Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just wishing everybody a happy Purim - the happiest day in the Jewish year! For all that are wondering what it is, Purim is the celebration of the downfall of one of history's great goons - Haman, who was outsmarted by Mordecai. What is interesting is how the story of Haman, Mordecai & Esther actually took place in...........IRAQ! The parralel is pretty amazing at the current world situation. We are all praying, once again, for a modern day Purim this year - for the downfall of evil, power-abusing dictators and for the people of peace to prevail. Let's hope Bush can pull it off! Purim is also the only holiday where Jews take it a little over the top. Drinking and making merry are the day's activities, along with giving charity, and showing friendship to comrades with presents, etc..... It's actually a rocking time for gigs too! I just had a SLAMMING gig at the main Purim party in town. Enjoy! :thu:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Save me a Hamentashen! (Man I miss having a Purim party at Hebrew School. My mom and others [i]always[/i] baked [i]wonderful[/i] Hamentashen! In the spirit of Soundscape's post; Hamentashen are triangular pastries. The shape is supposed to mirror the 3 pointed hat of Hamen, the evil instigator in the story of Esther. Our cantor (ritual vocalist) has a Purim rock sabbath service each year. I was raised with a more traditional, conservative background, but I love the open mindedness that encourages this kind of service every once in a while. Happy Purim! :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

([i]Please note:[/i] Most of you know me as [b]soapbox[/b], but this post is under my real name.) [b]Sruly[/b], I'm glad you're having such a great celebration! Thanks for your explanation of the significance of this holiday. Happy Purim to you and to [b]Neil[/b] and to all who celebrate today. :) Best, Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

And to give this thread some music relevance, during the reading of the Purim story, congregants drown out the mention of Haman's name with noisemakers, horns, whistles, etc. Esther, who was the Queen, was said to be stunning and help influenced the King, leading to him ditching his evil minister. So, the King may have done it all for the nookie. :D

So...to reiterate what I heard once... Roses are red Violets are bluish A leprechaun told me St. Patrick was Jewish... Well, if everyone's Irish on St. Paddy's day, so you get the O'Goldsteins, the O'Giancomos and the O'Suarezes, then everyone is Jewish on Purim! What color do I wear? I'll have to change my last name, let's see, Hoffman, oh wait, that's already Jewish. Like Bruce Springsteen. How come our names are Jewish and Bruce and I aren't? :D :D :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

"and me without any Hamantaschen... Darn! " I know how you feel. Not too much of that good stuff here in OK... I think I'll go visit the grandparents in Delray. mmmmmmmmm...Hamantaschen...:drool:

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Soundscape Studios: [b]C'mon Tedster, with a name like Hoffman, you gotta have [i]some[/i] jewish blood in you. Aye?[/b][/quote]Aye? OY!!![/b][/quote]It's the Frisco Kid! (Gene Wilder voice:) "C'mere ducky, ducky... I don't wanna hurt you... I just wanna [i]eat[/i] you... (Gene dives, duck flies off.) COME HERE DUCK! I JUST WANNA MAKE YOU [i]KOSHER[/i]!!!"

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Soundscape Studios: [b]C'mon Tedster, with a name like Hoffman, you gotta have [i]some[/i] jewish blood in you. Aye?[/b][/quote]Aye? OY!!![/b][/quote]It's the Frisco Kid! (Gene Wilder voice:) "C'mere ducky, ducky... I don't wanna hurt you... I just wanna [i]eat[/i] you... (Gene dives, duck flies off.) COME HERE DUCK! I JUST WANNA MAKE YOU [i]KOSHER[/i]!!!"[/b][/quote]I loved that flick!!! I got such a kick out of that scene where he's wandering through the desert (if THAT'S not Jewish, what is?) and he comes across what he thinks are Orthodox Jews, hats, beards, the whole bit. And it turns out that they're Amish, or Mennonites or something. And you can just see his face sink...hahaha...Gene Wilder does that sort of comedy impeccably. Don't see much of him these days. He did a couple of mystery movies for A&E that were pretty good.

[quote]Originally posted by paostby: [b]I'm circumcised. Can I party, too?[/b][/quote]And for those who aren't circumcised, I think Rabbi Tuckman (Mel Brooks) is having a special this week.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Tedster! Springsteen IS jewish. :D [/b][/quote]Works for me, but Adam Sandler said he wasn't. Yeah, I think I'm maybe like an eighth Jewish. Heck, the more the merrier. But I wasn't raised Jewish. Pass the matzohs and the Manieschewitz! :D

Sorry for being late, but Happy Purim to you all. :wave: And in the spirit of good fun and laughter, here's a couple of quotes from some famous Jews: Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil! -- Golda Meir Even if you are Catholic, if you live in New York you're Jewish. If you live in Butte, Montana, you are going to be goyish even if you are Jewish. --Lenny Bruce Look at Jewish history. Unrelieved lamenting would be intolerable. So, for every ten Jews beating their breasts, God designated one to be crazy and amuse the breast beaters. By the time I was five I knew I was that one. -- Mel Brooks

Yeah, Ted... Love Gene Wilder, in Frisco Kid, etc. My classic moment from that film was when Gene and Harrison Ford jump off a cliff into a river. Having exchanged cultural exclamations, Gene yells "Oh, Shiiiiiiittt!!!!" on the way down. Followed by Harrison screaming, "Oyyy Gevaaaaaallltttt!!!!" :D But you're going to have to wait a month before we pass the matzoahs and Manischevitz, for Passover, Ted! ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ahhh, the Jewish thread. Happy Purim. I have a few really close Jewish friends, one is a guy from New York, last name of London, great keyboard player, who loves country music, go figure. His wife is an extremely Orthodox Jew from Israel, she can't quite figure me out, but me and my friend get along really well. It's the same thing that happens on this forum, we're both musicians, so that gives us a lot of common ground. I don't know about all the history and whatever, but I really like Jewish people, in fact, they're just people to me. Let's start a Klezmer Band!

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]I think my favorite Jewish food is the deli food. Give me a chopped liver, pastrami and tongue on rye, w/ some spicy mustard please.[/b][/quote]The greatest thing in the world is a nice MLT- mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky. I love that. :D George, that's high praise considering your noble sandwich heritage. A pastrami and tongue sandwich is my favorite, with a round potato knish and a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda. Yes, it's celery flavored soda. Don't ask me to explain it because I can't.

Archived