Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great to be a keyboard player...But

JohnH

I've had this happen to me several times lately and it's a little embarrassing and annoying. First off, it's great to be a keyboard player and working all the time, I know I work more than if I went out as a guitarist, (there are a million of them) which I also play lead and rythm. (Keys are my main instrument). I'm out to see a friend's band and they have other musicians watching them. I get introduced as John the keyboard player, and then the other musicians descend on me telling me how much they need a keyboard player. Sheeesh. I'm just out to watch the band and now I have to stammer and explain that I'm fully booked. I'm sure it happens to you guys. I guess this is a really minor issue and I'm thankful to be in demand.

John

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, it's great to pick and choose the work you want. Enjoy it. If you're booked, make sure you get their name/number and call them back when you're free to consider the gig (if it seems like a good offer).

There are lots of musicians who would love to be in your shoes. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I guess this really isn't a problem, more that I was tired, half drunk when I was approached. And I should turn it around and get their number. I do have to turn down a lot of work every year and I guess that's a good thing.

John

I've had the same thing happen with me. One guy wanted me to tour with him (but he's a nobody and was willing to pay me a paltry $100 per gig to travel wherever). But I'm also busy with my band, and I play bass in a church band, so there is a level of commitment to both bands. Plus, I have a wife, a home, a 4-year old son and a 1-month old daughter. Unless the gig means touring with Paul McCartney, I just say no... hahahaha
Check out South Jersey's best classic rock and blues - Bad Whiskey! www.badwhiskey.com; myspace.com/badwhiskey

Yeah and this lady was mentioning the touring thing, and I just got a job at a company involving keyboards, that has health benefits, fulltime work. No touring for me either unless it's Paul McCartney (and I do know someone that knows one of McCartney's current guitarists.)

John

I agree, being a keyboard player is great especially having the option of picking and choosing gigs. I would work a lot more if I were open to smooth jazz but playing it puts me to.... :bor:

I have the opposite problem. Finding a guitarist has been an exercise. I thought we were supposed to be the prima donnas ;)

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Since you were half drunk, maybe you were introduced as a gardener, and everyone was actually asking you to come and do some weeding..?

"Me? I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk.."

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

From this day forward, when ye refer to this thread as the "SYOD" thread.....so it is written, so it shall be done!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I'm cool with "SYOD," and brother Bryce is generally more tolerant of cuss woids than I am, but I had to do a little bleeping on this one. In this particular case, it was vulgar enough that the People Who Sign My Paycheck (and keep this server plugged in) were concerned about parents seeing it and keeping their musically inclined kids from reading this forum. 'Nuff said.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

the People Who Sign My Paycheck (and keep this server plugged in) were concerned about parents seeing it and keeping their musically inclined kids from reading this forum.

Or from pulling a back muscle

:D;):D;)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Archived