S. Remember "turn around is fair play"-except when it's
done to me!

#968215 - 01/02/02 11:49 PM Re: New to forum: first post
FoxTick Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Sacramental, Californicate
what a thread!!

welcome Scott

Chessparov is right, everyone IS cool here. Curve is just rattling your cage, pay no mind...it's all good. stick around, it can only get better. ;\)

#968216 - 01/03/02 01:06 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Loc: UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by sactog:
what a thread!!

welcome Scott

Chessparov is right, everyone IS cool here. Curve is just rattling your cage, pay no mind...it's all good. stick around, it can only get better. ;\)

Got it guys...thanks for the welcomes...

I will stick around, and I will contribute...to the humor and the knowledge base...

Thanks again, and peace to all,

Scott

#968217 - 01/03/02 03:32 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Uh Clem Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sjonesmusic:

I came over form another forum that was just getting too juvenile, too vulgar, too hostile, and was looking for a place to connect with some actual fellow pros...

Scott

Scott, a musician looking for contact in the ether, did not realize his next click would connect him with the ether known as....

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

This thread was a riot on so many levels, I could write a book. And the Curve thing...I don't know...somehow it was pretty damn funny. I could see where'd you'd need a bit of Curve history under you belt to warm up to that.

I used to get the "Scott" thing quite a bit too, so I know how that feels - except I don't think I ever got it when I'd written it down :rolleyes: , but...whatever.

Steve ;\)

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: stevepow ]

#968218 - 01/03/02 03:40 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedster:
ENLARGE YOUR PENIS BY AS MUCH AS THREE INCHES!!! ONLY 59.95!

Ted, does this mean you look like the girl in the gold lame bikini in the "Longitude" commercial on t.v.?

Eric: just like 'ol times, eh?

#968219 - 01/03/02 04:17 AM Re: New to forum: first post
michael saulnier Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego,CA,UNITED STATES
Scott,

I can't remember when a "first-post" ended up being a 3 pager... Thanks for keeping your head, and hanging in there. Many a "lurker" has gotten a chuckle or two from all this...

Now, if your first post had been "Korn Rules"...

THEN you'd have seen the wrath of KHAN... yessireebob.

guitplayer

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

#968220 - 01/03/02 06:15 AM Re: New to forum: first post
halljams Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Scott, I am with you.
What some of these people are calling humour, is really pitiful behavior.

Curve did attack you, i would not attack someone in that way either, ever, unless they really really pissed me off.

Sometimes the shit that some of the regulars here post, is just mind boggling, stupid, childish ,schoolyard ,bully behavior.

It amazes me.

As Craig said, we are entitled to have our opinions and be the individuals that we are.

Well, the individual that i are, is standing up, and calling all those attacking, non-thinking unfriendly fucks, that didn't even give you a fair chance to introduce yourself..... a bunch of people who aren't worth my time, or yours Scott.

Those of you who are guilty know what i'm talking about because you are intelligent people, I hope you think about what i am saying. This isn't the first time this shit has happened and i hope you realize one day how wrong it is to type, talk or communicate with people the way you do.

And those of you jumping on the bandwagan just to be part of the gang should be re-thinking your role models.

It's no wonder that so many people are so lonley and miserable and scared of other people that they can't help but hide inside themselves in front of the TV.

And so many people on these forums are so upset about the power of the big companys'influence over the public's music choices, but are unwilling to encourage people to think for themselves by encouraging friendliness and patients.

With the type friendliness in this thread, It's no wonder this forum is getting more banal and mindless and less about music by the week.

I'm very disapponted.

\:\(

#968221 - 01/03/02 11:48 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

So,

I actually think this thread, though far from my original intention, would be better left ON the board than deleted...

As much as I would rather have had a flameless thread, it didn't happen, but this could be left as a lesson to other unsuspecting folk...

In that alone, it adds to the content of the forum...

Anyway, my two cents...

Peace,

Scott

#968222 - 01/03/02 11:53 AM Re: New to forum: first post
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton in response to:
(posted by miroslav)<>

Well, there is the concept of "netiquette." I participate in several forums, and I always read through several pages of posts before jumping in so I can get a sense of what's cool and what isn't.

So, the object of "doing one's homework" has nothing to do with exclusion, and everything to do with keeping this an efficient place to browse. There have been references to just bypassing the BS and concentrating on the nuggets of information. I try very hard to maximize the signal to noise ratio here, and my task is much easier when people research the forum a little bit before jumping in. I have very limited resources to deal with this forum, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Craig,

I understand where you are coming from...but with all due respect...the "netiquette" you talk about is OFTEN not practiced by forum veterans, with mega-posts.

It's almost a mixed signal. A newcomer is asked to "do his/her homework", but after you've made it into "the inner circle" it's OK to be rude, vulgar, obnoxious, often trite...AND...you can even SPAM once in awhile and get away with it too…???

I often try to "do my homework" before I jump in to something...especially if I'm "new to the area"...but some people are less guarded about how they MAKE NEW FRIENDS.

So...unless there are some specific RULES & REGULATIONS about "netiquette" or "doing your homework"...we need to cut people some slack...ESPECIALLY when they are NEW...and NOT when they've been here for quite some time and are veterans...otherwise it seems that it is about "exclusion".

On many occasions, we have a bit of a "flip-flop" on these forums. Some of the crap that has been allowed to veteran members in the past has been quite unbelievable at times...I can recall many flaming/nasty threads, full of nothing but useless drivel...but they were allowed.

Newcomers should be given the benefit of the doubt. Then, if they persist with bullshit...OK...it's open season...and...well...we've seen what can happen to a thread.

Boys and girls...let's kick off the New Year on a positive note. \:\)

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: miroslav ]

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#968223 - 01/03/02 12:01 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Question...

Has anyone, other than Chip, actually had the chance to listen to any of my music?

(Chip and I have much in common it seems---from the e-mails)...Thanks Chip...

I'm only trying to steer the "ship" back, that's all...

If the majority feels that this whole thing should be deleted, and I post in the appropriate thread, so be it...

I was, as we all know, only trying to share my music from the outset...

Peace,

Scott

#968224 - 01/03/02 01:51 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

<>

The people have spoken...

<>

Now this is evidence of a level of maturity seldom seen in the civilized world. Scott, the least I can do is honor your request.

<>

Well, as you've probably noticed, I allow pretty much everything. I believe that people are what they are, and by letting them speak in an unfettered way, others can form opinions based on the reality of the situation. A MAJOR problem is the lack of nuance when communicating over the web. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is saying some with a smile or a frown. And really, there haven't been that many nasty threads, at least compared to the rest of the web.

Veteran members do get some slack, because they've contributed a lot over the years (yes, two years now!! I can actually say "years"!). But people have good days and bad days. This is also a place where people can let off steam. The dynamic of what's allowed/what's not allowed is subtle. I tend to err on the side of leaving things as is. There have been many times when hostile threads ended up positive...it may have taken lots of messages to get there, but when people "kiss and make up," it somehow seems all worthwhile.

I think Scott has shown a lot of poise here, and was blown away that he asked to leave this thread up. I think that's very unselfish and gives an interesting insight into who he is.

Okay, before this thread dies a natural death, yes Scott by all means post in the "appropriate" thread as that's where people know where to look if they want to post/critique music.

Once again, we're just a microcosm of society, with all its beauty and all its warts. This is "reality TV" in the truest sense, and despite the bumps, that's what makes it all worthwhile. Thanks to everyone who participates, on any level.

#968225 - 01/03/02 02:05 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Craig,

I appreciate your understanding...

Here's to many more years and many more contributions (of every shape and size)...

I wish you all the best in life...

Peace,

Scott

#968226 - 01/03/02 02:13 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Steve LeBlanc Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Sometimes the shit that some of the regulars here post, is just mind boggling, stupid, childish ,schoolyard ,bully behavior.

He said SHIT...huh..uh huh..huh...huh...hehe

\:D

#968227 - 01/03/02 02:16 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

He said SHIT...huh..uh huh..huh...huh...hehe

\:D

:p

#968228 - 01/03/02 02:53 PM Re: New to forum: first post
topper74 Offline

What thread did the real Paul McCartney show up on. I can't believe I missed THAT!

#968229 - 01/03/02 03:15 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Steve LeBlanc Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA,UNITED STATES
Scott...I don't have a problem with your posting this thread as an introduction but a word of advice...

I've noticed several threads in various forums here where you've posted examples of your music in response to the topic.

If you continue to post examples of your work in EVERY thread you participate in...people will get annoyed. I found it annoying...leave a link to your page...we'll know where to find your music...no need to plaster song links everywhere you go.

BTW, I dig a lot of your music, I listened to it because I have a really fast connection and basically listen to everything posted on these forums. Keep in mind most of the people here don't have a fast connection or don't have the time to sample everyone's music.

Sometimes I disable my signature when I post, it depends on the topic...either way it's just a link where people can find out more about me or listen to my music if they choose. I just think it's a bad idea to try force feeding people your music...good or bad.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Welcome to the Forums!

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

#968230 - 01/03/02 03:39 PM Re: New to forum: first post
topper74 Offline

Back Button. Sorry :rolleyes:

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: topper74 ]

#968231 - 01/03/02 04:30 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Mats Olsson. Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by topper74:
What thread did the real Paul McCartney show up on. I can't believe I missed THAT!

Have a look at the lower half of page 2 of this thread (almost right after the real Arnold Schwarzenegger and the real Keith Richards made their respective contributions).

/Mats

#968232 - 01/03/02 05:33 PM Re: New to forum: first post
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
...A MAJOR problem is the lack of nuance when communicating over the web. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone is saying some with a smile or a frown.

YES!

ABSOLUTELY!

I've found this to be a very frustrating aspect of web communication...often having to "explain" myself several different ways in order to get my true meaning across.

That is why sometimes my responses get a bit long, instead of a quick, one/two sentence post.

I'm concerned that my true meaning is clearly understood in order to avoid any second guesses that might lead to some hostile or misguided counter-responses.

There is so much to be said for using facial expressions, body language and vocal inflections when we communicate with others. Not having these key elements available can often lead to misunderstandings.

TWO YEARS...YEAH!
I was thinking about that this morning...where DOES the time go?

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#968233 - 01/03/02 05:48 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Arjay Offline

Loc: Western Mass, USA
First of all, a large welcome to Scott from another relative newcomer.

Second, can I please be the real Jeff Beck for awhile?

C'mon, fellas, can I, can I, huh?

\:D \:D \:D

#968234 - 01/03/02 06:29 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:
Scott...I don't have a problem with your posting this thread as an introduction but a word of advice...

I've noticed several threads in various forums here where you've posted examples of your music in response to the topic.

If you continue to post examples of your work in EVERY thread you participate in...people will get annoyed. I found it annoying...leave a link to your page...we'll know where to find your music...no need to plaster song links everywhere you go.

BTW, I dig a lot of your music, I listened to it because I have a really fast connection and basically listen to everything posted on these forums. Keep in mind most of the people here don't have a fast connection or don't have the time to sample everyone's music.

Sometimes I disable my signature when I post, it depends on the topic...either way it's just a link where people can find out more about me or listen to my music if they choose. I just think it's a bad idea to try force feeding people your music...good or bad.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Welcome to the Forums!

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

Steve,

Thanks for the tips...

I only post links that are directly relevant to the topic at hand, and while certainly I could just leave a link to my overall site...it has over 600 demos, which would be too difficult to explain everytime where to find which particular demo related to the topic...

Also, I try to back up my posts with examples if possible...rather than merely posting text...

I don't always post a link to my site either...only if relevant...

But I see the wisdom of using more discretion as you so kindly pointed out, so I WILL be mindful of it...

Thanks for listening, by the way...

Peace,

Scott

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >