Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#967031 - 07/16/01 05:06 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas had a great, micro-cassette recorder sound throughout that really added to the..... ambience of the movie, lent a great "documenting an idiotic disaster in the process" feel to it. Brave as well - I'm sure many people thought the squashed and fuzzy sound was a mistake....

------------------
New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

#967032 - 07/16/01 06:13 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
fet Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
Don't know much about current flicks, but movie music lovers have gotta know about the music of the great Bernard Herrmann: ominous, portentous, psychologically intense. Particularly recommended: his work for Hitchcock, (especially Vertigo), and his final score, for the film Taxi Driver.

#967033 - 07/16/01 06:26 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fet:
his work for Hitchcock, (especially Vertigo)

Vertigo -- yes, yes, yes!!! That's such a terrific score. The soundtrack holds up as a great piece of music even if you take it out of the film (which is still probably one of the greatest films ever made, IMHO )...

From what I've read, many of the old-time Hollywood composers started off with the intention of becoming "serious" classical composers, but ended up writing movie scores as a way to pay the bills... Which I think would account for the quality and sophistication of soundtracks like Vertigo... (I don't know enough about Bernard Hermann's career to say if that was definitely the case, but I'd have no doubt believing it probably was.)

This message has been edited by popmusic on 07-16-2001 at 03:30 PM

#967034 - 07/16/01 07:05 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
geoffk Offline
Gold Member

Moulin Rouge...great sfx and music editing...great movie

#967035 - 07/16/01 07:32 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
My favorite movie music moment so far this summer: Eddie Murphy as the Donkey in "Shrek" quoting Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness". Had to play the original for the kids when we got home. For days, my 10, 7, and 5 year olds went around singing "you gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta try a little tenderness". Beats the hell out of the latest batch of teen pop.

Laughed through the movie so much that I don't remember much of the soundtrack. Unbelievably detailed animation. Hilarious. Mike Myers reprises his "if it's not Scottish, it's crap" accent.

#967036 - 07/16/01 10:32 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Great tips, everyone. Now I'm armed and ready when I hit the video store...just rented Crouching Tiger etc.

#967037 - 07/16/01 10:35 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Two really out there movies you might have missed...

Fellini's "Satyricon" had a truly different sound track; it's sort of primitive/furturistic at the same time. All acoustic instruments, but very unusual.

Then there's the infamous movie "Liquid Sky," which is plenty weird enough as is...but the soundtrack sounds like it was done by someone who had the chance to rent a Fairlight for a weekend and recorded everything he played, then put together the soundtrack. Weird science, indeed.

#967038 - 07/16/01 10:38 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you liked "Spinal Tap," check out "The Big Picture" starring Kevin Bacon. It has the same kind of sensibility, but applied to the film industry. When he finally does the music video of "the Pez People"...well, I won't spoil it for you. It's an older movie, but you can find it at most rental stores, and it sometimes shows on the Independent Film Channel on cable or satellite. Two thumbs up.

#967039 - 07/17/01 12:01 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Tim Walters Offline

Loc: ,,US
I must like these the best, because I bought the CDs:

--Black Orpheus (amazing Carnaval field recordings and early bossa nova)
--Forbidden Planet (cybernetic "electronic tonalities" from 1956, the sound of circuits feeding back and burning out--a bit ahead of our time, let alone theirs. The union wouldn't let them call it music!)
--O Brother, Where Art Thou? ('nuff said already)

#967040 - 07/17/01 01:37 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
BP3 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"The Messenger" Eric Serra's score (who sings a lot like Peter Gabriel in "The Fifth Element" soundtrack) is lush. Much like an extra charachter.

"Traffic"
"Blade Runner"
"Birdy"
"Funny Bones"
"Grosse Point Blank"
"Silverado"
"Dr. Strangelove".................................................

Has anyone got "Big Trouble in Little China" on DVD. In the deleted scenes section they have scenes from the movie with the missing scenes added, sans music. Boring as shit. I never realised how much even bad music can add to a movie.

#967041 - 07/17/01 02:28 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
malpasoman@cs.com Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Kama Sutra, just about anything by Zbigniew Preisner(At play in the fields of the lord, Red, Bleu, Blanc, Secret garden, etc.), Restoration, anything by Vangelis. Mosquito Coast has a great soundtrack. The Year of living dangerously is incredible.

#967042 - 07/23/01 08:49 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

Loc: Bunda Léle Studios - Mexico
After a long while, I went to the movies last weekend and I remembered all the time this thread.

JURASSIC PARK III. Oh man, I'm not sure what to say about the scoring (music) but the Sound FX were absolutely AWESOME. Same main theme, though.

PEARL HARBOR. I loved his music, but often times it reminded me to "TITANIC". It even has a chord progression and sounds very similar to the different versions used to score with the "My Heart will go on" mood... As a whole, it was a great experience.

------------------
Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:
MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo
"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

#967043 - 07/24/01 12:05 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TinderArts:
"The Messenger" Eric Serra's score (who sings a lot like Peter Gabriel in "The Fifth Element" soundtrack) is lush. Much like an extra charachter.

Who did the vocal in Serra's "Light of Love" from the Fifth Angel soundtrack? Great guitar hook in that, great/neat vocal performance - I've heard it was Milla Jovanovich, and it sounds like her, BUT... does anyone know?

------------------
New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

#967044 - 07/24/01 01:40 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ft Wayne,IN,UNITED STATES
Uh-oh...not another conversation about Pearl Harbor.

The soundtrack was fine...in moderation. Unfortunately the plot and emotion was so weak that they had to completely overscore the movie to try to get you to feel anything. I think there's like 4 hours of music in that 3 hour movie.

From the rental section:

The Firm - the Tom Cruise movie. The entire soundtrack is Dave Grusin on piano. I dug it, very much.

Run Lola Run - the quirky German movie. It's a great use of a very driving tempo electronic soundtrack. It's good "workout" music.

JFK - I'll go back to this one MANY times. Just listen to the corps of high tension snares that John Williams scored in during the Dealy Plaza incident.

Jungle Book - I'm in agreement with whoever said that! Between Louis Prima, Phil Harris and Sebastian Cabot you can't go wrong! One of Disney's best ever.

And are we really counting musicals? 'Cause if we are I'll rent Jesus Christ Superstar for the 347th time. This is Webber and Rice's best work ever, and the movie does it justice.

Those are my first thoughts........ As for new releases........enh?

Nika.

#967045 - 07/24/01 02:23 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
dondottcomm Offline

Loc: Orlando Fl.
I love those spagetti westerns....I've got brain lock cant remember
who did the music for those[Good the Bad and the Ugly]Enzio something
and the I just saw a movie on tape that was really good..Almost Famous
it remided me of the music I used to listen to as a kid

Don

Don

#967046 - 07/24/01 02:25 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Nika:
The Firm - the Tom Cruise movie. The entire soundtrack is Dave Grusin on piano. I dug it, very much.
Nika.

I don't want to make this as the 96k thread... I just agree: "The Firm" soundtrack is a piece of art...

#967047 - 07/24/01 02:28 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by dondottcomm:
I love those spagetti westerns....I've got brain lock cant remember
who did the music for those[Good the Bad and the Ugly]Enzio something
Don

Ennio Morricone...his music for "The Mission" is legendary also.

#967048 - 07/24/01 02:30 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia USA
Update...

This afternoon, a friend whom I visited played me a few passages from the soundtrack to the film "The Insider," which was an absolutely riviting film starring Al Pacino and Russel Crowe. I vaguely remember liking the music when I saw the film, but listening to it today I was just flabberghasted at how unique and intensly beautiful it is. I don't remember many specifics, besides that the singer from Dead Can Dance was a co-composer, and she sings beautifully as well, though very haunting. Highly recommended.

E

#967049 - 07/24/01 03:19 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
Update...

This afternoon, a friend whom I visited played me a few passages from the soundtrack to the film "The Insider," which was an absolutely riviting film starring Al Pacino and Russel Crowe. I vaguely remember liking the music when I saw the film, but listening to it today I was just flabberghasted at how unique and intensly beautiful it is. I don't remember many specifics, besides that the singer from Dead Can Dance was a co-composer, and she sings beautifully as well, though very haunting. Highly recommended.

E

Good flick. Don't remember the music. I imagine it had to have been good..... the movie worked so well en total.

#967050 - 07/24/01 05:47 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
This afternoon, a friend whom I visited played me a few passages from the soundtrack to the film "The Insider"

from http://us.imdb.com
Original music by
Pieter Bourke
Lisa Gerrard
Graeme Revell (additional music)

IMDb is an amazing resource for cross-linked cast and crew credits, plot summaries, production notes, trade awards and everything else that people who love movies love to impress each other with. The Insider is a film by Michael Mann. I think Mann really demonstrates the role a director can play in the score. Mann has always shown a real sensitivity to production and atmospherics, and that is why people like Brian Eno and Terje Rypdal carry an original music credit in "Heat" or Daniel Lanois in "Last of the Mohicans" or Jan Hammer in "Miami Vice" (of course!). The contribution that they make is apparent and rich, but they exist alongside the traditional scoring elements and cues. obviously he doesn't hire any slouches for that work either.

#967051 - 07/30/01 03:43 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I rented "Snatch" tonight.

Guy Ritchie is a pretty good filmmaker, and the soundtrack/sound effects are very well done.

Nika.

#967052 - 07/30/01 02:01 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Felix_dup1 Offline

Loc: Portland,RI,UNITED STATES
It isn't going to win any Academy Awards, that's for sure, but the Fast and the Furious had some pretty intense sound effects and some cool dance/techno music. The race scenes really had me on the edge of my seat!

I also thought the music in Fight Club was cool. Razorfish too.

#967053 - 08/01/01 11:20 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Sp3nc3r Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. John's, NL., Canada
I went to see Final Fantasy last night. Holy mother of G, what a movie! Not only was the animation good enough to make me forget that it was animated, but the sound was completely amazing! This is a flick worth checking in the theatre.

And I enjoyed it, even though I've never played the video game. The buddies I were with have played just about all of them, so they were picking up on little things unique to the games that I would never notice.

Still, one of the coolest movies I've seen in a long time.

Spencer

This message has been edited by Spencer Crewe on 08-01-2001 at 08:23 AM

#967054 - 08/07/01 02:15 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Gus Lozada Offline
10k Club

PLANET OF THE APES...

Danny Elfman Rules in the score!
Awesome Sound Effects too.

------------------
Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:
MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo
"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

#967055 - 08/07/01 03:05 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
strat0124 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,VA,UNITED STATES
Whomever that was in the film Dead Man Walking, doing the music for the crime scene flashbacks......it was absolutely chilling.

#967056 - 08/07/01 04:24 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Nika Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally posted by strat0124:
Whomever that was in the film Dead Man Walking, doing the music for the crime scene flashbacks......it was absolutely chilling.

It was indeed a very chilling movie. I know that Eddie Vedder had a part in the soundtrack. I know he was the vocalist on the title track (incoherent babblings and lou reed style singing), but I think he was involved musically in other ways as well.

There's a little Seattle music trivia from a Seattleite for ya'

Nika.

#967057 - 08/07/01 06:25 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Tedster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm with Gus...

Jurass-has-HAD-it Park Three...I still like the original score. And you've got to see it in surround THX or whatever to feel the roar.

Actually, nice, silly, predictable movie...tons of fun. (Sings..."Poke Salad Annie...Raptor's gotcher granny, CHOMP, CHOMP, CHOMP...)

#967058 - 08/07/01 06:45 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
geoffk Offline
Gold Member

Wow..have to disagree on FF. Some sounds were WAY 'ultra-maximized', and the voices were all recorded in different studios (or sounded like it) so that when two people were talking to each other it didn't sound like they were in the same room what-so-ever.
POA I thought was excellent though. Of course not as great a score as the original.

#967059 - 08/07/01 06:57 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Loc: Madison,TN, UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by Nika:
I rented "Snatch" tonight.

Guy Ritchie is a pretty good filmmaker, and the soundtrack/sound effects are very well done.

Nika.

If you read my post on Snatch, you know how much I like this movie.

For me, the vibe created with different musical passages is very unique. For example, when Boris the Blade is on screen, there is an eerie, Russian melody drenched in reverb that preceeds him, much like the characters in Prokofiev's Peter in the wolf. Different themes sound with other characters.

It works very well with the editing style of the movie. High contrast between soft, spoken sections, with short, loud, tense pieces of music and quick edits to compress some action into a few seconds.

Interesting point about the Jungle Book. The original animated version was supposed to mimic the dark, sinister feel of the Kipling book. Disney changed his mind in the middle of production.

He hired different composers to accomplish the musical sound design. "The Bear Neccessities" is the only song from the original score that made the new cut. They were very smart to tap it and not scrap it, just because it was connected with the cancelled production.

------------------
Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 08-07-2001 at 04:05 PM

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#967060 - 08/07/01 10:41 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by strat0124:
Whomever that was in the film Dead Man Walking , doing the music for the crime scene flashbacks......it was absolutely chilling.

IMDb list the credits this way:
Original music by
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
David Robbins
Patti Smith (song) (uncredited)
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Waits

The Eddie Vedder / Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan duet plays over the credits if I recall correctly. David Robbins is Tim Robbins brother, I think. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is amazing, soulful and dead.

Pat

This message has been edited by spokenWard@netscape.net on 08-07-2001 at 07:45 PM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >