Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#968175 - 01/02/02 05:43 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Philip O'Keefe Offline
10k Club

Loc: Riverside,CA,UNITED STATES
So Eric, are you going to post a pix of this pedal? I'd like to see it. I had some early Ibanez pedals back in the 70's, and this sounds somewhat familiar, but I couldn't tell you w/o seeing it.

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
http://www.ssrstudio.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
http://www.philokeefe.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com
My New Forum on Harmony-Central

#968176 - 01/02/02 05:45 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Loc: UNITED STATES
Phil,

Thanks for the tips...

I am a champion of tolerance for diversity and freedom of expression...

That was not my concern...

My concern was for the blatantly hostile and vulgar posts, rather than pointing out the proper thread...

I'm not offended, but it's basic courtesy and respect, maturity and humility that was clearly missing from the posts from "curved"...

I felt it was necessary to hold him accountable...

Treating people with disdain and contempt is unacceptable, I don't care how "funny" it's supposed to be, or how popular he is...

And I found it curious that Craig thought it was ok...

It's just that in my life, I choose to be a benefit and not a thorn...

Peace,

Scott

#968177 - 01/02/02 07:35 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Valkyrie Sound Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: LA, CA, UNITED STATES
Scott:

Welcome...

May I suggest you just just drop this line
of discussion about Curve's "attitude" and "style"?
You say you're not offended, but you're still
making it an issue.

Curve is a regular (as am I) who we all love. \:D
Being persistant at trying to change what
is considered "normal" and OK in these
forums (example Curve's and Khan's styles)
won't make you any friends here.
That's kinda like going into someone's
home for the first time and saying
their carpeting sucks.
It's just not nice.

If you don't like our carpet...
keep quiet and talk about the weather.
When you've been around long enough
to know us and for us to know you...
you can make a friendly suggestion to change
things. OK? \:\)

Again welcome,
Ms. Valky
http://www.tsutayausa.com

#968178 - 01/02/02 07:45 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Mats Olsson. Offline
10k Club

Loc: Eskilstuna,,SWEDEN
Welcome Scott!

Now, what do you like to talk about?

/Mats

What do we want? Procrastination!
When do we want it? Later!

#968179 - 01/02/02 08:24 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyriesound:
Scott:

Welcome...

May I suggest you just just drop this line
of discussion about Curve's "attitude" and "style"?
You say you're not offended, but you're still
making it an issue.

Curve is a regular (as am I) who we all love. \:D
Being persistant at trying to change what
is considered "normal" and OK in these
forums (example Curve's and Khan's styles)
won't make you any friends here.
That's kinda like going into someone's
home for the first time and saying
their carpeting sucks.
It's just not nice.

If you don't like our carpet...
keep quiet and talk about the weather.
When you've been around long enough
to know us and for us to know you...
you can make a friendly suggestion to change
things. OK? \:\)

Again welcome,
Ms. Valky

Ms. Valky,

Having my first post turn into this, was not my intention, but when a person has their words manipulated into vulgarity in reply, it must be pointed out as inappropriate...

It's not nice for me to say "being harrassed without regard to who I am, is wrong?"

Yet someone can post F**K twenty times in a parody of my first post, and that is "nice"?

Offended...? Me...? Hardly...

What's fair is fair...

What's uncalled for, is uncalled for...

I personally don't care whether or not Curve is the forum's champion or has Craig's blessing or not, he crossed the line regardless, and I stand by my position on it...

Now, I'll drop it...

#968180 - 01/02/02 08:36 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

<>

You're taking this all waaaay too seriously. I tend to think Curve's post wasn't meant as seriously as you're taking it.

<>

Normally I catch these types of messages before others do, mention the other thread, then delete the original thread a day or two later. For truly rank spamming, I delete the topic immediately, and send a personal email explaining basic netiquette.

<< And I found it curious that Craig thought it was ok...>>

Uhhhh...where did I say what was okay? I said Curve's sense of humor is a high point of this forum. We've also exchanged private emails in the past where he apologized for getting too worked up about something. In my message I explained to you how the forum works, invited you to jump in, and hoped you got a response in the other thread.

There are a lot of things that go on that I disagree with here. But I am a MODERATOR, not a tyrant. That also means moderating my own beliefs. I wrestle with this a lot because personally, I don't believe obscenities are necessary to get a point across, and using them is an admission of an inability to use language precisely. But if people want to swear here, they can. I'm not so presumptuous as to think that everyone needs to adopt MY moral standards. "Judge not, lest ye be judged" always made a lot of sense to me. And someone judging you doesn't mean you automatically have to judge them.

I think that at this point, you're best off if you stop focusing on any perceived slights, and instead either take advantage of, or contribute to, the vast resources of a lot of experts. That's what this forum is about. If people have problems with other people, go off line and take care of it with email (another important piece of netiquette).

#968181 - 01/02/02 08:49 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And in the spirit of equal time, let me point out the following...for his second post, Steve wrote:

<>

A hardcore spammer would never apologize. Here's my take: he thinks his music is cool, he sees a bunch of musicians, he jumps in without doing his homework on how the forum works, he now knows better. So I say, leave him alone, and as for you Steve, we know what you think so don't bother trying to continue to explain it. To ALL concerned, I expect that this message will be the LAST in this thread. Thank you.

#968182 - 01/02/02 10:30 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey, how 'bout those DUCKS, huh?

#968183 - 01/02/02 10:39 AM Re: New to forum: first post
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

ENLARGE YOUR PENIS BY AS MUCH AS THREE INCHES!!! ONLY 59.95!

GO TO http://www.asuckerborneveryminute.com

I just thought you all would like some REAL spam... \:D \:D \:D

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Tedster ]

#968184 - 01/02/02 11:44 AM Re: New to forum: first post
strat0124 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,VA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
[QBYou're taking this all waaaay too seriously. I tend to think Curve's post wasn't meant as seriously as you're taking it.
[/QB]

Actually I thought it was a bit much as well, but again, I didn't say it.....
Can you say.....Tolerance???????? If the shoe were on the other foot.....

#968185 - 01/02/02 12:23 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anderton:
And in the spirit of equal time, let me point out the following...for his second post, Steve wrote:

<>

A hardcore spammer would never apologize. Here's my take: he thinks his music is cool, he sees a bunch of musicians, he jumps in without doing his homework on how the forum works, he now knows better. So I say, leave him alone, and as for you Steve, we know what you think so don't bother trying to continue to explain it. To ALL concerned, I expect that this message will be the LAST in this thread. Thank you.

Thanks for the equal time Craig...

By the way, it's Scott...not Steve...

Moving on..

#968186 - 01/02/02 01:45 PM Re: New to forum: first post
masternfool Offline

Loc: Merryland ,US-Non Virgin Islan...
Welcome Scott, Just do as I do and read between all the Bullshit to get to the music related info...Harry

#968187 - 01/02/02 03:10 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia USA
WELCOME STEVE!!!

Steve,

My modification and re-post of your original post was a work of satire, meant to be taken with a sense of humor. The truth is, I never even bothered to listen to your music, so I have no idea if you are the reincarnation of John McGlaughlin or what, Steve.

Also, I must take exception with your exaggerated claims of my use of obscenity. I only utilized the term derived from the acronym of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" three times, not twenty, as you inaccurately claimed; and all three times as a modifier, not as an adjective, or a verb.

Seriously, Steve, if you are going to come here, insulting and criticizing forum regulars ON YOUR VERY FIRST THREAD...at least get your facts straight! That's all we ask. We don't mind your inflammatory exaggerations, your defamating insinuations, or your slanderous and libelous accusations...as long as you have your facts straight, Steve.

Thanks!

Mr. Curve Dominant

#968188 - 01/02/02 03:51 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
So Eric, are you going to post a pix of this pedal? I'd like to see it. I had some early Ibanez pedals back in the 70's, and this sounds somewhat familiar, but I couldn't tell you w/o seeing it.

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Phil,

I don't know if I can post a pic, but I can certainly take a photo of the box and email it to you. The photo, that is.

E \:\)

#968189 - 01/02/02 03:52 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
WELCOME STEVE!!!

Steve,

My modification and re-post of your original post was a work of satire, meant to be taken with a sense of humor. The truth is, I never even bothered to listen to your music, so I have no idea if you are the reincarnation of John McGlaughlin or what, Steve.

Also, I must take exception with your exaggerated claims of my use of obscenity. I only utilized the term derived from the acronym of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" three times, not twenty, as you inaccurately claimed; and all three times as a modifier, not as an adjective, or a verb.

Seriously, Steve, if you are going to come here, insulting and criticizing forum regulars ON YOUR VERY FIRST THREAD...at least get your facts straight! That's all we ask. We don't mind your inflammatory exaggerations, your defamating insinuations, or your slanderous and libelous accusations...as long as you have your facts straight, Steve.

Thanks!

Mr. Curve Dominant

Right...

I was completely in the wrong... :p

And if you are going to chastize me for holding you accountable for your so-called "humorous" post of and vulgarity and baseless belittling of my music, at least get my NAME right...

It's Scott...

And as far as the "numbers" of actual use of F**K, who cares? once was unacceptable...

I wouldn't dream of attacking someone the way you did, for any reason, even if they were blatantly wrong...

You should re-evaluate your methods Eric...and learn to treat people with some basic respect...

As far as my coming into this forum and calling people on their behavior, I shouldn't have had to...

I posted without malice...and started none of this...

You'll find that I am completely professional, with no time for this kind of crap...

I wanted to set the record straight on my stance towards the unfair treatment, and if I'm not popular as a result, so be it...

I would rather not be popular and for the right reasons, than to act as if what you did was acceptable, just to be "in"...

Now, I'm through with this subject...let us discuss music...please...

Peace to you,

Scott

#968190 - 01/02/02 04:01 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by masternfool:
Welcome Scott, Just do as I do and read between all the Bullshit to get to the music related info...Harry

I'm trying...thanks bro...

Scott

#968191 - 01/02/02 04:02 PM Re: New to forum: first post
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Sheeeeesh!

I think a lot of people had tooooo much eggnog and champagne the last few days and killed a few brain cells in the process!

What a kick-off to the HAPPY…new year...HA!

<<...if you are going to come here, insulting and criticizing forum regulars ON YOUR VERY FIRST THREAD...>>

Well, I went back and re-read Scott's initial post...and I couldn't find any of the above.

He actually prefaced his so called "self-promotion" by saying <<...I hope it isn't too forward for me to do this in this forum...>>.

All this shit about him having to "do his homework" on the DOs and DON'Ts of these forums...AWWW COME ON FOLKS...there's always been soooooo much posting freedom here...let's not all become too full of ourselves…like this is some sort of "by-invitation-only-private-club"…what bullshit.

From the first response to his initial post there was this..."Oh oh...you fucked up and now you are going to get it"…theme.

There was no "Hey, welcome to the forums, but in case you didn't know...etc."

Craig...please flush this entire thread and let the guy just start over...now that he's been dragged over the coals.

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#968192 - 01/02/02 04:06 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miroslav:
Sheeeeesh!

I think a lot of people had tooooo much eggnog and champagne the last few days and killed a few brain cells in the process!

What a kick-off to the HAPPY…new year...HA!

<<...if you are going to come here, insulting and criticizing forum regulars ON YOUR VERY FIRST THREAD...>>

Well, I went back and re-read Scott's initial post...and I couldn't find any of the above.

He actually prefaced his so called "self-promotion" by saying <<...I hope it isn't too forward for me to do this in this forum...>>.

All this shit about him having to "do his homework" on the DOs and DON'Ts of these forums...AWWW COME ON FOLKS...there's always been soooooo much posting freedom here...let's not all become too full of ourselves…like this is some sort of "by-invitation-only-private-club"…what bullshit.

From the first response to his initial post there was this..."Oh oh...you fucked up and now you are going to get it"…theme.

There was no "Hey, welcome to the forums, but in case you didn't know...etc."

Craig...please flush this entire thread and let the guy just start over...now that he's been dragged over the coals.

Thanks miroslav...

I was considering deleting this thread myself, but wanted to be absolutely clear on my position before doing so...

Peace,

Scott

#968193 - 01/02/02 04:25 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Platinum Member

I agree with miroslav... Perhaps Craig could delete the thread... It's unnecessarily nasty, methinks...

And Scott... I for one am willing to give ya another chance... Perhaps you might consider getting a new screen name for the forums (and not disclose your identity, so nobody will prejduge you based on what happened on this thread), and participate in the discussions here so we can get to know ya. Then you can surprise us after you've gotten 1,000 posts and say, "Remember that Scott guy who started that "first post" thread? That was me" ;\)

Overall, we're a friendly bunch (the friendliest and most knowledgeable music forums I've seen), so stick around, go into the Musicplayer.com witness protection program (i.e. get a new screen name ;\) ), let this thread go by the wayside, and please participate in the other discussions.

#968194 - 01/02/02 04:30 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by popmusic:
I agree with miroslav... Perhaps Craig could delete the thread... It's unnecessarily nasty, methinks...

And Scott... I for one am willing to give ya another chance... Perhaps you might consider getting a new screen name for the forums (and not disclose your identity, so nobody will prejduge you based on what happened on this thread), and participate in the discussions here so we can get to know ya. Then you can surprise us after you've gotten 1,000 posts and say, "Remember that Scott guy who started that "first post" thread? That was me" ;\)

Overall, we're a friendly bunch (the friendliest and most knowledgeable music forums I've seen), so stick around, go into the Musicplayer.com witness protection program (i.e. get a new screen name ;\) ), let this thread go by the wayside, and please participate in the other discussions.

Thanks for the tip!

I will delete this thread later, but will keep my screen name...I did nothing wrong to be ashamed of, or out of malice...I'm not worried about the whole prejudging issue..

Since this is my screen name every where, it remains...

I appreciate the post...thanks...

Scott

#968195 - 01/02/02 04:32 PM Re: New to forum: first post
miroslav Offline
Cosmic Cowboy
10k Club

Loc: NY Hudson Valley, USA
Quote:
...you might consider getting a new screen name for the forums (and not disclose your identity, so nobody will prejduge you based on what happened on this thread), and participate in the discussions here so we can get to know ya. Then you can surprise us after you've gotten 1,000 posts and say, "Remember that Scott guy who started that "first post" thread? That was me"...

Hey pop,

I think he should just stick it out...otherwise there would be something else for some members to pick at down the road...know what I mean? ;\)

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

#968196 - 01/02/02 04:33 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjonesmusic:

I will delete this thread later

I think only moderators (i.e. Craig) can delete threads -- I don't think regular posters have the option.

#968197 - 01/02/02 04:35 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Scott Jones Offline

Quote:

I think only moderators (i.e. Craig) can delete threads -- I don't think regular posters have the option.

Actually, if I delete the first post it's all gone...

#968198 - 01/02/02 05:29 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Sjonesmusic
Member # 24110
posted 01-02-2002 01:35 PM                   

------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Actually, if I delete the first post it's all gone...

Try it and see if it works.

Seriously, though, this is one of the funniest threads we've had in recent memory.

I think we should keep it. It has a Python-esque classicism about it. I find it quite delightful, personally.

What do you think, KHAN? Should we keep this guy, or obliterate him?

E \:\)

#968199 - 01/02/02 05:30 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

oops...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Curve Dominant ]

#968200 - 01/02/02 05:32 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

oops again...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Curve Dominant ]

#968201 - 01/02/02 06:20 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

Loc: Bunda Léle Studios - Mexico
I wish my first thread had these many replys... hey wait a minute... what am I saying?? :p

- - - - - -

Hey TEDSTER... you can not imagine how loud I laughed when I read your SPAM message... \:D \:D \:D Thanks God it is Jan 2nd and there's none around in the office...

... Where's the KORN RULES thing?

#968202 - 01/02/02 06:27 PM Re: New to forum: first post
BUSH IS GOD Offline

BE QVIET, ALL UFF YOU, OR I'LL HAFF TO BLOW YOU ALL OPP!

By ze vay, Korn Rrrulez.

#968203 - 01/02/02 06:34 PM Re: New to forum: first post
KornRulez Offline

Loc: LA,CA,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by GusTraX:

... Where's the KORN RULES thing?

FYI, It's KornRuleZ....

Z

With a "Z"

#968204 - 01/02/02 06:42 PM Re: New to forum: first post
Keith Richards Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED KINGDOM
That reminds me of the time me an' Mick were at the Danceland in '64 and we got chased off the bloody stage.

Or that time in the states in '72 when they tear gassed the crowd.

I remembered kinda liking the smell of that tear gas stuff... Not too bad.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >