Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#967001 - 07/14/01 04:09 AM Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I used to teach a class in the summer, and every year I'd have the students go see the same movie, and we'd discuss the soundtrack and use of sound effects in class. Well, it's "summer blockbuster" time again...have you heard any good movie soundtracks or sound effects yet? Anything that made you go "wow, that sure was great sound/music"?

#967002 - 07/14/01 05:02 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Curve Dominant Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Philadelphia USA
Tan Dun's soundtrack to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" hit me in my soul. Oceans of sound that you want to drown in. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

"The Million Dollar Hotel" is a must-rent. Lyrics by Salmon Rushdie, sung by Bono...oh, deep, man. Starring Mel Gibson, Milla Jovovich, Jeremy Davies (you have to see his performance to believe it - the biggest leap in film acting since Brando's "Streetcar..."), Jimmy Smits (in a hilarious comic role), Julian Sands (who has an excellent monologue in the film expounding on the fine line between "art" and "garbage")...it's the quirky art film from hell, with a fantastic soundtrack. Two thumbs up.

"The Pledge" directed by Sean Penn and starring Jack Nicholson, is devastatingly beautiful. It doesn't have a happy ending, but it will hit you hard in your soul. Good for ya once in awhile. Two thumbs up.

"Romeo Is Bleeding" will also break your heart, but a strong heart has been broken a few times, so rent it. You won't notice the soundtrack, and that's what makes it so effective. Starring Gary Oldman and Lena Olin, both turning in scorchingly convincing performances. Two thumbs up.

"Ghost Dog, Way Of The Samurai" starring Forest Whitaker as a mafia hitman, has a fantastic soundtrack produced by RZA of Wu-Tang, and it's a little gem of a film that you'll want to own. Two thumbs up.

A brief list of additional film score favorites in the Curve Lounge CD library...

"The Last Emperor" - Sakamoto
"The Year Of Living Dangerously" - Maurice Jarre
"You Only Live Twice" - John Barry
"Buena Vista Social Club" - various artists, including Ibrahim Ferrer, Ruben Gonzalez, Ry Cooder, Compay Secundo, Eliades Ochoa...

E

#967003 - 07/14/01 06:04 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
dansouth Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metuchen,NJ,UNITED STATES
- The Mummy II

- Tomb Raider

- Dr. Doolittle II

All fun flicks with excellent sound and music.

I haven't seen it, but I'll bet The Fast And The Furious has some slamming jams.

Looking forward to Final Fantasy and Planet of the Apes.

#967004 - 07/14/01 06:32 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
stanner Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: san francisco,,UNITED STATES
~traffic~ music by david torn guitarrorist/looper/composer extrordinaire

#967005 - 07/14/01 06:32 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Bobro Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
Tan Dun's soundtrack to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" hit me in my soul. Oceans of sound that you want to drown in. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Very beautiful movie, and the first movie soundtrack of cohesive beauty I've heard in a long time. Best and most moving movie I've seen in the last couple of years.

The original Planet of the Apes had a great soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith, it'll be interesting to hear the new one- I hope.

-CB

#967006 - 07/14/01 07:37 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Bobro Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stanner:
~traffic~ music by david torn guitarrorist/looper/composer extrordinaire

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. It's still playing here. Hollywood movies come a bit later here, dubbed into German. Been watching the summer blockbusters steadily for the last month, the popcorn is terrible but I don't mind.

The Mummy Returns soundtrack? hm...well I enjoyed watching the villainess. There are some fine bits of fx-music in Tomb Raider...Red Planet was a cool but maybe not entirely successful attempt at good old-fashioned "hard sci-fi", the music I'd file under "at least it didn't bug".

-CB

#967007 - 07/14/01 12:26 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Guest Room Warrior Offline

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Hans Zimmer's score for "Gladiator" worked on so many levels, and I really like the vocalist he worked with.

The music in "O Brother, Where Art Thou" is too much fun. Gillian Welch (among other) was a music consultant on the film, and I'm a HUGE fan of hers.
oughta be a law."

#967008 - 07/14/01 01:56 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
jackpine Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Luck,WI
I just saw "Brother where art thou" and I have to say that the music is almost another character in the movie. Could almost be considered a musical....but its not. The use of music in this movie is borderline genius.

#967009 - 07/14/01 02:51 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Uh Clem Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jackpine:
I just saw "Brother where art thou" and I have to say that the music is almost another character in the movie. Could almost be considered a musical....but its not. The use of music in this movie is borderline genius.

Definitely!

#967010 - 07/14/01 03:36 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Parisongs Offline

Loc: Austin,TX,UNITED STATES
Wow! The whole time I was listening to Traffic I was saying to myself "this ambient sound track is really reminisscent of David Torn". Very cool.

#967011 - 07/14/01 03:38 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Bonafide Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, Ca.
I'll tell you,

I have been waiting VERY patiently to see 'The lord of the rings'. It is supposed to come out next year. It has been in the making for a few years now and it supposed to rival 'Star Wars' in production. Actually the word is it has already spent more than SW on production. Can't wait to hear that Soundtrack. I had a dream as a kid, I wanted to produce that movie. I would spend hours casting it over the years. I had my ideal choices for Aragorn, Gandolf, etc. Still waiting.. The Cool thing is, the whole movie is shot in Europe with mostly unknowns. That movie needed to be produced without any Hollywood. What is it about european movies, they just have more grit.

Cheers.

#967012 - 07/14/01 03:42 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
JingleJungle Offline

Loc: Switzerland, Europa
1) American Beauty
2) Finding Forrester (w/ Bill Frisell)
3) Traffic (of course)
4) Amores Perros (a mex. film that features a lotta guitar overdubbed loops - something like Pat metheny's Electric Counterpoint)

Guitarists are starting to rule Hollywood... synths are out...

Paul

#967013 - 07/14/01 04:04 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Jonathan Hughes Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Amherst, NY, USA
The Traffic soundtrack is killer, but it's by Cliff Martiniez, not David Torn. David Torn is credited with "textural constructions, guitar." It also features Jeff Rona, Michael Brook, Flea, Herbie Hancock, Alex Acuna, and Paulinho DaCosta.

Jonathan

#967014 - 07/14/01 05:35 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Anonymous
Unregistered

it's interesting that so many of the movies mentioned are released on DVD.

so, did we see them in the theater and form our opinions - or were our opinions shaped by having a decent audio presentation in our own homes?

fwiw - I haven't seen much in a cold dark room with strangers other than "Memento". In that movie, over the closing credits I think that there is a nice oblique reference to the construction metaphor. David Bowie from the cut-up lyric days. I was amused.

#967015 - 07/14/01 06:22 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
rold Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: supernatural BC CANADA
hmmm..haven't been paying too much attention lately so if memory serves:

Music: The Mission (starring Jeremy Irons?)
SFX: The Cell (Starring j lopex)

#967016 - 07/14/01 07:26 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
strat0124 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: ,VA,UNITED STATES
Ry Cooder's stuff always is damn cool. O' brother gets my foot tapping big time. I hear ole Dan's putting out an album too, can't wait. I've always like Mark Isham's work, both solo albums and movie soundtracks.

#967017 - 07/14/01 09:46 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Grave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bonafide:
I have been waiting VERY patiently to see 'The lord of the rings'.

Me, too...the previews look great. I have very high hopes for these movies. Hey, anything's gotta be better than the Bakshi version

the whole movie is shot in Europe

New Zealand. Peter Jackson directing. Check out the web site - it's very cool!

with mostly unknowns.

Some well known faces, though...Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan, Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen...

I'm really psyched...

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#967018 - 07/14/01 09:50 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
clock Offline

Loc: sdlkjh;sjlhg;ljk,AR,UNITED STA...
not new,
but the music in " the rock" will grab on and hold on. I've watched it over and over just for the music. Hans went the extra mile

As far as songs go, "notting hill" get two thumbs up. I can see the guys going "hunh, what's notting hill". It was a chick flick in 98 with julia and hugh grant.

#967019 - 07/15/01 01:52 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
murph Offline

Loc: Plantation,FL,UNITED STATES
On the flip side, I thought that 'Castaway' brilliantly did not have much of a soundtrack. In fact, all of the music was standard background music until he hit the island. Then there was nothing until Wilson went away. When the music finally came in, it hit me like a ball-peen hammer!

And I have to also agree with everyone who mentioned "CrouTiHidDrag".

#967020 - 07/15/01 03:08 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
mr. rob Offline

Loc: minneapolis,MN,UNITED STATES
Dancer in the dark:
Face it Lars Von Trier can do more with a handful of digital camcorders a dedicated cast than most directors will with the greatest of budgets. I just think this film is cool because its a "musical" and stars bjork who works in a factory and fades into the world of music inspired by industrial noises. Its also cool because Von Trier goes and breaks most of his rules from the dogma school he founded, that is only using handheld camera's and only recording on location using natural lighting recording everything and just hammering away till the cast gets in "the zone". Also, his other work features no music. This film is a "musical":-)
However it lacks the power and depth of breaking the waves. Still, its very clever how the sound design of regular scenes is amplified to full blown tunes as bjork escapes her psychotic life. You owe it to yourself to rent this film.

Traffic of course. Also, Schizopolis is a trip. I dont even remember how the sound design and score is, but its just a whacky nutty piece of work. Soderberg is cool because he can just tell some dramatic thrilling story, and in a turn get very experimental.

Also, if your going to consider ghostdog I'd say check out another Jaramouche film, Dead Man. It has to be one of the most poetic films and scores I have ever heard featuring a very lyrical guitar from neil young. Also an influence of Jim Jaramouche is Werner herzog, I know its an old film, but Aguirre the Wrath of God has cool music:-) Dead Man though is a BRILLIANT film, much better than ghost dog.

This message has been edited by mr. rob on 07-15-2001 at 03:23 AM

#967021 - 07/15/01 03:41 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Stephen Fortner Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Oakland, CA, UNITED STATES
To nominate something where I think the soundtrack detracted from the emotional impact of the film, I'd choose "A.I." Like any thirtysomething, I was raised on Star Wars and hate to knock John Williams, but I'm from Vermont and that score was a bigger bucket of sap than I've ever seen hanging on any maple tree. Apart from the issue of whether the movie was good or bad, I just felt it needed something more minimalist in terms of a soundtrack. As it was, the predictable orchestral swells amounted to the film commanding the audience "OK, this is where you're supposed to feel bad for the little cybernetic boy again." A freakin' Danny Elfman soundtrack would've been an upgrade. (Don't get me wrong, I like his work and think that he's been perfect for every film he's scored.)
I agree with the positive comments about "Crouching Tiger." To mention a couple of classics, Vangelis' score for "Blade Runner" and Peter Gabriel for "Last Temptation of Christ." Love those.

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Keyboard Magazine
Contributor, Gearslutz.com

#967022 - 07/15/01 05:16 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
the stranger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: THE TOP
Ghost Dog was good. I've been wanting to rent it again.

Where art thou was good, too.

American Beauty had me in love with the xylophone.

Castaway was totally awesome in it's use of silence. It made the island portion perfect. It was a deafining silence.

Proof Of Life had some good stuff going. The Van Morrison song at the end is perfect.

I love a good movie. I hate this shit that some movies do now, though. Where the movie is just a vehicle to sell the soundtrack. They just squeeze in little clips here and there. They are usually placed haphazardly. These types of soundtracks just detract. That is not a soundtrack. That is a fucking advertisment.
A soundtrack is supposed to provide emotional emphasis. A great soundtrack can make a good movie great.

#967023 - 07/15/01 07:29 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Bobro Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr. rob:
[B

Also an influence of Jim Jaramouche is Werner herzog, I know its an old film, but Aguirre the Wrath of God has cool music:-)
[/B]

Oh yeah! That's Popol Vuh on the soundtrack and the late great Klaus Kinski in the lead role.

Looks like Hollywood is taking a shot at Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris". I'm on edge about that one, because the original film by Tarkovsky has a fantastic soundtrack, by Edward Artemiev. At any rate it'll be great publicity for Lem- people have been enjoying popular works "influenced" (to use a euphamism) by Lem for half a century, time for the real thing.

-CB

This message has been edited by Bobro on 07-15-2001 at 06:20 AM

#967024 - 07/15/01 04:34 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Chip McDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Augusta, Ga. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobro:

Looks like Hollywood is taking a shot at Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris". I'm on edge about that one, because the original film by Tarkovsky has a fantastic soundtrack, by Edward Artemiev.

Allan Holdsworth would be great for that book. I haven't seen the Tarkovsy film, however...

------------------
New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

#967025 - 07/15/01 10:25 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Bobro Offline
Platinum Member

Just saw Traffic- yip, good soundtrack, plenty of silent stretches, too. The music was the right "size" for the movie I think, it didn't Mickey Mouse the action or rely on cliched associations and basically just sounded good. The both-sides-of-the-coin/yin-yang/traffic-goes-in-both-directions theme of the film was really well done.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chip McDonald:
Allan Holdsworth would be great for that book. I haven't seen the Tarkovsy film, however...

Adrien Belew for "Cybiriad" and Xenakis for "Invincible", yeah!

Tarkovsky's Solaris is probably my favorite movie, certainly has had the most effect on me of any film. The soundtrack is basically synth noisescapes and a Bach chorale prelude.

-CB

#967026 - 07/16/01 06:16 AM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
dansouth Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Metuchen,NJ,UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by strat0124:
Ry Cooder's stuff always is damn cool.

I believe that Ry Cooder did the music for Southern Comfort, a film about Army Reserve weekend soldiers who tangle with the wrong group of Cajun trappers. It wasn't a hugely popular film, but it's riveting, and the music contributes a lot to the overall backwoods spookiness.

My all time fave soundtracks -

- (Any Fred Astaire or Gene Kelley movie)
- Psycho
- Ben Hur
- Hard Days Night
- The Graduate
- Easy Rider
- A Clockwork Orange
- The Pink Panther
- Shaft
- The Godfather
- Apocolypse Now
- Jaws
- Galipoli
- Chariots Of Fire
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark
- Risky Business
- The Blues Brothers
- The Mission
- Home Alone
- The Four Seasons (with Alan Alda)
- Romeo Is Bleeding
- Do The Right Thing
- Pump Up The Volume
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- The Crow
- Forrest Gump
- Apollo 13
- Romeo + Juliet (90's version with Leonardo di Caprio)
- The Full Monty
- Gladiator
- The Mummy Returns

#967027 - 07/16/01 01:15 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Botch. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ogden, Utard
Saw "Pearl Harbor" last night, soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. I have trouble listening to "just" the soundtrack, get too caught up in the movie, but if the music carries/reinforces the emotions, its good (I'm STILL drained from that movie).

#967028 - 07/16/01 01:35 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
fantasticsound Offline
10k Club

Loc: Madison,TN, UNITED STATES
Quote:
Originally posted by jackpine:

Buy the soundtrack and read the exquisite liner notes. The music IS another character in the movie, at least in the opinion of the producers. I agree.

I saw Traffic and wholeheartedly agree with previous posters.

But the Holy Grail of sound on picture for me is... Snatch!

This movie must have come and gone so fast I didn't see a single commercial for it. We watched the DVD on the bus (when the gennie was working! Doh!) without the benefit of a decent listening environment or kick butt surround sound system. It still blew me away. They probably won't be spoken in the same breath with "Oscar" next year, but the visual and audio design and editing deserve that award. Hands down. No CG, no futuristic setting to create previously unknown sounds for, but this film is what we all should strive for when dealing with sound to picture.

And the movie is hilarious. If you liked Pulp Fiction and Get Shorty (a couple of other good soundtracks) you'll love this.

If you don't like Brad Pitt (If you flat out HATE Brad Pitt), you'll like him in THIS.

They should direct deposit to my checking account for this lovefest, but I swear, it's everything I've said and more.

Maybe it's all the English and Irish/English accents that are floating my boat...???

Older flicks: Parenthood has an excellent soundtrack (that can usually be had for cutout prices) that is recorded better than most. It's a surprisingly intimate sound for a full orchestra score. Music by Randy Newman. (He sure can write for picture.)

We also watched Forrest Gump. It was the first time I'd seen it since it was released. Great sound and visual.

Oh, yeah! My daughter Lilly's favorites (and mine as well).

[*]Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
    [*]The Jungle Book (the original, animated, version)
    [*]The Sound Of Music
    [*]The Music Man

and last but not at all least,

[*]The Nightmare Before Christmas - All hail Danny Elfman. This one is excellent! He sings Jack Skelington's voice, as well. (Chris Sarandon, Prince Humperdink in The Princess Bride, provides Jack's speaking voice.) Great voice casting.

Neil

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 07-16-2001 at 10:44 AM

Soundclick
fntstcsnd

#967029 - 07/16/01 02:42 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
SatoriJoe Offline

Loc: ,,UNITED STATES
I really liked the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack. It's a cool movie too. And whether or not you like Fight Club you can't deny that the music fits perfectly with the mood and visuals.

Joey

#967030 - 07/16/01 03:14 PM Re: Heard Any Good Movies Lately?
Platinum Member

Slightly off-topic, but one beef I have with movie soundtrack albums is that the music tends to be too repetitive. If you're watching the film, you're not likely to notice that the "My Heart Will Go On" melody is repeated endlessly in the soundtrack for Titanic (although the soundtrack works great in the context of the film). However, if you listen to the soundtrack album from beginning to end, it sounds like one big commercial for the song...

Worse yet, some soundtracks don't play enough music from the movie. For example, I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the theater several times and noticed that the soundtrack album cut short the amazing drum-heavy music in the fight scenes. (They use that music at least twice in the film, and it only appears once in the soundtrack in a much-abbreviated version.)

Heck, I could've listened to 72 minutes of just the fight scene music. Anyone have any good CD recommendations for Asian drum music?

This message has been edited by popmusic on 07-16-2001 at 03:10 PM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >