Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording direct to Nuendo?

Well.....I've got a really nice front end....API's, Neves, Telefunkens, UA pres/compressors, old Altec units, 160x's, DrawmerS, Valley Dynamites, Joe Meek...etc. Great mics....Neumann CMV's, U47 Fet, Royers, 414's, 421's, M260's, Shures, etc...mixdown to an MCI 1/2" 2...blah blah....And, my question, which is irking me....After having run all this great stuff, and made some pretty good rock recordings, in the past year (that's it!), by recording to an Akai DPS 16(PLEASE DON'T SCREAM)...cause that's what I had and knew, and I was waiting for some developments to happen in this weird digital world, I am now going to go through an Apogee AD16 and record direct into Nuendo. Mixing should be a breeze (right?)....My lingering question is - SHOULD I BE DOING THIS? OR, SHOULD I JUST GET A HALFWAY DECENT BOARD AND A 24 OR 16 TRACK TAPE MACHINE, GO THERE FIRST AND THEN, DUMP IT INTO DIGITAL......AM I MISSING HALF THE WORLD IF I GO STRAIGHT IN, THROUGH ALL THE JUICY GEAR I GOT, INTO HARD DISK (LIKE I'VE BEEN DOING...WHICH I'M A BIT TIRED OF, ESPECIALLY MY EARS.....)....WILL THESE APOGEES AND 24/96 SOUND A UNIVERSE AWAY FROM THE 16 BIT STAND ALONE DAW I'VE BEEN USING???? CAN I CREATE THE HARMONICLY RICH UNIVERSE WITHOUT HITTING TAPE DURING TRACKING??? OPINIONS ARE SINCERELY WELCOME.... SUGGESTIONS....SCOLDINGS....NEW BRAINS....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by earthstardude: [b]Well.....I've got a really nice front end....API's, Neves, Telefunkens, UA pres/compressors, old Altec units, 160x's, DrawmerS, Valley Dynamites, Joe Meek...etc. Great mics....Neumann CMV's, U47 Fet, Royers, 414's, 421's, M260's, Shures, etc...mixdown to an MCI 1/2" 2...blah blah....And, my question, which is irking me....After having run all this great stuff, and made some pretty good rock recordings, in the past year (that's it!), by recording to an Akai DPS 16(PLEASE DON'T SCREAM)...cause that's what I had and knew, and I was waiting for some developments to happen in this weird digital world, I am now going to go through an Apogee AD16 and record direct into Nuendo. Mixing should be a breeze (right?)....My lingering question is - SHOULD I BE DOING THIS? OR, SHOULD I JUST GET A HALFWAY DECENT BOARD AND A 24 OR 16 TRACK TAPE MACHINE, GO THERE FIRST AND THEN, DUMP IT INTO DIGITAL......AM I MISSING HALF THE WORLD IF I GO STRAIGHT IN, THROUGH ALL THE JUICY GEAR I GOT, INTO HARD DISK (LIKE I'VE BEEN DOING...WHICH I'M A BIT TIRED OF, ESPECIALLY MY EARS.....)....WILL THESE APOGEES AND 24/96 SOUND A UNIVERSE AWAY FROM THE 16 BIT STAND ALONE DAW I'VE BEEN USING???? CAN I CREATE THE HARMONICLY RICH UNIVERSE WITHOUT HITTING TAPE DURING TRACKING??? OPINIONS ARE SINCERELY WELCOME.... SUGGESTIONS....SCOLDINGS....NEW BRAINS....[/b][/quote]

It'll sound better going straight in,plus you'll have more options once it's there.I use to do something similar with my Roland VS,then dump it into my PC DAW,but when I got more power and some better Pre's I went straight in and the difference was quite noticeable,and the Roland is 20 bit with half decent converters.One thing though,if your new to seting up a new powerful PC DAW be prepared for a learning curve in the setup it's self,and the software.If your using a Mac get all the power you can afford.These days I use my Roland for live recording occasionally and sometimes as a controller.Once you get over the hurdles you wont want to do it any other way.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Let me tell you something - I was in the same sitch as you.I had 2 inch and I also had a Roland VS-1680 I loved, and was tracking with awesome tube gear, Fearn, Neve, Neumann, blah, blah, blah.... I realized after a while that it's about time I got REAL! Bought Nuendo - just finished a long session with it and saw this post. Screw the learning curve, I'll teach it to you - I was recording in a day - it's that easy.There is no turning back after recording to a rockin' DAW. Steinberg support sucks, but Nuendo is great - and just wait for v.2 - people are predicting the beginning of the end for slo-tools with this version. Plug-ins, VSTi, grammy winning albums to it's credit - Nuendo is a major player. If you need help setting up a system, just ask!

If you're going to spend major $$$ then take the time to audition different converters. Apogee, RME, Metric Halo, Lucid, whatever. Maybe buy a set for tracking 8/16/24 that you can afford and then a very good 2 channel D/A for monitoring? Are you going through a desk or are you going to mix in software? Have you considered a control surface? Anyway, the first choice is a no-brainer - go and buy Nuendo now and you'll get to keep your 1.x dongle as well as the free 2.0 one you'll recive when the upgrade ships (shouldn't be too long now) You can load 1.6 on another machine and use the system link to add more horsepower or use it to run VSTi's, etc.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I recently took part in a blind test of Nuendo and Samplitude. Of the 4 participants, all agreed that Nuendo changes the audio when recorded. We were using the AD16 as well and recorded identical sources into WaveLab, Samplitude and Nuendo. Samplitude and WaveLab sounded the same, but Nuendo appeared to all to have a high end boost as well as a 200-400 Hz bump. Vocals recorded into Nuendo had a harsher high end and would have needed a de-esser to tame the sibalence. The Samplitude files had a tighter bottom octave and smooth high end. The Samplitude vocal tracks were much less in need of additional processing. This was a preliminary test. Once Nuendo 2 is released we are going to run another blind test with Samplitude, Nuendo, Logic and Sonar. I'll post a link for the files when we do the next test so that all may make their own observations. I'd like to include PT, but their design does not allow for the AD16 to be used.

[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]I recently took part in a blind test of Nuendo and Samplitude. Of the 4 participants, all agreed that Nuendo changes the audio when recorded. We were using the AD16 as well and recorded identical sources into WaveLab, Samplitude and Nuendo. Samplitude and WaveLab sounded the same, but Nuendo appeared to all to have a high end boost as well as a 200-400 Hz bump. Vocals recorded into Nuendo had a harsher high end and would have needed a de-esser to tame the sibalence. The Samplitude files had a tighter bottom octave and smooth high end. The Samplitude vocal tracks were much less in need of additional processing. This was a preliminary test. Once Nuendo 2 is released we are going to run another blind test with Samplitude, Nuendo, Logic and Sonar. I'll post a link for the files when we do the next test so that all may make their own observations. I'd like to include PT, but their design does not allow for the AD16 to be used.[/b][/quote]Interesting, so you're saying that Nuendo's audio engine actually changes the sound?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Not that it makes a difference, but this year alone had a few Grammy winning recordings done in Nuendo - Korn, Dixie Chicks, Knopfler etc..... What was the last big recording done in Samplitude? Not to say that Samplitude isn't better sounding than Nuendo, but Nuendo is definetely a pro DAW moreso than Samplitude. IMHO of course. :p

Question for Alndln and Soundscape. I am a musician and not an engineer but my son just laid a beautiful Roland VS 1880 on me which I am loving. (Every father should be so blessed) Right now all I have is a Shure SM58 mike which I plug directly into the Roland. Basically I'm just doing demo's of my own original material where I sing a little and play trombone. I also have a Proteus sound module and a Roland digital piano along with an Alesis sequencer with which I create my rhythm tracks. My question is what would you suggest might be the single most important piece of gear I might acquire next to enhance the performance of my VS 1880 in the context of the usage mentioned above? BTW the VS 1880 is 24 bit. Thanks Lincoln

[quote]What was the last big recording done in Samplitude? Not to say that Samplitude isn't better sounding than Nuendo, but Nuendo is definetely a pro DAW moreso than Samplitude [/quote]I don't care for the hype of "big recordings" but I know that Lots of great classical and world/ambient recordings were done with Samplitude. One of my favorite albums of 2002 by Kin Za Za was also done in Samlitude and mastered by Scott Hull. Bob Katz is using both Sequoia (High end Samplitude)and Sonic Solutions HD. I'm mostly doing film/tv sampling and I prefer Samlitude to any other editor.

Concerning the comparison of DAW's, check out 3D Audios (3Daudio.com) current test (still ongoing but results are starting to come in). This is the first time I have heard a negative report on Nuendo's sound, very interested in your future tests. BTW PT Mix+ would use the ADAT bridge and PT HD the optical in on any of the new interfaces to hook up the AD16.

Chris R. Gibson

aka Loopy C

Micworks

Ken Tamplin Mastering

[quote]Originally posted by Loopy C: [b]Concerning the comparison of DAW's, check out 3D Audios (3Daudio.com) current test (still ongoing but results are starting to come in). This is the first time I have heard a negative report on Nuendo's sound, very interested in your future tests. BTW PT Mix+ would use the ADAT bridge and PT HD the optical in on any of the new interfaces to hook up the AD16.[/b][/quote]I'd wait for the final release of these tests before judging Nuendo ;)

Archived