Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction

While we're sitting here waiting for a war to start. I thought I'd see if anyone else watched the Police, AC/DC, the Clash and the rest of the class of 2003 get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last night? I'm sure VH-1 will re-air the show roughly 8,000 times in the next couple off weeks, but do check it out if you have a chance. A few thoughts: - Stewart Copeland remains an INSANELY great drummer. On the last song, he brock the head of his snare drum and [i]still[/i] sounded better than most drummers in the world. - Elvis Costello sounds amazingly good...he's actually improved with age. - When did Angus Young become an old man? He still plays like the kick-ass rocker he is, but looks like someone's accountant now. - The old photo of Gwen Stefani as a chubby 13 year old at a Police concert in 1983 should give hope to every young girl on the planet who wants to grow up and be spectacularly hot. By the way, I was at that show...Police with the Thompson Twins, Berlin and the Fixx opening. I was the geeky 15 year old who wouldn't have considered hooking uup with Gwen. Doh! Anyway, watch the show if you get a chance. It was cool. :thu: - Jeff

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sting is more interesting to me with the Police behind him. But it was still a little rough, aside from Copeland breaking his drum head. What can you expect though for guys that haven't played together in so long? There was definetely some rythmic tugging, ie Sting wanting to play at a certain tempo, and Copeland kind of deviating. It really made me realize that that kind of creates the sound of the Police. I kind of felt like Copeland and Summers were trying to show what they can do after not being in the spotlight for awhile. :thu:

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by G(Jazzbo)T3: [b]There was definetely some rythmic tugging, ie Sting wanting to play at a certain tempo, and Copeland kind of deviating. It really made me realize that that kind of creates the sound of the Police.[/b][/quote]Yes! I think the personal tension led to part of the sound of the band, like it or not. Jeff likee! :) - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Bob Keelan: [b]I think the Police still have a really good album in them.[/b][/quote]I agree. It'll never happen as much as I wish it could, but I definitely agree. - Jeff[/b][/quote]secret: I know from a good source that they're seriousely working on a reunion.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Andy Summer's choice of a Strat with tone-sucking Lace pickups was, in my opinion, a poor one. I couldn't tell what amp he was using, but the combination sounded like crap. He played OK, but there was something lacking... However, it was worth watching, especially to see/hear Stewart Copeland "snap" the hell out of that snare. Outstanding.

[quote]Originally posted by boosh: [b]secret: I know from a good source that they're seriousely working on a reunion.[/b][/quote]hmmm, well maybe but this is the official quote from Mr. Copeland http://billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1838744

[quote]Originally posted by RangerJay: [b]Andy Summer's choice of a Strat with tone-sucking Lace pickups was, in my opinion, a poor one. I couldn't tell what amp he was using, but the combination sounded like crap. He played OK, but there was something lacking...[/b][/quote]Agreed in one aspect...didn't sound too great. I suspect, though, that the Strat was fitted with a MIDI pickup, since at one point Andy seemed to be triggering "sound washes", i.e. synth pads. He's been a long-time user of Roland guitar synth stuff. [QUUOTE][b]However, it was worth watching, especially to see/hear Stewart Copeland "snap" the hell out of that snare. Outstanding.[/b][/QUOTE] Love the Stewie! - Jeff

That show was hard to watch. I tried to catch every music performance, but miss the speeches. The Police Rule. Copeland is amazing, and just seeing Summers there in his spot was cool. He has that foreward & back bobbing dance that is very Police. Like Angus' but different. I thought they sounded great. I heard they played [i]Message[/i], but I must have missed it. :( [img]http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/img/pg/main/4329.jpg[/img] no midi

Watched the show. Was cool. A little rough at times...Sting sounded like he was reaching for the notes a bit...and he bowed out of the "Put on the red light" chorus bit in "Roxanne" (the highest notes in the song). I was glad he did. The backup singers in the shadows for "Roxanne" (which may have included Stephen Tyler) sounded off. Tyler's harmony on "You Shook Me All Night Long" sounded a bit off too, but it was fun to see Tyler take the stage with AC/DC. I tuned in late, so I didn't see Elvis or the Clash.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Brakka.: [b]I heard they played [i]Message[/i], but I must have missed it. :( [/b][/quote]You didn't miss it...they just didn't air it. They only aired "Roxanne" and "Every Breath". - Jeff

I didn't watch the show (of course, since I don't watch TV) but I wanted to chime in my excitement at the prospect of the Police getting back together, that would be great! I really like Sting's solo albums up until Ten Summoner's Tales, but then he dried up as far as I'm concerned. I think the 'creative tension' is really what he needs to get back on top of the game musically. Anyone think the Floyd still have an album left in them?

Ooooh, Floyd? That's rough. They keep getting more and more new age.... yet I still think there are some very good songs there. I actually was never the biggest Waters fan, but there needs to be a ying to Gilmour's yang.

Hey, Anyone know if there's any FRENCH people in the RR Hall of Fame? :freak: Whoops... a bit OT. What's weird about the HOF to me is that when they were in their prime's, the groups that are being inducted would have SNEERED at the idea of being part of such an ESTABLISHMENT thing. What's the criteria for being elected anyway? Old age? :eek: guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by guitplayer: [b]What's the criteria for being elected anyway? Old age? :eek: [/b][/quote] [url=http://www.rockhall.com/hof/process.asp]RnR Hall of Fame Induction Process (link)[/url] "Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year." So, since the Police issued their first release in 1978, they were voted in during their first year of eligibility, as was the Clash. AC/DC did their first album in 1976, I believe. - Jeff - Jeff

How can you take it seriously? You don't even have to play rock 'n roll to get in! And it's all about setting up the public for the next inductees. Why else would the inductees be getting inducted by younger artists that are not even in the Hall Of Fame. John Mayer walking out on stage with Tyler and Stefani, to sing with the Police, puts it all in perspective. I mean no disrespect to Mayer either.

[quote]Originally posted by Bob Keelan: [b]Van Halen is eligible by now. They should be in, no?[/b][/quote]Probably. Almost all of VH's records went platinum, and I think it's safe to say that they had enough of an impact on other musicians and the rock gnre to deserve the induction. This would have been their first year of eligibility ([i]Van Halen I[/i] came out in February 1978). I wouldn't be surprised to see them there next year. I'm sure that it's very politically driven, so there may be reasons which aren't apparent to you and me if it's awhile before they get their nod. - Jeff

I love the Police. Way too much for a normal human being, too. My thoughts: * Sting's voice was KILLER last night, especially given the material. He hit notes I haven't heard him hit in years. And held them, too. * Copeland, while a thorn in the sides of the others, apparently, continues to be underappreciated in just about everything he does. I do think he tried a bit too hard last night; caught a couple of boners, and he turned things around for Sting a few too many times. No wonder Sting's annoyed with him. ;) * Somebody needed to shake Andy during rehearsals and wake him up to the inevitable suck tone. THAT was the BIGGEST disappointment of the show, next to the fact that the most hyped reunion of recent years was edited short and squashed to accomodate credits. AMAZINGLY ignorant, selfish, and stupid. I'll find other adjectives, later, to toss in the mix. :mad: * Old film and video footage of them in the early days always brings a tear to the eye, as we'll never have the vitality, creativity, intelligence, cleverness, talent, and confidence that their union had, in rock and roll again. :( Nor will the music industry ever allow that to be the dominant thrust in a musical act. Miles Copeland pulled the last of the wunderkind manager deal scores with A&M and 'Roxanne'. * I, too, think they've got one more album in them, but if it never comes about, I'm very happy with the music they've left us, both collectively and individually. If they're gonna do another tour, Andy'd better get in shape...he was looking kinda jowly, and we desperately need him to do his Nureyev routine again. Jumping and shouting, yessir....jumping and shouting. A few goofy poses, a few funny faces 'cause they're fucking with each other on stage. Yep. I'm nostalgic for it, and I'm not ashamed.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp: [b]If they're gonna do another tour, Andy'd better get in shape...he was looking kinda jowly, and we desperately need him to do his Nureyev routine again.[/b][/quote]Well, the Police ain't [i]never[/i] gonna tour again, or do albums together, or anything, in my humble opinion. I'm an optimist, but I'm also a realist. All things considered, Andy is the oldest of them all (they're each five years apart...Andy to Sting, Sting to Stewart). That's why he's looking a little more ragged than the others. He turned 60 on December 31. Sting is 55. Stewart is 50. Just writing that gave me an ill feeling of my own mortality that is making want to stop addressing this topic now, so that's what I'll do. :eek: - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: ...Andy is the oldest of them all (they're each five years apart...Andy to Sting, Sting to Stewart). That's why he's looking a little more ragged than the others. He turned 60 on December 31. Sting is 55. Stewart is 50.[/QB][/quote]Holy shit :confused: :freak:

Although it doesn't seem likely, now seems the perfect time for one more effort from the Police. Sting's career isn't what it was 10 yrs. ago. I'd be soooo interested to see what they'd sounded like with today's sonics.

My guess is, probably not as good as they did in the first time around...something about the sonics of the time, combined with the raw energy, gave them the momentum they needed. Zenyatta Mondatta was recorded and mixed in a disturbingly short amount of time with a disturbingly short amount of sleep; they've long considered it to be one of their weaker efforts, yet look where it sits in pop history. Back then, they were unpolished sophistication. Now that they're polished and wisened, there would have to be some pretty fucking phenomenal writing for them to kill again. Not that I don't think they can do it, but it will take a bigger effort than before.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived