Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OS X users... How to fine tune up my Mac G4 for Music?

Hello there As you all know I've been a PC geek for years until 6 months ago when I got a new and exciting job which happened to include a shiny G4 Titanium and lots of cool new toys. I've been using it for 6 months on a daily basis and it works pretty fine. However I've been wondering what to do to make sure it is optimized for music apps. It actually is a music machine (Reason and Live). It has OSX 10.2 (Jaguar). Do anyone of you know hot to do some tweaking in order to improve its performance for music? It's a 667 MHz, PowerPC G4 Mac with 512 RAM.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAM RAM RAM...(i.e. upgrade to 1 GB if you can) [url=http://www.osxhints.com]www.osxhints.com[/url] is the next best place to dig around. There is a program called Mac Janitor that cleans up your system ala Norton's utilities, and it works pretty well. I have an 800 Ti with 1 GB, and really have very few performance issues with it.

I'm as new to Macs as you are and I haven't found any tweaks ... there doesn't seem to be anything in the OS to tweak!
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I'm as new to Macs as you are and I haven't found any tweaks ... there doesn't seem to be anything in the OS to tweak![/b][/quote]I am figuring it out after reading those excellent links our friends have provided... not too much tweaking !!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

OS X is pretty damn nice.....I have a student assistant who is a guru on it, and he has very little to offer on performance tweaks except running maintenance utils (like Mac Janitor) once in a while. The OSX AUDIO link provided above is a cool site..I totally forgot about it. I just loaded Virtual PC w/ XP on mine Friday....Runs great. First time I have one do-it-all computer in a long time...

Archived