Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#968102 - 09/10/01 11:32 PM MICHIGAN SCHOOLS? WHICH IS BEST?
Walter E. Kurtz Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
I am going to graduate in May from Central Michigan University with a double major of Broadcasting and Cinematic Arts, and Sociology. I am trying to figure out what the best possible school I can go to in Michigan is. I am stuck here because for various reasons and need to further my education (I already have taken every audio class at C.M.U.). I'm unsure if I should go for a masters, or just supplement with a technical school. I plan to open my own small studio, but don't want to try to do it on a bachelors alone. Any advice folks?

#968103 - 09/11/01 07:27 PM Re: MICHIGAN SCHOOLS? WHICH IS BEST?
jackass Offline

Many people start studios with much less than a bachelors. If you're not educated or don't feel qualified to open a studio right now, why do you intend to open a studio? For that matter, why would you study two subjects that have very little, if anything to do with the studio business if that's what you intended to get into? Maybe you should find a studio nearby and go to work there. Even if you're not qualified, some studios would probably take you as an intern. Have fun!!!

--JA

#968104 - 09/26/01 02:52 PM Re: MICHIGAN SCHOOLS? WHICH IS BEST?
plus3db@netzero.net Offline

Loc: Farmington Hills,MI,UNITED STA...
Walter,

I graduated from CMU in 92 with the same major as you. After graduation, I studied for a summer at the Recording Institute of Detroit, which is in Eastpoint. I wish I could say I can recommend it...but I cant for various reasons. In other words, I was very disappointed with Recording Institute of Detroit...it turned out to be a big rip off. Other than the Recording Institute of Detroit, I have not heard of any recording schools in Mich., especially not in the Mid Mich area.

In 95, I moved to Nashville to attend Middle Tennessee State University, enrolled in the RIM (Recording Industry Management and Technology) program, for a couple of years...it was a great experience! MTSU has an outstanding program, with knowledgable instructors, top notch gear, you get a lot of hands-on time working in the studios + in state Tenn. tuition was very reasonable. If you have the ability to move, you should check out MTSU.

#968105 - 09/27/01 03:17 AM Re: MICHIGAN SCHOOLS? WHICH IS BEST?
Walter E. Kurtz Offline

Thanks for the info plus3dB. I unfortunately am stuck in Michigan for a long time. My girlfriend has a 3 year old, and shares joint custody, so I am going to have to stay here. Thanks a lot for the info though. I've heard that Grand Valley has a Math-Physics-Music undergrad degree, so maybe I can go there for grad school. Who knows. Thanks again for the info, and the warning. Dr. Henderson would say Hi I'm sure. Take it easy.