Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#967061 - 08/08/01 05:18 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
dinopop Offline

Loc: Arlington,TX,UNITED STATES
I was reading through this to see if anyone mentioned Guy Ritchie's movies and saw fantasticsound beat to the punch with "Snatch".

Gotta throw in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". If you liked "Snatch" you'll like this one too. Great melding of music and visuals in both movies.

Another great musical moment for me is the scene in "Partriot Games" where the folks at CIA headquarters are standing around sipping coffee and watching, via satelite, a commando raid on a terrorist camp. A tense subtle underscore through the scene adds to the chill when one of the agents takes a sip and says "That... is a kill".

This message has been edited by dinopop on 08-08-2001 at 02:19 AM

#967062 - 08/08/01 05:34 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia USA
Yous all heard about this, right?...

"Apocalypse Now" is coming back to the theaters, recut, 3 hours and 16 minutes.

The sound of those choppers, blasting Wagner's "Ride Of The Valkyries"...oh, Lord, I can't wait to hear that in the theater.

The sound of that film is ...indescribable. You could be legally blind, and sit through that film in the theater, and know EXACTLY what's going on at every minute.

I'll go up that river with Martin Sheen ANY DAY!

E

#967063 - 08/08/01 05:51 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
"Memories of Green" - Vangelis from the _Bladerunner_ soundtrack...

Michael Nyman's _The Piano_ soundtrack...

------------------
New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

#967064 - 08/08/01 11:34 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
"Apocalypse Now" is coming back to the theaters, recut, 3 hours and 16 minutes.

and even better, the whole Apocalypse Now Redux edit has been assembled by Walter Murch. Fresh Air ran a couple of shows on the rerelease last week. Murch played a couple of amazing sequences, including the hotel room. Murch is a huge talent and has influenced everyone who even thinks about film sound after him.

#967065 - 08/19/01 03:13 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Platinum Member

I think someone already mentioned it, but the Final Fantasy movie has great audio. I just saw it in a 2nd run theater, and I had a very similar feeling after watching it as I did when I saw Tron back in 1982: It's not a great film, but WOW -- it's a film that's gonna be remembered as having opened up a whole new world of filmmaking.

I would not be surprised at all if the Star Wars sequels were completely computer-generated like Final Fantasy... By the time the prequels are done, I'd imagine this technology could be very close to seamless... They could have Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia look like they hadn't aged a day since Return of the Jedi. Heck, the Phantom Menace was 90% computer generated -- I'd have no problem believing they might eventually go 100% computer generated should they decide to do some sequels.

Ah well, it's no Star Wars, but Final Fantasy is visually and aurally incredible. Catch it on the big screen if you still can.

#967066 - 01/24/02 06:40 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
topper74 Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
This was a cool thread a few months ago, and I thought It would be cool to see if anyone has some new favs. I would add Swordfish to the list. Some great sound FX, and camera work. Also, there is a new Tombstone DVD that is done in DTS that sounds great. Anybody added some favorites to their list?

#967067 - 01/24/02 06:50 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
topper74 Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
:rolleyes:

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: topper74 ]

#967068 - 01/24/02 07:00 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Dak Lander Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Temecula, LoCal, USA
Just to name a few. Some old, some new.

Tin Cup
Oh Brother Where Art Thou (of course)
Heavens Gate
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Cat Ballou
Jeremiah Johnson
Deliverance

I never done that before...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

#967069 - 01/24/02 09:29 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
coolhouse Offline

Loc: Lafayette,TN,UNITED STATES
Here are my all-time fave soundtracks.

The Robe....Alfred Newman
Spartacus....Alex North
Bobby Deerfield....Dave Grusin
Glory....James Horner
The Red Violin...John Corigliano
Gladiator....Hans Zimmer
The Patriot....John Williams

These are all original works commissioned specifically for their films. While I have a soft spot for some compilation soundtracks(O Brother Where Art Thou being my runaway favorite),I have often believed they would be the death of real soundtrack composition. I discovered that I loved music through the movies and I have been delighted to see the resurgence of this art-form.

later,

Mike

#967070 - 01/24/02 09:42 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
So many choices - almost impossible.

The Insider did have a great score. Especially the scene where he is deciding whether or not to testify in court.

Anything by Danny Elfman is great.

Killing Zoe - this movie featured some nice electronic Drums -n- Bass type stuff (which hadn't really been used too much in the early 90s - when the film came out.)

As far as sound design/sound effects, I just saw Black Hawk Down (BTW, the best book you'll ever read and a great movie to boot!) The guns, grenades, helicopters, explosions, etc... were all amazing and a must to see on the big screen.

#967071 - 01/25/02 04:48 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
Update...

This afternoon, a friend whom I visited played me a few passages from the soundtrack to the film "The Insider," which

how unique and intensly beautiful it is. I don't remember many specifics, besides that the singer from Dead Can Dance was a co-composer, and she sings beautifully as well, though very haunting. Highly recommended.

Lisa Gerrard. Did _Gladiator_ with Hans Zimmer. It's funny how many people refer to "The Insider" as being a good movie, when it was a "nothing" at the box office, right?

Another example of the entertainment industry missing their own boat.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3