Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dp2.72 help

so me being a slo-tools le guy, i have probs with dp. i figured out how to import files into dp via the sounbite window, and have a 19 track mix imported from pro tools (rrr-that was hard!) 1. i am still learning dp, but i like how you can define your own amount of voices, mono and stereo, and how you can have (it seems) as many as you want! (unlike protools le) 2. i imported my protools mix into the soundbite window, but had to drag each track over one-at-a-time to the tracks window. i could not find a way to grab them all at the same time. is there a way i am overlooking? 3. i still cant seem to make the tracks in the tracks window bigger than they are. i also cannot find a way to identify what the name of the soundfile is unless i go into the track edit window and scroll over the track (?) 4. if i change the location of a track in the tracks window, it does not change the location of the channel strip in the mix window. i find this hard to work with. 5. most importantly, i find i get distortion when i have a lot of tracks. the signal from my am3 card comes out clean, as well as each track, but altogether they get a little fuzzy. this is from the same material as from protools. is this common in dp, or am i missing something? like i said, i am NEW to dp, have only 20hours or so working with it. i like the freedom i get inside the app. i like the pluggo plugins- they are neat. dp does not seem more efficient than pt like i had hoped, and bogs down even worse than pt does when i get about 20+tracks going - but i seem to be able to have "virtual tracks" like the old PT. any advice from you DP oldtimers to an old PT guy? i just want to learn.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Coaster, I don't really have the answers to your questions, but I would recommend that you check out [url=http://www.unicornation.com]www.unicornation.com[/url] as a great resource for DP users. They have a mailing list which is very helpful and informative, and there is also a Message Board at the site which I'm not too familiar with. Well, I do have one idea. For #5, have you tried adjusting your buffer settings? You could also try lowering your MacOS disk cache to a very low amount like 512k. Good luck! DP is truly a great piece of software.

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b]so me being a slo-tools le guy, i have probs with dp. i figured out how to import files into dp via the sounbite window, and have a 19 track mix imported from pro tools (rrr-that was hard!) 1. i am still learning dp, but i like how you can define your own amount of voices, mono and stereo, and how you can have (it seems) as many as you want! (unlike protools le) > Go to the basics menu, then "configure studio size" The size you can make depends on your computer - it's not unlimited 2. i imported my protools mix into the soundbite window, but had to drag each track over one-at-a-time to the tracks window. i could not find a way to grab them all at the same time. is there a way i am overlooking? 3. i still cant seem to make the tracks in the tracks window bigger than they are. i also cannot find a way to identify what the name of the soundfile is unless i go into the track edit window and scroll over the track (?) > instead of tracks window, you should open the sequence window 4. if i change the location of a track in the tracks window, it does not change the location of the channel strip in the mix window. i find this hard to work with. >you can grab any channel in the mixer window and position it wherever you want 5. most importantly, i find i get distortion when i have a lot of tracks. the signal from my am3 card comes out clean, as well as each track, but altogether they get a little fuzzy. this is from the same material as from protools. is this common in dp, or am i missing something? >not normal - check your "memory" meter - is it maxed out? like i said, i am NEW to dp, have only 20hours or so working with it. i like the freedom i get inside the app. i like the pluggo plugins- they are neat. dp does not seem more efficient than pt like i had hoped, and bogs down even worse than pt does when i get about 20+tracks going - but i seem to be able to have "virtual tracks" like the old PT. >it's a deep program chug through the manual you'd be suprised at what it can do. any advice from you DP oldtimers to an old PT guy? i just want to learn. [/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by coaster: [b] 1. i am still learning dp, but i like how you can define your own amount of voices, mono and stereo, and how you can have (it seems) as many as you want! (unlike protools le)[/b][/quote] It IS basically unlimited. The voices set in the "configure studio size" refers to the voices column in the tracks window. You can have,say,only 1 "voice" set in the studio size, but have 100tracks of voices recorded, with the uppermost track the only one playing. StudioVision was more elegant in this regard, but it works. [b]2. i imported my protools mix into the soundbite window, but had to drag each track over one-at-a-time to the tracks window. i could not find a way to grab them all at the same time. is there a way i am overlooking?[/b] With a lot of tracks, just drag all the files from the Finder straight into the soundbites window, then you don't have to deal with all the popup messages. [b]3. i still cant seem to make the tracks in the tracks window bigger than they are. i also cannot find a way to identify what the name of the soundfile is unless i go into the track edit window and scroll over the track (?) dp does not seem more efficient than pt like i had hoped, and bogs down even worse than pt does when i get about 20+tracks going - [/b][/QUOTE] assign more memory not to the app, but in the cache setting in...I think it differs with the gear...somewhere in the basics menu, sorry can't remember. 3.0 addressed the other issues such as enlargening the track sizes in all the windows I think, as well as better zooming and basically all my complaints, I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. Raul
Raul

thanks for advice and for the link i went and checked out [url=http://www.unicornation.com]www.unicornation.com[/url] very informative stuff, i even saw alphajerk there but did not recognize anyone else. i still think dp is exciting! i like it so far even though i am still a boob. it takes 45 minutes in dp to do what i can do in 5 seconds in pt but i am getting better! a guy gets set in his ways yaknow.

Archived